Tomix - New Releases

what is the difference between normal Tomix models and Tomix HG models?

Here's what I know from the few HG Models I have:

They come with way more accessory parts (sometimes already pre-installed) and TN-Couplers. Some models also feature pre-applied decals, which, I guess, is quite uncommon for Tomix models.

High grades usually have close couplers added and more printed parts instead of stickers or transfers. Good example are the lighted swappable rollsign inserts that are pad printed to clear plastic. Also tend to have more detail parts. The metal bearings and working secondary suspension on all cars are standard on most standard stock too, but the working prototypical sized front couplings and switchable taillights are not. On HG sets they are always present. You can usually upgrade a standard set to HG with off the shelf extra parts.

The Tomytec Railway Collection Volume 24 was just announced. It'll basically only feature JR Tokai type EMUs, but with a slight variation in that the 113s have off fronts, being former trailer cars rebuilt into cab cars.

I see the internet is going crazy about the sanpachi (113-3800), but for me personally, nah...Not getting my money there.

• Like 1

From my understanding it was to reduce accidents by increasing visibility, and to strengthen the end of the car, I guess cause as a non cab car it was not designed to take the brunt of a collision.  If you look at most British trains they also paint the end of their trains yellow for the same reason.  I kinda like the look, it feels like a 1950s emu.  I'd like to see one in shonan livery.

Interesting... though I am not a real fan of the testudo series, this one is a little interesting, as it is more than your usual 1 or 2 carriage trains... I wonder what would happen if you bought one box and got a special but missing one of the end cars and had to go frantically searching for one to complete the train... Like the 113-800, it seems you need 2 sets of those to get a full 4 car train?

Like the 113-800, it seems you need 2 sets of those to get a full 4 car train?

Do you mean the 113-3800? If you look carefully you can see the cab door sitting on the left of 'car 5'. Like I just wrote, it's a trailer car rebuilt into a cab car. Lookie here for pics: http://note.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/detail/n335660

The 113-2000 even exists only of former trailer cars, which can be seen by the 201-like front on both ends of the train: http://blog.livedoor.jp/hanwa0724/archives/52035356.html

That said, I'm totally not a fan of the 'design' either.

Edited by Densha

The idea was to take the minimal number of cars. Since these series tend to have married motor pairs, two cars is the minimum. A kumoha-moha-... set becomes a two car set with a new cab in the moha end, while a kuha-moha-moha'-kuha set gets two new cabs. Actually the basic full width cab design of the 101 series was built around the same minimalist ideas. There were some 105 series cars modded the same way, by having the old full cab on one car and a cab with a door and two smaller windshields on the other, resembling the original look of some metro running 1xx series sets.

Imho the sets aren't bad looking but the paint schemes are not the nicest.

A video on the newly released S70 bridge by Tomix:

It's actually quite interesting, more so when you join 2 or more together.... you could even make a nice arch bridge with these babies!

• Like 2

Yes, it looks like Tomix is finally incorporating an automated block system with their TCS. This has been on my wish list for years (although mostly unconsciously), and I think this will be a great competitor to the Kato DCC system, as it's modular, probably easy to set up, doesn't need programming of the trains and doesn't require modifications to the trains. If the price is right, this will be a hit!

Apart from the control system:

- Wifi-enabled camera car

- sound unit

Camera car and control system sound interesting for me. I will have to investigate before setting up DC cab control on the new bit of my layout...

I was aware about the automated block system but I did not about the other ones.

The new items look very good.

https://raicho.home.xs4all.nl/news/news.htm

Cheers,

• Like 1

why the camera is mounted on the right side while the actual driver is on the left side?

Maybe because most railfan videos are made on the right side. (or this was the easier location from some technical standpoint as most older systems mounted the camera in the middle) Actually i was expecting a Chuo line variant, but it looks like that was made by Kato (with an analog system) a few years ago.

• Like 1

Also, it's analog (pwm with cl) and works with any track system. It has simulated acceleration and braking that matches the JNR 1xx series curves. (the left lever is the traction power, the right is the electropneumatic airbrake)

Edited by kvp
  • Like 1

Not quite as the acceleration lever increases the voltage and keeps it stable in 0. The brake decreases the voltage and keeps it stable in 0. Full brake acts as an emergency/parking brake. The actual track voltage level is an integral of the two settings over time. Basically you release the brakes, then speed up with the throttle, coast with both in 0 and gradually stop with the brakes. Then park the train before reversing or at the end of the run. The voltage or more correctly the pulse width modulation signal is calculated based on the throttle/brake settings. The circuit works pretty much like in digital but all components are in the same box. Works like any 1:1 driving simulator.

Edited by kvp