Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

I prefer the 700t over a n700 livery much better but yeah it has n700 written all over it just like China's hsr is a direct rip of the 800 tsubame

Which btw Jr allowed china to use

Which one is a 800 rip-off?

I only know that the CRH2 is an E2 rip-off and that there are many trains that are rip-offs from other high speed trains. The rip-offs have much better design than the recent self-designed CRH380A trains.

• Like 1
Guest Closed Account 1

Unless I run into another Bullet fan, no one will know which Shinkansen im running. That's why I'm slowly building a postcard type sign to show the crowd what's running.

Is the structure pictured in the Kato subway poster a concept or a soon to be released item.

thats a poster for the show kato will be at, not a kato poster. im guessing this is from someone's custom model display, not a kato prototype.

jeff

Anyway, I'm sticking with Japanese trains

Exactly. The 700T (it can't be coincidence that it is called like that considering the naming in Japan right?) is pretty nice, but I'm not doing such prototypically impossible things again. Kinda stupid that they aren't releasing it outside Japan, not even in Taiwan itself?

And great that Kato is trying to get a larger public by making worldwide trains. The Rhätische Bahn is pretty nice, but I don't get the gauge thing very well. The model's axis is still much too wide right? Z gauge is about the right gauge for ~1m in prototype if I'm right.

Z gauge is more correct for Japan's 3'6" gauge as well in 1/160 N scale (scales out to 3'4") which is why Japnese N scale is 1/150 to bring N gauge track a bit closer to scale. There doesn't seem to be any mention on the poster about what scale the RHB train will be, if it's 1/150 they might alienate potential European customers like Minitrix did years ago by doing British models in 1/160 instead of the British 1/148. Kato's class 66 BTW is 1/160 for the European market despite the fact they would probably sell a ship load in the UK if they were 1/148.

I prefer the 700t over a n700 livery much better but yeah it has n700 written all over it just like China's hsr is a direct rip of the 800 tsubame

Which btw Jr allowed china to use

Which one is a 800 rip-off?

I only know that the CRH2 is an E2 rip-off and that there are many trains that are rip-offs from other high speed trains. The rip-offs have much better design than the recent self-designed CRH380A trains.

The pendolino based rip off of an 800 series sorry then ripped into a Chinese version lol

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:China_Railways_CRH5_at_Qinhuangdao_Railway_Station_20090810.jpg

Don't tell me this doesn't look like a design rip from the 800

Besides the slight variation in cab view being lower and less windows that thing is a design rip.

Also the I read a jp article about the new Chinese hsr designed using shinkansen patents from Hitachi.

Even though they claim entirely their own...

Well, I'll tell it to you: "it doesn't look like a design rip from the 800 series".

At the same time, train design is quite limited and there is not thousands of ways to draw a high speed train nose.

The CRH5 is a China based version of the ETR600 by Alstom Ferroviara. Actually, I don't think any of the Chinese high speed trains are "rip-offs" since all them were export version for China of existing rolling-stock and they were all legally bought and produced. CRH1 to 5 are no copies even if some of the train sets were produced in China after agreed technology transfer.

CRH380 is a different story since it was developed by Chinese based on technologies acquired during the CRH1 to 5 programs.

700T is 700 body with 500 system.

This re-release should be Japanese version in Kato box and Japanese manual. Not sure if they will use new tooling, but the 1st version (THSR) is kind of old. No dcc Slot and no flywheel.

Orient express also had export limitation,  but it was lift before release. 700T maybe the same.

Guest Closed Account 1

Nice!  They made this a limited edition 700 before exporting it.

• The THSR 700T series is based on the 700 Series Shinkansen operated by JR Central and JR West on the Tōkaidō Shinkansen and Sanyo Shinkansen in Japan.[br][br]
  • However, more powerful motors and eddy current brakes on trailers provide for the higher top speed.[br][br]
  • Also for 300 km/h (186 mph) operation, a number of features were derived from the 500 Series Shinkansen, such as the bogies, or the T-shaped and aerodynamically optimised pantographs for reduced noise emission[6] atop cars 4 and 9.[br][br]
  • The D-ATC (Digital Automatic Train Control) system was in turn derived from that of the 800 Series Shinkansen.[br][br]
  • Like the 700 Series Shinkansen, a 700T trainset is made of 4-car sub-sets, each with three motor cars and one trailer,[2] albeit a full train is a 12-car set, rather than a 16-car, or 8-car set.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/THSR_700T#Technical_details

Kato Dr Yellow (10896&7) is DCC friendly.

Comes with trap doors in the end and motor cars to install DCC decoders. Roof mounted Spot Lights to Inspect the overhead cables from cars #2 (motor) and #6. Then you need to install interior lights to take advantage of the other roof mounted spot lights. Definitely these will be my first cars to install the newer interior lights for maximum illumination.

In the first pic you can see the spot lights behind each pantograph. The second the factory installed interior light with forward support posts. No more bouncing to cause flickering. All the cars have these support posts. Very cool.

post-436-13569931052655_thumb.jpg

post-436-13569931053653_thumb.jpg

Nice!  They made this a limited edition 700 before exporting it.

• The THSR 700T series is based on the 700 Series Shinkansen operated by JR Central and JR West on the Tōkaidō Shinkansen and Sanyo Shinkansen in Japan.[br][br]
  • However, more powerful motors and eddy current brakes on trailers provide for the higher top speed.[br][br]
  • Also for 300 km/h (186 mph) operation, a number of features were derived from the 500 Series Shinkansen, such as the bogies, or the T-shaped and aerodynamically optimised pantographs for reduced noise emission[6] atop cars 4 and 9.[br][br]
  • The D-ATC (Digital Automatic Train Control) system was in turn derived from that of the 800 Series Shinkansen.[br][br]
  • Like the 700 Series Shinkansen, a 700T trainset is made of 4-car sub-sets, each with three motor cars and one trailer,[2] albeit a full train is a 12-car set, rather than a 16-car, or 8-car set.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/THSR_700T#Technical_details

Does it come in black?

Cheers

The_Ghan

That's why some people(Taiwan) said it's a testing train before they upgrade N700 to 300km/hr..........lol

BTW, THSR also order 4 more 700T sets this year.

I'm really debating on getting the new Dr. Yellow... Looks so cool... Should I?!

Go for it they are really nice looking trains. They are the most requested train to run out of the yard on the club show layout by the public. My old tomix dr yellow is just about worn out from all the laps over the last 7years or so, so I recently picked up the tomix re-release with the all wheel pickup. Now I have to light it like the kato!

Jeff

mwsteel,

Webskipper is selling one in the Classifieds section.  He accidently bought two ... as I did with a Tomix release earlier in the year.  I can vouch for Skip if you want to pick one up in the States and avoid international freight.  Skip has received two Ebay purchases on my behalf and forwarded them on to me after testing.  He also bought my extra Tomix Dr Yellow about 6 months ago.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Thanks for the Ref Ghan, I live in Canada, so I would still need to pay taxes and stuff at the border. Popondetta has both sets for about 224US, plus shipping so depending on how much they charge for shipping I'll probably buy from them.

And make sure to flick off the little one dressed in white on the other shoulder before it can open its mouth!

Jeff

Once I get how much it will be for shipping I'm ordering it!

Also, I found this on Katos' USA website, not sure if it's been posted yet...:

Coming Soon 40-031 UNITRAM Street Track Straight 62mm (2 7/16") [2 pcs]

Includes:

UNITRAM Track Plates - 2 x 62mm Straight Track Pieces.

UNITRAM Accessory Kit - 4 x Street Track connectors

$15.00

Coming Soon 40-101 UNITRAM Street Track Curve R180mm-45º Left [1 pc]

Includes:

UNITRAM Track Plates - 1 x R180mm-45º Left Curve piece.

UNITRAM Road Plates - 1 x Center Plate with intersection

UNITRAM Accessory Kit - Catenary pole set, street dividers, 3 x Street track connectors, 2 x Road plate connectors

$12.00

Coming Soon 40-102 UNITRAM Street Track Curve R180mm-45º Right [1 pc]

Includes:

UNITRAM Track Plates - 1 x R180mm-45º Right Curve piece.

UNITRAM Road Plates - 1 x Center Plate with intersection

UNITRAM Accessory Kit - Catenary pole set, street dividers, 3 x Street track connectors, 2 x Road plate connectors

$12.00

Coming Soon 40-210 UNITRAM Street Track Electric Turnout R180mm Left [1 pc]

Includes:

UNITRAM Track Plates - 1 x Electric Turnout R180mm Left

UNITRAM Accessory Kit - 3 x Street track connectors, 1 x Turnout switch cable

$65.00

Coming Soon 40-211 UNITRAM Street Track Electric Turnout R180mm Right [1 pc]

Includes:

UNITRAM Track Plates - 1 x Electric Turnout R180mm Right

UNITRAM Accessory Kit - 3 x Street track connectors, 1 x Turnout switch cable

$65.00

Coming Soon 40-300 UNITRAM Street Track 62mm 90º Crossing Section [1pc]

Includes:

UNITRAM Track Plates - 1 x 62mm 90º Crossing Section

$12.50

Coming Soon 41-100 UNITRAM Quarter Circle Inner Road Plate [1pc]

Includes:

UNITRAM Road Plates - 1 x Quarter Circle Inner Road Plate

UNITRAM Accessory Kit - 4 x Road plate connectors

$15.50

Lots of new Unitram!

http://www.katousa.com/N/Unitrack/UNITRAM.html

Guest Closed Account 1

Looks like a couple of Athearn Big Boys or Challengers thrown in there for extra muscle.

Can one determine the size by the letter number name? D51 or C62, etc.

Probably a topic for a separate thread.

List all the Steam by size.

Skip,

The letter at the front of the Japanese Loco class indicates the number of drive wheels, where A = 1 through to E = 5.  Thus, by Japanese standards, our 2-6-2, 4-6-2 and 2-6-0 locos would all be designated "C".  A 2-8-2 or 4-8-2 would be designated "D", and a 2-10-0 would be "E".

As a general rule driving wheels get smaller in size as the number of drive wheels increases, but there are many exceptions to this.  The number of drive wheels might affect speed and traction, but does not necessarily mean a loco is larger or has more tractive effort.  There are a number of other factors to consider in that regard.

Hope that answers your question.

Cheers

The_Ghan