Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

Easy way to do crossovers on T-TRAK modules. :grin

Well, yeah. On the 33mm distance (USA alternative) it'll work fine. On 25mm ones (Original dimensions), not so much. Nice addition though from KATO.

Now, if they would only release small-radius turnouts, then I'm seriously going to consider trading all my Tomix track for KATO.

This was in the 'coming in 2012' pages of the most recent catalog, I can't find the catalog at the moment but I think all that's left to come is the turntable.

I have the catalog lying beside me, and you're right! I hadn't really looked into it much so far.

Well, yeah. On the 33mm distance (USA alternative) it'll work fine. On 25mm ones (Original dimensions), not so much. Nice addition though from KATO.

Yeah, it would be nice if they could make these for the Unitram system as well with smaller radius. So far it looks like a couple of R418 turnouts put together but cheaper than buying two separately. I hope it's possible to switch them one at a time rather than what the double crossing turnout does, but it seems so if I look at the picture.

The text in the catalog also says that it is meant for the V11, V14, V16 sets, hence the (partly) concrete sleepers.

Now, if they would only release small-radius turnouts, then I'm seriously going to consider trading all my Tomix track for KATO.

In that case, prepare your wallet, because on the catalog page is (beside the new turnout I mentioned, the Unitram turnouts and the turntable), R150mm turnouts as well! They will also make some variation sets with those switches according to the catalog.

The Australian T-TRAK standards call for 33mm track spacing, so it's perfect for us. :grin

Martijn Meerts

I have to say, I prefer the looks of the Tomix track, but the Unitram stuff definitely beats the Tomix tram track. I was close to ordering a unitram starter set not long ago, but then figured I really don't need it just yet (and went for the spirited away bath house kit instead =))

Reminds me though, I need to put in an order for some unitrack for the modules.. Just in case I manage to get some days off from work soon-ish :)

In that case, prepare your wallet, because on the catalog page is (beside the new turnout I mentioned, the Unitram turnouts and the turntable), R150mm turnouts as well! They will also make some variation sets with those switches according to the catalog.

HNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG~!!!!1 YYEEEEAAA! That means I leave my Tomix track at home and buy KATO when I move to Japan :3 I like the sturdyness of KATO track much much better than the rather flimsy connections on the Tomix track. The only thing holding me back when I started to buy Tomix track from KATO was the variety of switches and radii. Now all has changed.

IMO Tomix track still has the advantage of the double slip turnout, the metal frog on turnouts, and that the sleepers are more realistically placed rather (two sleepers are next to eachother with Unitrack at each end of a track piece). I do dislike Tomix's feeder track system however, it looks awful. Apart from that I don't think there's anything wrong with either systems, but I haven't touched any Fine Track in my life yet so I can't be completely sure.

Btw, the article numbers are 20-410, 20-241 for the turnouts and 20-891 and 20-892 for the sets.

Martijn Meerts

2 sleepers next to each other is actually prototypical. Before track was welded together, they'd add a double sleeper at the rail ends. Only when they started welding the double sleeper wasn't really necessary anymore. So, unless you solder your track together, you really should have a double sleeper =)  I do think it looks strange though, especially when using lots of smaller bits of track, there'll be too many double sleepers.

The small radius turnouts is sort of what held me back as well with regards to Unitram, but with all the new stuff coming up, it's a no-brainer to go with Unitram.

Tomix still has the advantage of single tram track. Kato forces you to do either double track or make the road surface yourself, not too much of a hassle but for temporary layouts it's the critical point. And Tomix has 103mm radius curves as well, for people who want very narrow curves.

I think it depends completely on the situation though, in some cases you can go with either and others a certain system. For T-Trak modules I prefer Kato but with a small non-modular layout I think I could go with either depending on the radii and turnouts I want to use.

@Martijn (on the sleepers)

I had no idea about that, I have seen double sleepers a couple of times in 1:1 but not often, mainly with turnouts. But you already said what I wanted to about it looking weird.

Well, for a serious layout, I won't be using neither Tomix nor KATO, but Peco track. With Peco track, you have to ballast the whole thing yourself, which I hate, but the result is so much more satisfying, plus you have tons of flexibility with it as well. A downside, next to ballasting is having to plan everything prior to building. However, having a trackbed of cork (which is how the underbuilt usually made with trackbedless rails) reduces running sounds, which is also very nice on a larger layout.

Anyone seen this?

http://ngi.blog.eonet.jp/n_gauge/2012/10/kato201252-56c2.html

Looks like a new Unitrack turnout is coming, seems like two R418 turnouts in one.

Are you sure these are not "#6" (718mm) turnouts? Look at the frogs. It would be like the Unitrack double crossover, but with the second crossover (and the crossing in the middle) omitted. After all, you can do this now with two 481mm radius "#4" turnouts and some straight pieces, so a "#4" version wouldn't really be offering anything very new.

I am glad to see they are offering both left and right versions.

Rich K.

they do look like #6s in form. they may have just done the cut back to get them on 33mm spacing and proper curves to make it all smooth. very nice for ttrakers!

jeff

Guest Closed Account 1

Kato 700T has fallen off the release schedule.

Maybe released another time.

My preorder got calceled.

The release schedule is suddenly canceled,  according to the manufacturer.

-----------------------------

KATO

10-1162 台湾新幹線 700T 4両基本セット 

10-1163 台湾新幹線 700T 4両増結セットA

10-1164 台湾新幹線 700T 4両増結セットB

Guest Closed Account 1

http://www.katomodels.com/distribution/schedule.shtml

■ お知らせ/更新情報 ■

[New] ※ 『台湾新幹線 700T 各種セット』(品番:10-1162~1164)につきまして、諸般の事情により、生産を当面の間、延期させていただきます。申し訳ございません。

■ Updates / News ■

"Taiwan High Speed ​​Rail 700T various sets" [New] ※ For the (10-Item 1162-1164), due to various reasons, for the time being, we will postpone the production. I am sorry.

I found some pictures of the new R150 turnout, it's unfortunate that the it's a really large degree:

http://blog.miyakomokei.com/?p=3893

Also a clearer picture of the double track turnout which seems to have really sleek curves. The frog of both turnouts is black like the new version of the R481 turnouts, that was discussed here

It's hard to tell from a photo, but the black frog on those R150 switches looks more like the dark black of the plastic Wye frog than the blackened metal of the #4 frog.

The 20-231 #4 one-way crossover looks like some kind of kitbash hobbyist project with the different colors, it's very different from Kato's usual approach.  I think it's more realistic (wood ties are often used on switches with otherwise concrete-tie tracks, although I didn't know if was common in Japan). It appears to have the blackened-metal frog.

I'd be worried about using it with long cars due to the #4 curvature, but it's nice to see Kato doing something like this for the short-wheelbase equipment.

The 20-231 #4 one-way crossover looks like some kind of kitbash hobbyist project with the different colors, it's very different from Kato's usual approach.  I think it's more realistic (wood ties are often used on switches with otherwise concrete-tie tracks, although I didn't know if was common in Japan).

I guess those brown ties represent ties made of FFU.

• Like 3

It's hard to tell from a photo, but the black frog on those R150 switches looks more like the dark black of the plastic Wye frog than the blackened metal of the #4 frog.

The 20-231 #4 one-way crossover looks like some kind of kitbash hobbyist project with the different colors, it's very different from Kato's usual approach.  I think it's more realistic (wood ties are often used on switches with otherwise concrete-tie tracks, although I didn't know if was common in Japan). It appears to have the blackened-metal frog.

I'd be worried about using it with long cars due to the #4 curvature, but it's nice to see Kato doing something like this for the short-wheelbase equipment.

I have a couple of crossovers made with regular No.4 turnouts on my T-TRAK modules and run full length US passenger cars and piggyback cars through them.

I was looking forward to the R150 turnout but its geometry is very unfortunate, it will severly limit its use in tight situations tram depots and industrial areas. The small radius Tomix turnout is much more versatile.

Guest Closed Account 1

Anyone seen this?

http://ngi.blog.eonet.jp/n_gauge/2012/10/kato201252-56c2.html

Looks like a new Unitrack turnout is coming, seems like two R418 turnouts in one.

Kato 20-230 and 20-231.

I'm actually planning something like this already except was going to use a #6 switch and shorten a 248mm single concrete sleeper straight (20875) down to 186mm to match the #6 switch.  Then fill in the gap with sifted sand to blend into the scene. The sand will look like it settled there with vegetation growing.

I could take a 186mm double track piece (20012), slice it down the middle and use it next to the switch. It'll use less sand and won't hinder the switch lever.

Guest Closed Account 1

I was looking forward to the R150 turnout but its geometry is very unfortunate, it will severly limit its use in tight situations tram depots and industrial areas. The small radius Tomix turnout is much more versatile.

Anything 216mm radius (Kato 20170) and tighter is only for Trams and pocket trains, 0-4-0.  315mm is pretty much the recommended minimum for trains today.

Anything 216mm radius (Kato 20170) and tighter is only for Trams and pocket trains, 0-4-0.  315mm is pretty much the recommended minimum for trains today.

What I was not refering the radius but rather the curved leg of the turnout curving through 45 degrees making it pretty usless for a lot of applications. 121017-13.jpg

I find it pretty mindless of Kato to make it like that.

But think of the half union junction you could make for your streetcars! Perfect also for complex industrial trackage.