Hobby Search

bill937ca

Hi Keitaro:

Yes i did asked a number of sellers, but only Plaza Japan gave me an answer: They will not be able to do that as they got their stocks direct from supplier. The rest (Hobby Search, Popondetta) ignored my mail completely.

Yes i agree it would definately bring down shipping costs, as you look into any large track set box (like starter sets), alot of space is used on the styrofoam box protection and the rails itselves only took up a little space, almost like 20-30% space, with the rest fill in with styrofoam. Although i understand the concept of making the boxes look large so they look like a better value set if sold in stores (Much like Lego), it pains foreigners like myself to ship in styrofoam boxes and paying so much for shipping alone just to throw away all that back in your country...

It takes up real lot of space and brings shipping way up, but i have yet to meet with a really friendly and helpful seller willing to go that extra mile to de-box and re-pack the tracks/ items to bring down shipping costs.... Would be so so appreciative if a seller would do that for me, and almost a definately getting more items from the seller in return for his assistance...

I think most sellers would be a bit shy about taking stuff apart as they would not want to be responsible for things lost or damaged then.

the starter kits are the worst for the lowest bang for the buck on shipping size/weight. probably just as cheap or cheaper to buy stuff separately and have mailed sal and get more than a starter set coming ems due to its size and weight!

jeff

The problem lies with who will be responsible for missing parts.  If they ship the item in original packaging and something is missing then they can turn to the wholesaler or manufacturer.  I think you'd have to waive your rights in this regard if the items were to be repackaged.

What do you guys do during your trips to Japan?  Do you repackage overhead track, etc. to save space in your luggage?

Cheers

The_Ghan

i did in jp with my first basic set i bought i used the cardboard boks and got some bubble wrap. wrapped it and placed in bag.

With over head you would need to be a bit more careful of the sides getting damaged.

the starter kits are the worst for the lowest bang for the buck on shipping size/weight. probably just as cheap or cheaper to buy stuff separately and have mailed sal and get more than a starter set coming ems due to its size and weight!

jeff

Ouch the truth hurts jeff... And i've bought 2 of them, one form Tomix and one from Kato... Seems pretty true... The starter set is cheaper than individually buying each item, BUT the shipping just takes away everything...

I do believe no seller wanna take the risk of missing/ damaged items by de-boxing the items as The_Ghan has said, just to save the buyer money. That responsibility is too huge for any seller to take. However, what if we can re-assure and assure them the responsibility will NOT be on them and we are willing to take that risk ourselves? HHhmmm... Thinking of the savings it can achieve on shipping alone makes me drool...

Unfortunately, when i was in Japan in March, i wasn't so much into N gauge trains yet... Only to be so engrossed when i return home... Silly me...Full of regrets now... I think i was like a few steps away from  several hobby shops when i was there and able to save tons of cash if i had bought from there...  :lipssealed:

Yeah sorry about that...

I think from the seller's perspective there is not that much in it from them. You would need to be a very good customer for it to be worth them taking the risk for the good will it would generate and also for them to trust you enough.

It's really only the starter sets that have this issue due to their size and weight. Most other stuff can ship reasonably sal if you don't put too much in any particular order. Just keep them under 2kg. Sellers will split up a large order for you if it's overweight and you ask. I had preordered two of the aoshima apartment buildings that were like 3.5 kg for the two so they were going to send it ems for $70. When I asked they nicely sent them in two sal packages for $40 total.

Cheers

Jeff

HS finally added some items to the bargain

Alot of HO cars etc Mark might be a good time to stock up.

theres also a stack of nguage construction steel frames etc.

I saw last night, around 9:00pm.  I forgot to post here.  Nothing I want ... luckily  :cool:

Cheers

The_Ghan

Even more stuff in the Bargain area now ... still nothing more I want.  :cool:

Cheers

The_Ghan

the question should be, is there anything ypou want or should be demanding to see on the bargain sales lol

Erm guys, i just checked... The bargain section is missing! Or am i missing something here?

Although there was nothing really important for me to get in the bargains section though...

Nope ... Bargain section gone ... either being updated or the sale has ended.

Cheers

The_Ghan

PS: Pretty happy with my 6000, actually !!!  40% off !!!

I would say the later but don't worry it will be back again and with more items that The Ghan doesn't want :P

Nope ... Bargain section gone ... either being updated or the sale has ended.

Cheers

The_Ghan

PS: Pretty happy with my 6000, actually !!!  40% off !!!

Sure was just wish i have the layout to run it on!

• Like 1

Am i totally missing this, or is this a new function here?

http://www.1999.co.jp/mylist_use_e.asp

A wish list! Now you can benchmark your favourite items without having to search for them! Pretty neat i think, as it can help you to find your favourite items quickly without having to remember their code numbers! Trying this function now ~~

A wish list! Now you can benchmark your favourite items without having to search for them! Pretty neat i think, as it can help you to find your favourite items quickly without having to remember their code numbers! Trying this function now ~~

That is AWESOME!

Especially for scenery parts.

That is AWESOME!

Especially for scenery parts.

Oh yeah!

Anyone else been unable to get onto Hobby Search the last couple of days? I just get a page with the message "Currently in maintenance".

Anyone else been unable to get onto Hobby Search the last couple of days? I just get a page with the message "Currently in maintenance".

Nope.

it did not load a few times in the last couple of days here, server completely unreachable. fine now. seems to be loading a bit faster as well so maybe a server upgrade!

jeff

West,

They were doing maintenance on Sunday night when I tried to take a look.  Normal transmission appears to have resumed.

BTW, HS will be closed from August 11th to 15th .... for holiday apparently.

Cheers

The_Ghan