What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

Have you had a good look at this site, it has some really good shots of the composition of rakes and how there seems to be a rather eclectic mix of wagons, the only fixed sets that you see are Koki 100-101's and Koki 102-103's in their four car sets, but even then they are only part of the train with Koki 104, 106 and 107's mixed into the rest of the train.

http://hensoku-shock.at.webry.info/theme/0036b9e27b.html

I hate you.  I now have to go look for 106s.  And the ZM8A container with wheels in it.

• Like 1

A few days ago I finally received two long awaited sets.

First of, is Microace A9656/A9657 a 0系 16 car Nh formation. This formation represents JR Tōkai Nh (hikari) formation Nh49 as she appeared between 1992~1995 in a correct mix of 0番台 and 1000番台 cars (MA is the first to provide a 100% accurate, post 1980 16 car formation in term of sub-types used). As both the Nh formations and the 1000番台 cars are my favorites among the many variations the 0系 had during its long service life, and because one can never own too many 0系 sets, I didn't hesitate for a second to pre-order the full 16 car set last year.

DSC_0039_zps8nhwlwqq.jpg

Nose shot of the 211000番台, I always love the printed details MA provides feels like a nice step up from both Kato and Tomix (though Kato often prints at least the formation numbers with their newer shinkansen sets).

DSC_0056_zpsz8qed7hv.jpg

The full 16 car formation.

DSC_0042_zpspbwwlxas.jpg

Interval between cars (211000番台 on the left, 260番台 on the right (500番台 actually)) Although some of the improvements over their older models are visible (especially their new model of the PS200 pantograph, which in my opinion is the best looking model of this pantograph bar none, also note the painted white stripes on top of the seats, simulating the white headrest cover used on the old 0番台/1000番台 seats) and while MA provided the most detailed car ends of all the available 0系 models (a significant improvement over their earlier 0系 models, even though they where quite sufficient them self) the gap between both cars is quite noticeable. Though I'm not sure if this was the case with their older releases as well, it is an unfortunate compromise for an otherwise excellent model. To give an idea about the size of the gap, I compared it to my Kato 0系 model (equipped with Kato's tight lock couplers as opposed to the Rapidos):

DSC_0051_zpsyifmoqoq.jpg

As can be seen in the picture, the coupler interval between the Kato model (front) and Microace model (rear) is quite noticeably in favor of the Kato model, even though the MA model wins in terms of detailing and accuracy (It's a shame MA doesn't sell spare parts, the diaphragms MA developed for this model would be a perfect fit to improve the car ends of the Kato model).

As the 0番台 cars seem to use the mold of earlier MA 0番台 cars, some small prototypical inaccuracies arise. As the original Microace model represents one of the first batches of 00番台 cars which had the first design of the emergency escape hatch used until batch 13 (the escape hatch could be found near the center of the car for both 0番台 and 1000番台, with exception of 36形 and 37形 cars, it was eliminated with the introduction of the 2000番台 cars in 1981), the design of the emergency hatch changed with batches 14~15 and gained it's final form with batch 16, while all 0番台 car numbers used in the latest model are later batch 19 model which should have used the same design as the 1000番台 cars found in the same formation as opposed to the earlier design used with this the model. It's a minor detail for sure, but for someone who cares about the tiny prototype related differences I still think it is a bit of a shame. Same goes for some of the detail differences between the older model and the new one (molded car designation versus printed, molded emergency escape hatch versus printed outline).

​In the end however, I still consider this to be one of the best 0系 models released and I think MA deserves a lot of praise for this model, and in the end it was worth the year long wait (it was supposed to be released in August 2014).

Second is another Microace 0系 set, MA9658 this time representing a 6 car JR West (W)R formation, formation R14 as she appeared between 1991~1992 (before she got her pantograph covers, and the re-shuffling of some of her cars in 1992). Modeling wise she is more or less similar to the other MA model, with the obvious exception of the composition of formation itself, as well as some JR West specific details (mainly the large JR logos on the side).

for more info about both prototypes see my reply in the following thread:

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/10498-0-series-shinkansen-0-1000-r14-hikari-organized-shuttle-6-car-set/?do=findComment&comment=121245

DSC_0059_zpsg1ugibwa.jpg

Next to her much longer sister.

DSC_0055_zpscor5psrj.jpg

Full 6 car formation.

DSC_0068_zpsfqg6qct7.jpg

With her Tōkaidō/Sanyō shinkansen sisters, only missing a 700系 C formation to complete the 1964~2000 section.

DSC_0069_zpsnbjdtvci.jpg

With her fellow 0系 sisters (cars displayed in order of appearance of the modeled formation, not the specific sub-type).

Last but not least is another addition to my growing 'getaden' collection.

The also delayed (though much less so then the 0系 sets) Kato model of a Iida-sen 51系/52系/70系 mix. Representing a specific mix of 52系 (KuMoHa52/SaHa48 streamlined end car, often referred to as 'galvanic' iirc) 70系 (MoHa75) and 51系 (KuMoHa54, semi streamlined type) cars as it appeared around 1975.

It's also a very nice set, though unfortunately my model has a misprinted car number on one side of the MoHa75 (I'm already in contact with HS to hopefully fix this) which is kind of a bummer.

DSC_0031_zpsboityior.jpg

KuMoHa52, I always liked the look of the 52系, especially after the skirts had been removed during the war.

DSC_0035_zpsprvsv6gt.jpg

Full formation, note the semi-streamlined KuMoHa54-100 on the right.

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af17/Shinkansen200/Model%20Train%20Collection/DSC_0029_zpsaqdnqubi.jpg

Misprinted car number...

I do love the Iida line releases from Kato.

Absolutely! I love the 'getaden'!:

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af17/Shinkansen200/Model%20Train%20Collection/DSC_0064_zpsexlnpppc.jpg

I unfortunately missed the first two 2013 releases though (another model I wanted was released in the same period).

anyway, that's it again, it became a bit of a mini-review with a lot of pictures...

Edited by 200系
  • Like 6
Das Steinkopf

I hate you. I now have to go look for 106s. And the ZM8A container with wheels in it.

Don't worry I feel your pain as well, I have a decent amount of UM12A's but I would really love to get my hands on some of the other Mugai varities such as UM8A and UM14A's.

Thank you, I always appreciate the support, means a lot to me, it truly does.

That said, she sure is a beauty isn't she?

Love the uniform look. The next shinkansen for me will be the 300 series...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

Love the uniform look. The next shinkansen for me will be the 300 series...

Good luck with that my friend... I am also searching for the 300 series for a long time... Not the 92639 7-car set which is readily available but the newer sets with the power couplers. It seems they are out of production and hard to find (for a reasonable price that is) now... 

• Like 1

Good luck with that my friend... I am also searching for the 300 series for a long time... Not the 92639 7-car set which is readily available but the newer sets with the power couplers. It seems they are out of production and hard to find (for a reasonable price that is) now...

Sounds like me. We will find it in time...I'm hopeful.

Martijn Meerts

Interestingly, I recently received the Tomix 92810, which is the 6-car add on set for the first 300 series release with power conducting couplers. I had the base set and the 4-car add on from before, but somehow never got the 6-car add on (even though I did order it when I ordered the other sets). David (Loco1hobby) managed to snatch a used set from yahoo auctions, and the thing looks like new. Finally completed my 300 series shinkansen ;)

Also received the JNR 72.73 Gotenbasen (Tomix 92484), which is a lovely little train. And also a JNR EF65-500 freight version (Kato 3060-2). And some other small things as well, mainly for testing.

• Like 1
Das Steinkopf

Mr EMS came a knocking today with my latest batch of goodies from Nariichi, included in the batch is a 4 car rake of Koki 100-101's that he kindly purchased from Yahoo Auctions for me. I now have most of the 100 Series Koki's with the exception of Koki 105 and Koki 110's, given the small numbers that were produced of those two types I am not really worried about getting them. I also got some more containers and a Wamu 380000, since I am modelling contemporary JRF the Wamu will not be used on any trains, I am going to have it sitting up the back of the yard abandoned at the end of a siding.

post-3083-0-05156000-1441331181_thumb.jpg

Edited by Das Steinkopf
  • Like 1

100-101s, now do I need more Kokis?  My illness says yes.  I do need to get another 12 car koki case for the single 200 that doesn't have a home, and I will need to fill it otherwise it will be very empty. haha

Edited by katoftw
Das Steinkopf

100-101s, now do I need more Kokis? My illness says yes.

Once you have a Koki addiction it's pretty hard to draw the line ;)

Edited by Das Steinkopf

Just went to TamTam and got myself a few details (circular coolers and antennae) for my Kantō Tetsudō KiHa 100 projects. Next to that, I wanted to grab a Tetsudō Collection No. 19 car for the details it has: air conditioner units (AU27 type) and skirts (Niigata Transys types). I was wishing for a simple and unwanted type, so I would have no remorse pulling it apart. Guess what:

1441351065117.jpg

Apart from the 'secret', this is probably the most wanted one from the collection. The Sanriku Railway 36-500 type.

Because I'm not a collector, I think I'll just take it apart and experiment with them for moulds. I wanted to do experiment with moulding anyway, so this may be a good opportunity. Maybe they will survive this process and can return unharmed to the donor.

Edited by Toni Babelony
  • Like 2

The Sanriku line is very endearing, isn't it? I have four of their railcars in B Train Shorty form trundling around my micro-layout at the moment and am sorely tempted to buy the pair with the pink floral design to complete the set.

Today's post produced the Tomix 92308 add-on pack for my 500 Series "Nozomi":

20150904_143904_zpsmqcksdjj.jpg

Seen here with the basic pack (actually the earlier 92082, but the paint matches perfectly and the couplers are identical) and one of the 8835 additional coaches, not seen here: my other 8835 and the 2876 second motorised coach. I'm still hopeful of finding the 92307 and a couple of extra 8835s, but ten coaches look a lot better than six!

The only difference between the 9208x and 9230x versions of this train is that the earlier model lacks glazing in door windows at the end of the coaches, which is barely noticeable until you get right down to eye level. I'd imagine the motor on the more recent model to be better, but this still has proper cardan shafts instead of the coil spring drive some older Tomix locos were saddled with.

Edited by Welshbloke
  • Like 1

The Sanriku line is very endearing, isn't it?

This is my first and probably the last Sanriku train I'll ever have. Although I am a fan of their resilience, I don't care much about their rolling stock and fandom. It's just too much off the beaten track for me.

This is my first and probably the last Sanriku train I'll ever have. Although I am a fan of their resilience, I don't care much about their rolling stock and fandom. It's just too much off the beaten track for me.

I think I see a lot of the Llangollen Railway in their operations. The LR is inland and a preserved railway rather than an out and out business, but runs a single line through pretty scenery and has a small fleet of diesel railcars (along with steam and diesel locos).

That tram case reminds me, I must get one of the empty Kato book cases and a B Train Shorty foam insert for it sometime. At the moment they're all lined up on a few spare Unitrack sections on a shelf here.

Edited by Welshbloke

Today was the first time to actually go to an event to get my hands on one special item. I didn't plan on going, but a friend talked me into it... Since I don't really actively collect any trains from around the neighbourhood (weirdly, I stick to Keisei (Tokyo and Chiba) and recently the Kantō Railway (Ibaraki)), I thought this would be a good chance to add a new member to my small Sōtetsu collection:

IMG_20150906_140952.jpg

The 新7000 Series went on sale today at Futamatagawa station, where I bought two. Maybe I should have bought four, but because of my finances and not really wanting to invest in long consists, I settled for a 4-car train. Maybe I'll get more sets when there some left when my financial situation improves. It's a very nice model and I'm quite pleased with it.

Next to that, I bought a MoNi2000 type inspection train set to complement the Sōtetsu family. These used to run in a 3-car formation, but there is only one left, standing at Kashiwadai, so I also settled for one set (leaving the other car for a rebuild project).

• Like 2

So I picked up a small SAL parcel from HS yesterday... Through registered SAL. Interesting option, and it took around 2 weeks to arrive.

Containing a hard to find set the Kato 10-1107 287 series Kounotori 4-car basic set. Yap I have been looking at this one for sometime now and it is mostly sold out elsewhere so bit the bullet to get it while HS still has the last few... I am now able to create a beautiful 287 series Kounotori 4 car + 3 car Kuroshio livery like this:  :)

And some smaller track items, especially the incline/ decline pier set so that I can experiment physically the physics of the inclines/ declines for my layout (more on that in the layout thread)  

post-819-0-89367800-1441535126_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-31950200-1441535134_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-33631700-1441535138_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-36529300-1441535142_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-78328000-1441535146_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-63993900-1441535150_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-81821100-1441535154_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-49074600-1441535158_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Another B Train Shorty pack arrived (second 500 Series Shinkansen "Kodama" B set).

Unfortunately nobody seems to have any of the A set for sane money. Trying to work out if it'll come back into stock, or whether paying double what the B's cost to someone on Amazon Marketplace is my only hope. I have a four car set now but one of the cab cars is wrong, and the A set would enable me to finish another two intermediate cars on top of the one it builds, as it includes spare sides/ends/roof to combine with the spares from the B's. Ideally need two A's to build the full eight car train, but I draw the line at paying that much twice.

There are now a couple of orders from Plaza Japan in the post (Kato island platform B, set of double track bridge piers, pack of two 248mm double track viaducts and a pack of 216mm radius curves), the 216mm curves are part of a cunning plan involving the coffee table the Christmas tree will sit on come December. I need to order more curves to make a complete circle and more viaduct straights to use all the bridge piers. Yes, I know it's only September but I want to guarantee the track will be here in time!

Also ordered another 165 series intermediate coach (Saro 165 with green stripe), the basic set is going to have to wait a few weeks but again, couldn't pass it by at £14 including P&P. I think I might end up with a shortened version of one of the formations Kato show on their site, with a Kumoni 83-800 at one end of a 165 set.

Edited by Welshbloke

Because of some circumstances, I have something extra to spare and ordered two extra centre cars for my Sōtetsu N7000 from Yahoo! Auctions. These were a bit cheaper to get than getting two extra sets, just for the centre cars and having two left over front cars. I guess I'll be making a 10-car formation after all...

For this, I'll have to purchase another two sets, which will be available from the Sōnyan shop in Ebina, as it will be a 6+4 car formation with all six centre cars pantographed (because Sōtetsu is in love with pantographs apparently). I'm not sure if these will become single or double-armed, as I'd have to research when the last old-livery train was renovated with single-arms.

Got two Kato EF81 body shells delivered, the first two parts for my BFA-32M build. (Does someone know how to remove the front windows glasses without breaking them in two ?)

post-3383-0-74846300-1441712803_thumb.jpg