What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

JR500,

Withstand it! You can do it! ;) Think about other trains from your region that you want to get.

HHmm...... It's..... tough.... with...... the....... oozora...... front...... LED...... panel...... tiliting...... mechanism......

Thanks Jeff for the idea! Now i'll go try get some isopropanol to try it out. The local pharmacist should have it i presume? I do believe the tracks are very dirty, and upon inspection, the wheels aren't that clean either, being a used set and all... 

Hi Claude - Nope unfortuantely i do not have the Add-on... I can't run a train longer than 8-cars in my layout... The station can only accomodate until 8-cars max.. Any longer i make for the station will not allow the train to run on the layout anymore due to limited space... Unless of course i move house and get a room dedicated to the layout and no babies...

Loving the Super Azusa more and more each time i look/ run it... Superb!  

The station can only accomodate until 8-cars max.. Any longer i make for the station will not allow the train to run on the layout anymore due to limited space... Unless of course i move house and get a room dedicated to the layout and no babies...

You mean you haven't done this yet?   :dontknow:

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

My new soldering pen arrived yesterday. My whole setup is starting to look like I'm some sort of professional by now. Funny detail, there are 69 different tips available for that soldering pen, including several designed specifically for SMD soldering...

Haven't tried it yet, other than checking if it works at all and how fast it heats up (about 10 seconds to get to 350 celsius). Will likely give it a go on some World Kougei brass this upcoming weekend.

I sort of lost interest in the whole brass kits thing for a while after the slight disaster that was trying to solder using a mini-torch (too much heat too fast over a too large area basically) and partially messing up my deki3 kit (it's fixable ;)). However, having started on a fresh kit (Ki100 Russell snow plow) and soldering some of the easier parts using some flux and tin with some silver it's actually enjoyable again. Still making a lot of mistakes, but that's mainly because I can't read the manual, so I'm soldering parts in the wrong places =)

@ bill937ca: Erm sorry not sure what you meant? You mean the baby portion, or the dedicated room portion? Right now the layout just sits in an area about 2.8m Long x 1.4m Wide x 1.0m high.... 2.8m isn't very long hence 8-cars is about the max to make a nice loop... Unless i got something longer like a whole room length of about 5m... And houses, or rather, shoe box size apartments in Sillypore cost ALOT....

So i went out to the local pharmacy today, and tried out Isopropanol like Jeff suggested. Seems like i got my work cut out for me now! Look at the pictures! Major dirt!!

post-819-0-40773200-1372324626_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-60487200-1372324627_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-72500300-1372324629_thumb.jpg

Edited by JR500 のぞみ
  • Like 1

Jr, welcome to the train chore! Just keep wiping!

Try the wheels as well with the piece of alchol paper towel over the tracks. You can also do the motor car by purring one truck on the track and the other on the track with the paper towel over it you can the rub the moving wheels on the paper towel. Just go lightly and don't burn your traction tires. Other option is to just clean the power wheels manually with cloth alcohol and toothpicks!

Have fun, hope this helps the flickers.

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

That's pretty useful actually, I was having trouble with flickering lights and while I am at work today I might shoot off to the pharmacist and get some of that stuff. My tracks are filthy.

And putting some wheels on and running the train to clean them is good, but what about non powered carriages? If you don't mind me quickly asking, how do you clean those when the other way is kind of relying on the motion of the wheels to get the dirt off?

Keikyu

Just lay the paper towel across the tracks, soak with isopropanol then put the non powered car on the track and just push down a bit while you run the car over the paper towel on the tracks. You will see black lines appear! Then just move the paper towel over a bit to have a fresh bit of the towel on the rails and repeat until the black lines stop appearing.

Once the rails and wheels are clean if you clean the rails once and a while its a long time till you will need to clean wheels again.

Usually you can get big bottles (like a half liter) pretty cheap, small bottles can be pricy but usually have a nice applicator top like jr's!

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

Nice Keikyu! The Yamanote E231-500 is an iconic local train and should be bought~ I have that exact same set too, but i couldn't buy the add-on set as i can't handle running a 11-car train...

Nice B-Shorties too!

• Like 1

Thank you very much.

I am not big on JR Commuter trains really. The only other two I like are the 201 and 209.

But I think everyone has a soft spot for E231s, no matter how small that spot is  :icon_tongue:  It's quite a nice train in any of the various ways it has shown up.

• Like 1
Guest keio6000

Couldn't resist - just ordered Kato 10-377 Chiyoda Line 16000.  This, even though I already have Kato 10-367, Yurakucho/Fukutoshin 10000.   The 16000 is a Laurel prize winner and is a good looking train.   Plus,I lived close to Yoyogi Uehara for a bit (note the destination sign).

35110877.jpg

800px-Tokyo-metro_16108.jpg

I have a suprisingly large Chiyoda line collection:

- Win 103 Chiyoda color

- Microace 203 (I think)

- Microace 6000 (Tokyo Metro)

- if you count it, MicroAce MSE20000

- and now this

- I don't have the OER 9000, however.

Overall, I've come to really like collecting subway models though I try to limit it to certain lines to some extent.  From memory, here is my collection:

- Kato Marunouchi 500/300 *** ONE OF THE BEST MODELS EVER ***

- Kato Marunouchi 02

- Kato Ginza 01

- Endou Toei Shinjuku 10-000 *** very HTF **

- Yurakucho / Fukutoshini 10000

And here is my wish list:

Existing Models:

- MicroAce A7290 Toei Shinjuku

- Microace A7982 Toei Asakusa - Beautiful Train but not really in the set of lines that I collect

Not yet made models:

- Ginza 1000 or 2000 series *** surely Kato will do this within 2 years? ***

- Eidan 8000 series

• Like 2
NuclearErick
Something came in the post yesterday when the Mrs was around.. (shit)...

My shipment from Popodentta! I love the way Popondetta grades their used train sets. High standards of grading are given to them.. For example, the Super Azusa was graded as 'B' but it ran like as though it was brand new... It was already fitted with interior lightings on all the cars too which was what really attracted me to buy it...

The Greenmax catalogue was, well, kinda okay. I got it to see Greenmax structrures, but they emphasize on their train models instead. If you like old Kihas and older EMUs like the 80 series etc you will love Greenmax models. One thing to note though they come as kits and you need to build and paint them by yourself...

how i can order something used in Popondetta ??

lurkingknight

When I was walking through madarake osaka and akiba a couple months ago, their lower rating stuff for used was still of exceptional quality from a 1-5 scale 1 being highest standard, their 3s and 4s were still really great shape.

It's like a 2 star hotel in japan is still a 3 star here in north america. 

Something came in the post yesterday when the Mrs was around.. (shit)...

My shipment from Popodentta! I love the way Popondetta grades their used train sets. High standards of grading are given to them.. For example, the Super Azusa was graded as 'B' but it ran like as though it was brand new... It was already fitted with interior lightings on all the cars too which was what really attracted me to buy it...

Too bad you don't have space for a 10 car train. :P ;)
Oh so true.... Thanks for reminding... Or not? Haha ~ It's sad, but maybe i can just run 8 of them? Haha That's why i envy those that can run 16-car consists. Then they can even run this beauty connected with the E3 Komachi~~ Speaking of which, for those able to run 16-car consists, are you facing any problems running and stopping the new 17-car E5+E6 consists?

Yes Nuclear Erick! You can monitor what used sets they have for sale on their website here: http://www.popondetta.jp/ , at the left side with the wordings:

特急中古品

入荷情報

●中古KATOnew2.gif

●中古TOMIXnew2.gif

●中古MICRO ACE new2.gif

Basically they mean 'USED' Kato, "USED' Tomix and "USED' MicroAce. (中古 = used) There are also GreenMax and Modemo and other makers USED sets, this is just an express link to the top 3 makers. You can find the other makers 'USED' set for sale at their respective sections.

Click on them, and you will be directed to their used sections based on models. This part is quite tricky, as there are no pictures in their used models section, you have to be quite good at knowing the model numbers of which models you are looking for, as they are listed using model numbers. Also, there are descriptions in each model stating their condition and any damges/ missing items if any. Point to note, their grading is really tip-top like lurking-knight has highlighted. A 'B' rank set can easily be an 'A' rank set due to the high standard of grading by Popondetta, which is really good for us!

Oh yes forgot the purchase part! After you find out what you want, you can drop an email to them at tu-han@popondetta.com stating what model you want and the price. Popondetta will get back to you with an email informing you that the order is confirmed (or not). They can keep your order for maximum one month, so you can actually wait for more sets that you want to come along and combine shipping to save you $$$! But please be warned that there are no advance warnings nor pre-notification of what sets will be up for sale, so sometimes i ended up closing the sale with Popondetta, payment, and shipped out to me ONLY to see another set which i want badly to appear on the USED section. It hurts... Also, Popondetta ONLY uses EMS ONLY, no SAL or any other option. They kinda got angry with me once after i pestered them to using SAL for one of my smaller orders...

Hoped that helps!

*Disclaimer - I get NOTHING out from Popondetta from this, just trying to help others in whichever information i have. Thanks!

Edited by JR500 のぞみ
  • Like 1
Nick_Burman

Arrived:

- SPROG DCC/PC interface;

- Kato JOT TaKi 35000. This just about finishes my Chichibu tank train (please don't look too hard at it... :grin there is a 2-axle tank car in the middle and the tanks say gasorin rather than the correct diseru... :lipssealed:)

- Bachmann 18' On30 boxcars

Cheers NB

marknewton

If it's even half as nice as their HO C56 model, you'll be very happy with it!

Cheers,

Mark.

Yup, it looks great and I believe it runs very smooth. If if I ever get myself a steam loco I either get the C56 or a D51.