Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

i dont have any pictures but, just got the Catalog of Kato 2013 and 2 things surprise me:

- N700A in N Gauge dont have any code number or price yet (i always thought Tomix will do this set but came out Kato will release, when i dont know)

- and HO E5 3-515 4 Cars set i think this include the motor car, no price yet

3-516 2 Cars set

3-517 4 Cars set

I also think the colour is a bit weird, but I'm not sure what's wrong. I think it's missing the glossy part.

(also look at the JR staff waving at the kids! I haven't seen that in a video yet)

Martijn Meerts

Looks like they either didn't get the pearlescent effect working on the model, or the lighting in the pictures is just terrible.

With a pearlescent effect like that it's foing to really depend on the color of the light and how the camera was color balanced. Also color and effects like pearlescence don't always scale well. The effect of a color on your eye in a tiny thing can be very different than in a large thing.

Philip said mr kato said they took great pains to try and get the color and effect right.

Jeff

Hobby Search's photos look better. I'm guessing it's going to be one of those things you'll have to see with your own eyes to appreciate.

Mudkip Orange

Hobby Search's photos look better. I'm guessing it's going to be one of those things you'll have to see with your own eyes to appreciate.

Well it's fragging sold out *already*. Get the HS newsletter at 8:05am and 10:35am, it's gone.

It probably sold out with preorders.  I think it's a safe bet that they'll do a re-run in a few months.  Although it did take Kato a year to re-run the DE10 (I counted every one of those months).

Hopefully more in the distribution channels as well. kato seems to not sell out just on preorders most of the time like ma will.

im wondering if a coat of futura acrylic floor polish will give it that pearlescent pop. was thinking of trying this on the rapit to give it some gloss pop thats on the prototype. but again this kind of effect just does not scale well i think. from 225 feet (18" from the model) the prototype probably looks just a reddish brown with no pearlescence and probably not a lot of shine.

that sort of effect also requires multiple layers of paint go down. i did it on my 64 vw bug and it was about 8 layers with 4 different paints. came out wonderful as a deep blue that had light and dark bits as well as some sparkles in the center clear coat that floated a bit. was trying to make it look like a ctenophore (vw shape is very much like a ctenophore) and its license plate was CTENO4 as well. it took three days in a friends garage paint booth to do.

jeff

Well it's fragging sold out *already*. Get the HS newsletter at 8:05am and 10:35am, it's gone.

I pre-ordered. I got the email to say it had arrived but nothing yet to say it had been posted, probably too late in the day on Friday so may be sent Monday.

I stupidly forgot to pre order this! Could have saved $30! Just got it from fmmodels, like $10 cheaper than hs, so worth a try!

Jeff

Actually just looked at the invoice and it was only 14,080 (more like $20 cheaper than hs) and 1080 for sal shipping. HS step over maybe... Jr

Martijn Meerts

HS pictures still make it look like it's just standard brown, and no pearlescent effect at all. I guess I'll wait until some of you get it and comment on the colour. I'll then get the re-release (or not ;))

Ochanomizu,

Do you know of any doing overseas sales? Right now we have been down to mainly hobbysearch, poppodetta, mokei big man, and fmmodels.

Jeff

Yes, many shops offer Y14,080 for the E655.

25% off is common.  Some shops are 30% off, but these are usually mail order and pre-sale only.

25% off is common.  Some shops are 30% off, but these are usually mail order and pre-sale only.

me soon.

I really want this one too but i can't buy atm lol

maybe i will buy off my self lol.

So was it confirmed the extra car is not going to be available?

me soon.

Not at this moment in time, so it may be a long waiting list when they do get approval from the royal family of Japan.

This summer mr kato told one of our club members at jam they were not able to get the license for the emperior's car from the emperial house. From what Philip said it was not just a temporary setback. Maybe in the future they will relent.

I think the only difference is a larger central window and the gold emperior's lotus seal at the center of the car. So no that hard to roll your own...

Jeff

Ochanomizu,

Do you know of any doing overseas sales? Right now we have been down to mainly hobbysearch, poppodetta, mokei big man, and fmmodels.

Jeff

I'm sorry, I do not know.  Sometimes Liberty has 40% off, but they do not provide tax free or international order.

fair enough. i guess by the time i'm allowed to buy models again it will be out LOL

Been very busy lately preparing for the move. It's also very expensive to move a whole family LOL.

hopefully though with support of a big and great community my biz can take off. Sick of us foreigners being ripped off.

Back to the E6 i'm definately making sure i get one of them, will go nicely with the E5 plus the son wants it hehe so i can hopefully pass it with the wife :D

me soon.

Mr cteno4, here is your answer.  Mr keitaro will open a shop this year for international order.  I wait for his website.

Also, the licence for the Emperor's car may not granted before the car is retired from service.

Also, the licence for the Emperor's car may not granted before the car is retired from service.

that could quite possibly be true makes sense they wouldn't want the current one done till it's been replaced.

Maybe you could compare it to that where I live the palaces of the royal family are censored on google maps, to prevent any bad things that may happen.

that could quite possibly be true makes sense they wouldn't want the current one done till it's been replaced.

Didn't seem to stop the previous one being marketed.

Angus