What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

Claude_Dreyfus

My parcel from HS has turned up.

Car collection H1 - mainly for the Honda Shuttle taxi - and a three-car Hoki10000 Denki Kagaku Kogyo from Kawai. These three hoppers are not cheap, however look quite spectacular. I have been a little wary of Kawai in the past, owing to the somewhat suspect wheels and lack of detail on some of their models, however these three are something special...

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10047434

I should confess that these were purchased to a certain extent in error. It seems that HS have just added some extra pictures since I bought them, as I had the impression that these were covered hoppers used as part of chemical trains...I found these through putting 'Chemicals' into the search function. Not to worry though, they are nice models, and well worth keeping...

That's cool, I should check on R10 more often.

How much does it cost you?

I just payed mine from HS and it was 21080¥ + 1580¥ shipping.

Kumo,

R10 does not list preorders in trains much, when i see something coming i just email them a request to preorder the item and usually they say fine. then they just send the pp request when it comes in. they seem to still be doing 20% off on trains. price was 198400 yen plus 1590yen shipping.

jeff

Thanks. About 1200¥ saved, that's worth it!

Math > you.. By my calcs, Jeff paid a whopping 177,330 yen more including shipping!!!  :cheesy

Back on topic... Ok so it's been a REALLY good past week, er should I say, REALLY BAD past week.... *All* of these are currently in transit...

Tomix: Sayonara Hokuriku, Sayonara Naha/Akatsuki, N700-8000 R10, Tamba + Maizuru, 2 x EF66 JRF, ED75-1000, flat goods wagon, whole bunch of TN couplers

Kato: Yokosuka 113-1500 add-on (only took about 10 years for one to finally show up), 2 x 2 x wamu 38000, Hokutosei 6+6 deluxe formation

And possibly a few more items I am forgetting. Phewf! Can we say I have an addiction problem...

Oh and a lowly Shinkansen pantograph from our resident shop owner Bob...

That's cool, I should check on R10 more often.

How much does it cost you?

I just payed mine from HS and it was 21080¥ + 1580¥ shipping.

Kumo,

R10 does not list preorders in trains much, when i see something coming i just email them a request to preorder the item and usually they say fine. then they just send the pp request when it comes in. they seem to still be doing 20% off on trains. price was 198400 yen plus 1590yen shipping.

jeff

Thanks. About 1200¥ saved, that's worth it!

Math > you.. By my calcs, Jeff paid a whopping 177,330 yen more including shipping!!!  :cheesy

I guessed there was an extra 0 there. ;-)

2 Unitram V52 (straight expansion set) and a Unitram V51 (tramway expansion set crossing) from HS

also a Unitrack V16 double track concrete tie set from MB Klein!

Martijn Meerts
A friend is a surround sound engineer and mpeg encoder and on the side installs really high end AV systems. he goes to dolby school each year and about a third of the attendees are high end audiophiles and the rest engineers. first thing they do is they do is go into a sound stage with about 25 speaker systems and playback the same piece (from ultra high end gear) and have folks blind rank them. the $500/speaker BAs always win, competing with some speakers costing over $10k ea... lesson dolby teaches is most recorded stuff is not engineered to hear the difference on $10k speakers... many red faces are seen at the unveiling of what the crowd thought was what speaker when they take a guess at which was which...

his install clients do not believe this so he has tricked a few and installed the more inexpensive speakers for a test and the clients loved them and loved the savings in the end. a few still insist, but hey he gets a percentage on hardware so if they insist, he does it...

cheers,

jeff

My theory on that, is that the really high end speakers are built to produce sounds as clear and accurate as possible, whereas the cheaper ones are built to produce sounds that sound good to the average listener. With the compression on CD's, you're better off with the cheaper ones, but things like SACD, DVD Audio, BD Audio and vinyl can sound better on the high end gear, depending on the type of music and the quality of the recording.

Anyways, my turntable recently arrived at the new house, so I moved my receiver, speakers and subwoofer there as well. Vinyl definitely sounds warmer than CD (in most cases), so I'm happy. It looks quite good as well, but took me about an hour to set up what with the counter weight and antiskid weight needing to be installed :)

As for trains, got my colorful N700, the 35th anniversary cleaner, the brown cleaner + loco set (I now have 5 cleaning cars, and my father has one, so that makes a serious cleaning train ;)) as well as the monorail kits.

Haven't ordered anything new, but World Kougei has some interesting new things ....

My theory on that, is that the really high end speakers are built to produce sounds as clear and accurate as possible, whereas the cheaper ones are built to produce sounds that sound good to the average listener. With the compression on CD's, you're better off with the cheaper ones, but things like SACD, DVD Audio, BD Audio and vinyl can sound better on the high end gear, depending on the type of music and the quality of the recording.

Martijn,

in the dolby test i was mentioning they used very high end recording/playback and these were all folks with very discerning ears. they go onto then do the tests with surround sound with a range of equipment and speakers and again it turns out that the high end of mid range, low range of high end speakers do the best to the discerning listeners. the really top end stuff seems to be sold for those who just want to spend a lot of money... they also do matched vs specialized speakers (ie front, rear, side) for surround and the matched sets win as the dolby encoding specs were designed for matched speakers. every time he goes to this thing hes always amazed by the results and the reactions of the high end audiophiles...

turntable vs cd is a different story.

cheers

jeff

Yeah, a lot of the high end stuff is just penis extension .. Or so they think =)

its called BCLD here in the states for "Big Car Little Dick"

jeff

Just arrived

- Kato WaRa 1

- Tomix Re 12000

- Tomix TaMu 500

- Tomix ToRa 70000

I fudged the order a bit and came with 2x WaRa and 2x Re (seems I wasn't paying attention to how many times I pressed the buttons), rather than returning them I'll pass them on to two friend who caught the Japanese bug.

The @$@$@$$@$ Post Office was on strike for the whole month and has just come back. Because of the backlog I got stung by blankety-blank Customs...

Cheers NB

My Nishitetsu 5000 series arrived on friday.

Sadly, I was just able to have a look at it, not run it nor take pictures for my blog... :-(

Just pre-ordered 2 more World Kougei kits.. http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10121866 and http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10164431

I guess I really should start building the 4 I've already got before ordering new ones, but what the heck ;)

i got the deki 3 as well on order but the ef 13 looks intense to build some real skill involved there.

Skill i don't have  :laugh:

the deki however is a different story it looks within my capability.

Martijn Meerts

Keitaro, not so sure the Deki is easy. It's real small so not a lot of space to work on it :)

The EF13 is probably worse though, but nothing compared to a steamer kit, which I'll definitely be getting sometime (after finishing the current kits, because the steamers are too expensive to experiment on without prior practice ;))

The train room at the new house needs some lights, and then I can create a workspace there. After that I need to get me a micro torch and several varieties of solder (with different melting temperatures). I'll use that for soldering the shell and other larger bits, the detail bits I'll likely glue on using either superglue or epoxy.

Actually looking quite forward to it, just that the instructions aren't always very clear =)

wow big ding ding ding day!

HobbyLink box showed up with two orders in it!

first is my 1:144 RG Gundam RX-78-2 30th anniversary model. really nice detail on this one. the HGUC version had little surface details on it and no decals. I am working on a little diorama for future use on the layout of the 1:1 gundam exhibit and the HGUC one looked ok from 2-3', but up close it just didnt look like the real 1:1 had. this RG one looks to do the trick. not bad at 2000 yen. this one is going to take a couple of hours of assembly, lots o parts! nice that it all snaps together as later i think i want to add some lights to it.

the rest of the order was a bunch of stuff i ordered on the train sale last month. lots of prohobby figures at half off as well as 4 sets of prohobby tank style containers at 60% off!

also tomytec motor unit and wheels to power my Hanshen Tigers train.

also got one of the tomytec gas spheres. the sucker is a lot larger than i thought it was going to be, it measures about 4" in diameter.

and a few greenmax wall parts sections were on sale.

when hobbylink has stuff its proving to be a great deal with everything still at least 20% off list. not as great a selection of tomytec stuff as HS, but quality supplier.

cheers

jeff

Martijn Meerts

Jeff, any chance you could do a close-up comparison of some of the parts of the RG version and the "regular" HG version? I've been wondering what the RG's look like ;)

I have the HG version of the 30th anniversary RX-78-2 as well, and it definitely needs some work to look good form up close. A little painting, shading and panel lines already goes a long way though.

Oh, and if the snapping on the RG is anything like the HG's, you'll probably want to trim the little pins, otherwise they're near impossible to take apart again. I can make a picture of what I mean if needed, but it'll have to wait until after I start unpacking, as I have no idea where my camera's are at the moment =)

Jeff, any chance you could do a close-up comparison of some of the parts of the RG version and the "regular" HG version? I've been wondering what the RG's look like ;)

Martijn,

on first look in the box, there are many more parts, at least 2x i would say from the HG. also the parts are a bit more refined with more detailed curves. the big difference though that i was hoping for was more of the little panel lines in the larger plate pieces that you see big time on the 1:1 model. these can be brought out well with a wipe of medium gray paint that would settle lightly in the grooves. also its got an extensive decal set so it looks to have the decal detail on the 1:1 model. ill take some up close shots.

the joint system on the RG is much more articulated apparently than the HG. for $25 im happy!

yeah its not easy to pop the parts apart, but i think its not horrible if i need to mount a few parts. i might just go ahead and do them now. main ones are

eyes - yellow

helmet - red

neck - orange

shoulders - white (and red and green)

chest - yellow

belly - red

i may canibalize my old HG to play to see how the lighting works. may be way too much trouble than its worth to run smd leds inside it!

jeff

Martijn Meerts

Hmm.. Might have to order me 1 or more RG's then :)

I've looked a bit at the HG version when I built it (unpainted for now), and there's little room for LEDs. I really wanted some light in the eyes, but you'll need really small LEDs there.

well i do have the tiny 604 smd leds that are like 1.6mm x .8mm x 0.4mm! nice thing about the smaller smd leds is that they come out much more like a pinpoint of light so work better at scale for something like that. really does look like a nice model for the price. HobbyLink has a video of the assembly and there are quite a few vids on youtube of it.

jeff

Okay Boys, I have got a RG Zaku II MS-06S (Char's Custom) and most likely be placed into a scene in the Railway module (planning stages atm)

But getting back to trains:

I have just got from my friendly postie the Tomytec car collection basic set E3 - old and new commerical vehicles (4 vehicles) 

Martijn Meerts

Jeff, yeah, there are SMD LEDs small enough to fit in the 1:144 Gundam. I have a few of the really small ones as well, they really just look like 2 wires soldered together, the LED itself is hardly visible :)

As for trains, HS just shipped my dark blue Tomix DE10 :)

just come in today is the TOMIX 6432 Track Cleaning Car + ED61 (brown with red stripe) set plus two KATO Taki1000 oil wagons (blue with the colorful feathers).

just got a box from HS with my green max building add on kits i got on clearance sale. looks like this didnt fly well and greenmax is discontinuing it...

also my tomytec 4 seasons old version to compliment my kato new version. it was hard to pass up...

jeff