Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

May be typical but I don't get their logic for making it so limited, I'm sure everyone who bought the E655 set would happily part with 3000 yen for one.

If the E655 gets reissued I expect a limited edition set at an inflated price.  Like the Series 0 retirement sets.

If the E655 gets reissued I expect a limited edition set at an inflated price.  Like the Series 0 retirement sets.

Doesn't really help all of us who already bought the E655 but that's the way Kato works, my brother would love the OHa 12 lounge car to add to his original Banetsu Monogatari set but Kato never made it available separately, only in complete new runs of the set, so he has had me searching second hand tables of hobby shops during my Japanese trips ever since. I expect the same will be true of the Banetsu Monogatari's new observation car if Kato make it so that anyone who wants to add it to their train will have to buy the whole train again.

The usual business is that when Kato releases a full train of a previously incomplete train set, the incomplete sets go on the 2nd hand market for dirt-cheap. It's not unusual to see train sets for only a few thousand yen on the shelves here -glad I have an exclusive taste though.

Like all model train manufacturers in Japan, they are only concerned with the local market and not with 'us' overseas modelers. It's an example of simple marketing strategy in Japan and you see it happen everywhere.

Then again, knowing Kato, I wouldn't be surprised if the Emperor's car will also be released in assembly parts sometime in the future. Local shops would probably assemble them and sell them at a total up-price.

Edited by Toni Babelony
Amtrak Store out of stock... :(

Amtrak received USA Amtrak Pacific Parlour Car, and if somebody want it, order it, very limited quantity

According to HS blog the Emporers car is:-

"This special vehicle single items,

It is limited release in high school model railroad contest venue to be held at Tokyo Big Sight on Saturday, August 23 (Friday) the 24th.

Please note that there's no known sale retail in general (model stores and mass merchandisers)."

Notice for all those who were interested in getting the imperial car made by Kato, released next weekend at the event in Big Sight: I won't be able to get it, due to sudden family urgencies. I'm sorry for the inconvenience... :(

Notice for all those who were interested in getting the imperial car made by Kato, released next weekend at the event in Big Sight: I won't be able to get it, due to sudden family urgencies. I'm sorry for the inconvenience... :(

I'm sorry to hear that Toni. I appreciate the intent though! Trains are just trains at the end of the day and family trumps them any time.

• Like 1

My contact managed to secure me one today, and I was told it was an absolute ordeal.  He lined up well before opening time and only just managed to get it, and was even assaulted by some otaku in the process.  :icon_pale: I feel really bad now.  Toni, you were probably lucky you didn't go.

• Like 1

Whew! I guess a ride in a Japanese ambulance sure beats that thrill (don't worry it's not that bad. It's just the Japanese way of dealing with things) :)

Glad I didn't go after all...

and was even assaulted by some otaku in the process.  :icon_pale:

I didn't know there were train otaku behaving like that, but I guess there's a few here and there considering they're also amongst other otaku's.

Toni,

hope the family is doing well. imperial cars are nothing in the scheme of things compared to family (unless you are an true otaku i guess).

best wishes to all there.

jeff

• Like 2

I'd love to have one but probably not that much.

I hope it makes Kato see how wanted they are and run some more.

I didn't know there were train otaku behaving like that, but I guess there's a few here and there considering they're also amongst other otaku's.

Hhmm.. sounds alarming to me too. I'm thinking the japanese are known to be courteous people and seeing them behaving like this does set me back a little... Then again, if it's pure Otaku passion, it's understandable... However, if it's more for commercial purposes, like grabbing these sets to resell them later at a profit, now that is BAD. We hate these scaplers (we call them, buying at sale and depriving true fans of their stuff only to sell them later at profits) when we were into Lego during the Lego clearance sales and it was so bad we had to argue and quarrel with them, and ended up feeling sore although we got our sets at wonderful prices...

@ Toni - Hope all is well with your family. Take care bro ~~

• Like 1

I don't think it's really alarming, I already vaguely remember something concerning train otaku but true die-hard otaku can't be compared to anything else I think. But maybe I'll have to leave this to the Japan experts or just at this.

Now that we're talking about Toni's family, I just saw your sister again today Toni! Lol.

Now that we're talking about Toni's family, I just saw your sister again today Toni! Lol.

Lol. I hope you was gifted beer. :D

Also, thanks for the support, but let's not move off topic too much.

I don't really get what JR East wants to achieve by making the coach be able to run between other EMU's, there's a reason why they've built the E655!

• Like 1

I used my brain for once and realised this isn't the first imperial carriage to be able to fit in between different sets. There was also the 157 Series' KURO 157-1 carriage that usually ran with the 157 and 185 Series (depending on era).

kuro157.jpg

simg523_1.jpg

• Like 2

Actually in that era there were two Imperial trains right? The old coaches that were pulled by the DD51 and this one.

too bad they just did not go ahead and release it in general. this sort of event thing is just asking for trouble like this. easy to see how gags like this can turn good exposure very bad...

wonder if they will have a rush on the store now to get the forms!

jeff

google translation:

Cato Corporation
And apologize for the 2013 specialty item sales model railroad contest ,
The guidance for the purchase of " special vehicle "
Put Between the 24th August 23, 2013 , was held in the " model railroad contest 2013 " venue
Above all , when I was allowed to sell a specialty item (N gauge special vehicle ) from our company , product preparation
Lack of numbers, and we apologize for the inconvenience due to clumsiness of customer service .
I would apologize again here .
For Customers were that I was not able to purchase a " special vehicle " that day , and sales venue of the sale after the end of
At the corner sales , the " model railroad contest 2013 " admission ticket back , your contacts , and rare
Simply fill in the desired and the number of purchases , I was allowed to keep it as a provisional application .
The people this , you can send the guide of product re- sale time in return postcard at a later date , and your formal again
After having had an order , you are preparing to be able to purchase the reproduction minutes .
However after that were not available for purchase on the day , also apply for provisional admission ticket information does not reach
It is expected that customers who could not do with or come . By the customer to be appropriate " special vehicle "
If you would like to purchase , there is trouble , but please apply in the following manner .
■ How to apply
( You are an admission a student ID card copy of student ID ) on the back of the admission ticket , which is the day of use
Please fill in and send it to our ( sealed letter ) mail the following items . Or , Hobi
Please bring to both store over center Cato Tokyo / Osaka .
Acceptance deadline (Friday ) day postmark minutes September 13 , September 16, the shop up ( Mon ) accepted on
I will
( Up to 5 up to two per person ) ① ② Name Zip / address ③ ④ phone number you wish to purchase the number of
〒 161-0031 Tokyo , Shinjuku-ku, Nishiochiai 1-24-10 : Apply at the mailing
Cato Corporation " special vehicle " factor
( Excluding weekends and public holidays , 13:00 to 17:00 and 10:00 to 12:00 ) phone 03-3954-2503
You sign up by over-the-counter bring
· Hobby Center Kato Tokyo ( phone 03-3954-2171 ) 10:00 to 19:00
· Hobby Center Kato Osaka ( phone 06-6339-6171 ) 10:00 to 19:00
■ How to buy
After the arrival of the application form , we will send you order announcements Payment in return postcard .
After designation , order number , a formal contacts Payment towards the Duplex postcard by 30 September
Fill out , please return to us .
The " Oshin " postcard is required in the case of taking over-the-counter in the Hobby Center Kato
So thank you to keep it in a safe place .
■ About sending your payment , the goods
Payment is as follows .
( Shipping Company is a burden , but the delivery charge of the case did you choose COD , and borne by the customer
Will )
① postal transfer
After signing up , please payment to account of post office listed in return postcard .
After payment is confirmed, we will ship the item sequentially from the end of September .
※ I am very sorry, but your transfer fee will be borne by the customer .
② cash on delivery
Cash on delivery : After signing up , sequential commodity from the end of September . The deliveryman at the time of receipt
Please pay .
※ I am very sorry, but cash-on-delivery fee will be borne by the customer .
The payment by the Hobby Center ③ over-the-counter
We plan to apply after , ( purchase ) able to get receipt at store on Saturday after the 5th October .
As the voucher with your application, you have always , round-trip postcard from our " Oshin "
Please .
※ I am so sorry , I will consider it as ( Thursday) October 31 deadline to receive it.
● even the purchase of any method , is one ¥ 3,000 including tax .
Or more , I would hasten to inform .