What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

I was wondering just now - do the collectors and modellers in Australia also collect some of the Australian models?

Hi John,

I only have a few items which I intend to run somehow/where so am probably well south of being a collector, but my primary modelling is Australian (Victorian Railways 1925-35). It's mostly scratchbuilt so I model/operate rather than collect.

Cheers, Andrew

• Like 1
On it's way to me from an eBay seller in Japan:

(I don't normally keep the boxes that my models came in, but I think I'll make an exception in this case - that Hankyu label looks rather nice!)

Once the thing arrives, I have to decide - do I go with my original plan to convert the model to a D51, or do I leave it as a D61, which I believe only ran in Hokkaido?

Either way, I'm happy to finally have a big eight-coupled JNR loco!  :)

Cheers,

Mark.

Beautiful model Mark, good purchase.

Cheers, Andrew

• Like 1
my primary modelling is Australian (Victorian Railways 1925-35). It's mostly scratchbuilt so I model/operate rather than collect.

The penny drops at last! Your layout was featured recently in AMRM. I don't know why I didn't make the connection sooner.  :icon_scratch:

And what a gorgeous layout it is. I was very impressed by both your choice of subject, and the way you've captured the atmosphere of inner city Melbourne. When we used to go there on family holidays in the late 60s-early 70s the place still looked a lot like your model.

All the best,

Mark.

Beautiful model Mark, good purchase.

Thanks Andrew, I think it is too. Although I've decided not to attempt converting it into a D51, I'm still going to do some remedial work on it. It currently has a massive and rather noisy open-frame motor, which I'm going to replace with a Portescap motor and gearbox. While I have it apart I want to add brakeshoes and foundation rigging, and refine some of the other detail as well.

Cheers,

Mark.

The penny drops at last! Your layout was featured recently in AMRM. I don't know why I didn't make the connection sooner.  :icon_scratch:

And what a gorgeous layout it is. I was very impressed by both your choice of subject, and the way you've captured the atmosphere of inner city Melbourne. When we used to go there on family holidays in the late 60s-early 70s the place still looked a lot like your model.

All the best,

Mark.

Thanks for the kind compliments Mark, very kind. Always good to hear it passes muster with people that know the area the layout is based on also. :)

Cheers, Andrew

• Like 1
John P Boogerd

I have recently seen some very nice Australian models in Continental Modeller and that's why I was wondering.  Thanks for the responses, guys.

G'day John,

These days there's a lot of very nice Australian models on the market, and if I was starting out in the hobby now I might be tempted to model the NSW railway in some form. The only problem with doing that is that I've worked for the railway here since 1975, and rightly or wrongly I don't find it as interesting as the railways of Japan. Familiarity breeds contempt, or at least disinterest, perhaps?

But having said that, I am going to get a 48 class from Powerline to run on our club layout "Waterfall".

http://www.imra.org.au/waterfall_.html

Again, it's a class of loco I've worked, and I still see them going by most days. (Waterfall is where I live, and it's my home depot!)

530281_310965332315392_500639476_n.jpg

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 1

Agree to an extent Mark, while I live in Sydney I model VR as it's what I grew up with. The other turn-off with NSWGR is it has been done so many times before - it is heavily and well modelled, there's not too much that hasn't been done! However you're right also, there are some beautiful models being produced in Australia, very tempting but my budget doesn't allow for much experimentation.

One of the attractions of Japanese HO is the comparatively small extent of modelling it. Still to see whether my dipping toe in water yields something more. A few models is one thing, a diorama or layout another.

Cheers, Andrew

Edited by Gora
  • Like 1

Hi,

Hokutosei carriages and locomotive ordered and payed today, fotos when them arrive.

See you.

Nicolas

Edited by bnicolas1987
...The other turn-off with NSWGR is it has been done so many times before - it is heavily and well modelled, there's not too much that hasn't been done!...

Perhaps the one thing I haven't seen modelled is an urban/inner city scene like yours. Which is a pity, as there were many interesting and very modelable locations around Sydney, especially on the Metropolitan Goods lines. I know that on the exhibition circuit there's Brunswick Park and the layout based on Mungo Scott's at Summer Hill, but I don't think either of these layouts really capture the atmosphere of their prototypes.

Cheers,

Mark.

The postie arrived today with a parcel from JAUCE, containing a "new old stock" Kato C56. Yes, I know I have one already, but I wanted another, so I could double-head when the mood strikes me. 

But I really need some help with the new model, and the one I already own. For the life of me I CANNOT work out how to dismantle the thing so that I can add a decoder. The C56 is even more like a Chinese puzzle than the Kato DE10. If there's anyone here who has any suggestions, I'd be really grateful.

Cheers,

Mark.

A parcel arrived yesterday from forum member Keitaro's Loco1Hobby shop, containing two Tramway C12 2-6-2s. They are gorgeous little models of a very attractive loco. I'm going to take them down to the club tomorrow night for a run. Photos and a report to follow.

Cheers,

Mark.

2 Wamu 50000s and four more Tora variants, all Hobbymodel arrived last week, have started one of the Wamus. Also have 2 of the Kato Toras on the way.

Cheers, Andrew

• Like 1

...................and some Sankei kits for themselves but also so I can get a feel for dimensions of Japanese buildings in 1/80, which is getting decidedly layout-ish. :happy8:

Cheers, Andrew

• Like 1

received hokutosei ef510+basic set and suhane solo an ohane car at the same time cassiopeia basic set and set B ( i'm searching for set A but it seems soldout everywere).

last week received Zoukei mura shinkansen o ( basic set + set B).

A member of this forum has found for me some detailed interior sheets to complete the cassiopeia train.

I've had a number of models arrive recently, so I've got a bit of a backlog of posts for this thread.

As mentioned earlier, forum member Keitaro supplied me with two Tramway C12 2-6-2Ts, which are truly lovely models.

11112885674_ac55ace1e4_c.jpg

In addition to the two Kato D51s, I got another Kato C56 from JAUCE. Seen here with my original C56, I haven't put the detail parts or numbers on it yet. It's presumably from an earlier production run, as it has bright-plated wheels.

11113020283_264c7a68ed_c.jpg

But I'm not negelecting the electric side of the roster. I also bought an Aclass EF64, which weighs a ton and can easily haul every single item of Japanese rollingstock I own.

11113018733_40d2888852_c.jpg

Last but not least - a model of Enoden car No.108 from Modemo. I thought this would be based on their static kit, but it appears to be an entirely new moulding. It's a lovely little model.

11112830405_e2a8eebce9_c.jpg

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 1
...................and some Sankei kits for themselves but also so I can get a feel for dimensions of Japanese buildings in 1/80, which is getting decidedly layout-ish. :happy8:

Andrew, I have a fair number of Sankei kits on hand - I can scan the sheets of parts and email them to you. That will give you something to go on.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1
Andrew, I have a fair number of Sankei kits on hand - I can scan the sheets of parts and email them to you. That will give you something to go on.

Cheers,

Mark.

Very kind of you Mark, thanks, will let you know if required. Have received my couple of kits so it's a start but I'm pretty sure they're 1/87 so will have to do a scale/re-scale in any case. Still useable of course (difference from memory of .31mm?), but will convert for reference.

Excellent spread of models there, lucky you!

On topic also, I have managed to find a new Tramway DD16 which looks like a great little model and am quite looking forward to receiving.

Cheers, Andrew

• Like 1

Andrew, I think you'll be very happy with the Tramway DD16. I have one of the cold-weather versions built for Hokkaido but later transferred to the Hokuriku region. It's a very nicely made and finished model which runs smoothly and quietly. 

This is an older photo taken after I'd fitted the detail pack, but before I'd appplied the numbers. The handrails are all separate parts moulded in a tough springy plastic - I recommend getting a pair of fine sprue nippers to remove them from their sprues without damage. The number boards and builder's plates are plastic as well from memory - I applied them using canopy glue made for R/C model planes. The body is easily removed, it's held on by the two screws located diagonally next to the air reservoirs in the middle of the underframe. 

7364160870_87e7f0c9df_c.jpg

Let us know what you think of the model when it arrives, eh?

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 1

Good to know Mark and appreciate the notes on the model, thank you. I saw your picture on your Flickr site a while ago, it was actually the first I was aware there even was a DD16, let alone a HO model, and just had to get one! I chose the other version with the three sectioned radiator grill (and doubtless other differences I don't know).

They seem like perfect branch power, and good size for a small operation, will certainly let you know.

Cheers, Andrew