What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

Yay! A Keisei 3000 Type 90 Class from Microace (A6090)! Was only ¥7,140 at Hobbyland Pochi (including 15% off), so I just couldn't resist such a bargain, plus it runs like a dream. My first actual Keisei train (next to the B-trains), so a first step in the right direction IMO.

post-188-0-22418700-1371801112_thumb.jpg

I was actually hunting for Greenmax Keikyū 1000 Series economy kits, but it seems that these are out of the running... I really want to reproduce Keisei 3000~3100 types with the old front, but I guess this dream isn't going to happen any time soon. No Chiba Express trains for me...

Ohhh nice! You infected me with the Keisei 3000 type virus before, I'm really liking the looks of that train! I find it interesting to see that they have had so many fronts and liveries over the time.

Nick_Burman

Reserved: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10232025 - I'm not a B Train Shorty Fan, but the moment I saw this one I knew I had to order it, just for the loco. I'm crossing my fingers for it to be as close to scale as possible so I can draft it into the "Friends of the Tomiiden" fleet.

Cheers NB

Guest keio6000
Yay! A Keisei 3000 Type 90 Class from Microace (A6090)! Was only ¥7,140 at Hobbyland Pochi (including 15% off), so I just couldn't resist such a bargain, plus it runs like a dream. My first actual Keisei train (next to the B-trains), so a first step in the right direction IMO.

attachicon.gif6B867E75-6C58-487D-A3F1-43A64B7F734F.JPG

I was actually hunting for Greenmax Keikyū 1000 Series economy kits, but it seems that these are out of the running... I really want to reproduce Keisei 3000~3100 types with the old front, but I guess this dream isn't going to happen any time soon. No Chiba Express trains for me...

one of the nicest trains in my collection, full stop, though it looks absolutely nothing special in the MicroAce catalog or in photos, is MicroAce A7679 the special colour Keisei 3300 set.  It's just a wonderful set in person.

351a7679.jpg

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

Just ordered an additional soldering pen for my soldering station. An 80 watt pen with 2.3mm chisel tip, which should be nice for soldering brass kits. Will probably take a while to get here considering it's a more or less professional soldering station, and this kinda stuff isn't usually in stock ;)

I do hope it's going to work on the kits though, it's starting to become a rather expensive experiment otherwise ...

one of the nicest trains in my collection, full stop, though it looks absolutely nothing special in the MicroAce catalog or in photos, is MicroAce A7679 the special colour Keisei 3300 set.  It's just a wonderful set in person.

351a7679.jpg

To be honest, that is the one Keisei trains I seriously wouldn't consider buying on a whim. The livery (Akaden) is beautiful, I admit, but it doesn't reflect the original. This livery was only originally used by 3000~3300 types with the old-style front (high front lights and low rear lights). The same goes for the Aoden livery (two-tone dark azure), though I find that livery a bit more attractive. It could have something to do with the Aoden livery not being broken by the placement of the front lights, as with the Akaden livery. tl;dr. I'm not a big fan of revival liveries :P

If there'd been a 3200 in the modern Keisei livery, I'd bought it without hesitation. Also, I'm a big fan of Keisei in the mid-nineties (you know, AE1 and AE100 Skyliner trains, Chiba Express, lots of classic livery variations, all Toei subway types in action). The Fire Orange 3294 I bought ran up to 1994 in this livery. Perfect for my interests! :D

My big hope is that MicroAce or Greenmax start to release Keisei 3000~3300 trains with the old-style fronts some time... The Fire Orange livery looks really amazing in that combination, plus you have metal plated destination signs on the fronts as well.

Guest keio6000
To be honest, that is the one Keisei trains I seriously wouldn't consider buying on a whim

Well, a "whim" is exactly what I had bought this on.  I had just purchased the standard livery grey/blue 8-car set (sorry dont have the catalog here) and while at the store I noticed this akaden.   "This oddball surely doesn't fit my collection" I thought..  But then over the next few days, it hung on my mind and hung and hung and finally I couldn't take it any more and ran off to the store (probably TamTam - I don't remember) and got the last one and I've been happy ever since.  The Aoden is also beautiful,. but the Akaden was nice in that it kind of has that Toei asakusa line color vibe to it, at least in my imagination (I admit to not knowing so much about it).  That said, the below doesnt look to different from my model photo above

3146815_orig.jpg

I have both of the MA AE Skyliners (blue and brown).  However, I can't bring myself to get the AE100 (too ugly!).  I have a kit-built 3400 which is nice, and am debating a 3000 which is on yahoo now, but will probably pass as I'm also looking at a toei shinjuku 10-300 which is more thematic to my collection and I've bought 15 (!) sets this month alone.  The new AE is nice, but on my recent trips to Japan i find myself taking the NEX since it works out dirt cheap given the Suica+Nex promotion for those of us on visitor visas, so I have no 'connection' to the new AE and honestly it doesnt look very japanese.

I would get a 3500, as it has as 'so ugly it's cool' feel about it.

Of course, back then I didnt take the skyliner either - I always took the JPY 1000 standard tickets from Ueno to Narita :)

• Like 1

Something came in the post yesterday when the Mrs was around.. (shit)...

My shipment from Popodentta! I love the way Popondetta grades their used train sets. High standards of grading are given to them.. For example, the Super Azusa was graded as 'B' but it ran like as though it was brand new... It was already fitted with interior lightings on all the cars too which was what really attracted me to buy it...

The Greenmax catalogue was, well, kinda okay. I got it to see Greenmax structrures, but they emphasize on their train models instead. If you like old Kihas and older EMUs like the 80 series etc you will love Greenmax models. One thing to note though they come as kits and you need to build and paint them by yourself...

post-819-0-38483200-1371969012_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-60772100-1371969015_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-32942000-1371969018_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-56302200-1371969019_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-19144300-1371969022_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-86977200-1371969024_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-49216100-1371969027_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-78106200-1371969029_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-40486800-1371969032_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-34473900-1371969036_thumb.jpg

Nice trains man! Did you test the tilting system of the E351? It's one of my favorite JR East trains.

• Like 1

Yeterday a big box of Tomix and other stuff arrived from HS.  No trains, just "dressing" like the Greenmax third rail set and some trackside fencing, a few Fine Track elements I want to play with, and a couple of tunnel portals I might use once I see how the fit in. My reserved Bus Collection set (JB005) also came in last week and shipped late in the week, but hasn't arrived yet.

lurkingknight

put in a list for the first round of station pieces I need to test my concept... hope to see it in my hands soon so i can mess with it... then get to ordering track.

Martijn Meerts

JR500, that super azusa is lovely, one of my early train purchases that one. Took a while to get and probably paid too much because it had been out of production for a while at the time, but still happy I bought it.

You forget the add-on set for it though =)

Nice trains man! Did you test the tilting system of the E351? It's one of my favorite JR East trains.

Erm.. You got me Densha... I read in Kato catalogue that this train tilts, but i can't understand how to get it tilting... I mean, do i run it on a normal curve track and it tilts by itself? I tried running on my Kato canted track, but since the track is already canted, all trains tilt hence not much difference for the Super Azusa... I then tried it on my Tomix overhead curve track that is not canted, but i cant see clearly the tiliting... Is it somthing i'm missing out here?

Thanks Martijn! I thought for a very long time whether or not to get this train, and couldn't bear paying so much for it... I chanced upon Popondetta and viola! A good price with interior lightings! I knew it was the time to strike! I wanted to get the add-on too, but i cant run a 12-car train in my layout so unfortunately i had to run just the 8-car set... A pity yes cause the train looks wierd without two beautiful front LED panels on both ends... The lighted LED panels with the wordings 'Super Azusa' is just stunning! I love these panels that's why i got the Super Hitachi too ~~ I think the Super Ozora also has these front LED panels, right? What other trains might i be missing on this feature?  

Martijn Meerts

With regards to the tilting mechanism, it does tilt, and it's quite noticeable when it goes into and comes out of a curve. On canted track it'll still tilt, and it actually ends up looking a bit weird ;)

The tilt mechanism is in the bogies, and the sharper the curve, the more it tilts. So if you try on large radius curves you won't notice it much at all.

Not sure which others trains have such an LED panel, it wasn't the main reason I bought the train. I just always loved trains with the driver's cab up high, and I really like the colours and general look of the Super Azusa.

These tracks are not canted and you can see the train tilting:

Maybe there's a switch for it under each car? ???

Well at least it's not like with almost every Shinkansen and other long trains that you HAVE to buy the add-on to make it prototypically, the minimum for prototype is 8 cars with this train after all.

The funny thing is, that the E351 series is fairly well known in the Dutch rail fanbase; it was even on a calendar of the Dutch railway association two years back. It has much resemblance with this train after all: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NS_Intercity_Materieel

If I'd win the lottery I would get it together with the other modern Chuo line rolling stock (E233, E257 series) and the awesome orange 201 series. http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/ymg_tks/GALLERY/show_image.html?id=29743681&no=7

Edited by Densha

Oh yes! Thanks guys for pointing that out!

I made some test videos yesterday and i really could see the tiliting mechanism in action! Very nice!

I'm thinking something is very wierd with the motor... Or is it my tracks? You can clearly see lights flickering and also the motor tends to slow down sometimes...

I'm glad i bought the Super Azusa! It's a real beauty!

Now according to Kato, there are other models like the 10-410 White Kamome and 10-476 Super Oozora that has factory-fitted 'tilting' mechanism... Now thw Oozora is really attracting me... But it's a Hokaido train...

Edited by JR500 のぞみ

I'm thinking something is very wierd with the motor... Or is it my tracks? You can clearly see lights flickering and also the motor tends to slow down sometimes...

Dirty wheels more like.

JR500,

Withstand it! You can do it! ;) Think about other trains from your region that you want to get.

Edited by Densha

Jr,

Take a piece of cloth with some isopropanol on it and wipe down the rails. See if you get black lines on the cloth.

Check your wheels (was this a used set?) they may be dirty as well. Just put a paper towel over a hunk of track and soak it with isopropanol and the run the car back and forth by hand vigorously. If you see dark lines on the paper, move to a clean section and keep repeating until the black goes away.

The tilting mech might be worse than regular trains with some dirt on the track and/or wheels.

Best of luck!

Jeff

Edited by cteno4
Claude_Dreyfus

An interesting challange I found with the Super Azusa is negotiating curves with the add-on set. There is no give in the coupling for the tilt...resulting in derailments.

Not sure if you have the add-on, or if you do, have the same issue...

This was my thought as well with wheels lifting a tiny bit to loose contact. Little dirt would accentuate this.

Jeff

Martijn Meerts
An interesting challange I found with the Super Azusa is negotiating curves with the add-on set. There is no give in the coupling for the tilt...resulting in derailments.

Not sure if you have the add-on, or if you do, have the same issue...

Haven't had any issues with that myself, but I haven't run it much, and really only on a simple oval when I did. I do have a little bit of an issue in the superelevated curve I did for my storage yard/return loop, and I do think the Super Azusa might actually derail there. Will likely need to adjust the easing out of the superelevated section.