New NHK World show: Japan Railway Journal

miyakoji

I find this episode much like a summary but still it's nice to watch...

That last portion with the 'Door Indicator Lights off' really made me laugh... it just feels so strange to have these commands shout out in English ~

Thanks Lee.

ps: JR500, what i still find strange is using manual door controls and external door lights on a modern train instead of a sensor based automatic system. Is it installed on newer sets?

ps: JR500, what i still find strange is using manual door controls and external door lights on a modern train instead of a sensor based automatic system. Is it installed on newer sets?

Well, I guess it's the portion that makes true technology still humane. While the sensor doors would be cool, having an actual human looking and responding to any sudden situation immediately is also critical, especially so for service standards. I think JR still holds this mindset of providing the best service to all to make it a wonderful ride is what makes riding the shinkansen such a joy....

It wasn't until the N700A that it had cruise control too, which should be a function to can be added on the earlier models.... I guess compensating for gradients and such is just too much training and taking up way too much time so might as well program the ATC to do this perfectly... It takes years and years of experimental driving to come up with adequate and extensive data to provide an almost perfect cruise control to counter all the gradients and curves speed compensation...

It takes years and years of experimental driving to come up with adequate and extensive data to provide an almost perfect cruise control to counter all the gradients and curves speed compensation...

The funny thing is that it could be extremly simple. For speed matching, you need speed sensors and simple differential logic. Most modern DCC decoders support it. Power is controlled according to load. For emu-s this could be retrofitted into the cab cars only, but fine control needs a train control bus upgrade to allow speed signalling instead of power step signals. Cruise control could support analog fixed speed and digital atc too. Afaik the first speed keeping systems were added to steam locomotives with indusi ats.

Hmmm, still not getting notifications, have just tried unfollowing and then following again to see if that reboots it. :\

good idea Lee

Good in theory, hopeless in practice... I didn't know your reply was here until I came back to the site.

The notifications are not getting filtered into my Spam box, so unless my mail provider has found a reason to block them before they ever get to me, I don't know what the problem is. :(

Edited by LeeC22

Maybe you can check the spam filter of your provider by login on the webmail service if present. I have the same problem with another forum and solved setting the webmail spam filter

You can normally just have an option to select that message from said sender is not junk/spam.  Then from there onwards, it goes into your inbox.

Lee,

It looks like the smtp server for the forum is shutdown right now due to lots of bounces, so no notifications. Not sure if we can keep notifications going as they can look like spam to many isps that lead to bounces that then can lead to our sending ip getting blacklisted. It's a nasty game with all the isps. We will see what can be done, but we have had these issues in the past where blacklisting occurs with the notifications looking like spam or isps wanting certain header formatting that needs to get fiddled with,

Jeff

bobbodaclown

Hmmm, still not getting notifications, have just tried unfollowing and then following again to see if that reboots it. :\

No I'm not either! I just checked in to see what was happening because the forum had been unusually quiet.

So a belated thank you Lee for posting Episode 31.

Oh and I just found 32 a few posts above so a double thanks!!

Edited by bobbodaclown

new smtp server is up, but we may currently be blocked by many mail servers due to the old server bouncing many messages that may have us on some blacklists. its a mess to get clear of them and something to work on but with todays issues with spam and how many ways you can get blacklisted sending things like these notifications its not sure we can continue them or not.

jeff

• Like 1
fpav_2125

In next week another new episode about Toden Arakawa Line (the only tram line in Tokyo) focused in the new interest as tourist atraction. This line has the "Certificate of Excellence" from Tripadvisor website. Besides, a report about "Toreiyu Tsubasa", the only train with foot bath in Yamagata Shinkansen.

May 12, 2017

Toden Arakawa Line: A Hidden Gem for Tourists from Overseas

The Toden Arakawa Line is a streetcar service in the center of Tokyo. There are over 30 stops on the 12.2km line, and transports over 16.6 million people annually. Throughout the years, the line has operated as a means of local transport but recently has been gaining interest among tourists from overseas. In 2015, the line was awarded the "Certificate of Excellence" from the world's largest tourist website, TripAdvisor. In this program, we introduce the Toden Arakawa Line and the everyday lives of local Tokyo residents. Then "Trains in Focus" grants a peek of Yamagata Shinkansen's "Toreiyu Tsubasa".

Hours of Broadcast (London Time)

Thursday, May 11 16:30 - 17:0022:30 - 23:00

Friday, May 12 4:30 - 5:0010:30 - 11:00

Edited by fpav_2125
  • Like 3

In next week will come again another new episode about the onboard services in japanese trains, this is another good month with new consecutive episodes.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/japanrailway/201705100600/

May 19, 2017

All the Comfort You Require: Onboard Services on Japanese Trains

From high-speed Shinkansen to tourist trains operated by local railways, onboard trolley services are available on various trains, and is a unique service in Japan. In this program, we introduce various features of the trolley service such as the systems, customer-care training as well as the latest techniques and approaches, which makes onboard trolley services an essential part of rail travel in Japan.

Hours of Broadcast (London Time)

Thursday, May 1816:30 - 17:0022:30 - 23:00

Friday, May 19 4:30 - 5:0010:30 - 11:00

Edited by fpav_2125