What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

box from modeltrainplus showed up with my Kumamoto Electric Raiway Type 6000 "KUMAMON" (i succumbed) and some detail parts.

i had the Wakasa Railway WT-3000 and wanted the Shimabara Railroad 2550, but couldnt find it by itself. when doing an order i saw Nariichi san had the collection 10 as just take a random pick and went for it for $6 and guess what?! got it! should have bought a lottery ticket! Yeah right!

cheers

jeff

Kato KuMoYuNi 74 arrived yesterday. Growled badly at first, but after a drop of oil on the motor and worm bearings it's running perfectly. I've fitted Tightlock couplers to enable it to work with my other EMUs, but I find myself wondering whether the body mounted couplers as used on the more recent KuMoNi models would fit this chassis as they look much better.

If anyone has one of these and is trying to work out how to turn the lights off at one end (so they can run it in multiple with another EMU) then you need to unclip the bodyshell. Underneath you'll find a pair of slider switches. This was also the case with the dummy KuMoNi 83-800 I bought a while ago.

Edit, it turns out that the body mounted couplers (part number 4865C3) will fit, as the KuMoYuNI has the slots for the assembly to clip into. I was able to prove this by briefly borrowing one from the KuMoNi 83-800.

You'd have to clip the coupler pocket off the bogie to clear the new body mounted coupler, but that wouldn't be hard. If you wanted the deflector plates/snowploughs then you'd need to change the bogies or glue one of the Z04-6714 spares onto the stump of the coupler pocket. Not sure if those were fitted to the real KuMoYuNI 74 anyway though?

Only snag is that nobody seems to have any of the parts left in stock!

Edited by Welshbloke

Kato E259?  I thought to did a full switch to Tomix recently?

Yap, but not this fellow ~

The Tomix has regular Rapdio couplers that I will need to replace to TN ones, adding cost.

The Kato has beautiful prototypical correct couplers ~

The Tomix lost its destination board and was left with a clear empty plastic window...

The Kato has its destination board printed on. Hands down~~

I recieved a six car Kato Kiha82 when my son made a brief visit from Japan this week....its very nice too and runs nicely. Second hand from Hobby Off was about $70.00, I also bought an 8 car 117 set there earlier this year.  I changed couplers last night......now I'll have to add head and tail lights

Not really from a order, buy got it a local model train store, and not really Japanese, but 2 of 4 are Japanese made ;)

As i'm travelling in the US, in the town nearby where i'm now there is a wonderful model train store, and i could not resist, but i had to buy some US train. 

A KATO EMD SD45 in the Santa Fe colors

a Bachmann freight car, Orange juice

a Micro train freight car Beer

some Kato unitrack bumps

and i stopped there!!!!

post-3119-0-67073900-1445199059_thumb.jpg

Remember how I said I wouldn't buy trains any more? I just won a 2-car Ōigawa 1000 type (Railway Collection) on Yahoo! Auctions for a few hundred yen. All in original state. I just couldn't resist the low price and the cute front that came together.

e0030537_127461.jpg

The OG.

Now, I have a slight urge to rebuild this train into a 2-car DMU and create a sort-of fictional company that fills a big gap in Ibaraki with a line that runs from Noda-shi station (Tōbu Noda line) over Bandō City to Shimotsuma (Kantō Railway Jōsō line) to Mt. Tsukuba and potentially connect with a still existing Ibaraki line (Tsuchiura - Iwase) and even an extension to Ishioka to connect with the (now also disappeared) Kashima Railway (Ishioka - Hokota). Maybe also a fun idea to incorporate freight trains as well... Hmm... Ideas, ideas, ideas...

Edited by Toni Babelony
  • Like 1

Remember how I said I wouldn't buy trains any more? I just won a 2-car Ōigawa 1000 type (Railway Collection) on Yahoo! Auctions for a few hundred yen. All in original state. I just couldn't resist the low price and the cute front that came together.

I love that front too!!!! that gives me bad ideas...

Got the Greenmax Odakyu "Techno Inspector" and the Tomix 98948 500 Series (Sanyo Shinkansen 40 year anniversary) from Modeltrainplus. That was the fastes delivery from Japan EVER. 7 days.

DSCF4094

DSCF4084

I saw some video of the Japanese line which operates a 2-6-4 tank loco dressed up as Thomas a while ago. They'd fitted buffers for cosmetic purposes, which looked very weird with the standard Japanese knuckle coupler in the middle!

After finding that the "Kokuden" 103 Series can look very good indeed with a few brush strokes (to add the aluminium crossbars on the windows, the destination boards in white, and the aluminium surrounds for same) I now have one of the orange sets on order to run next to my yellow one. Also likely to appear in some bizarre Franken-103 with the Yamanote line add-on packs, filling in for the two MoHa pairs from the basic set until I get hold of one.

Edited by Welshbloke

I saw some video of the Japanese line which operates a 2-6-4 tank loco dressed up as Thomas a while ago. They'd fitted buffers for cosmetic purposes, which looked very weird with the standard Japanese knuckle coupler in the middle!

That would presumably be the Ooikawa Tetsudo, which provides this little protoypical scene no-one would believe if you modelled it ;)

gallery_1206_166_37986.jpg

• Like 1

And I thought the self-contained tunnels you can buy from the likes of Woodland Scenics weren't accurate!

Yep, that's the one. Interesting that the dummy buffers are only on the (presumably static) tender loco, while the running fleet have black circles painted on the headstocks where the buffers would be.

Edited by Welshbloke

Things purchased last saturday at the JMRA and visiting a little local event in Hiratsuka:

PHOTO_20151026_132811.jpg

Modemo KiHa 35 and 36 without reinforced fronts for ¥2000. I don't know if it runs, as I don't have much time to set up a circle today (yes, it takes up only ten minutes, silence). It was cheap and I was kind of looking for these units to repaint them into Kantō Railway versions.The problem with these is however that the Kantō Railway had/has these with reinforced fronts and other fans on the roofs. Not too much of a trouble to replicate that with some extra parts.

PHOTO_20151026_133306.jpg

Kanachū (Kanagawa Chūō Kōtsū) Bus Collection Sets I, II, IV and V all nicely lined up. At Hiratsuka I got sets IV and V and now am only short of set III. The newest set (V) has a brand new bus type, the Mitsubishi Fusō QKG-MP38FK, which has a very distinguishable front.

PHOTO_20151026_133549.jpg

And back in boxes again. Looking good :)

I have one or two extra boxes for people who are interested in getting set V (1 p.p.), please write me a message!

• Like 3
Das Steinkopf

The latest addition to my expanding fleet of Koki's thanks to Denet. Out of curiousity is there anyone who can explain as to why Kato uses a rather pale blue for their Koki 104's compared to the Tomix versions.

post-3083-0-66237500-1445861719_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Das Steinkopf

I just received the 23-122 overhead transit station and the 23-120 platform set from Kato, along with Greenmax's 2137 two story houses kit. The station is really impressive; lots of details and stickers to add but without that stuff these structures wouldn't be near as much fun. I may have both simulated catenary and third rail in the station just like in NYC's Penn Station so that I can have a more interesting selection of trains serving the facility.

Don't remind me, I still have four and a half (one of them has most of the stickers, and the platform details, but needs the stickers and details adding to the canopy) of the old island platforms to fit the details and stickers to...

I have found that a pair of fine, sharp scissors are a better bet than a knife for cutting out most of the stickers. A steel rule and a knife are the way forward for the long yellow stripes which go along the platform edge on the older models though.

Got lucky today. Got the MicroAce A-0314 Doaremon, new for under $175!!!

Oh what joy!!!! :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

Edited by Sascha
  • Like 1

got these older model wagons for NZ$4.50ea at a local model railway show in the weekend. In very good condition and the Tomix guards van has directional lights. The seller has a lot more double bogie freight wagons as well as plenty of steam and electric locos to sell later on. All early models.

Hopefully I can pick up locos I haven't got in my collection

2015 10 27 22.47.20

2015 10 27 22.45.30

2015 10 27 22.43.07

• Like 4

Bit of a deal there!

I keep meaning to grab a brake van at some point, but my current freight fleet stands at just three Kato bogie vehicles (white refrigerated box van, brown box van, yellow tanker, I'd have to dig them out of the stock box to find their designations). They do look good behind my Tomix EF30 though.

Had a thought today while adding the final bits of paintwork to my yellow 103 Series - would anyone be interested in a step-by-step guide to detailing the Kokuden sets with paint and a pack of Kato tightlock couplers? It does wonders for their appearance.

Edited by Welshbloke
  • Like 1

Ordered my first train from Manadarake Global! MicroAce A8158, was only 12,000 JPY which sort of worried me but it runs like a dream and is in awesome condition! I will keep this in mind for the future also happy because it only took 4 days DHL EMS from japan!

Nate

b67cc23ffafe6c9ed069321f1e0debd6.jpgb00d51f91c2af44d8a39997e81189867.jpgbc76bdbd06c7fcb0ed63dd08d19da7a8.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

• Like 4