What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

Not really new, since it arrived last week. It's the Railway Collection Ōigawa 1000 type. Now stripped of its original livery and ready for some heavy modding:

PHOTO_20151028_164149.jpg

The space below the doors will be elongated a little, like on the KiHa 38 and Kantō Railway 0 and 310 types, as well as have a modded roof with round vents. The underbody will have to be completely customised with DMU parts. I'll try to copy these from Tomytec parts with silicone moulds later on. That'll be a little adventure...

• Like 2

MoHa 153 has arrived from ModelTrainPlus. Hopefully the MoHa 152 to complete the pair isn't far behind!

Photos to follow when the second arrives. So far I've fitted Tightlock couplers.

Yesterday night, I won a very odd acquisition on Yahoo! Auctions: http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n143566194

This is an amateur made silicone mould of a KiHa 38-0 body with separate windows, made off a Tōkyōdo shell. It's already an old (2 years) and used one, but I figure it's a good experimental base for future ventures. This mould has been made for vacuum casting, but I figure there must be a way to do so without vacuum casting (e.g. injection).

The main reason to have purchased this mould was the low price and because it mimics something I want to do in the future. Create full resin kits of car bodies, including windows. Make 3D models, print them (preferably with all the sprews and air escape vents), create silicone moulds and reproduce. The price of this mould also was a reason to get it, as the basic costs (at least at Tōkyū Hands) for starting such a project outweighed the costs of getting this. I'm sure at the local DIY market I can get materials much cheaper, but for now, this will do fine.

An upside of silicone moulding, as opposed to other types of moulding materials, is that it can withstand high temperatures. An option to cast in white metal, or something else, is thus also there. That however is an idea for much later when I have a more work-friendly environment (e.g. a separate office room or a studio). For now, resin casting will have to suffice, as it's simple, cheap and can be done in a matter of hours.

• Like 1

but I figure there must be a way to do so without vacuum casting (e.g. injection).

It works, but tend to produce air bubbles and requires thicker walls to be reliable. I have very bad experience with resin kits.

Also the material is important as shells have to be reasonably flexible to allow assembly but strong to survive derailments and this kind of resin is expensive (way more expensive than the stiff and brittle basic versions used for static casts). It's also possible to damage the forms on removal if the resin is not flexible enough. (we had quite a few misses when trying to cast a brass loco shell a few years ago and ultimately the club gave up when faced with the costs of the right materials) For more simple (open top) forms, that will be static and non load bearing objects, it's possible to use the cheaper materials and bubbles can leave through the top.

Personally i found cnc cut styrene kits to be far better, in the range of injection moulded factory kits. The biggest problems with them are the high production cost and low output volume.

Ordered my first train from Manadarake Global! MicroAce A8158, was only 12,000 JPY which sort of worried me but it runs like a dream and is in awesome condition! I will keep this in mind for the future also happy because it only took 4 days DHL EMS from japan!

Nate

bc76bdbd06c7fcb0ed63dd08d19da7a8.jpg

Nice looking train.  Never seen it before.

• Like 1

Nice looking train. Never seen it before.

Thanks! The scheme was one of the last for the 3100 NSE to wear I believe.

Nate

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

Just arrived in my depot. Motored it with ex E231 one, gotta do the decaling job next. (you know what livery i will make lol)

Very cool! I know somebody who needs a poke regarding the centre cars (you know who).

Very cool! I know somebody who needs a poke regarding the centre cars (you know who).

I will need to resin copy them first. cutting the original one breaks my heart lol.

Edited by HantuBlauLOL
  • Like 1

Just got 6 boxes of the tomytec transfer warehouses (12 warehouses), two packs of the fences and guard house, and a box of the construction offices (3 pack). Also the kato turret freight tractor and wagons with it. All for $50 shipped! Was assembled once for a photo shoot for layout backdrop pictures a small company in Japan does! All taken back apart and carefully put back into the plastic wrappers like new! Now need to work on a nice transfer yard scene!

Jeff

Just arrived in my depot. Motored it with ex E231 one, gotta do the decaling job next. (you know what livery i will make lol)

attachicon.gifDSC03013.JPG

Cut two of them in half and join to make a middle car? 

Edited by katoftw
Krackel Hopper

Just got 6 boxes of the tomytec transfer warehouses (12 warehouses), two packs of the fences and guard house, and a box of the construction offices (3 pack). Also the kato turret freight tractor and wagons with it. All for $50 shipped! Was assembled once for a photo shoot for layout backdrop pictures a small company in Japan does! All taken back apart and carefully put back into the plastic wrappers like new! Now need to work on a nice transfer yard scene!

Jeff

That is a haul!

Where did you manage that?  Yahoo Auctions?

Which warehouses?  The old-style stone buildings that come with the covered freight platform?  There's also the 3 bay brick warehouse and that modern corrugated metal style?  Having 6 of any of those is sure to make a really cool transfer yard!

Just got delivered the week before 2 EMS parcels from Ami Ami, but was overseas last week and finally got to open them in the weekends:

Parcel 1 contained the Tomix 98948 - 500 series 40th Anniversary Sanyo Shinkansen Kansengar Wrapping set. Love the 500, but gotta say this set is almost identical to the first Kansengar wrapping set, just that it had a cuter Kansengar on the other end, missing the Kansengar painting on car 7 and added a 40th Anniversary logo... Other than that...

Parcel 2 contained:

Tomix 92893 Tobu 100 series Spacia Nikko Moude version. A golden remake of the Spacia, with a limited edition logo. I must say the gold looks classy!

Some other items picked up from the bargains bin, like the Bus Graphics book. It was really disappointing though as it featured more of the before 80s buses...

post-819-0-71208100-1446469935_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-20120800-1446469944_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-35812300-1446469952_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-47093800-1446469960_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-59455100-1446469968_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-25665500-1446469976_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-02873300-1446469984_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-84257300-1446470074_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-03103900-1446470082_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-07389800-1446470091_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-28020800-1446470098_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-19050300-1446470112_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-35905600-1446470120_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-93675300-1446470131_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-84485100-1446470138_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Another weird holiday (Culture Day), another day of not working. The wife has gone off to the Tokyo Motor Show and left papa alone with the little monster. So I decided for the common good to ride and see a few trains to Ebina and visit Popondetta. I was kind of looking for this in the back of my head:

PHOTO_20151103_131210.jpg

A Kantō Railway ToKi 250 (number 253). Kantetsu had five in total in use (251 ~ 255) from 1982 until 1996 and were bought 2nd hand from the Chichibu Railway for the reconstruction of the double track section of the Jōsō line (Mitsukaidō - Toride).

It's a cute car and I might go for a few more when I can find other service numbers, as it seems a 252 is also in circulation. The white handles on the side are a great detail!

Also, this is the first freight/MOW car in my current collection. This asks for a locomotive.

Another weird holiday (Culture Day), another day of not working.

Ah, that explains why there are kids outside playing on the street (working for an overseas company I take holidays when it's convenient :).

I was kind of looking for this in the back of my head:

PHOTO_20151103_131210.jpg

A Kantō Railway ToKi 250 (number 253). Kantetsu had five in total in use (251 ~ 255) from 1982 until 1996 and were bought 2nd hand from the Chichibu Railway for the reconstruction of the double track section of the Jōsō line (Mitsukaidō - Toride).

It's a cute car and I might go for a few more when I can find other service numbers, as it seems a 252 is also in circulation. The white handles on the side are a great detail!

Also, this is the first freight/MOW car in my current collection. This asks for a locomotive.

It's a slippery slope ;)

Here's one of its Chichibu siblings at Mitsumineguchi Station; there's a little open-air exhibition of "preserved" (i.e. left in the open air to rot) stock which you can climb all over for free, apart from the EMU which is unsafe. I only had a short time there but will return again sometime; remind me to post my other photos.

med_gallery_1206_177_272058.jpg

med_gallery_1206_177_71115.jpg

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 1

Postman arrived earlier with this through-running JR 301-kei from the Eidan Tozai line via Yahoo Auctions:

gallery_1206_164_42553.jpg

Not everyone's cup of tea but brings back memories of student days when I took that line a lot.

• Like 6

JR500, aren't you into the older buses?  They've got great Showa vibe :)

Well... They do look nice, but I just prefer the newer models like the Isuzu Erga and Mitsubishi Fuso Aero Queen and 富士重工業7E etc... Especially the CNG ones like these:

keiocng96mc.jpg

京王電鉄バス(路線バス)《日野HT・トミーテックバスコレクション事業者オリジナル》

And:

toei7ecng.jpg

東京都交通局(路線バス)《富士重工7Eノンステップバス・トミーテックバスコレクション第9弾》

And:

tobuscng.jpg

東京都交通局(路線バス)《西工96MC・トミーテックバスコレクション96MCセットA》

But they are so hard to get...

• Like 1

Postman arrived earlier with this through-running JR 301-kei from the Eidan Tozai line via Yahoo Auctions:

gallery_1206_164_42553.jpg

Not everyone's cup of tea but brings back memories of student days when I took that line a lot.

Looks great, and off the top of my head, I wouldn't have known that a 301 series existed. What's that thing on the other track? ;)

Looks great, and off the top of my head, I wouldn't have known that a 301 series existed. What's that thing on the other track? ;)

I have this terrible addiction to obscure old stuff, especially if it's cheap ;). The "thing" on the other track is a Bombardier double-decker driving car (Doppelstocksteuerwagen) forming a Regional Express train to Berlin via Hokkaido, Sakhalin and the Trans-Siberian railway. (They actually used to go past my apartment in Berlin, was feeling in a German mood the other day :) ).

• Like 1

Just won a bid on three Tomytec Kantō Railway 2100 types (one new livery, two old) with one damaged box. I think I'll have enough of these (five sets in total) for the coming time now... I think one or two of these will be subject to receive a new livery for a fantasy railway project I've been working on the last few weeks.

• Like 2

I have this terrible addiction to obscure old stuff, especially if it's cheap ;). The "thing" on the other track is a Bombardier double-decker driving car (Doppelstocksteuerwagen) forming a Regional Express train to Berlin via Hokkaido, Sakhalin and the Trans-Siberian railway. (They actually used to go past my apartment in Berlin, was feeling in a German mood the other day :) ).

Berlin via Hokkaido, Sakhalin and the Trans-Siberian railway that's an intrepid journey  :grin