What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

The Hayakawa through truss bridge that shows up in a lot of the Hakone Tozan photos, or something inspired by it:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tozan_ALLEGRA_St.Moritz_Hayakawa_Bridge.jpg

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Hakone-Tozan-Hayakawa-Bridge.jpg

Sir Maddog did a great module with a similar scene, and it's always stuck with me.  I might do it with a deck girder like you used for better photo angles.

Edited by Ken Ford
  • Like 2

Okay, that bridge. Spectacular or what? I think whatever type of bridge you used it would look impressive, but a deck girder would certainly make photography easier.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

Is anyone else here in the US taking obscene advantage of the favorable exchange rate to pick up models that they've wanted? I've been waffling about getting a Kato HO DE10 for over a year, but the current rate made it irresistible - Nariichi-san to the rescue.

• Like 2

You're on the slippery slope now, Ken. I bet you'll find it hard to stop at just that one loco! :)

If you're planning on putting in a decoder, can I suggest that you remove the shell and fit it first. Then apply the detail parts and numbers while the shell is still separate from the chassis. From experience with my three DE10s it's much easier that way.

Cheers,

Mark.

Mark, I'll do just that - I saw an earlier thread where you mentioned it has a standard eight pin DCC plug.  The photos in the thread were gone, but your description of how to open the locomotive up is still very helpful.

A DE10 without freight cars is silly so I just ordered a Kato Hoki2200 grain hopper to see how I like it. I have a thing for grain hoppers and have a large fleet of them in US HO.  I'm thinking a small Inglenook or tuning fork switching layout with an industry that receives grain could be fun to do.

Edited by Ken Ford
  • Like 1

Yeah, definitely on the slope now! :)

I can send you those pictures of the DE10 in bits,  or repost them if you need them. 

As for the Hoki2200, they're a very nice model. I have nine of them now, with three more on the way from Japan. They feature roller bearing end caps on the axles that rotate. They look great when the models are running. They also have alternate loading hatches included in the detail sprues.

I haven't seen many photos of bulk grain handling facilities on Japanese railways, so that's a good reason to do a bit of research. If I find anything I'll post it here.

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 1

Using the seach term "レールを務め穀物サイロ" - rail served grain silo, I found some interesting stuff right away. Have a look at the images on this blog for starters:

http://hama80s.exblog.jp/m2014-10-01/

The maps show a number of locations that could form the basis of simple switching layouts

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 3

Yeah, definitely on the slope now! :)

I can send you those pictures of the DE10 in bits,  or repost them if you need them. 

As for the Hoki2200, they're a very nice model. I have nine of them now, with three more on the way from Japan. They feature roller bearing end caps on the axles that rotate. They look great when the models are running. They also have alternate loading hatches included in the detail sprues.

I haven't seen many photos of bulk grain handling facilities on Japanese railways, so that's a good reason to do a bit of research. If I find anything I'll post it here.

All the best,

Mark.

Mark, the DE10 pics would be greatly appreciated. Can they be added back to the original thread?

I'm really looking forward to seeing the Hoki2200 - all the photos I've found online make it look fantastic. And speaking of the slope - six Wamu80000s are on the way too.

Stop me, please.

• Like 1

Ken, I've sent you a reply via PM.

As for stopping you, I think it's a bit late for that! :) I'm a bit like you with respect to covered hoppers, they've long been my favourite type of freight car. Back when I used to model US railroads I had a horde of ConCor 40' Airslides that I detailed and painted in various different schemes. They're the one thing I really miss...

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply and advice, Mark.

I've often been tempted to give Australian modeling a try - one of the guys over here has been doing grain operations in 1970s NSW, it's always appealed to me.  If it's grain on rail, I'm probably interested.

http://northofnarrabri.blogspot.com/

Too many irons in the fire to dabble with a pair of 48 Class locos and a string of bogey wheat wagons!

Thanks for the reply and advice, Mark.

I've often been tempted to give Australian modeling a try - one of the guys over here has been doing grain operations in 1970s NSW, it's always appealed to me.  If it's grain on rail, I'm probably interested.

http://northofnarrabri.blogspot.com/

Too many irons in the fire to dabble with a pair of 48 Class locos and a string of bogey wheat wagons!

I too considered going Australian...until I saw the ticket and compared it with Japanese offers. Ouch.

Cheers NB

And six Kato Wamu80000s arrived today. These are very nice - I assume the numbering is dry transfer and not wet decals? It looks like Kadees will drop right in.

• Like 1

Yes to both questions Ken. When I apply dry transfers I cut the required number/lettering out of the sheet and hold it in place on the model with Scotch-brand magic tape to prevent it from moving while it's being rubbed down. I use an old Letraset burnishing tool for large transfers, and a neat little burnishing tool from HobbySearch for smaller transfers.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2

I'm really looking forward to seeing the Hoki2200 - all the photos I've found online make it look fantastic.

I think they're a very nice model. The only improvement I think they need is a light spray of dullcote to kill the slight plastic sheen they have, and a bit of light weathering on the trucks and wheels. But don't overdo it. Japan is the only place where I've seen freight cars being put through the washplant! :)

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

The photos of freight cars I've been finding do support that, Mark - very tidy compared to freight stock here.  And no graffiti!

Thanks for the confirmation that they are dry transfers. 

I changed one of the Wamus to Kadee 158s this morning, they dropped right in but are low.  I'll wait and see what height the DE10s (yes, plural - ^%$# JAUCE) come out to before I make any changes.  I always cut off my hoses and use a pick for uncoupling, so what height they come out to is immaterial so long as they are consistent across all my JP stock.

miyakoji, let me see what I can do about pics this weekend.

• Like 1

Yes to both questions Ken. When I apply dry transfers I cut the required number/lettering out of the sheet and hold it in place on the model with Scotch-brand magic tape to prevent it from moving while it's being rubbed down. I use an old Letraset burnishing tool for large transfers, and a neat little burnishing tool from HobbySearch for smaller transfers.

Cheers,

Mark.

Gosh Mark, you read my mind - I was thinking about doing that on my models. I have tried applying transfers freehand and the results usually are disastrous. Now that you've mentioned his method I must dust off one of my Tramway tank cars and redo the numbering - your way...

Cheers NB

• Like 2