What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

Nick, reading your post made me realise that I don't really think of activities like archery or sailing as sports, but I suppose that's what they are. I've never tried archery, but I've spent a fair bit of time on the water, though more in kayaks than sailing. Also had a few trips firing on steamboats, too! And I've done a bit of horse riding in my younger days. My whole family do a lot of bike riding. We're surrounded by national park here in Waterfall, and there's some great places to ride, as well as the daily trip to and from school with Harry.

I should have been more specific - from the sounds of it football in Brazil is as hard to avoid as it is here. But now it's summer, football is replaced by cricket, which I find just as mind-numbingly pointless. The same goes for rugby and netball.

I'm sorry to hear you're out of work, I hope that's only a short-term situation. One other thing, what's HEMA?

Jeff, you make a couple of very good points, too. The sorts of activities that Nick and I enjoy are a world away from sitting in front of the TV, half-pissed and screaming like an idiot. Sports fandom is very polarising, I think it's one of the main reasons I have no interest in being a follower. When Sydney hosted the Olympics back in 2000 my wife and I were living in Homebush, about a 10 minute walk from the main venue. I found the whole nationalistic "Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi!" so much of a turnoff I ignored the whole thing. Also there's a big part of me that just couldn't give a monkey's how fast someone can run or how high they can jump.

All the best,

Mark.

Mark,

HEMA = Historical European Martial Arts - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_European_martial_arts - basically modern reenaction of European medieval martial arts disciplines like two-hand swordfighting or quarterstaff fencing. Sounds fun... :-)

Ball games just don't square up with me...barring, maybe, rugby. I once got invited to join the university rugby team (it's an up and coming game here in Brazil, especially at university level), if only on the (spurious) grounds that since I was British I could offer them advice... :-)

I too did a bit of kayaking, usually together with my father when we went on family holidays by the sea. But any serious water-sports would mean that I'll have to come to grips with the fact that I don't know how to swim.

I agree about fandom and "spur of the moment" nationalism. When Brazil was chosen to host the World Cup I was very much against, knowing what that would mean - corruption and misuse of public funds (and sooner said than done...). And when Brazil lost against Germany I was part of the great minority (namely those who read a newspaper) who actually relished it, as what is good for the team is not necessarily the best for the country...

Cheers NB

Edited by Nick_Burman
  • Like 1

I had every intention of not even looking at JAUCE, let alone bidding on anything, as I've pre-ordered a number of models from Keitaro, and I've also agreed to buy some models from one of our Australian members who is thinning out his collection. My modelling budget will only stretch so far.

BUT - ever since I first became interested in modelling Japanese railways I've always wanted a Tomix ED75. Of all the JNR electric locos, they're the ones I think are the most appealing. There must be a lot of other people who think so too, as every time I've seen one come up on JAUCE they attract a frenzy of bidding and sell for prices that have been well beyond what I was prepared to pay.

So when one was listed late yesterday at a "buy it now" price I considered quite reasonable I clicked the button, and now I have the red AC motor I've always wanted. When it arrives I'll post some happy snaps. :)

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton

The Z scale Marui E231-0 Series Sobu Line set that I ordered from HLJ in their Black Friday sale arrived today. So far I've only run the power car, but I am impressed with the quality and the detail. I'm also impressed with the service!

• Like 1

They're a very nice loco too, here's mine:

9023418721_42be6d4bf4_c.jpg

I bought this a while back, when I didn't think I'd ever get an ED75. I also have a Tramway EF70:

9536179826_a003c49399_c.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

I had every intention of not even looking at JAUCE, let alone bidding on anything, as I've pre-ordered a number of models from Keitaro, and I've also agreed to buy some models from one of our Australian members who is thinning out his collection. My modelling budget will only stretch so far.

BUT - ever since I first became interested in modelling Japanese railways I've always wanted a Tomix ED75. Of all the JNR electric locos, they're the ones I think are the most appealing. There must be a lot of other people who think so too, as every time I've seen one come up on JAUCE they attract a frenzy of bidding and sell for prices that have been well beyond what I was prepared to pay.

So when one was listed late yesterday at a "buy it now" price I considered quite reasonable I clicked the button, and now I have the red AC motor I've always wanted. When it arrives I'll post some happy snaps. :)

Cheers,

Mark.

So now that you have got your AC motor, you can finish that loco you are kitbashing as an Oigawa machine... :-)

Cheers NB

• Like 1

The Z scale Marui E231-0 Series Sobu Line set that I ordered from HLJ in their Black Friday sale arrived today. So far I've only run the power car, but I am impressed with the quality and the detail. I'm also impressed with the service!

Ordered two of them currently stored on personal warehouse at HLJ

So now that you have got your AC motor, you can finish that loco you are kitbashing as an Oigawa machine... :-) NB

You're right Nick, no excuses now! :)

Cheers,

Mark.

Five minutes before I was due to leave home for work our friendly parcel delivery man turned up at my front door with a big box from Japan. The Kato E5 that I bought for my son's Xmas present has arrived! :)

I didn't have time to open the box, that'll have to wait until I'm finished work tonight. I'm looking forward to that, but not as much as seeing Harry's reaction on Xmas morning when he opens the box...

I've already got my presents though. Last Saturday I visited one of our forum members who also lives in Sydney, Andrew Collier. I had a great time seeing meeting his family, seeing his gorgeous VR layout in operation, as well as his beautiful kit bashed and scratchbuilt locos and rolling stock. But my main reason for the visit was to collect the various JNR models that Andrew has sold to me. He wanted them to go to a good home, and I intend to provide them with just that. And I should add that photos don't really do justice to the quality of his work. His freight wagons really put mine in the shade!

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton

You reckon? I'm going to sneak off to the club tomorrow night to give it a test run and see that it all works. No fun at all... :)

Cheers,

Mark

You reckon? I'm going to sneak off to the club tomorrow night to give it a test run and see that it all works. No fun at all... :)

Cheers,

Mark

Ah, it's a tough assignment, but someone's go to do it.

• Like 1

After I got home from work tonight I had a quick feed then opened up the boxes containing the Kato E5. Jeez, I knew they were big but I didn't realise just how big they were! And a 10 car train is long! The only place I could couple it all together to have a decent look at it was the windowsill in my kitchen. So apologies for the poor quality photos, but here it is:

15427145134_e3a6a33d80_h.jpg

15862078728_d74c2d19f6_o.jpg

Now I really can't wait for Christmas morning!

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 5

Totally Awesome Sauce!!!

The guys at the club are going to be like a bunch of 12 year olds as well when this hits the tracks!

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1
Davo Dentetsu

After I got home from work tonight I had a quick feed then opened up the boxes containing the Kato E5. Jeez, I knew they were big but I didn't realise just how big they were! And a 10 car train is long! The only place I could couple it all together to have a decent look at it was the windowsill in my kitchen. So apologies for the poor quality photos, but here it is:Cheers,

Mark.

I've got a feeling you could set up the whole thing in your wallet, now there's a lot more space in it!  :O

• Like 1

Hi Guys!

I'm New here. I started now collection the Japanes railroad vehicle now. Mark i have a question for you: how long this Beautifull lady?

Some unexpected cash came my way over Christmas, so with the blessing of my wife I did a bit of shopping on Yahoo Japan and scored one each of these:

10258459a3.jpg

Tomix EF62

10049492a2.jpg

Tomix ED76

Tomorrow night we'll be heading down to the club to give the E5 a run. I'll be sure to take some video of the event and post a report. Needless to say, Harry is very excited at the prospect! :)

All the best for 2015.

Mark.

• Like 3

Yes please lots of Picts and videos! Want to see that ear to ear grin on Harry! Bet he will be walking 9 feet tall around the club with that E5!

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1
Claude_Dreyfus

Some unexpected cash came my way over Christmas, so with the blessing of my wife I did a bit of shopping on Yahoo Japan and scored one each of these:

10258459a3.jpg

Tomix EF62

10049492a2.jpg

Tomix ED76

Seriously tasty!

• Like 1

Seriously tasty!

Yes those look great.  From the EF62 wikipedia page:

While high adhesion was clearly an important requirement, the locos had to be designed with a low axle load (16 t, compared to 18 t for the EF63s) allowing them to be used on other sections of the Shinetsu Main Line with stricter axle-load restrictions. The need to reduce overall weight was one reason behind the decision to use the unique Co-Co wheel arrangement rather than the more commonly used Bo-Bo-Bo arrangement.

Is less steel needed overall for a Co-Co configuration as opposed to a Bo-Bo-Bo configuration?  All else being equal, x amount of weight must be divided over 12 wheels the same way right?

• Like 1

I can see how a Co-Co loco would be lighter than a comparable Bo-Bo-Bo. You'd save weight by only having two body bolsters as opposed to three, and the same would apply to the trucks/bogies - two bolsters instead of three. The structure of the carbody would be simpler and lighter too, as you wouldn't have to allow for the extra forces generated by the centre bogie.

Cheers,

Mark.