What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

Not Japanese, but in H0 (1:87 scale):

post-638-0-26049300-1437957196_thumb.jpg

Atlas Editions GVB Amsterdam tram car 465. I couldn't let it pass for the price I could get it for.

• Like 1

Received from ModelTrainPlus a Rokuhan DD51 (Cold District Type New Renewed Design) and a PRMLOCO set of two 4-axle bulk wagons.

Claude_Dreyfus

Neither ordered or posted, but I took delivery of this on Thursday...

Overall_zpsygthdspq.jpg

It was constructed about 25 years ago by my late father. He left it to his club, who completed it. Quite by chance I met a member of that club for the first time in 20 years, about 6 months ago. He asked me if I was interested...so here we are!

It came with a little bit of stock also.

Busy_zpsgiqleyqw.jpg

Only the mallet is operational at the moment - the loco in the foreground has a broken side rod. On the face of it, all quite repairable.

• Like 8

My most recent purchases have some loco-hauled passenger cars. From the Tomix range I bought four 10 series coaches and an Oyu10 mail van. From Tenshodo I bought a Suyu13 Mail van and an Oro11 green car. And from Kato I got a six-car set of series 12 coaches.

I was surprised by how old the Kato series 12 cars are, they were first released back in the late 1980s. In spite of their age they're very nice models.

I'll post some photos once I'm back at home.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

I just bought a Kato HO Unitrack Basic Oval Track Set and yet I don't have any HO trains.  Actually I do but will have to dig them up but they are not Japanese.  Oh man, what am I getting myself into here - this will impact my n scale budget I think.

I keep being tempted by the HO Unitrack too. Most of my HO stock is Marklin and I have plenty of track for that, but I also have a few 2-rail OO scale items I've picked up on impulse over the years and have nowhere to run...

It's been an Aussie week. I found two more Hoki2200s and another pair of Wamu80000s on Australian eBay, plus a Yo8000 from an Australian retail seller. All are enroute now.

• Like 1

Ever since I became interested in modelling Japanese railways I've been in love with the A8 class 2-4-2T tank engines. Owned by the IGR and numerous private railways they started out life as elegant little engines of very British appearance. Later in life many of them had airbrake equipment fitted, and some survived in service until the the end of steam with private lines. I've collected drawings for the different variants, and considered either scratchbuilding one or kitbashing one from a British model with a similar chassis. Failing that I've bid on a couple of Sango kits being auctioned, but never managed to get one.

BUT then I got lucky with an auction for an assembled and painted Sango model:

22852251043_0c6fb27786_b.jpg

23453256196_8b4f29e235_o.jpg

It needs a little bit of work to correct some minor flaws, but it runs beautifully. Whoever built it did a very nice job - and it cost less than some of the unbuilt kits I'd bid on! I have to decide whether to add the various bits and pieces associated with airbrakes, or just finish it as it's prototype looked in it's final years:

900-120+%E8%A3%9C%E6%AD%A3img915.jpg

Either way, I'm very pleased to finally have a model of my favourite type of Japanese steamer.

As well as the A8, I also scored a Tenshodo model of a KiHa11 railcar. I don't really know why I find these cars so appealing as they're angular and awkward looking things, but there's no accounting for taste...

23453258666_5c6ef98859_c.jpg

23453260046_8fd16992cb_c.jpg

And I've made some progress on the module as well, adding the bridge abutments and wing walls. The abutments are balsa wood, and the wing walls are 80thou styrene sheet.

And here's a view of another recent purchase, a Tomix ED76.

23479416055_8d8539a50d_c.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 6

The undercarriage detail on the KIHA11 looks great.  Are those 4 enclosures behind the front truck separate parts?  Snowplow looks good too.

The middle truck on the ED76 is interesting.  This is the same as on a DD51 in that the load on it could be adjusted, isn't it?  How much use do you think JR gets out of this capability?  Are there locos outside of Japan that have this?

All of the underbody details on the KiHa11 are separate parts. The underframe itself is a diecast metal part, and all of the deatils are plastic mouldings. You get two types of snowplough to attach, the V-shaped ones that I've used or the single-blade diagonal type. I'm going to use these on another railcar model I have.

The ED76 does have the same type of middle truck as a DD51, but I honestly have no idea how useful that feature is. If the adjustment of the load can be made by the loco crew it would probably be used more often than if it had to be adjusted by the fitters in a depot or workshop. If it's crew controlled then there'd be training and qualification to use that feature, and I'd assume there'd need to be documentation to inform the crew what load setting was required for a particular line or area, so it would also require specific route knowledge.

As for locos outside of Japan with this feature, I can't think of any offhand. It seems to be unique to JNR. The only locos I can think of that had a similar capability were the China Railway QJ 2-10-2s. On some series of these engines the driver could reduce the weight on the leading and trailing trucks to increase the weight on the coupled wheels to help them start heavy trains.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 1

The middle truck on the ED76 is interesting. This is the same as on a DD51 in that the load on it could be adjusted, isn't it? How much use do you think JR gets out of this capability? Are there locos outside of Japan that have this?

Two good examples are the ancient hungarian class 22 (later class 275) 1-B-1 branchline steam locomotives, with a driver adjustable front and back wheels to be usable on very low axle load lines (below 10t). There were some routes where the load had to be shifted several times during a single trip to avoid problems on certain bridges and weaker sections, but still be able to get the train up any inclines. Another good one is some of the newer american A1A - A1A locomotives (like the GE ES44C4), where the middle axle is automatically adjusted to provide a balance between traction and axle loading. This feature is great, except when the computer decides to temporarly increase traction beyond the allowed maximal load on a line with less forgiving rails.

If the wheels/bogies are shop adjusted, then that means each locomoive gets a route availability based on the actual setting and they get assigned to each route based on that. If it's driver adjustable, but only while standing still, then this availability can be set before departure, while on the fly adjustable ones can be used dynamically.

• Like 1
Claude_Dreyfus

My latest arrival, courtesy of the for sale section on here. Fresh from Canada, the latest addition to the Dreyfus stud poses in the somewhat unfamiliar surroundings of 1920s Bavaria. 

EF510_zpskgpwsapj.jpg

Looks good, and runs beautifully.

Also a recent arrival, a very naughty Roco DR class 01.

01504_zpslht23ofv.jpg

• Like 1

My postie delivered a quartet of EndoPrus Wamu 70000 covered vans today. The dry transfer sheets for the markings include some orange stripes that are to be applied to the body on either side of the doors. What do these stripes indicate?

Cheers,

Mark.

The dry transfer sheets for the markings include some orange stripes that are to be applied to the body on either side of the doors. What do these stripes indicate?

Those are to indicate vans used in express services.  Likely there are also dry transfers with the characters for "express" (急行) included, to be applied to the doors.

• Like 1

It's been an Aussie week. I found two more Hoki2200s and another pair of Wamu80000s on Australian eBay, plus a Yo8000 from an Australian retail seller. All are enroute now.

Well, now I'm annoyed. The seller of the Hokis and Wamus took my money and said they had shipped but never provided tracking. He also has ignored contact attempts. Today he refunded my money. Dammit, I don't want a refund - I want my stinkin' Hokis!

I've been searching for images on ワム70000 急行 and just ワム 急行; loads of pictures of the models, few of the prototype.  Were these rare?  This is about the best I've found, and it's an artist's rendering: http://totskasha.10.pro.tok2.com/101_kokutetsu_kasha/wamu70000.htm

Found some:

http://www.lok.jp/prototyp/freight/ody_02_a.htm

http://mu3rail.blog.so-net.ne.jp/upload/detail/05-6210shun06-001-392b4.jpg.html

It could be the era that these ran was before most rail fans could afford cameras, and those that could would point them at the passenger trains. Only in the last ten or fifteen years or so has interest picked up in freight trains.

• Like 2

Bachmann Thomas, Annie, and Clarabel for my little daughter.  Finally a use for the Kato HO Unitrack Set I bought recently. 

post-2776-0-93779900-1454394048_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-79442700-1454394083_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-48836000-1454394304_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hi,
A lot of stuff arrived those days, first locomotive that Îve alrady finished, the EF 65-1000 from Kato, a wonderfull model!!!

post-1810-0-61656900-1456423992_thumb.jpg

See you

Nicolas

Edited by bnicolas1987
  • Like 1
Claude_Dreyfus

Oooooh!!! Very nice.

My latest arrivals are not a loco, or Japanese, but a set of German coaches...

22%20amp%20Doppelstock_zpsriehvgip.jpg

Behold a set of epoch 3 Piko Doppelstock. The loco is a Fleischmann class 22, fitted with an Uhlenbrock sound chip. Heaven!

• Like 4

No photos yet, but I've got two Kato Kiha80s on the way. As well as those there's also a Kato D51. Yes, another one. :)

Cheers,

Mark.