What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

On 12/28/2020 at 6:10 PM, shadowtiger25 said:

Yes, that's it. It does appear that it was factory, and makes me wonder what the prototype went threw over its life.

The owner originally thought it was German as apparently there was one similar before finding out that it was chinse

He may have confused it with the BR61 class streamlined tank engine.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:DRG_Class_61?uselang=de

Cheers,

Mark.

shadowtiger25
16 hours ago, marknewton said:

I understand now. It's an appropriate description for one of the young blokes at work. When he found out I modelled JNR he started jabbering at me about anime, cosplay, maid cafes, Pokémon and other inconsequential BS. I greatly disappointed him when I explained that I was only interested in the trains and nothing else about Japan. Which isn't true at all, but I really didn't want to continue the conversation any further. 

I run in to this as well most of the time  when I mention Japanese trains

I like japanese culture, and I watch some anime if its a good story, simply because I like good stories.

However there are so many that see a more commercial side of Japan as its culture and that just down right annoys me.

And I hate how my family thinks that I am one of these kinds of people and "worry" about an unhealthy obsession with another country because they equate my hobby with what crazy "news" stories they see about weebs. When frankly it's just I like the blend of styles Japanese steam trains have, to me its a nice blend of US and British elements combined in a way I find visually appealing. Which comes from the fact that I like US and British trains, and Japan had influences from both during the development of its railroads. 

• Like 1
shadowtiger25
17 hours ago, marknewton said:

He may have confused it with the BR61 class streamlined tank engine.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:DRG_Class_61?uselang=de

Cheers,

Mark.. 

He might have, or have been planing a kit bash. I think I remember him saying that he received it from a friend. Either way I dont really want to associate with him as he was VERY in to nazi trains and that's about the farthest away from my interests as you can get

• Like 1

Got this interesting little gem in the mail. It's an older Tenshodo ED42, minus a couple parts.

1231202001a.jpg

1231201959a.jpg

1231201959.jpg

1231202000.jpg

1231202000a.jpg

1231202000b.jpg

1231202001.jpg

Not a clue what I'm going to do with it, nor where I will ever find the replacement number boards, but it's cool.

It runs very well and is very quiet for a brass loco. Not much on the drietrain, though, as it seems to be a vertical motour that goes right to the drive axle.

It will probably find use either as a shunter or pulling small freight trains, as I don't have any gnarly grades to climb, let alone three more of them for a proper team.

Since taking those pictures, I've dusted it so it no longer has a grey hue and have cleaned the wheels. Once I can figure out how tog et into it, it'll get a full servicing before I start trying to plan out a DCC conversion.

Edited by GDorsett
  • Like 4

Judging by the horn, bell bracket and Adlake class lamps, the previous owner was attempting to "Americanise" the ED42. But still a nice find. 

Cheers,

Mark.

2 hours ago, marknewton said:

Judging by the horn, bell bracket and Adlake class lamps, the previous owner was attempting to "Americanise" the ED42. But still a nice find. 

Cheers,

Mark.

Oh, so that's why it looks strange to me. Now I must decide if I want to keep those or not.

21 hours ago, GDorsett said:

Got this interesting little gem in the mail. It's an older Tenshodo ED42, minus a couple parts.

Not a clue what I'm going to do with it, nor where I will ever find the replacement number boards, but it's cool.

Wow, nice find!  I've always loved those little siderod banking locos.  If you have the Kiha 82 set, you can run it with that as they both ran on usui pass before the shin-etsu line was electrified.  Any two axle side freight stock is also fair game.  The American headlight it has actually looks fairly close to the original headlights those units ran with, I'd leave it on until you find a closer match.

Edited by Kiha66
On 1/2/2021 at 12:59 PM, roadstar_na6 said:

I'm not removing the headlights. They're lit and half directional. I will probably replace the old bulbs with LEDs, if I can though.

On 1/2/2021 at 1:11 PM, Kiha66 said:

Wow, nice find!  I've always loved those little siderod banking locos.  If you have the Kiha 82 set, you can run it with that as they both ran on usui pass before the shin-etsu line was electrified.  Any two axle side freight stock is also fair game.  The American headlight it has actually looks fairly close to the original headlights those units ran with, I'd leave it on until you find a closer match.

Unfortunately, my KiHa fleet is very limited right now. Four car train of one 58, two 65s, and an unpowered express trailer car. Eventually I'll get more, but that's a ways out.

As for freight cars, I have 14 assorted WaMus I can run. Most of them are the modern 380000s, but they're still four wheel stock. And brass is still out of my realm of mechanical working and modification comfort range. Since those headlights are close enough and I have stumped close to ten folks so far as to what this is, I seriously doubt that anyone will notice or care and they're staying on the model.

• Like 1

Parcel for birthday just arrived!

Will open it tonight with candle light and some red wine (matching to grape colored OHA and OHAYUNI 61).

The KUMORU145 + KURU144 now is here also!

And some 3 axle brass to heat up my soldering torch.

Edited by al camino
typo as usual
  • Like 2

Next parcel just arrived - unexpected early.

Wednesday noon arrived in Frankfurt, customs on Thursday and delivery today 1 hour before high noon.

Now checking the new JR 485-489 by Tomix 5-car set HO-9059.

Close coupler of both ends match perfectly to the EF63 dual coupler.

Now I would like to get Hands on the unmotorized half of the HO-9060 set.

Then the 7 car could be hauled by the EF63.

Anyone out there to share a HO-9060?

And the トムフ1 brass kit came together with my last one of the series 61 by Tramway.

IMGP6189.JPG

IMGP6190.JPG

IMGP6193.JPG

Edited by al camino
typo
  • Like 5
On 1/8/2021 at 1:12 PM, al camino said:

Parcel for birthday just arrived!

Will open it tonight with candle light and some red wine (matching to grape colored OHA and OHAYUNI 61).

The KUMORU145 + KURU144 now is here also!

And some 3 axle brass to heat up my soldering torch.

Surprised by the new shipment I forgot to amend some pics to my previous mail.

But now after regaining power by the content of expected parcel I'll do so.

Main item: I was so happy to find the grafik.png.a8011ec1f858208b7f5fa48f74604fc9.png to complete my postal & baggage train.

The other items had been noted in mail before.

IMGP6168.JPG

IMGP6169.JPG

IMGP6174a.JPG

IMGP6175.JPG

Edited by al camino
amended container height detail
  • Like 4
On 1/2/2021 at 7:34 AM, GDorsett said:

I recently bought some etched brass number plates on Yahoo Auctions, and they included these:

spacer.png

If you'd like them you're welcome to them. 

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 6
22 hours ago, marknewton said:

I recently bought some etched brass number plates on Yahoo Auctions, and they included these:

spacer.png

If you'd like them you're welcome to them. 

Cheers,

Mark.

Oh no...

I'll send you a message.

On a different note, this dinky little GE 44 Tonner arrived today.

0119212017.jpg

0119212017a.jpg

0119212017b.jpg

Now, before someone attacks me for putting this American model in the JP section, allow me to remind you that this thing existed: 

a0254664_20475449.jpg

The DD12, which was a GE 44Tonner based locomotive brought to Japan by the US Army and then later leased and eventually sold to JNR.

It looks like the main things I'll have to do is remove the skirts, lower the cab, and put some sort of plating over the trucks to "make them bigger" and it'll look the part. And of course new handrails.

• Like 7

That's going to be an interesting project. I think I have 1/80th scale drawings for the DD12, I'll see if I can find them for you.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Thanks 1
On 1/21/2021 at 6:20 AM, marknewton said:

That's going to be an interesting project. I think I have 1/80th scale drawings for the DD12, I'll see if I can find them for you.

Cheers,

Mark.

I'd much appreciate it!

On 1/21/2021 at 12:23 PM, Jaco3011 said:

I have very little idea how to do such conversion. Looks easy tho.

It looks easy, but who knows untill it's started. The main things that I see that need to happen is the remove the skirts below the cab and lower the whole cab. Other than that, it'll mostly be paint and new railings since I'm not sure if I can modify the trucks to make they correct or not.

• Like 1

Two cabeese arrived from RG Rokko, I'm very impressed with their packaging and service.  

20210131_142726.thumb.jpg.e95e969d7c244ae828fe504b5f8afde8.jpg

A surprise from a local club member, apparently his friend worked for Honda in japan durring the 70s and 80s and would occasionally pick up some models from the local hobby store.  He very kindly gave me this ki 100 and boxcab he found in the collection, anyone have an idea of what they might be?   I'd love to add kadees to the plow but I'm not sure how to take the floor out to access the nut for the coupler.

20210131_142822.thumb.jpg.22548736669ec6bfa634f87183ef75ce.jpg

• Like 7
7 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Two cabeese arrived from RG Rokko, I'm very impressed with their packaging and service.  

20210131_142726.thumb.jpg.e95e969d7c244ae828fe504b5f8afde8.jpg

A surprise from a local club member, apparently his friend worked for Honda in japan durring the 70s and 80s and would occasionally pick up some models from the local hobby store.  He very kindly gave me this ki 100 and boxcab he found in the collection, anyone have an idea of what they might be?   I'd love to add kadees to the plow but I'm not sure how to take the floor out to access the nut for the coupler.

I have an idea of what they might be. I'm pretty srue those are called "trains" and the one on the right clears snow.

Joking aside, I'm almost certain the boxcab is fictional. A lot of the old metal trains seemed to be. The plow looks suspiciously like a Russel unit. Were those built using a similar design due to license or just because it's a good design?

• Haha 3
On 2/4/2021 at 5:31 AM, Kiha66 said:

The little boxcab loco is a Kawai model. Not so sure about the snowplough, as both Kawai and TER made models of them. Nice of your mate to give them to you! 🙂

Cheers,

Mark.

• Thanks 1
23 hours ago, GDorsett said:

The plow looks suspiciously like a Russel unit. Were those built using a similar design due to license or just because it's a good design?

The JGR imported a Russell snowplough in 1911. This became the pattern for a group of ploughs built in the railway workshops, but I don't know if they had a license. Even today, the generic term for wedge snowploughs on Japanese railways is "Russell".

Cheers,

Mark.

• Thanks 1

Little late posting this, but here's my full length E5 in my hands almost a full year after I purchased it!

0202211725.jpg

0202211727.jpg

0202211733.jpg

0202211732.jpg

0202211727a.jpg

0202211733a.jpg

0202211732b.jpg

0202211728.jpg

0202211739.jpg

And now, I must ask for help:

Is there a coupler that is compatible with the one on this model that I can mount on a regular locomotive or will I need to order an extra coupler module and hack it apart?

• Like 4
16 hours ago, GDorsett said:

Is there a coupler that is compatible with the one on this model that I can mount on a regular locomotive or will I need to order an extra coupler module and hack it apart?

Which one does this model have? Can you take a picture?