Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

The_Ghan,

I've got the MA 200-1500, 25th Anniversary Set, A1596/7.  I think it is K47, right?

Yes that's correct, It's K47 (originally delivered in 1984 as F13).

I've also got a 16-car Tomix set, 92625, 2824, 3x2825, 4x2826, and 2x2830.  I'm not sure of the consist number but I think it is a H set.

That would be an H formation indeed. Specifically H3 or H4 as those where the only H formations (6 where formed, H1~H6) with 200系2000番台 221/222 types (2000番台 and 200番台 where only available as type 221 and 222, the rest of the H formation cars (with exception of the 248/249 double deck cars, build in 1990~1991) where modified 0番台 (modified to 1000/1500番台 specifications(former E formation cars)) and an odd 1000/1500番台 (former F formation cars). There where only two 200系2000番台 221/222 pairs build in 1987 (F52 and F58 formations). Eight 200系200番台 221/222 combos where delivered between 1987~1991. The difference between the 2000番台 and 200番台, is that the 200番台 where rebuild (surplus) 0番台 225/226 cars (updated to 1000/1500番台 specifications, and the 100系 style "Shark Nose" being placed). 4 of the 8 pairs where used for H formations (H1,H2,H5 and H6), and the remaining 4 where used in F formations (F5,F8,F40 and F43).

Is the new Kato set 10-1156/7 a G set?  If so, I may consider.

It's an E formation (12 cars, 200系0番台, 210km/h max), or the original 200系 formations around during the opening year of the Tohoku/Joetsu shinkansen (1982). the E formations where made up entirely of 0番台 cars, 36 formations where delivered (E1~E36) between 1980 and late 1982 before production switched to the improved 1000番台 (240km/h, 25kv roof cable) in 1983 (F formations, the first 3 would originally have been E formations). The E formations where retired by JR East between 1987~1993. They weren't scrapped at that moment however, their surplus cars where reformed into G formations (8 later 10 cars), rebuild to 1000/1500番台 specifications and used in the formation of other formations (selected F/K and all H formations), or rebuild into 200番台 cars.

to make a long story short, no Kato's 200系 isn't a G formation, however it could be used (as far as I see) to form a G formation (both 8 and 10 car variants) without too much hassle. The G formations where all former E formations anyway, and except for the standard 200系 modifications JR East did in the 90's (deflectors around the pantographs, replacement of the split cab side windows with a single window) they are unmodified 0番台 cars. If you're a number guy though Kato would have to make one of the following formations:

E4/E7/E8/E10/E12/E13/E18/E19/E20~E24/E26/E27 and E29.

Anyway, I hope this answers your question :cool:.

In celebration of the Olympics in London, what I don't understand is why Kato is releasing just the Eurostar basic set without the add on again?

Looks like Hornby has 2012 Olympic license. Cool sets, just OO gauge. hornby.com/shop/london-2012-range/hornby-train-sets-and-train-packs/

Oh here's a Kato Olympic Hiawatha:

http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?120088-Kato-announces-release-of-Olympian-Hiawatha-passenger-train

About the Kato Olympic Hiawatha, that was an April Fool's Joke on the other forum...but never say never  :toothy9:

Guest Closed Account 1

In celebration of the Olympics in London, what I don't understand is why Kato is releasing just the Eurostar basic set without the add on again?

Looks like Hornby has 2012 Olympic license. Cool sets, just OO gauge. hornby.com/shop/london-2012-range/hornby-train-sets-and-train-packs/

Oh here's a Kato Olympic Hiawatha:

http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?120088-Kato-announces-release-of-Olympian-Hiawatha-passenger-train

About the Kato Olympic Hiawatha, that was an April Fool's Joke on the other forum...but never say never  :toothy9:

Yeah I know it was a joke. Took a while for someone to notice.

Kato are well known not to put ddc friendly on their site when it is dcc friendly. I guess we have to wait and see.

Couplers 11-704

Pantograph 11-420

LED interior lights 11-212

Obviously you are not understanding my statement.

I am merely saying kato is known not to include dcc functionality on their site or description when it is dcc friendly so there is still a really good chance it is dcc friendly.

since recent new releases have included dcc and not mentioned on the site that it does have the functionality.

e.g. http://www.katomodels.com/product/nmi/e5kei.shtml

no mention but it does have dcc friendly

i could list many others too.

I always take the DCC symbol in the Kato catalog as just showing models that take Kato's EM13 and/or FL12 decoders. They don't mention models that accept other decoders.

I always take the DCC symbol in the Kato catalog as just showing models that take Kato's EM13 and/or FL12 decoders. They don't mention models that accept other decoders.

Yeah, but as Keitaro said, they never put that info on the website description, which means that in general web-based stores don't include it, so if you don't have the catalog (or if it's a new model not in the catalog) then you're left guessing.

And sometimes even new models lack DCC support (witness the very narrow subway train of last fall, which could take cab decoders but not the EM13).

Yeah, but as Keitaro said, they never put that info on the website description, which means that in general web-based stores don't include it, so if you don't have the catalog (or if it's a new model not in the catalog) then you're left guessing.

And sometimes even new models lack DCC support (witness the very narrow subway train of last fall, which could take cab decoders but not the EM13).

I see what you mean now.

ken you are reffering to the ginza 01 ?

If you look at the motor car it is tru it cannot for the decoder but kato left thin cuts on the plastic side of the passenger floor right next to the motor prongs so it easy to wire.

• Like 1

@Toni

I noticed the same a few days ago, but I decided to make a conclusion when they are released or more pictures are available, since you never know.

The_Ghan,

Thanks for the compliment, appreciate it.

Now back to the 200系;

I've done some digging around on the Kato site, and while Kato hasn't provided any information about the car numbers on the main page, I did find their numbers in the Assy-parts pdf file. I'm not 100% positive this information is final, so please don't hold it against me if it turns out incorrect.

The numbers indicate that this set will most likely be E7 formation. E7 was delivered on the 20th of February 1981 (Shōwa 56) by Hitachi, it was one of the 30~33 (not 100% certain) formations delivered before the opening of the Tōhoku Shinkansen on the 23rd of June 1982 (Shōwa 57), she was delivered to the Sendai Shinkansen vehicle center.  She served in this composition until somewhere in 1989 when she was split up between G41 formation (8 cars) and H1 formation (1 car), what happened to the other cars I'm not certain (couldn't find any info on this) so they where probably scrapped.

G41 Formation was formed somewhere in 1989, and was reassigned to the Niigata Shinkansen vehicle center. She was scrapped on the 7th of January 1999 at Sendai, after almost 18 years of service.

So to answer the original question, while it isn't a G formation, the Kato can be used to form a prototypicaly correct G formation, you just need to place them in the following order: 221->226->225-400(?)->226->215->226->237->222. If you want to go all the way you'd have to add JR transfers, A one piece cab-side window and pantograph deflectors, but that might be a bit much.

Another interesting thing I found in the Assy PDF file, is that the drive shaft is the same part as used on the Kato 100/500/700 and 800, so in all likelihood the drive system will be updated as well.

CaptOblivious

200系, nice investigative work! Too bad this model doesn't fit into my era (21st century).

jappomania

I'm wondering which of the E formations they'll reproduce (I personally hope for E30, although E1 would be nice too), does anyone know which formation the old set was based on?

the old set S4070/S4071 and 10-129 don't rapresent one particular E set from E1 to E36, you don't find car number decals inside the box and also is not factory printed on body.

Maybe can be also F1 to F3 (1000 subseries originally planned to be E37 to E39, the body is the same)

The new improved version is similar to 0系 10453/4, only the pantograph will be changed and cars will be factory painted with cars number (if you have the 200 single head car museum version you can already see the difference)

ciao

Massimo

Nick_Burman

Check out the items that are planned for the Unitram system: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/list/605/0/1

Am I dreaming?

Also note that the switch is given as being electrically-powered. Who is going to be the first person to create some kind of system to represent the contact-actuated switch motors used by the prototype? :grin

Cheers NB

jappomania

and for those (like me  :grin ) that like to rebuild complete history of 200 series..

original E car formation..

http://www11.ocn.ne.jp/~jnr80s/tohoku_joetsu200.htm

F set originally built or transformed

http://www11.ocn.ne.jp/~jnr80s/85_tohoku_joetsu200.htm

schema without car numbers but much complete till 2009 (but in the last 3 years nothing has changed, only some cars has been withdrawn)

http://www.kitanet.ne.jp/~joyfact/series200rireki1.html

http://www.kitanet.ne.jp/~joyfact/series200rireki2.html

http://www.kitanet.ne.jp/~joyfact/series200rireki3.html

K set

http://www.kitanet.ne.jp/~joyfact/shinkansen.series200gaiyo%5B04%5D.html

ciao

Massimo

Fenway Park

Kato have changed their spec for the C56: They have stated the maximum load will be 5 coaches.

Kato have changed their spec for the C56: They have stated the maximum load will be 5 coaches.

Sounds ok for an engine that size on a branchline, should be able to pull a reasonable string of 4 wheelers.

So the sheer fact that 11-704 is indicated as an option tells me that this is just the same old set as before, no? With probably the set and car numbers printed. Big whoop..

Sadly, that set doesn't actually include 3 D51s.  It's 6 SEKIs, 5 HOKIs and a WAFU.  For the standard D51s, they provide new number plates: 179, 409, 774, 889.

i know it doesn't  :grin

but for me to run that beast i would have to buy 3 d51's thats why i have to skip it  :laugh:

Nick_Burman

Sadly, that set doesn't actually include 3 D51s.  It's 6 SEKIs, 5 HOKIs and a WAFU.  For the standard D51s, they provide new number plates: 179, 409, 774, 889.

Yes, however the covered hoppers for the train are completely new. Seems there is a boom in freight train interest now.

Cheers NB