What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

Welshbloke

It's well worth linking the pickups on the unpowered bogie. I used some very fine silicone insulated wire which fitted into the grooves on top of the underframe moulding without being trapped by the body. My two examples of the motor bogie run very well for such a tiny motor and will easily handle a couple of trailers (so KuMoRu/KuRu and an unpowered KuMoYa would be fine on level track). Do fit the ballast weights in the motor/wheelsets packs too.

The metal pantographs are a huge improvement, just study prototype photos to decide which insulators and so on you need. If you decide you'd like one of the single-pan KuMoYas then the leftover part from the double pack will make a good KuMoRu load.

Couplings - Tomix C-51 will fit, I can't comment on others from their close coupler offerings. They will need some modification to fit with the motor bogie, I've done this successfully on a KuMoYa from the same range. From memory I had to file the hump above the worm gear on the bogie as well as carving as much material off the back of the coupler mechanism as I dared. I will have to repeat the process in a few weeks as Tomix are making another batch of couplers and I've pre-ordered enough to kit the KuMoRu/KuRu out properly. Mine currently has a pair of grey couplers between the vehicles as those were the only ones available at the time, which will find their way under one of the grey underframed KuMoYas when Tenshodo re-run them.

The double head couplers will also fit and don't require any modifications, I used a Kadee #5 box and centring spring which needed a little fiddling about to get the right height and free movement, but removed it after seeing that the close coupler mechanism could be made to fit with the motor. If I could find another I'd fit them to the outer ends of the KuMoRu/KuRu.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the information @Welshbloke 

7 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

Do fit the ballast weights in the motor/wheelsets packs too.

Did you fit these into the cab as there is only really space for 2 weights in the chassis recess?

7 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

My two examples of the motor bogie run very well for such a tiny motor and will easily handle a couple of trailers (so KuMoRu/KuRu and an unpowered KuMoYa would be fine on level track).

Yeah my motor is ok, but I think I might open it to see if anything is sticking or binding. I get the occasion stall but not clear why. Also has some speed changes on cleaned, straight level track, not related to distance from feeder.

Something may not be aligned correctly but at least worst case, I could replace with another one.

• Like 1
Welshbloke

Nope, I just fitted the two under the floor. Did try to get them as close as possible to the motor end of the chassis within the slot. Those whitemetal wheels should help too, my other thought was to add an aircon pod as a load with a bit of lead sheet hidden inside.

• Like 1

A first little order from Models Imon.

Great service, kept updated about the order even getting an automated reply that as the order was towards the end of the month, it may take longer than normal due to most manufacturers delivering around that time. Stock was accumulated from Shinjuku, Ikebukuro and Yokohama quite quickly.

Anyway finally have some correct destinations for the Kato 20 series Fuji, some head marks for the EF65-1000 amongst others, as well as some Yamagata destination stickers for the 50 series coaches.  The main reason for the order is for the head tail light modules for the Kumoru 145 from Model cedar. These use tiny LEDs. Maybe could have used the cheaper ones with larger LEDs as these could probably be used on Z scale applications.

DC3B09C2-FE5A-472E-B43A-98B99F4ECF4E.jpeg

• Like 2
Martijn Meerts

IMON has a lot of really nice tools and materials available in their shop. Unfortunately they don't do international shipping, but luckily, RG-Rokko can get most of the stuff from IMON. Several tools for building brass kits came from IMON, and they're one of the few places I found that have solder with a low melting point.

I should probably visit 1 of their shops when I go to Japan again. Although, maybe that might not be the best idea budget wise o.O

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Today, from RG Rokko the Toshiba 40t loco made from Tenshodo and two Kato Wara's arrived. Now I can start a new Gakunan - style project 😃

DSC_0894.thumb.JPG.de0e61214c519d6a637ee0a7f40fd682.JPG

Edited by lighthouse
  • Like 4

Hi Mark, thank you very much for sharing the document. It will be helpful to build the layout.

Regards, Ulli

Edited by lighthouse

Yesterday after the Kato show in Tenjin, popped into Volks and bought a second Zoukei Mura DD54. This time the 6th generation blue train fitted one with the round side windows, closer in appearance to its German counterpart.DA618AE3-53FA-4028-AA79-19E205CEB620.thumb.jpeg.fafd68a3e2d479626ece667d90e8df33.jpeg

There are a few other slight cosmetic differences but generally the same mould, although I did think there was more roof variation than this model suggests. 9418636F-EA64-499B-8D88-868DD5FE067D.thumb.jpeg.a14f0a70d6da5a672fccec60b7f1a22e.jpeg86CBF810-EF73-4CE2-BE49-8F752949C95B.thumb.jpeg.07730f80ded46840ed969c87250f2f04.jpeg

The large task of detailing will have to wait a while although having learnt some tricks the first time round, hopefully will be a bit simpler thin time.

It runs nice and smooth, just like the previous one and now I have a mating pair, I have started breeding DD54s.

84F4E008-EC5E-411A-9CDB-93B5AE2EB991.thumb.jpeg.0273ba0b9afb2b0b399eb5963cd22657.jpeg

• Like 8

Received a couple of Tenshodo plastic coaches as a gift from family in the UK. These models seem quite challenging to find in Japan and Rails of Sheffield had a few in stock, released in 2015.

57033 Oyu 12 mail van

57038 Oro 11 green car

Both are extremely nice models, lots of fine detail on the underside and crisp tampo printed details. The green car seats are also beautifully painted in red with cream white seat covers. I will probably change out the plastic couplers for metal Kadees and add some of the Tenshodo lighting strips.

Word of warning. These were listed as New on Rails of Sheffield but after a quick look over them, they are not new, perhaps the website description should read “Like New”

Very good condition but there had been some obvious wear on the wheels as well as them being slightly oxidised. Also new stock generally doesn’t come with crud on the wheels. All parts and decals hadn’t been fitted although oil and grease had been added in some unnecessary areas. 

I would’ve expected better from a well known model railway shop that have to look over, appraise and price stock according to its condition. Yes, the design maybe different but I think I could look over a railway model from a country I know little about and judge whether it was new or not. As far as I’m concerned, if you purchase from the supplier, they’re new. If they come in from another source be it estate lot, reclaimed stock or an independent seller they are “like new” or used. 

Still a welcome addition as they were priced under what these coaches tend to sell used on auction sites in Japan but certainly will be may more wary of RoS listings from now on.

36674253-6AEC-43D4-B721-C37B3E136BA7.jpeg

4FB4DA74-F211-47B4-B986-C5E6C76553FB.jpeg

4AEDCA53-8B63-4ABD-986A-490F35A7ABBB.jpeg

385525BB-910C-4458-B03F-4EDD99A0BDA6.jpeg

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 4

It's been quite a while since I got anything Japanese, but the tramway 8620 was to pretty to pass up.  It should work well for late steam on the Matsuura and Sasebo lines.  I also picked up three of the blue kato old type coaches.

20221010_180729.jpg

20221010_183208.jpg

20221010_190126.jpg

• Like 6

Managed to score a couple of NaHaFu 10(11) coaches today from a little tiny independent shop called Treasure Trains. It wouldn’t be the easiest place to find but certainly a few things long out of general availability. Definitely some N scale bits for me to consider too. The chap who runs the shop is pretty knowledgeable although the shop is pretty limited as a general place to visit. 

These coaches were released in 2014 and here they are, brand spanking new.

Sadly, no Naha 10 to accompany them as my intention is to make a short 7-8 coach, loco-hauled, non-sleeper express with 6 seated coaches, 1 of which is an Oro 11 green car, with Oyu 12 and Ohani 36 mail vans. 

Seems a pretty lucky find and priced as they were at release in 2014 minus a small discount, roughly ¥3000 less than the 2019 versions. 

B7DCC0CD-A97A-4FBC-9816-308A7C81E5A8.jpeg

• Like 8

Trying to find information of mixed (old style) coaching stock in late JNR era. 

I have been trying to locate some Naha 10s with very little success as my aim is to make a late era JNR passenger service rather than a sleeper. As I already have some 20 and 24 series sleeper formations, though it would be good to make a express or local formation. 

As I understand, the 10 series were phased out totally by 1984, but seems that odd coaches were thrown into formations with 35 and 43 series coaches, especially around the Sanin and Fukuchiyama lines in western Japan before their demise. There still seems to be some Kato models of 35 and 43 coaches around and thought these could be ideal if I could get some idea on rules or examples of how coach sets were put together. I understand that Fu will be put at ends of the train due to the conductors room and tail lights. 

As example from what I could deduce (happy to be corrected if anyone has further info) 

12 series tended to be in sets of 6

50 series often in sets of 4, sometimes formation halved to create a 4+2  (Ohafu, Oha, Oha, Ohafu)

There seems to be very little photographic information on 10 series other than individual coaches and wondered whether forum members could shed any further information from books, magazines you may have accumulated over the years. Most of what I have found is either full 10 series sleeper formations, which can be found from model manufacturers or combination images of the 10 sleepers and 12 series passenger coaches on the Kitaguni services. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Kamome said:

As example from what I could deduce (happy to be corrected if anyone has further info) 

12 series tended to be in sets of 6

50 series often in sets of 4, sometimes formation halved to create a 4+2  (Ohafu, Oha, Oha, Ohafu)

I am by no means an expert on JNR passenger coaches, but from what I recall 12 series gensets could only power 6 coaches (2 end coaches and 4 mid train coaches).  Any larger sets would have a set of end cars mid train as well and be broken into smaller blocks of cars electrically for power reasons.  50 series generators could power 4 cars, but you can see longer sets again broken into smaller power blocks.  Due to this the end cars have pass though doors to allow operation in these larger sets.

Regarding 10 series coaches, while they may be the first of the "new type" passenger coaches from a design and construction standpoint, they are operationally "old type" coaches ala 35/43 series with steam heat and each car having an independent axle driven generator powering individual car batteries.  As such you would not find them mixed in a later "new type" series coaches as they do not use HEP.  They could however be mixed in older style coach trains just fine.  

As an aside, some were later converted to HVAC and/or electrical heat, but had HVAC coaches had individual engine driving AC units mounted under the car rather than one power car powering a set of coaches like later series such as the 20, 12, 50 and such.  Sleepers were retired first, coaches that had been converted to electric heat lasted longer (running with other old type coaches similarly converted) until finally replaced by the 50 series.

From what I understand, when mixed in a train like Kitaguni the 10 series would each have their own engine driven HVAC unit to provide light and heating/cooling for the coaches, while the set of 12 series coaches would run as a block with one end car having a genset to provide light and heating for all the 12 series in that set.  http://yoneyamaexp.livedoor.blog/archives/4531759.html

The Japanese Wiki article has a pretty decent amount of information on the coaches.  https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/国鉄10系客車

Edited by Kiha66
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Kiha. 
That info is great. 

I’m also looking for some alternative formation ideas so I’m not just throwing things together. The most common night trains seem well documented but as i’m not planning any sleeping births, it’s difficult to find any documented information other than single coach photographs.   There seems to be a few images of Naha and Nahafu in a rake of old style coaches and would be good to know some common formation methodology. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Kamome said:

I’m also looking for some alternative formation ideas so I’m not just throwing things together. The most common night trains seem well documented but as i’m not planning any sleeping births, it’s difficult to find any documented information other than single coach photographs.   There seems to be a few images of Naha and Nahafu in a rake of old style coaches and would be good to know some common formation methodology. 

I have a couple of issues of Jtrain magazine which have articles featuring formations/consists of late-period JNR passenger workings. I'm away from home until tomorrow afternoon, but when I get back I'll scan some and PM you.

Cheers,

Mark..

Edited by marknewton
  • Thanks 2

Having a look at some of the used HO in Book Off at the weekend. Passed on a much wanted EH200 as it was sadly a bit banged up. Did discover this “Junk” EF64 Milk carton for a fair price considering it was reported essentially as “Poor/Non runner.”  Think the Japanese translation said “working periodically”

09EA61A6-5BE3-44BE-9BCF-EAC5FE1DFBA2.thumb.jpeg.295f61eae5e99578da83135f55006d67.jpeg

The body shell looked in good condition,  and I know one shop that carry the Tomix motors so thought I’d take a punt. I’m generally interested in Kokutetsu (JNR era) but have a soft spot for anything JRF. Having a large amount of Koki and Taki in HO means a few more locos would be helpful. (Not sure why I’m trying to justify the purchase, as I’m preaching to the choir.)

After getting it home, it was very clear what the issue was. After a thorough clean of all the crud off the wheels, the worst I’ve seen for some time, the loco sprung to life, be it a bit rough. There was also a lot of grease over the chassis to decided to strip the whole thing down, clean up and re-lubricate. It seems the previous owner had been very generous with oil on top of whatever grease was used. This oil had thrown itself all around the cavities in the chassis that house the bogies as well as inside the shell. Thankfully due to the shape of the internal weight, the oil hadn’t got near the motor. The contacts on the light board needed a clean and the contacts to the motor were making a temperamental connection so after a quick bend back to position, the loco runs again. 

78EF135E-F10E-4DF9-B06E-F0283EDE3881.thumb.jpeg.8df04dfd835c78b85e6e59936b500904.jpeg08F78C7C-B043-4300-B8E6-D55D83B2CD61.thumb.jpeg.7b107f002c9fdfb611acb40dc236ccdb.jpeg

All of my Tomix locos seem to be marginally noisier than my Kato and I wonder whether the previous owner thought giving the thing an oil bath would resolve it. 

There is a minor scratch on the windscreen glazing. It looks as if the installation of the wipers caused issues as all were incorrectly installed. Nothing was glued and the wiper parts were identical to the spares I had from other Tomix locos. Due to the shape of the scratch, it looks like some smear from the wiper as it’s a perfect match to the out edge of the wiper blade. 

2EC7D220-6C59-4D24-9D1E-548ECE39CD94.thumb.jpeg.4d53907ec1e8e8f98a53dab76cb07440.jpeg

A few parts are missing which I missed on my inspection in the shop and are not in the box, annoyingly. None of which are major issues but will look at adding them if I can find suitable parts. The most “noticeable” is the white GPS module hadn’t been installed. It doesn’t really affect the look of the model too much, but as it’s a modern loco, it should have it. The other omission is the metal etched makers plates and oval JRF cab plates.  All other parts were fitted precisely so not sure why the owner hadn’t done the last few fine details. 

The GPS seems to be available from Tomix Tech station but will contact them to see if they carry any metal etched spares. If forum members have alternative options for makers plates etc.. I’d happily take recommendations. 

DDBBBC17-C54E-416B-8C4D-436250E2FCEC.thumb.jpeg.a40c2bbcecd8cc19b7e4167b865f948b.jpeg

The ideal would be for Tomix to reproduce this as they were often seen in pairs on the Chuo line. This particular numbered loco, 1009, was apparently based in Takasaki and then eventually moved to Aichi. There seems to be a lot of photos online of it running in both single and double-header and I will eventually give it some weathering to make it look far more like a JRF loco. 

• Like 6

Looks great @Kamome.  The detail in HO is impressive.  Between this and the EH200, is the Chuo Line a major interest of yours?  If so how did that happen with it being so far away from your Kyushu location?

Not particularly, just have a penchant for JRF locos and stock. Actual even my JNR era stock is quite varied, through “attractive” pricing mainly. The EH200 and EH500 are “wants” and the one I saw was not in a condition I’d be comfortable with. I’ve always liked the EF64s in this livery and having a pair would be the ideal. 

Although Kyushu based, the only Kyushu HO stock I own is a JNR era ED76 and a 9600. 

88944F27-0C1C-488F-817B-B1253A1E9289.thumb.jpeg.0fadd0db4ae76b5811523c366841b426.jpeg

1072661A-432C-4B4C-B1DF-BAFCE2B0BD4B.thumb.jpeg.20afa0d54cea6143284fdcec6827bb23.jpeg

The Chuo line is certainly interesting and we don’t have any tanker traffic in Kyushu, to my knowledge. I assume all of the gasoline comes in by ship and then gets moved by truck. 

Container loads can be varied  but having tankers as well make it a little more interesting and other modern freight forms in HO tend to be kit from smaller companies or brass. Either way, it gets expensive. I was also looking at the paper tank container kits from IORI as Morita ones no longer exist. Looks like there’s some MCLC (Mitsubishi Chemical Logistics Corp) coming out soon which I see from time to time on Koki 200s in the area.

Update As for missing parts, it appears Echo models have some of the makers and JRF plates in metal etch , if Tomix ones aren’t available.

• Like 3

From Hobby Search, the Tomytec 'Yamaneko' DeHa and HoHa set together with the requisite TM-07R power unit and TT-03R running parts. Looks like I got the last one as they went to 'sold out' straight after I put my order in! Once I can get hold of one I will replace the power unit with an Aru Model B4009.

Since the set is clearly based on Enshu Okuyama Line stock it will represent part of a lot of ex Okuyama stock bought second hand by the Kohei Electric Railway when Enshu closed the Okuyama Line.

• Like 1

Besides Kato 485 series, ordered powerpack etc.. these are from RG-Rokko in Kobe city. Duty free price available for oversea model train lover!! 
Impressive wrappings. 

2D205575-6185-493C-ABF0-A06BDEB2D698.jpeg

From Sakatsu Global:

-Echo Model large stone torii (to replace that awful wargaming MDF kit I use on Amenomiya).

-Echo Model small wooden torii (for the Inarimae mini-module).

-Echo Model Honda Super Cub motorbike (business version with extended cargo rack).

-Echo Model Japanese post boxes round type pair.

-Echo Model wooden/bamboo ladders pair (still used to this day on electric railways as safer around overhead wires than any metal ladder).

-Echo Model wooden barrels set.

-Echo Model rice bales set.

-Baioudou umbrellas set.

-Sakatsu Originals flower pots 10 pack.

-Sakatsu Originals planters 6 pack.

All in HO of course.

Hope everyone is having a good Good Friday. A surprise to be let home 3 hours early today so gave me the opportunity to look over the Tomix Kiha 40-2000 in HO gauge. 

CC549C10-F201-45A0-A42F-C8F8C95A4538.thumb.jpeg.3dcd01c526c1b0aa89f23715eaba8a9a.jpeg

I was very excited that Tomix saw fit to release a general use 2000 type after the very nice Hokkaido versions. 

39086808-199E-4EEB-931A-3BF8F01E761F.thumb.jpeg.d877a29b61b960dc25d9ef2523f72c62.jpeg

It’s strange to look at a pristine orange example when these things look pretty well used and weathered out on their respective rural lines.

2A3F68F1-77D2-4E1E-8FCE-EB5978DED5CD.thumb.jpeg.370546d96c36335889db9d8305b8da6c.jpeg

I did consider getting a dummy car to go along with this and make it a 2 car set but preferred the idea of a single car unit. Never say never but I like seeing these single units near me running through the countryside although I will possibly make this a Yonago area Kiha as I have a couple of DD54s and a DF50 with Yonago shed plates. 

There is a good range of destination stickers for the side “sabo” although Hakata or Nogata are also considerations as I’m in Kyushu. 

Here it is next to its Kato n scale counterpart. 

D0D0A641-DFEF-40F5-8FF9-8415371C8770.thumb.jpeg.118864ae57961a7b252ea4f9303ac048.jpeg

There are a wealth of parts to be added so you can’t really gauge the detail in this incomplete stage but I’m sure it’ll look the part adorned with all of it’s various accessories. 516C6196-B282-4BDB-B956-0A0191BD9771.thumb.jpeg.d2bc0a44990ad8b4b88d2517594fe992.jpeg

89EBE729-0330-4D94-8F43-C5A2F49E2D06.thumb.jpeg.747a6ceb9b16e1c45a37622534a289db.jpeg

I like the addition of the rear cab light coming on with the tail lights although there is a switch to control these functions and an included tool to make the changes, as the switch has been placed, slightly irritatingly, under each bogie. 

I will post some further pictures once the parts have been added and I will certainly give it some dirt and grime. 

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 7
On 10/1/2022 at 12:09 AM, Kamome said:

Still a welcome addition as they were priced under what these coaches tend to sell used on auction sites in Japan but certainly will be may more wary of RoS listings from now on.

It's well known that Rails of Sheffield are often quite over-optimistic in their assessments of condition and value. Some of their sales listings have gone down in infamy as examples of 'Ebay Madness', such as charging £70 for some very badly assembled and painted 009 very old steam loco kits mounted on diesel chassis. You are right to be wary.