Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

HHhmmm it seems like some decals will be given when train models are bought during that event in the yard? It seems the decals can be stuck at the front of the bookcase to write in the date of purchase so one can note the purchase date. Not a bad idea to keep track of your train models...

The all new C57 is interesting even though it seems to be from Kyushu (I am more interested in Hokkaido). Hopefully Kato will release a Hokkaido version given that the Kato model is of a fourth version engine and as I understand it the only fourth generation loco that survives is Hokkaido loco C57 201.   A C55 would also be very nice (the C57 is an updated C55).

What surprises me a LOT is that Kato is doing the a DMU from a private railroad, namely the Kashima Rinkai Tetsudou 6000 series. Adding that to the Seibu 5000 makes clear Kato is heading towards more private railway stuff now which is great. And damn, now they're doing a JR West 223-6000 series but for I second I thought it may be the 223-5000. I really need my Marine Liner fix someday.

Only been in railroad modelling for about 6 months.  Kato offerings have been pretty slim in that time.  Good to see them release some interesting stuff.  I already had some MArch stuff reserved before it was mentioned/posted here.

The C57 was a surprise and as Kyushu is my favoured area I am delighted as these were used as mixed traffic locos. The class numbers Kato propose are C57 192 195 196 and 199. However C57 196 was fitted with the Kokura version of the German Witte style deflectors at the time that Kato are modelling. 

It would be quite easy for Kato to offer the Hokkaido version as the detail differences are small, extra headlamp, icicle cutter on the boiler top while the cab appears to be the same enclosed type. 

I would agree the C55 is a strong possibility to follow at a later date. 

I would agree the C55 is a strong possibility to follow at a later date. 

I was hoping they'd remake the C11 or C58, or even do a C12 using the mechanism from the C56 but it's all good.

• Like 1

Tramway are offering a new C11 later in 2014 so I expected Kato to respond but there's still time. Kato have a C59 and C60 listed in their catalogue so they may be issued in the future.

A C12 is possible from the C56 as is the C55 from the C57.

A decent 8620 and D50/60 would be very welcome.

Guest keio6000

The Seibu 5000 red arrow is an absolutely bizarre choice. It's an old train that's already been by Tomix.   I mean, why didnt they at least do the new 10000 red arrow.

The 10000 with the 'throwback' livery (and face) is the best implementation of throwback or homage livery ever.   It perfectly conjures up the old 5000 while nevertheless maintaining the new train's modernity.

I got the tomix version for nearly zero on ebay about a year ago.  It was absolutely filthy and it took me about 7 hours to clean it with q-tips. I only got it because it was cheap - this release does nothing for me, even though I am a Kato fan.

I wouldnt mind seeing a Kato Seibu 2000, though it's an obvious candidate for microace.  I suspect though that by fiat that has been 'given' to greenmax.

I wouldnt mind upgrading my Kato KiHa-82 with a new one as I have the old Kato 10-131.

The two-car yamanote 103 set is bizarre beyond words.  Can anybody explain the rationale?

The two-car yamanote 103 set is bizarre beyond words.  Can anybody explain the rationale?

That's the service pack for the post platform door sets. You have to replace the two 6 door cars with these two. One of them has the same door layout as a shorter set with a driving cab, so the doors have to be aligned according to that. The other end of the trains align at the ends, so only 1 modified car was needed, the other is just a standard layout one. (they have to share platforms with 10 car keihin-tohoku e233-1000-s)

Guest keio6000
That's the service pack for the post platform door sets. You have to replace the two 6 door cars with these two. One of them has the same door layout as a shorter set with a driving cab, so the doors have to be aligned according to that. The other end of the trains align at the ends, so only 1 modified car was needed, the other is just a standard layout one. (they have to share platforms with 10 car keihin-tohoku e233-1000-s)

Sorry either my brain isnt working or im missing something.  What do 103s have to do with E233s, who came in to service well after the last Yamanote 103 was retired?  There were platform doors while there were 103 class trains on the yamanote line?

My poor reading of the Japanese suggests that this has more to do with the ATS equipment, specifically some small pickup coil and possibly antennas.

Sorry, i mixed it up with the two car e213 set. Yes, the 2 car 103 is also a service pack that differs in the ATC and also has a different cab height. (there was a low and high cab version)

Wikipedia:

"ATC equipped sets:
Built between 1974 and 1980. The front end design was changed with the driver's cab raised so that an ATC signalling system could be included. Kuha 103 of this version was used in the Tokyo area only."

http://www.1999.co.jp/itbig25/10254314k.jpg

Edited by kvp
Guest Closed Account 1

Why do you want the same model from 2 different brands?

HS and other sites will ban you for canceling orders.

I'm not in a rush to be the first boy on my block to get one because I don't know anyone else in my city collecting high speed trains. So, I'll be first every time. :)

Webskipper, I have both versions of the 500 series Shinkansens, So I can have one can run one way and the other version and run of the opposite track, plus I have to keep my title as the AJMRG Shinkansen runner at the top level lol XD

Sarah Brennan-Dunn

• Like 1