Hobby Search

bill937ca

Hello JR500,

Regarding http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10206567

Did you see ... *Package is damaged but there is no problem on the item itself. ... This is the problem with HS sale items.

lots of non sale items have that also.  it isn't just sale items.

finding something like the above item in 100% factory condition boxing is gonna be hard when they source this stuff from smaller retailers or one turns up in a weird location in a warehouse.

i have purchased a damage packaging item before.  the outer green cardboard box the tatty corners.  that was it.

Edited by katoftw

I've yet to receive a damaged box set from HS, but there is a disclaimer there from HS.

The thing is, the reservation thing is quite a good function to have, as these rare sets are hard to find and often cost lots more elsewhere like Yahoo Auctions once the item goes discontinued.

More bargains uploaded. Seems like HS is clearing its stock quite aggressively. I got a little lucky and ran away with some good bargains ~~ :)

I buy trains to run, not for the condition of the box, after taking them to a few train shows some of my boxes are pretty tatty looking too.

I don't worry about the condition of the boxes either. Once I unpack a model, the detailing parts and the decals, the box goes in the bin.

My trains live in a display case, and they go to the club or exhibitions in customised storage/transport cases.

Cheers,

Mark.

I don't worry about the condition of the boxes either. Once I unpack a model, the detailing parts and the decals, the box goes in the bin.

My trains live in a display case, and they go to the club or exhibitions in customised storage/transport cases.

Cheers,

Mark.

? You throw the beautiful storage cases away?   :confused5:

How about the instructional manual?

The empty cases can be sold for some extra cash though... Also it might be difficult to sell them off later shall the need/ want require...

No, I don't. Remember I'm modelling in HO scale, so most of the models I buy just come in a cardboard box with a styrofoam insert. The instruction sheets I keep in a file, separated by  train type and manufacturer. I make a note of when and where I bought the model on the sheet, plus any extra details I've added or modifications I've made. I also make a note of what weathering colours and media I used on the model so that if it needs to be refinished later I can match the colours easily. My books and models are insured, so I've always recorded the price I paid for each model on a separate list.

All the best,

Mark.

i keep the case.  the cardboard slip over box is next to useless.  who cares if it is tatty.

Yeah, I throw that away unless it's a special edition of some sort.

Actually I kinda think the cases look cool with the covers. I place them on a bookshelf cabinet and I've got visitors not even knowing they're train sets, but thinking they are hard cover books!

No, I don't. Remember I'm modelling in HO scale, so most of the models I buy just come in a cardboard box with a styrofoam insert.

Oopps forgot about that. Not sure of HO scale trains, but they don't come in cases?

None of the model trains I've bought came in cases. The Tomix buses and trucks are the only HO models I've seen with cases. 

Cheers,

Mark.

Is anyone else having trouble with Hobby Search? It seems to be down in the sense that you can pick up the listings but the moment you click on an item (for example the Kato 3 stall roundhouse) it gives an error message.  I have tried it with both the fixed computer and IPhone with the same problem.

It sort off happens as and when, I think recent outburst of bargain items over-loaded the server.... Which is why I also check out quickly for bargain items, and then shop slowly later for other items and add into the existing order. You might cart the item but without checking out, it's not secured...

I have to admit HS has quite an upsurge of 500 server errors lately...

Yeah I looked at the items last night.  All crpa for now.  Last time they added items regularly.  So keep checking back, they may have something of real interest soon.

According to an e-mail from Hobby Search there will be again Bargain Sale between 2015.02.12 and 02.25. The sale start from 7:00 pm today, Japan time.

Edited by IST
  • Like 1

No it is normally alot of crap. Would be rare to find something you really wanted.

Although I am tempted by the 817 series at 30% off.

Edited by katoftw

There are certainly a couple of (relative) HO bargains there, if you can live with that freakishly oversized scale ;)

Anyway I found 3 N items of possible interest.

BTW, does anyone know if there's a way to get the Hobby Search site to display in English in Japan? It's not a problem for me, but every now and again I want to send a link to someone in kaigai and am never sure if it will show up correctly.

• Like 1

I got one of these a few weeks back, I'm sure you'll be very happy with it! There's some video of it running on my Flickr page.

Cheers,

Mark.

BTW, does anyone know if there's a way to get the Hobby Search site to display in English in Japan? It's not a problem for me, but every now and again I want to send a link to someone in kaigai and am never sure if it will show up correctly.

The whole time I was in Japan I couldn't access the english site. Even my laptop which has the enligh site as a fav couldn't. Also even if I typed "eng" into the address bar. Always jusy kept reverting back to JP site.