Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

Orient Express sets now available to reserve on Hobby Search.  Their listing also has a small explaination for the 13/15 car issue.

Anything find it weird that Kato are offering the cars, but not the loco to pull it?

not any longer - sold out

Wow, THAT was quick. I have just read the info.

(I did not plan to buy the sets, I am just really surprised this very fast sold out status.)

Orient Express sets now available to reserve on Hobby Search.  Their listing also has a small explaination for the 13/15 car issue.

Anything find it weird that Kato are offering the cars, but not the loco to pull it?

What loco would they do out of all the countries from France to China that the train ran through?

I remember the same situation was with previous release of Orient express. I was lucky to order it from hs but it was the matter of hours or even minutes. This time I pre-order both e655 and Orient express from Nariichi san of Model Train Plus.

Different locomotives were used for each country. For germany, they used a br110, then each country used their own loco, including changing the whole set to wide bogies at the soviet border, back to normal at the other end, then to cape gauge after unloading in Japan.

• Like 1

Actually a Japanese Loco wouldn't be appropriate if the set represents the train as it traveled from Paris to Hong Kong.

Doesn't matter anyway, HS has closed reservations all ready.

• Like 1

I think the bogies should be checked first. If they are the standard gauge ones, then any european locomotive of that period used on mainlines are good. If they are the broad gauge ones, then i suggest soviet locomotives used on the asian part of the soviet network, usually large diesels. If the bogies are cape gauge, then it's not really prototypical. Imho kato has been tryting to serve the european market here, like they did with the various tgv and eurostar sets.

Btw: Is the set 1:150 or 1:160? Because if it's 1:150, then anything other than an english loco (1:148-1:150) would look slightly funny...

Are Kato making these sets for Lemke or whoever their distributor is in the EU? If so then these will be to 1/160 and not 1/150.

That may also explain why HS sold out so quickly.

Malcolm

Martijn Meerts

Fairly certain they're using the same tooling as for their previous versions with the exceptions of the additional/changed cars. Looking at the set I have, it might be possible they actually did the 2 Japanese conversion cars in 1:150, and the actual Orient Express cars in 1:160. The cars look perfectly fine being pulled by a Minitrix streamlined steamer on my father's layout at least.

The Kato EH500 is meant to be re-released in late March, but haven't seen no retailers doing pre-orders yet.  Anyone seen any?

I've shot HS an email regard this.  Kato website was updated 12/2/14 and it is scheduled for mid March re-release.

Guest keio6000

Happy banana dance!

s6i6Q.gif

modeltrainsplus now shows the Eidan 6000 now available from Kato!    Of course, the joy is a little bit less because these are also avaialble from MicroAce, but as good as the MA ones are, I suspect the Kato ones will be, as usual, just a little bit better, and also cheaper.  This is probably on my to-buy list as it's the Eidan version and right now i have the tokyo metro version from MicroAce.

If Kato was clever, they'd very quickly tool up an Eidan 8000 Hanzomon line version and sell this before MicroAce does theirs (serves MicroAce right for wasting time with the silly "Tozai line" version which server for all of 9 months).   Also, Kato should eventually do a "Fukutoshin line" (by which i mean brown/yellow stripe) 7000 version as the microace version is currently selling for crazy sums on yahoo jp (while the essentially idental yellow line yurakucho version, oddly, sells at a discount).

01-10-1143.jpg

I know my posts about Tokyo subway releases are often greeted with indifference here, but it's a bit of a shame - kato's subway releases in my view as a group rank - and I'm really serious about this - amongst the best N scale releases of anything, anywhere.   They're just amazingly good and at really good value, too.  hopefully it's making business sense for kato to put them out, as then number of potential customers familiar with the tokyo subway system must be massive, compared to some lonely 2-car JR emu.  

Edited by keio6000
  • Like 1

Whatever the page was mostly pink this morning.

I don't read Japanese.

I dont read Japanese either.  But your english seems alright.  So check their english site for what pink means.