Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

Martijn Meerts

The Orient Express must be popular, I think that's the 4th time they're doing a re-run..

Also, I might actually have to get the E655 now that the emperor's car should be fairly easy to get .. And I wasn't going to buy any more trains =)

The Orient Express must be popular, I think that's the 4th time they're doing a re-run..

It's popular in europe, since they shipped the original ones to japan, so any european modeller wishing to obtain the currently running set has to buy the kato version (and discard the two adapter cars, since they were used only in japan). Other manufacturers are only offering the pre WWII variant.

Are they different stock numbers from the old ones? 10-561 and-562?  Were 13 cars also, not 15?

katoftw, good point. Didn't notice that at first look. New number suggests new version not restock.

kvp, which are the two adapter cars? I wasn't aware of that.

Martijn Meerts

Yeah, looks like it might be a different version.. Mine is 13 cars (7-car base + 6-car add-on) .. This might be a different version than the one that ran in Japan, unless either the old set aren't prototypically correct, or they ran multiple consists in Japan.

Was also looking at previous D51 498 - it was still old version with dodgy front wheels and large motor in cab area.  2006-3 stock number i think?

maybe new one will be the D51 newer version without large motor in cab area and brass piping showing?

Martijn Meerts

There already is a new version of the D51-498 with Orient Express lettering, but it was only released in Japan. I managed to get one through Plaza Japan at the time.

Was also looking at previous D51 498 - it was still old version with dodgy front wheels and large motor in cab area.  2006-3 stock number i think?

maybe new one will be the D51 newer version without large motor in cab area and brass piping showing?

It was 2016-2. I would also prefer new version.

There already is a new version of the D51-498 with Orient Express lettering, but it was only released in Japan. I managed to get one through Plaza Japan at the time.

What is its part number?

Martijn Meerts

As far as I know, the 2006-3 is the Kato Roundhouse version with motor in the cab and no lights, the 2016-2 is a re-tooling with flywheel motor in the boiler, lighting and much more detail.

kvp, which are the two adapter cars? I wasn't aware of that.

The adapters are the basic set's first and last car, a MANI 50 and ONI 23. They can be recognised by having european buffers on one side and japanese coupers on the other. They were added to the ends of the european train, so it became movable with japanese locomotives and also acted as a buffer car in case of a shunting accident.

By the look of the poster the Emporer's car comes with the chrysanthemum crest and Japanese flags, I wonder if they will be available seperately for those who got the original limited run.

A different variation of the DD51 to add to my roster, I wonder if the third headlight is working or just decoration.

On January 29 kato USA made this statement on Twitter.

"We just recieved an early sample of something that's going to knock the socks off N UNITRACK users -hopefully we'll be able to show it soon!"

Any ideas what it might be? The turntable at last?

I have the 10-561/10-562 version of the Orient Express and the booklet that came with the set has several photos of the train in Japan and all show the same 13 car consist that comes in the set.

The first car (blue and white) in the Kato poster is not in the original set, the number of the car, 4013 also appears in the text along with 1286 (the other extra car?), the photo also appears to be taken somewhere in Europe. Maybe they are doing a European version.

As far as I know, the 2006-3 is the Kato Roundhouse version with motor in the cab and no lights, the 2016-2 is a re-tooling with flywheel motor in the boiler, lighting and much more detail.

You are correct, I have both. I got the first with the set but when the 2016-2 came out I thought it was worth the upgrade. The 2006-3 will probably be painted plain black and put on display in a park somewhere on the layout.

Martijn Meerts

You are correct, I have both. I got the first with the set but when the 2016-2 came out I thought it was worth the upgrade. The 2006-3 will probably be painted plain black and put on display in a park somewhere on the layout.

Same here.. I got the 2006-3 before the 2016-2 came out, and even installed a decoder in the 2006-3.. It's not an ugly model, nor does it run bad, but it does lack a headlight, and of course the details aren't great compared to the 2016-2 .. I actually also have a MicroAce D51-498 (without the Orient Express lettering of course), so I'm not really sure what to do with all of them ;)

The 1286 is a baggage car, and afaik was not part of the set sent to japan.

http://ridb.info/eidb/bildanzeige/bildanzeige.php?Param=1|23211

Considering the current operator has enough cars to field 3 full sets with spares in case there is a maintenance or repair, then it would be interesting to see which set they are assembling. So far it looks like the one that was left in europe when some of the cars went to japan.

The 1286 is a baggage car, and afaik was not part of the set sent to japan.

http://ridb.info/eidb/bildanzeige/bildanzeige.php?Param=1|23211

Considering the current operator has enough cars to field 3 full sets with spares in case there is a maintenance or repair, then it would be interesting to see which set they are assembling. So far it looks like the one that was left in europe when some of the cars went to japan.

Were the cars that went to Japan in 1988 return to Europe or did they stay in Japan? If they did stay what happened to them?

The train crossed all of Europe and Asia from Paris to Hong Kong (quite a feat in itself and one that you almost never hear about) before being shipped to Japan, could they be modelling the consist at some other part of its journey?

To clear up things a little. The Kato release of the Orient Express this time will be the Paris - Hong Kong version. Departed from Gare du Lyon in Paris and arrived in Hong Kong before shipped to Japan.