What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

Awesome! I hope you have fun with them! You're now quicker than me posting pictures of the actual products... Shame on me...

The different colours and depend on the machine they use. The weird thing with my shipments is that they were all from one and the same place (Eindhoven, Netherlands) and were multiple orders as well. Amazing indeed it was USPS and trackable until they got in the hands of Yamato in Japan where the tracking weirdly stopped. From that point on it didn't take longer than a day to arrive at my doorstep though. Apart from the ridiculous standard shipment fee, I think I will definately use Shapeways again for large combined orders, as they are competitive with DMM in bigger amounts.

Coreless motors can be rated for 12V too. If it runs at acceptable speeds when a Kato controller is turned up to the bottom of the red stripe, then it will be ok with a Tomix PWM controller too. If it's way over maximal speed, then you have to add voltage dropper diode pairs serially between the PWM output and the tracks. This way you can get the Tomix PWM output down to a few volts. If you have a switch that enables or disables the diode chain, then you can switch between full voltage and low voltage modes. By bypassing only parts of the chain, it's possible to set various output voltages with a few diode pairs and switches. (the same works for higher voltage DCC centrals/boosters too to get them down to safe levels for N scale without modding them internally)

Edited by kvp

A diode always drops a nearly constant amount of voltage, regardless of the current. This means a normal silicon diode will drop around 0.6-0.7 volts, while a schottky would drop 0.2-0.3V. A resistor acts as a voltage divider, but as the visible resistance of the motor changes due to the backemf from the moving motor, this division value changes, resulting in a non linear voltage curve across the motor. Also a resistor with little to no load applied will let the whole voltage through, especially if there is a buffer near the motor. With a diode you can be sure that even an unloaded circuit will have the correct voltage value across the outputs. This is especially important if you have a part that is sensitive to overvoltage.

• Like 1

Westfalen. whats on this weekend?

Wife and I are coming to Brisbane area from 15th of August till 29th. Shame I miss Brisbane show and too early for the rail museum show.

Westfalen. whats on this weekend?

Wife and I are coming to Brisbane area from 15th of August till 29th. Shame I miss Brisbane show and too early for the rail museum show.

Not really a train show as such, the club is having a display at the QR150 celebrations at Grandchester on Sunday.

22/23 August we will be at the Queensland Model & Hobbies expo at Redbank, we will be the only trains there though.

Claude_Dreyfus

The Kanjiyama Line had a recent wind-fall, decided to go into blow-out mode and obtain three (yes, THREE) new railbuses. The first is the result of 'I want me one of them' when they spied the success of the Shikoku 'Shinkansen'.

Bullett%20KiHa_zps4x1ur6h8.jpg

Bullett%20KiHa%201_zpsoqviqrvl.jpg

Someone on the board then pointed out that this was all very nice, but some normal trains would be needed, especially for the more lightly used times during the off season. The railway did some digging around and found the perfect candidates in Darkest Germany.

Railbus%202_zpshn9gkpfd.jpg

Railbus%201_zpsi2qm35ii.jpg

I already had one of these little Tomix railbuses, and they were a really good price, so a couple of economical and practical additions - I'm getting used to this third-sector lark!

• Like 2
Guest keio6000

Not japanese, but just got the Kato Duplex TGV in blue silver/  If the model number is correct, this is the one with internal lighting and the seller claims a decoder is installed (not sure which one).  Paid a fair price for it - not great and not terrible - and am now waiting to receive it.

kato-tgv-duplex-1.jpg

of course now that I've bought it kato will re-release it ha ha.

• Like 1

Kato is releasing a TGV Duplex this fall, but it is the newer Carmillon livery. I don't think your exact model is being re-released in the near future.

Guest keio6000

Kato is releasing a TGV Duplex this fall, but it is the newer Carmillon livery. I don't think your exact model is being re-released in the near future.

Cool.  Carmillon right now doesn't look great though I'm sure it will grow on me eventually.  For now, this blue/silver scheme seems like it fits the spot in my small euro sideline collection which is now TGV PSE (10 cars), TGV Duplex (10 cars), Eurostar (8 only, i think, may get extensions now), and hopefully before too long new Eurostar.

Now, if only someday some N gauge manufacturer will finally make the ignored Class 365 that I use sometimes from Kings Cross I'll be set.  Recently, I had a chance to buy a Farish HST in GNER colors to kind of round out my euro collection, and even though it was only GBP 60 with 2 end cars and 7 intermediate cars, I had a close look at it, noted the painted headlights, and decided that buying it would break my number one rule: don't buy crap so I passed.

Peterborough_FCC_365529_into_platform_th

Class 365

Ah, the old "don't buy crap" rule. Because no matter how cheap a substandard train may be, if one can't stand to run it or display it, then it's no bargain.

About your TGV, I too prefer the silver and blue livery. The Carmillon is very bold, sort of like a racing car color scheme, but all that black hides the design/styling of the train.

Now, if only someday some N gauge manufacturer will finally make the ignored Class 365 that I use sometimes from Kings Cross I'll be set.  Recently, I had a chance to buy a Farish HST in GNER colors to kind of round out my euro collection, and even though it was only GBP 60 with 2 end cars and 7 intermediate cars, I had a close look at it, noted the painted headlights, and decided that buying it would break my number one rule: don't buy crap so I passed.

Peterborough_FCC_365529_into_platform_th

Class 365

Have a look at the N Gauge Forum's crowdfunding section.

The Farish HSTs are essentially a 1980's design, even though they're available in relatively recent liveries. The Dapol ones are much better, though mechanically still nowhere near as good as anything from Kato or Tomix.

Back on sort-of-Japanese-topic, now that Kato has announced a new Eurostar, I've seen old ones popping up in Tokyo's 2nd hand stores more frequently than before. Wonder if I should get one for my collection of iconic high-speed trains...

Guest keio6000

My KATO TGV Duplex SNCF arrived from ebay.  At first glance, looks very good.  Internal lights work, and, so, I hooked up the ECOS to try to remember how to do it and within 20 minutes I had it working with custom art :) (which I have since improved a bit since i took this photo).   The TGV couplers are a pain though!

jatotgvduplex.jpg

Probably like Tomix power couplers.  Pain in the a@#$ to hook up.  They work well and do a great job, but hooking up cars can be a frustrating job.

What is that control unit you are using?

What is that control unit you are using?

Yah i'm interested to know too... There's writing of 'Wide View Shinano' right beside 'TGV'... Very interesting!

Where do you see this tgv duplex release? I can't seem to find any info [emoji29]

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

Guest keio6000

The ecos is a very satisfying bit of kit, though the company that makes them are a bunch of assholes with the single worst support department i have ever seen in any company anywhere.

basically, you can connect an ethernet cable to it and then connect to it via a web browser to upload custom artwork.   i make my own artwork for my trains mostly.   the ecos website has a place where such artwork can be shared - i uploaded several dozen there, but after i decided that i hate the ESU/Ecos company with a passion, i deleted them all.

the exact unit is the ECOS 50200.   The technology is a bit old - the old resistive touch screen for example is like from a tablet 10 years ago, but it's still the state of the art in physical DCC controllers.  I like that it has two prominent and pretty tactile control knobs.  Others now go for things like iphone control which is certainly posible, but not for me as i just want to take this thing out when i want to play with my trains.

Guest keio6000

Here is a screenshot from my ECOS user web interface showing some of the custom graphics i have created and/or uploaded ("created" means "adapted from stuff i found on the web)

esusample.png

yes, i have the 10-000 in there, waiting patiently for it (pre ordered from nariichi-san / modeltrainsplus.net)

Edited by keio6000
  • Like 2