New NHK World show: Japan Railway Journal

miyakoji

Thank You Lee! 

ps: It looks like the Kushiro steam train is running with four modified 14 series coaches and one older car. I'm surprised they used 14 series cars in a stove train.

Next week will come another episode of Japan Railway Journal focused in winter operation of JR East Iiyama Line (Nagano Prefecture)

Data here:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/japanrailway/201703010600/

March 10, 2017

The Long Winter of Discontent: One Railway's Battle against Snow

The Iiyama Line in Nagano Prefecture operates in one of Japan's snowiest regions. 7.85m of snow has been recorded along the line, which is the record among Japanese railways. Heavy snow is an obstacle that cannot be avoided in this region, so clearing it is crucial to maintaining scheduled operations. In this program, we introduce the latest vehicle that operates as both a snow plow and blower, various countermeasures used to combat snow, and the railway's battle against the long harsh winter.

Hours of Broadcast (London Time)

Thursday, March 9 15:30 - 16:0021:30 - 22:00

Friday, March 10 3:30 - 4:009:30 - 10:00

Edited by fpav_2125
  • Like 3

In next week another new episode about the Shinkansen project in Texas (between Dallas and Houston) with the support of JR Central. Details here:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/japanrailway/201703290600/

April 7, 2017

Dreams of a Texas Bullet Train: Future Plans for Japan's High-Speed Railways

Japan's high-speed rail system, the shinkansen, may soon be flying across the U.S., with plans to connect 2 major cities in Texas. Traveling between Dallas and Houston now takes up to 4 hours by car or plane, but with support from Tokaido Shinkansen operator, JR Central, the project aims to connect the cities in just 90 minutes. Join us as we look at the Texas Bullet Train, a project scheduled to begin operations in 2023 that could be the foothold for future exports of shinkansen technology.

Hours of Broadcast during summer time (London Time)

Thursday, April 6 16:30 - 17:0022:30 - 23:00

Friday, April 7 4:30 - 5:0010:30 - 11:00

Edited by fpav_2125

Well, I found this in "The Texas Tribune" site:

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/01/24/report-texas-bullet-train-among-new-federal-transp/ (January 24 2017)

The headline is: "Texas bullet train, Dallas-area rail line among Trump's transportation priorities"

In summary, this project is a private initiative and has been considered among the priorities in the Trump government, but in Texas Central Partners say they don't need public money. And is true that JR Central have a lot of benefits thanks to the Shinkansen?

The rest after the Japan Railway Journal episode.

Great episode! Loved seeing the snow fighting gear, and the Iiyama line in Winter has been a favourite of mine ever since I saw this epic video of a very normal Kiha 110 service battling the snow on that line, with no problems at all:

So was especially exciting for me to see what goes on behind the scenes in that video, and I recognised some of the snow fighting structures that till now have been a bit of a mystery.

Thanks very much Lee for the video, trains don't really "do" snow in New Zealand, so trains in snow is always a bit magical, and doubly so when it's JR!

The next week another episode of Japan Railway Journal about the tourist trains of JR Kyushu. This is the best two weeks with consecutive episodes  :)

Using Railways to Promote Local Tourism: Kyushu Railway Company's Strategy

There are currently over 100 tourist trains in service throughout Japan. Among the various companies operating tourist trains, the Kyushu Railway Company, also known as JR Kyushu, operates 11 unique tourist trains which helps endorse tourism in the area. In this program, we introduce JR Kyushu's popular tourist trains and their strategy that links tourist trains to the revitalization of the region.

Hours of Broadcast (London Time)

Thursday, April 13 16:30 - 17:0022:30 - 23:00

Friday, April 14 4:30 - 5:0010:30 - 11:00

Edited by fpav_2125

For some reason, I am getting no notifications of anything being posted in this thread. :( Not sure why but given my inability to know what day we're on, that is a concern over notifications about upcoming episodes... and about any Train Cruise Episodes saying that, it has just occurred to me that I might have missed one of them already.

I can only hope that they don't change the time/day of this show.