What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

Darn, looks like I missed it.  Nice find!  I may have to 3d model something like that for myself sometime.

Yep I looked through Hobby Search sale and didn’t see it.  The cosmic stuff looks interesting but seems difficult to find across a lot of outlets that supposedly stock it.  Great find!

shadowtiger25
5 hours ago, Kamome said:

Yep I looked through Hobby Search sale and didn’t see it.  The cosmic stuff looks interesting but seems difficult to find across a lot of outlets that supposedly stock it.  Great find!

Which is why when I saw it on sale I picked it up with out a second thought 

Too bad the sankie station #4 I was wanting is sold out

shadowtiger25
9 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Darn, looks like I missed it.  Nice find!  I may have to 3d model something like that for myself sometime.

I have a book that details how to scratch build one if you would want me to send pictures of those pages

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, shadowtiger25 said:

I have a book that details how to scratch build one if you would want me to send pictures of those pages

That would be incredibly helpful, I'd appreciate it!

shadowtiger25
3 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

That would be incredibly helpful, I'd appreciate it!

I will try to remember when I get home

Super great book I got from Yahoo auctions that details how to scratch build a lot of things that are useful for a Japanese model railroad. Cant read it, but like all good Japanese model guides the pictures are so detailed on how to do it that you probably dont even need to read the guide

• Thanks 1
shadowtiger25
4 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Sounds like a useful resource!  I may have to pick up a copy myself.

The one on the left is the one with the guides. Incredible manual 

The second is a scenery guide with lots of pictures from all over. Lots of short lines and the narrow(er) gauge stuff

IMG_20210521_233646_893.thumb.jpg.cc8bf3aa3e488feaa471cb22d1a3d568.jpgIMG_20210521_233656_332.thumb.jpg.b0b1585e8ce765b8030f8a2b26508287.jpgIMG_20210521_233649_659.thumb.jpg.bc9072f30a6cab0970a00b28c5553633.jpgIMG_20210521_233651_527.thumb.jpg.7ba9766918ff260d5696087c97a35a31.jpgIMG_20210521_233651_527.thumb.jpg.7ba9766918ff260d5696087c97a35a31.jpgIMG_20210521_233657_951.thumb.jpg.116cc8a6c7d5414f0d4de074e38964a4.jpgIMG_20210521_233700_128.thumb.jpg.0a7cce544db1398afdcbe3a05633db70.jpgin sorry these may not be in order

IMG_20210521_233652_714.jpg

IMG_20210521_233654_787.jpg

• Thanks 1

Wow, these look great!  Do you happen to have the ISBN number for the books?  I may have to try to find a copy myself!

shadowtiger25
7 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

Wow, these look great!  Do you happen to have the ISBN number for the books?  I may have to try to find a copy myself!

There are no barcodes and very little publisher information 

This is quiet literally all the info I can give. 73 is the layout guide, 74 is the scenery guide

IMG_20210521_235217_055.thumb.jpg.4d165ee5f30f07aeb9c021ab61372feb.jpgIMG_20210521_235215_176.thumb.jpg.b3bdc28b4e1cb43192432ec7432f4032.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks!  These will be a good start to trying to design my own HO station structures.

shadowtiger25
19 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Thanks!  These will be a good start to trying to design my own HO station structures.

The layout guide has way more

Including houses

Engine sheds

Even stuff like bikes

As well as some inspirational layouts in the front

• Like 1
marknewton

My Tenshodo D51 finally arrived, and I think it's superb.  I ran a light engine trial with it this afternoon on the Kitchenbenchbahn. As I expected, it's very smooth and quiet. Well, the mech is - the DCC sound is anything but. For those who don't care for sound-equipped locos, look away now. 😉

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 6

Very nice!  If they make a "standard form" D51 I'll be very tempted to pick one up.

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

Very typical plastic sound 😄

But, at least the loco looks great, you can always just turn off the sound, and still have a great loco 😉

• Haha 3

I dislike all the HO sound units. All are awful and sound like cheap cell phones.

No sound unit smaller than gauge 1 could satisfy my ears up to now.

Acoustics cannot be scaled like a model.

Better havong a record of the original played through the HiFi or even better via a guitar amp (Marshall or VOX) plus bass amp (Orange).

Makes the neighbors jump aside to stay save from oncoming engine.

• Haha 1
Welshbloke

The LGB steam sound van is probably the most thunderous one I've found so far. The amusing part is that it plugs into a loco via sockets on the back of the cab (intended to provide track power for accessories). So you can do very silly things like plug it into an electric loco which will then chuff noisily as it circulates...

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

With the help of @roadstar_na6 I managed to win an auction for an old H0j steam locomotive kit.

Bit of a weird story really, as I said on Discord stuff like Zenmarket was useless for me, since the stuff I want (an IMON C11 kit mainly) would probably not show up on Yahoo auctions and the like. A search was done anyway, and while a C11 didn't show up, another item caught my interest.

It was an unbuilt kit by "Modellwagen Spezialkräfte", a company that these day mainly does small runs of H0e kits and prebuilt models. The kit in question is a Yubari Railway type 11 steam locomotive, released in 1998. It was pretty interesting to find an unbuilt kit that old. Initially I didn't want to bid all that much on it, but the more I read about the loco, the more I felt like it's a perfect match for what I'm trying to build. It's a light loco used to haul short mixed freight trains, and later used for shunting. I've seen pictures of the thing pulling a single freight car even, so it's a perfect fit next to the Hokutan #2 loco to do some shunting in the freight station and pull some short trains to and from nearby locations on the JNR-owned branch line.

Of course, since it's an old kit, there's no guarantee it's complete, and spare parts will be impossible to get. It's a bit of a gamble, but if it's (mostly) complete, it'll be a nice addition. The disadvantage is of course, that there's plenty more interesting H0j and especially H0e stuff to get on Yahoo auctions 😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
shadowtiger25
On 5/31/2021 at 9:40 AM, marknewton said:

My Tenshodo D51 finally arrived, and I think it's superb.  I ran a light engine trial with it this afternoon on the Kitchenbenchbahn. As I expected, it's very smooth and quiet. Well, the mech is - the DCC sound is anything but. For those who don't care for sound-equipped locos, look away now. 😉

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mark.

Personally I have 3 of those quantum sound locos form tenshodo.

It's not the fault of plastic as its duel speaker that is quite large in there. It's a good speaker. The decoders tenshodo uses are junk from back in 2007 before QSI went under and they ordered them in bulk. The company hasn't existed since 2009! Decoders have improved so much since then.

Personally I plan of eventually replacing it with a Lok V5. I have one V4 and one V5 and they sound spectacular!

• Like 1

New problems for decision came just in today:

EF 55 1 by World Kogei as lost wax and etching brass kit.

I love this streamlined locomotive.

Would it come RTR (plastic) from Tenshodo once?

How much would Tenshodo then be?

Tenshodo is changing from plastic to die cast (Märklin like) and the prices become higher and higher.

Should I or would it be another brass kit never being built?

Martijn Meerts

It really depends on how comfortable you are with soldering. I don’t think this kit is particularly difficult, but it just has lots of parts. All the brass and nickel silver bits shouldn’t be an issue to solder, the cast parts can be difficult if they’re quite large.

Other than that, some cast parts will be pewter or similar, which requires low temp solder since pewter has a lower melting point than regular solder. 

World Kougei often also includes stainless steel parts for some of the fine detail, that needs special flux to be able to solder it. 

Building your own trains, even from a kit, is fun though and feels great when you see them run for the first time, but you might want to give some cheaper kits a try first. You could still order this kit of course, and start building once you feel comfortable with it, most of my kits I’ve had for several years before starting them. 

• Like 1
On 6/1/2021 at 7:29 PM, Martijn Meerts said:

Very typical plastic sound

I don't know about plastic, Martijn. Most of the model is die-cast metal. 😉

It sounds a lot better in person than it does on the video.

All the best,

Mark.

On 5/22/2021 at 9:22 AM, Kiha66 said:

Sounds like a useful resource!  I may have to pick up a copy myself.

I think these books are compilations of articles published in TMS magazine over the years. I've got a couple, plus a big pile of the magazines given to me by Doug Coster before he moved to Hong Kong. I'm happy to scan the drawings and diagrams if you like.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Thanks 1