What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

Welshbloke

It's well worth linking the pickups on the unpowered bogie. I used some very fine silicone insulated wire which fitted into the grooves on top of the underframe moulding without being trapped by the body. My two examples of the motor bogie run very well for such a tiny motor and will easily handle a couple of trailers (so KuMoRu/KuRu and an unpowered KuMoYa would be fine on level track). Do fit the ballast weights in the motor/wheelsets packs too.

The metal pantographs are a huge improvement, just study prototype photos to decide which insulators and so on you need. If you decide you'd like one of the single-pan KuMoYas then the leftover part from the double pack will make a good KuMoRu load.

Couplings - Tomix C-51 will fit, I can't comment on others from their close coupler offerings. They will need some modification to fit with the motor bogie, I've done this successfully on a KuMoYa from the same range. From memory I had to file the hump above the worm gear on the bogie as well as carving as much material off the back of the coupler mechanism as I dared. I will have to repeat the process in a few weeks as Tomix are making another batch of couplers and I've pre-ordered enough to kit the KuMoRu/KuRu out properly. Mine currently has a pair of grey couplers between the vehicles as those were the only ones available at the time, which will find their way under one of the grey underframed KuMoYas when Tenshodo re-run them.

The double head couplers will also fit and don't require any modifications, I used a Kadee #5 box and centring spring which needed a little fiddling about to get the right height and free movement, but removed it after seeing that the close coupler mechanism could be made to fit with the motor. If I could find another I'd fit them to the outer ends of the KuMoRu/KuRu.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Kamome

Thanks for the information @Welshbloke 

7 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

Do fit the ballast weights in the motor/wheelsets packs too.

Did you fit these into the cab as there is only really space for 2 weights in the chassis recess?

7 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

My two examples of the motor bogie run very well for such a tiny motor and will easily handle a couple of trailers (so KuMoRu/KuRu and an unpowered KuMoYa would be fine on level track).

Yeah my motor is ok, but I think I might open it to see if anything is sticking or binding. I get the occasion stall but not clear why. Also has some speed changes on cleaned, straight level track, not related to distance from feeder.

Something may not be aligned correctly but at least worst case, I could replace with another one.

• Like 1
Welshbloke

Nope, I just fitted the two under the floor. Did try to get them as close as possible to the motor end of the chassis within the slot. Those whitemetal wheels should help too, my other thought was to add an aircon pod as a load with a bit of lead sheet hidden inside.

• Like 1

A first little order from Models Imon.

Great service, kept updated about the order even getting an automated reply that as the order was towards the end of the month, it may take longer than normal due to most manufacturers delivering around that time. Stock was accumulated from Shinjuku, Ikebukuro and Yokohama quite quickly.

Anyway finally have some correct destinations for the Kato 20 series Fuji, some head marks for the EF65-1000 amongst others, as well as some Yamagata destination stickers for the 50 series coaches.  The main reason for the order is for the head tail light modules for the Kumoru 145 from Model cedar. These use tiny LEDs. Maybe could have used the cheaper ones with larger LEDs as these could probably be used on Z scale applications.

DC3B09C2-FE5A-472E-B43A-98B99F4ECF4E.jpeg

• Like 2
Martijn Meerts

IMON has a lot of really nice tools and materials available in their shop. Unfortunately they don't do international shipping, but luckily, RG-Rokko can get most of the stuff from IMON. Several tools for building brass kits came from IMON, and they're one of the few places I found that have solder with a low melting point.

I should probably visit 1 of their shops when I go to Japan again. Although, maybe that might not be the best idea budget wise o.O

• Like 2
lighthouse

Today, from RG Rokko the Toshiba 40t loco made from Tenshodo and two Kato Wara's arrived. Now I can start a new Gakunan - style project 😃

DSC_0894.thumb.JPG.de0e61214c519d6a637ee0a7f40fd682.JPG

Edited by lighthouse
  • Like 4
lighthouse

Hi Mark, thank you very much for sharing the document. It will be helpful to build the layout.

Regards, Ulli

Edited by lighthouse

Yesterday after the Kato show in Tenjin, popped into Volks and bought a second Zoukei Mura DD54. This time the 6th generation blue train fitted one with the round side windows, closer in appearance to its German counterpart.DA618AE3-53FA-4028-AA79-19E205CEB620.thumb.jpeg.fafd68a3e2d479626ece667d90e8df33.jpeg

There are a few other slight cosmetic differences but generally the same mould, although I did think there was more roof variation than this model suggests. 9418636F-EA64-499B-8D88-868DD5FE067D.thumb.jpeg.a14f0a70d6da5a672fccec60b7f1a22e.jpeg86CBF810-EF73-4CE2-BE49-8F752949C95B.thumb.jpeg.07730f80ded46840ed969c87250f2f04.jpeg

The large task of detailing will have to wait a while although having learnt some tricks the first time round, hopefully will be a bit simpler thin time.

It runs nice and smooth, just like the previous one and now I have a mating pair, I have started breeding DD54s.

84F4E008-EC5E-411A-9CDB-93B5AE2EB991.thumb.jpeg.0273ba0b9afb2b0b399eb5963cd22657.jpeg

• Like 3