What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

Kit, Echo Model also have a large range of add-on and superdetailing parts.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/search?typ1_c=117&cat=train&target=Make&searchkey=Echo+Model

Most of my recent model purchases have been 1/72 aircraft kits - I'm rekindling an interest from years ago - but I also bought a Tenshodo ChiKi 5500 container wagon. That's it behind the D51. I'm also waiting on a Tomix KoKi 50000. I don't intend to have more than a couple of the early container wagons, but the appeal of having some colourful boxes hauled by steam is too good to resist.

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 4

Thanks for heads upon EM. I’ve looked at their building kits but not looked further. I like the Imon website. Easy to navigate with some basic Japanese knowledge for the search field.

I’m also glad i found that Imon do the full range of Kadees as most places only cater for the 3 or 4 options available through Kato. 

I agree about the Kokis. I’d like a couple to add into a mixed freight train. I’ve seen images of 2 or 3 thrown in with Wamus and Toras and the odd Taki. I remember seeing a very interesting image of 2 C56s head and tail behind a short goods train with a Koki in the middle on the Koumi line. I recreated this in N gauge once and people kept saying that’s not a real train until i showed them the photo.

I’m quite interested in changing out the plastic handrails for metal on some of my electric locos. The Kato EF65 ones sag quite a bit and need repositioning each time it’s put onto the track. Also a little cheaper than the Tomix Prestige models.

On a separate note, had a payment request for my DF50 so hopefully will receive a shipping notification soon.

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 1

Just arrived, another 1200 horses for the Fuji sleeper service through to Oita, pre-electrification.

She’s a heavy girl for a short loco. I think heavier than my Tomix AC Electrics.

A beautifully semi-gloss paint finish, not that many looked like that after a few hours of running.  Loads of grab handles and rails to apply. I particularly like the metal etched permission tablet protectors on the grills closest to the cabs. Also love the spoke wheels, which based on the size of the axle boxes, they could have regular wheels. You get just a glimpse of the spokes so nice they included this feature.

I’m going to enjoy detailing this one. I need to pay special attention to any Kyushu based details, such as the shorter front hand rails. 

There a a few tiny gripes but nothing worthy of feeling disappointed. Just will need to add to the jobs list to sort before being fully happy with it.

The silver flue piece has sprue remains on one side. It’s easily filed and repainted.22F2948C-58EA-4DA0-9576-8FD5152F2763.thumb.jpeg.49f08bf54dce858ec404adb90e87847f.jpeg

The shunters steps on the snow plough are slightly bent up. Not sure why Tomix use very flexible plastic in these areas. 

There is only the “Comet/Suisei” head mark but no “Fuji.” Not a deal breaker but would have been nice to have a choice. 

All in all, another beautifully modelled machine from Tomix.

07300EE8-E9F6-433B-B43A-56EDB53C3DAF.jpeg

04B080A6-0F06-4850-81A9-5DE8B4D78D35.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I want to get some more Tomix locos. I was very impressed with their EF66. Been holding back, though, because I need to actually work on this one and bring it up to spec before I buy another project, eh?

• Like 1
shadowtiger25
18 hours ago, Kamome said:

Just arrived, another 1200 horses for the Fuji sleeper service through to Oita, pre-electrification.

She’s a heavy girl for a short loco. I think heavier than my Tomix AC Electrics.

A beautifully semi-gloss paint finish, not that many looked like that after a few hours of running.  Loads of grab handles and rails to apply. I particularly like the metal etched permission tablet protectors on the grills closest to the cabs. Also love the spoke wheels, which based on the size of the axle boxes, they could have regular wheels. You get just a glimpse of the spokes so nice they included this feature.

I’m going to enjoy detailing this one. I need to pay special attention to any Kyushu based details, such as the shorter front hand rails. 

There a a few tiny gripes but nothing worthy of feeling disappointed. Just will need to add to the jobs list to sort before being fully happy with it.

The silver flue piece has sprue remains on one side. It’s easily filed and repainted.22F2948C-58EA-4DA0-9576-8FD5152F2763.thumb.jpeg.49f08bf54dce858ec404adb90e87847f.jpeg

The shunters steps on the snow plough are slightly bent up. Not sure why Tomix use very flexible plastic in these areas. 

There is only the “Comet/Suisei” head mark but no “Fuji.” Not a deal breaker but would have been nice to have a choice. 

All in all, another beautifully modelled machine from Tomix.

07300EE8-E9F6-433B-B43A-56EDB53C3DAF.jpeg

04B080A6-0F06-4850-81A9-5DE8B4D78D35.jpeg

I might have an extra Fuji laying around somewhere from some locomotive. It's either for the Kato ef65 Express 1000 series, or my tomix ED76 that has a broken shell

I might have both. Either way I'm not going to use the head plate

2 minutes ago, shadowtiger25 said:

I might have an extra Fuji laying around somewhere from some locomotive. It's either for the Kato ef65 Express 1000 series, or my tomix ED76 that has a broken shell

I might have both. Either way I'm not going to use the head plate

I very much appreciate the offer.  I'm looking at getting the Fuji set from Moriya Studio amongst other additions. Covers EF65 500/1000, DF50, EF66 and ED76. All are the exact flat round type headmarks but I quite like the earlier triangular version sometimes seen on EF66s and ED76s. 

Kyushu Railway shop had an ingenious way of attaching theirs on the DF50. Here's their blog https://ameblo.jp/kyusyu-railwayshop/entry-12650452667.html

I will need to get some steps from somewhere as I intend to remove the snowplough.  These were only really seen on the Sanin region and Shikoku versions. Surprised these replacement steps are not included unless I've missed them.

I think all the white handrails will need painting before attaching too as the plastic is slightly translucent. I'd also like to try and find a tablet protector for the drivers cab door windows. Musashino did a brass Nippo Line Version that included these so I might try and find someone who makes a replacement or similar. http://musashino-m.co.jp/new_detail.html?part=part5&id=20190621185454

Finally, I may look at changing the rubber frames around the front drivers windows (not front door) to black as Kyushu versions had this. 

There is an included jig to drill holes to add the additional water hose for radiator cooling. I can't find many images with these added but I assume that these were added only to some of the earlier versions with Sulzer engines DF50 0s.  Am I right in thinking once they switched to the 1200hp MAN engines on the DF50 500s, these weren't required?

You went for the brown (grape) version, right?  

• Like 1

I once told to go for the grape version but before reserving I decided for vermillion.

This color scheme was more attracting to me. There are more color contrasts as the lower section is gray instead of whole body brown.

It was an aestetic decision.

Now I wait for the reserved Tomix container to be released to get the payment request for the monthly shipment.

• Like 1

Kamome, I think you'll be very happy with your DF50. I have a pair of them, one in each livery, and they can haul anything and everything I've hung behind them. 

Cheers,

Mark.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, al camino said:

I once told to go for the grape version but before reserving I decided for vermillion.

This color scheme was more attracting to me. There are more color contrasts as the lower section is gray instead of whole body brown.

It was an aestetic decision.

I know what you mean. I have a couple of brown ones in n gauge and they look great double heading but the standard diesel Vermillion looks very nice, especially contrasted with the white hand holds.

On doing more research and trying to find inspiration, I have decided to keep my DF50 as a general use Sanin type. I found some very scruffy photos, in their later years around the Hiroshima area. 

I do prefer the longer door handrails and the snowplough is growing on me. I fancy doing some heavy weathering on this eventually. I’d also like to acquire a DD54 at some point and have some really scruffy looking diesels. 

http://ef58.info/tokushu/19760820-yonago.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dear Kamome

Thanks for the link with images. Vermillion DF50 & brown coaches. That is what i liked.

I already had got a DD54 because of the odd single wheelset in center. She sits and waits for the tons on detailling parts to be applied.

Most of the grabs are painted metal which loses paint easily while attaching to the tiny holes in shell. I am afraid she will not look that crisp after installing.

• Like 1
Modellbahn JP
5 hours ago, al camino said:

Dear Kamome

Thanks for the link with images. Vermillion DF50 & brown coaches. That is what i liked.

I already had got a DD54 because of the odd single wheelset in center. She sits and waits for the tons on detailling parts to be applied.

Most of the grabs are painted metal which loses paint easily while attaching to the tiny holes in shell. I am afraid she will not look that crisp after installing.

Hello.

DF50 was multiple loco so it hauled various coaches.

I hope these pictures which I took in 1976 develop your imagination!

60645A09-0688-4E00-889F-C10BBCF9FCF9.jpeg

67821323-0298-4BD6-BC7D-911426293ED1.jpeg

91569A30-253C-4A2D-A0A5-44509D77E230.jpeg

Edited by Modellbahn JP
  • Like 5

Lovely images @Modellbahn JP

Thank you very much. These are great. Did you take a trip around Kyushu or did you live down here at some point? 

Despite living in here for the last 4 year,  I still haven’t been to Miyazaki

prefecture or explored further into Kagoshima other than it’s main city. 

It doesn’t look like Yamanokuchi station has changed all that much either. 

The mixed freight is particularly interesting and also a blue train with no head mark. I thought these were always present. 

• Like 1
Modellbahn JP

Thank you @Kamome

I tripped to Kyushu in 1976.

The sleeper express without a head mark was shot with Aoidake. Until four years ago when I went, steam locomotives were also working here. Now this place is electrified and sleeper express does not run.

Edited by Modellbahn JP
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, Modellbahn JP said:

Thank you @Kamome

I tripped to Kyushu in 1976.

The sleeper express without a head mark was shot with Aoidake. Until four years ago when I went, steam locomotives were also working here. Now this place is electrified and sleeper express does not run.

Yes, I heard it was a great place to see the last days of Japanese steam. I have a Tenshodo model of 79668, one of the last few remaining 9600s until its demise in 1974. If you have any photos you wish to share with the forum members, I'm sure many of them, including me, would love to see them.

I used to live close to Onga river which was a main channel for coal boats before railways inevitably took over. Since living here, I have become very interested in JNR era railways, especially around the industrial areas of Nogata and Tagawa up to Wakamatsu in Northern Kyushu. 

On a separate subject, does your shop in Yokohama have a bricks and mortar shop to visit or are you currently an online retailer only?

• Like 1
Modellbahn JP
55 minutes ago, Kamome said:

Yes, I heard it was a great place to see the last days of Japanese steam. I have a Tenshodo model of 79668, one of the last few remaining 9600s until its demise in 1974. If you have any photos you wish to share with the forum members, I'm sure many of them, including me, would love to see them.

I used to live close to Onga river which was a main channel for coal boats before railways inevitably took over. Since living here, I have become very interested in JNR era railways, especially around the industrial areas of Nogata and Tagawa up to Wakamatsu in Northern Kyushu. 

On a separate subject, does your shop in Yokohama have a bricks and mortar shop to visit or are you currently an online retailer only?

Hello.

I have some other photos in Kyusyu and will share when the time will come!
My main business is an online shop, but the real store is in Higashi-Kanagawa.

Sometimes I'm out, so if you let me know the date and time before you come and I'll be there.

Please see the following website for the address and map. 

Map

Facebook page

Thanks!

• Like 2
Modellbahn JP
1 hour ago, Kamome said:

Sorry, I made a mistake to tell you my e-mail address.

That is written in my facebook page.

shadowtiger25

Well, got in this "N Goya" upgrade kit for my HO Nesiko express from tenshodo in a few days ago

Small details always make a difference to me and I always hated that the real thing has a wooden flooring most of the cars, and the model just has a grey one. This combined with the hand painted people on board make it feel "true to life" and will prove to those fools at the club that I am indeed truly insane!

IMG_20210704_205928_232.thumb.jpg.3a72af62182a4d9fad843ec057f0df2f.jpgIMG_20210704_205930_582.thumb.jpg.b742317dd069a89348c0232d56c3a39a.jpgIMG_20210704_205925_823.thumb.jpg.02c72650b375d3fbdeb27d42e0fa73a9.jpgIMG_20210704_205923_963.thumb.jpg.0967da80f7a7525ab1412efdc0d1ddc5.jpg

• Like 5

Looks great!  Where do you source your figures from?  I may have to add some to my HO coaches.

Edited by Kiha66
shadowtiger25
1 hour ago, Kiha66 said:

Looks great!  Where do you source your figures from?  I may have to add some to my HO coaches.

Ebay unpainted HO scale 1:87 or 1:100 seated passengers 

And the gruelling task of hand painting them. Totally worth the effort as they are all not just the same 12 outfits that you see in the prepainted. I later them, skin tone, flesh wash to highlight face (you dont need to do more), then dress them up with clothes and finally hair

• Like 1
Welshbloke

I've been buying bags of cheap painted passengers for some OO carriage builds. They look somewhat disturbing (one recurring figure appears to have curved arms rather than straight bones with elbows) and they're slightly undersized, but after you've glued them in and fixed the roof on you can only see vague shapes:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLFHv1JBh2N/?utm_medium=copy_link

Edited by Welshbloke
Trying to fix the image link...
  • Like 1

2+ weeks ago the payment notification for DF50 came. I added a スハフ14 and a オハフ15 plus some spare coupler, combined and waited for the final payment notification. This came two days later with the coupler out of stock 😞 and I immediately clicked <pay>. With the confirmation the money went to 1999 HS I got notice a few DD16 and カニ22 (power for the split series 20 sleeper train) are restocked. Recombination not possible. I thought take them before they are gone again and maybe for ever or a long time (like KATO EF58 or series 20). Click and PP action. Both parcels were on their way. #1 needed 1day (!) from HS to customs in Germany - then paused. #2 needed 5 days. Custom released #2 after 7 days, #1 still in customs. I prepare the right amount of tax to pay curier. 2 days later in the morning DHL told "in physical delivery", #1 still in customs. O.K. fine I thought. Be patient and start to panic not before 10 or 12 days are gone. Same day, few hours later the postman rang. Twice not for ringing but for parcels (and tax). He had both #2 and #1! Good day. Tracking now showed all dates from #1 that had not been updated since "presented to customs". Better loosing the tracking data than the physical shipment.

Lot of detail part to be attached to the DF50. Still in need of extra coupler for the KATO series 14 coaches to couple 2 *ハフs face to face in mid train.

IMGP6418.JPG

IMGP6422.JPG

IMGP6419.JPG

Edited by al camino
coupler issue amended
  • Like 4

Wow, that Kani 22 was a nice find. I don’t think there’s very many around. 

I’ve been very impressed with my DF50 so far. Very very smooth, quiet mechanism. I wasn’t hugely excited about the KM headlight information but seeing it in the flesh, it does add another level of realism.

• Like 1
Modellbahn JP
8 hours ago, al camino said:

2+ weeks ago the payment notification for DF50 came. I added a スハフ14 and a オハフ15 plus some spare coupler, combined and waited for the final payment notification. This came two days later with the coupler out of stock 😞 and I immediately clicked <pay>. With the confirmation the money went to 1999 HS I got notice a few DD16 and カニ22 (power for the split series 20 sleeper train) are restocked. Recombination not possible. I thought take them before they are gone again and maybe for ever or a long time (like KATO EF58 or series 20). Click and PP action. Both parcels were on their way. #1 needed 1day (!) from HS to customs in Germany - then paused. #2 needed 5 days. Custom released #2 after 7 days, #1 still in customs. I prepare the right amount of tax to pay curier. 2 days later in the morning DHL told "in physical delivery", #1 still in customs. O.K. fine I thought. Be patient and start to panic not before 10 or 12 days are gone. Same day, few hours later the postman rang. Twice not for ringing but for parcels (and tax). He had both #2 and #1! Good day. Tracking now showed all dates from #1 that had not been updated since "presented to customs". Better loosing the tracking data than the physical shipment.

Lot of detail part to be attached to the DF50. Still in need of extra coupler for the KATO series 14 coaches to couple 2 *ハフs face to face in mid train.

IMGP6418.JPG

IMGP6422.JPG

IMGP6419.JPG

Is kani 22 tramway?

Modellbahn JP

@al camino

That sounds good and it's a good timing.

I thought It looked nice when I've seen Tramway's series 20 sleeper.

I'm looking forward to golden age Asakaze because I took a photo at Totsuka in 1976.

It's a shame that Narone 20 was withdrawn.

86699607_187665612508932_8632386740243398656_n.thumb.jpg.6bf7c19259ea10b75ff37c159ebba73c.jpg

• Like 5