What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

I got this batch of second hand stuff delivered last week:

post-638-0-35139900-1441834334_thumb.jpg post-638-0-36188400-1441834389_thumb.jpg

Even though it was just too cheap to miss out on, there is no scratch to be seen and they run like a charm. The only downside is that the previous owner threw away some little signboards that belong on the side of the cab of the DE10.

• Like 1

I got this batch of second hand stuff delivered last week:

attachicon.gif 2nd-hand-batch_1.jpg attachicon.gif 2nd-hand-batch_2.jpg

Even though it was just too cheap to miss out on, there is no scratch to be seen and they run like a charm. The only downside is that the previous owner threw away some little signboards that belong on the side of the cab of the DE10.

Very cool. I think I've seen them on offer somewhere on a specific forum. It's a nice collection for your own little private railway spur.

What brand and model is the light blue diesel ?

The blue loco is a MicroAce A8190, DF40-1 in blue livery. It has a Co-Co bogie layout, which is rare and was only used on experimental diesels in Japan.

• Like 2

Very nice collection. I love the 4 wheel wagons. I got a brand new Microace A8190 from one of the Hobby search sales a while back for NZ$40 and it runs beautifully. Not a lot of traction on my grades , but I wanted it for short load of wagons such as 4 wheelers

It's a nice collection for your own little private railway spur.

I only thought the same after I had them all together on my track. I intend to use the old black WaMus with the Akita Chuo Kotsu DeWa 3000 that Tomytec will release this fall. It's not the exact prototypical boxcar Akita Chuo uses, but it's very close. The Nanbu Jyukan railbus and the Type C loco with the boxcars also look fine together. The DE10 and DF40 are a bit too large for the kind of small layout I have been thinking about for a while now. I actually really only got the DF40 because it was included in the batch. :P

I love the 4 wheel wagons.

If I'm right I have another three blue Tomix WaMu 80000s somewhere, so I have plenty enough of them now! :)

Just arrived, the two middle cars for my Sōtetsu N7000:

IMG_20150910_123811.jpg

Yes, these trains run with all non-cab cars with pantographs. Now for two more sets next week and a prototypical 10-car set is done. TN-couplers and a matching power unit will come later. All that counts now is getting my hands on these limited editions.

I think so! I've got an ED 19, which would have been built around the same time, and was constructed by Westinghouse in the USA. From memory, I think that the Japanese railway administration of the time sourced a number of types of electric loco from established overseas builders - rather as the Irish railway system did in the 50s and 60s.

Eh? Were the real ED18s from a British builder?

North British Locomotive with English Electric parts from 1923. Though by the time it got to the current condition (this model represents the preserved state) pretty much only the body shell is original.

I think so! I've got an ED 19, which would have been built around the same time, and was constructed by Westinghouse in the USA. From memory, I think that the Japanese railway administration of the time sourced a number of types of electric loco from established overseas builders - rather as the Irish railway system did in the 50s and 60s.

Apparently the reason for the sourcing of electric locos from Britain, which was not particularly renowned for its electric loco technology at the time, was to get British support during the Washington Naval Treaty negotiations. Apart from the 9 examples of this class I don't think there were any more.

Given what NBL's diesel locos for BR were like I'm not entirely surprised that JNR only ordered nine of them.

They built some diesel-hydraulics, and produced some of the drivetrain components/engines in house under licence from MAN. Problem was, MAN were Metric. NBL were hard-line Imperial measurers and made no attempt to change over. That, plus the fact that diesel and electric locos need rather tighter tolerances than steam to be reliable, had predictable results...

in 4 days, from Japan to me (switzerland)!!!

Perfectly packed, from Model Train Plus:

KATO EF 58  Locomotive

Tomytec Kumamoto Electric Raiway Type 6000 "KUMAMON"
Tomytec Icibata Electric Railway Series 3000 (Nankai livery)

and some bits to make them running and some other bits..

;)

post-3119-0-37437100-1442241625_thumb.jpg

post-3119-0-98223300-1442241625_thumb.jpg

post-3119-0-36443200-1442241626_thumb.jpg

post-3119-0-69240100-1442241626_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

This really isn't helping my urge to buy something Tomytec...

Currently lining up on some Kato odds and ends, managed to snag a motorised Kiha 52 for £10 (untested, but at that price...) and hoping to bag a dummy Kiha 52 along with a couple of 115 Series cab coaches from the same seller. I have no 115 series powered coaches but hey, if I see one for sensible money (along with one of the intermediate trailers) I'm halfway to a train!

Claude_Dreyfus

I exhibited Kanjiyama at the International N Gauge show last weekend...one of three J-Trains layouts...approx 60% of the total number of Japanese exhibition layouts in the UK.

There was a lot of nice stuff on the trade stalls as well...I relented!

First up, a visit to Japan Model Railways (Modellbahn Union) saw the addition of a snow plough - something I have been after for ages.

IMG_6827_zps7znvdhib.jpg

Next up was a real find.

Imperial%20TRain_zpsjqmhxmfp.jpg

Not only was there the base set, but the Emperor's saloon was included. This was second-hand, and set me back the princely sum of £95.00 (about $145.00). It is immaculate, runs perfectly and has had the bits added to a very high standard. Seriously happy with that!  

• Like 9

Kanjiyama is looking good as always! Perfect!

But isn't Kanjiyama a diesel line? That would have been kinda strange for that beautiful E655 ~~  :P

But nonetheless a perfect addition to it! The Maroon colour of the E655 blends in nicely to the scenery...

Kanjiyama looks really good, congrats!

And 145$ is a VERY good deal for the E655... havent been able to get a hold on a cheap second hand set in yahoo japan auctions nowhere near that price... good find!

Edited by Hokutosei
Claude_Dreyfus

Kanjiyama is looking good as always! Perfect!

But isn't Kanjiyama a diesel line? That would have been kinda strange for that beautiful E655 ~~  :P

But nonetheless a perfect addition to it! The Maroon colour of the E655 blends in nicely to the scenery...

Kanjiyama looks really good, congrats!

And 145$ is a VERY good deal for the E655... havent been able to get a hold on a cheap second hand set in yahoo japan auctions nowhere near that price... good find!

time to electrify the Kanjiyama i guess? :P

Thanks all!

Yes, Kanjiyama is certainly off the electrified network. To be honest, I have a growing collection of two-three carriage EMUs, so stringing up some catenary (or at least the posts) is not beyond the realms of possibility should I feel so inclined! The Imperial train really got some attention.

Just bagged the following on ebay UK:

Kiha 52 powered and dummy in red/cream livery

115 Series KuMoHa 115-1000 and KuHa 115-1100 in Shonan livery. Also found a SaHa 115-1000 cheap, mint and boxed from a seller in Japan, so grabbed it.

It looks as though trying to come up with a vaguely realistic train formation around the latter three will be interesting to say the least! The 115 Series seem to work around having a pair of MoHas, one with a pantograph and one without, so you might get a three car KuMoHa-MoHa114-KuHa, or a five car set with an extra MoHa pair between the KuHa and the rest of the train. None of the Kato diagrams show both of the cab coaches I have in the same train though (all show the KuHa 115-1000, not the -1100), and are even more reticent about the SaHa...

I'm currently in the race for a brand new JR East E501 Series 5-car set from MicroAce (A3897) for an amazing price (half from retail). Not sure if it will make it, as it seems there could be other interested parties. However, this would be the first (complete) train set for my collection of trains that would run around at my wife's hometown.

Other JR East candidates are the E531 (5-cars, old skirt) and 415-1500 (4-cars, grey undercar parts), as well as the very occasional Ltd. Express and Joyful Train (usually as a Rapid) rolling stock (485 (T18, Joyful Trains), E653-100, etc.).

If it's not a win, no big loss, as I have no other JR East trains to match and would rather focus on the Mooka and Kantō Railways.