What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

Will be sending you the PM in a minute Mardon! I'm moving towards boycotting HS soon...

Boycotting HS?

You guys definitely know something that I dont. If you dont mind sharing .......... Im all ears! :)

Also, can you guys recommend a good 2-3 car Kiha? Jeff got me looking into those and I think I wanna add a set to my layout.

Is this a Kiha?

Mardon

Mudkip Orange
I'm moving towards boycotting HS soon...

Why?

For one thing, they have an intuitive user interface. For another, because they've been around forever they have a decent backstock of items that weren't released recently.

Now obviously if all you're buying is trains that just came out then they're not the cheapest. I have some pre-orders in with Loco1 right now. But my last order was with HS, and I was able to score some Railway Collection items that had been out for awhile and weren't available elsewhere.

Also, can you guys recommend a good 2-3 car Kiha? Jeff got me looking into those and I think I wanna add a set to my layout.

Is this a Kiha?

Yes that is a Kiha, the Kiha47 series from JR Shikoku to be precise. MicroAce made a model of it years ago and I'm looking for it.

I don't think we can really decide what you like, there are tons of Kiha's (diesel trains) and we don't know what you're looking for. Era/location used/company/express or local/etc.? There are lots of them available in model too.

HS (yes again) has a good inventory list of Kiha's: express trains and local (or commuter) trains.

Yes that is a Kiha, the Kiha47 series from JR Shikoku to be precise. MicroAce made a model of it years ago and I'm looking for it.

I don't think we can really decide what you like, there are tons of Kiha's (diesel trains) and we don't know what you're looking for. Era/location used/company/express or local/etc.? There are lots of them available in model too.

HS (yes again) has a good inventory list of Kiha's: express trains and local (or commuter) trains.

Thanks Densha!

Nothing in particular but probably '90 and up to rival with my 2 other freight locos (EF210 and DF200). That Kiha 47 would be swell, thou.  :)

You can choose a train produced in the '90s (Kiha110 for example) but the Kiha40/474/48 series for example is from earlier years and of course still active nowadays so also usable in that period. Even the Kiha 30 for the '60s has only been retired last year on the Kururi Line. But again, that's just one of the very few examples of what is available.

You can choose a train produced in the '90s (Kiha110 for example) but the Kiha40/474/48 series for example is from earlier years and of course still active nowadays so also usable in that period. Even the Kiha 30 for the '60s has only been retired last year on the Kururi Line. But again, that's just one of the very few examples of what is available.

Thanks Densha - I will look into that.

.........or how about the Kato Kiha 47 "Aqualiner"?  Im thinking of a repaint that could be a worthwhile project, but thats just me!  :)

Mardon

Why?

For one thing, they have an intuitive user interface. For another, because they've been around forever they have a decent backstock of items that weren't released recently.

Mudkip, like i've mentioned before they really did have an extensive data base, which is very useful for photos and infomation of items that most suppliers are currently missing. However, the prices didn't justify for this. Hence i really 'made-use' of the their data base and the wish list function to search and benchmark what i wanted, and requested them from other cheaper suppliers instead.

This parcel dropped in today EMS from HS. Anyone noticed the number of items have been drastically reduced?

I pre-ordered the car collection so i had to honour that, and only grabbed a few items that i thought would be hard for others to source out so...  

post-819-0-28050900-1365156665_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-21638000-1365156679_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-77258400-1365156692_thumb.jpg

Mudkip Orange
However, the prices didn't justify for this. Hence i really 'made-use' of the their data base and the wish list function to search and benchmark what i wanted, and requested them from other cheaper suppliers instead.

I don't see how "not being the cheapest" justifies you bashing them in multiple threads though. For instance over in "Painted Trains" you wrote "No prize for guessing who i pre-ordered from though ~ Definately Not HS ~." This is in addition to you saying you're close to "boycotting" them here.

We have a wide range of suppliers available right now and that's great. I can see criticizing a retailer like Newhall Station which sells for significantly over MSRP, but HS discounts - they just don't offer *the biggest discount*. It's no different from local hobby stores. Here in Houston there's a shop way out in the suburbs that sells at a great discount, and there's another shop right in the center of town that sells at MSRP. We're better off having both as options.

I do have to agree, while I love a great price, I don't feel like hs is so bad. Yes they are not discounting as they use to or as much as some places, the difference is not outrageous and they provide a very extensive English website a huge inventory. Inventory is not cheap and can cost you if you guess wrong you can be very costly... It's nice to have some great options, but I don't think words like boycott are reasonable. I'll continue to buy some from hs, but also will from other options as well.

Jeff

Apologises for sounding like i'm bashing HS, but truth is i'm not. Yes perhaps boycott is too strong a word, and the excitement of getting newer and cheaper suppliers got the better of me. Apologises for that.

Dont get me wrong, HS still has a very extensive data base and some long-sold out items for sale. They even have a restock of the Bus Collection 12 which is already mostly sold out!

• Like 1

no worries jr, i think the great point here is we have options again! with the loss of hobbyworld and rainbow10 things were much more limited for a long while there. its really nice to have shops like locoone and fmodels willing to give good discounts and preorder discounts and very direct customer service. some though are not as comfortable ordering by email so the sites like hs and plazajapan give them a level of comfort they are willing to pay a bit more for with big selection on the shelf. but many of us that know exactly what we want and are spending bucks appreciate the ability of smaller shops trying to get us the best price an looking out for what we want. no one of these places will probably fit everyone so with the options again it really helps grow the hobby internationally, and hopefully bring more business and profits to all the shops that are trying to serve this niche market! and hs and plazajapan can do with a little competition to boot!

we all end up having our favorite shops that get a lot of our business for one reason or another and thats good, doesnt make the other ones bad (except maybe the shops that are obviously gouging), just we all have our own personalities. 

ive been spending way less on trains lately (combo of limited work coming up and i have a big pile here already to play with!) so am not shopping as much as i use to, but really do love the new options myself and am taking advantage of them and the price and service has been great!

cheers

jeff

Edited by cteno4
Krackel Hopper

Getting this thread back on topic..

I just received my latest order.

B-Train Shorty - Shiki 880 (Evangelion) 

Fujimi - Sapporo 3300 Tram (Yuki Miku 2012)

Fujimi - Sapporo 3300 Tram (Yuki Miku 2013)

Tomytec - Tetsudou Musume Container Collection (SP:02)

Neko Publishing - Kiha 54-500 (Lupin the Third)

Pulled a chase from the container collection - woot!  Looking on Yahoo Auctions JP people are asking about $50 for it.. but I'm fairly sure I'll keep it.  

My Kiha 54-500 Lupin the 3rd is a nice looking train!  Expensive as heck.. but it's Hokkaido (my regional focus) and it's Lupin.. an anime series the little lady really enjoys.  She said the only thing she wished were different, she would have preferred it to be the 'green jacket' Lupin instead of the 'red jacket'.  I did enjoy the case.  It comes in a plastic VHS clam shell style case, with inserts as if it were a video.

Miku trams look nice, and not too difficult to assemble.  However, I'll be waiting to see if anyone finds a power unit that fits to motorize these trams.

Will post some pics later - if anyone is interested

• Like 2
My Kiha 54-500 Lupin the 3rd is a nice looking train!  Expensive as heck.. but it's Hokkaido (my regional focus) and it's Lupin.. an anime series the little lady really enjoys.  She said the only thing she wished were different, she would have preferred it to be the 'green jacket' Lupin instead of the 'red jacket'.  I did enjoy the case.  It comes in a plastic VHS clam shell style case, with inserts as if it were a video.

Miku trams look nice, and not too difficult to assemble.  However, I'll be waiting to see if anyone finds a power unit that fits to motorize these trams.

Will post some pics later - if anyone is interested

Ohhh, sounds all very good! Lucky that both the Miku trams as the Kiha54 are from Hokkaido! I'd say look at Tomytec chassis', but also googling in Japanese may give a lot of info.

And yes, I'm interested in pics! I'm thinking about getting the Shiki880 too, have you made it able to run on track with the replacement bogies?

Krackel Hopper

Sorry to take so long to post.. here's a few pics (from the phone, so not high quality)

I have not built the shiki880 yet, but there was one on Ebay just a few days ago.  It included running trucks (Kato I believe) and was a nice looking piece.  I do have some extra Kato trucks that I will use for assembly to test what radius curve this setup can take.. will post that in the B-Train thread once complete.

post-180-0-87814800-1365378553_thumb.jpeg

post-180-0-22531000-1365378577_thumb.jpeg

post-180-0-52967100-1365378584_thumb.jpeg

post-180-0-06604700-1365378591_thumb.jpeg

post-180-0-02406200-1365378597_thumb.jpeg

Nice score Krackel Hopper! The case of the Lupin looks great, just like a DVD~ I'm loving the last container picture! Sweet!

Mudkip Orange

From TOKYO-RAIL...

Keihan 3000 Moonlight 4-car set.

Yes, I paid through the nose. But I've wanted this train for three years, and I've missed two releases - the first due to lack of funds, the second due to not being "on the ball" during the 5 days it was available for pre-order at HS. Loco1 has the 4-car addon set waiting for me and will ship it when some other stuff I ordered from him comes in.

• Like 1

I can't afford all of this this month, but I bought a few Tomix buffers, another mini-platform (making three double platforms out of two sets) and another mini-point set.

I feel I can now operate a small railway company with six points, though I want a few more points (maybe eight or 10) and a bit more rolling stock (at least 10 cars) to approach the 'realism' of a small company a bit more.

post-188-0-57182400-1365468108_thumb.jpg

Buildings will come much later. I can't have this laying around when the misses is at home.

• Like 1
Mudkip Orange

The long-awaited 3000 Series Moonlight.

Of all the packages I've had shipped from Japan, I think this one is arguably the most Japanese looking.

post-127-0-58318300-1365519732_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-44917900-1365519744_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
Claude_Dreyfus

I have one of these on their way to me...not from this supplier however.

Another missing piece of my Chuo line collection.

http://www.kato-unitrack.co.uk/kato-10-426-189-series-azusa-7-car-powered-set-2042-0.html

Hopefully it will turn up before Yamanouchi Oshika goes to its next exhibition this weekend. For those interested, it will be the Crawley MRS show at Horsham...UK I'm afraid!

Parcel came in today from Fmodels Motoko Ann. Took advantage of the recent Tomytec sale and the first time i'm trying out their store. Just to share my maiden experience with them:

I have to say, i'm pleased with Motoko Ann san's customer service, and the way they handled the whole transection patiently and professionally. The item came in SAL to save me $$$, and actually i ordered more than the SAL could handle. Motoko Ann san was friendly and thoughful enough to advise me to cancel 2 items if i wanted SAL or have to pay more for EMS, which i did! I acknowledge and appreciate their thoughtfulness to save the buyers money at the expense of making more business. Definate thumbs up for me~

Definately returning to purchase more from them!

post-819-0-86847800-1365584486_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-36202600-1365584490_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-08306100-1365584496_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-96208400-1365584502_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome haul! I still need to visit F Models, but since I'm so low on cash, I can't... The 70% off is too good to be true, just bad timing on my behalf...

There's a train on its way from Fmodels too. I had another reservation but for some reason there was a mistake concerning the price, but after it was cleared up it looked like as if I confused her even more. I don't understand. >_<

I can't afford all of this this month, but I bought a few Tomix buffers, another mini-platform (making three double platforms out of two sets) and another mini-point set.

I feel I can now operate a small railway company with six points, though I want a few more points (maybe eight or 10) and a bit more rolling stock (at least 10 cars) to approach the 'realism' of a small company a bit more.

attachicon.gif06CBDE15-B532-47D7-98C6-C537327FFFEA.JPG

Buildings will come much later. I can't have this laying around when the misses is at home.

That's a good looking small layout.

• Like 1