The Introduction Thread...

Darren Jeffries

Morian - Welcome to the forum.....Garden RRing is something I also looked into. I have an LGB set and plenty of track but after researching what is involved plus the upkeep I've put it on hold.

As for Motoyama line, why don't you start a thread in personal projects and let the members share their knowledge with you?

Glad you found us.

Thanks all for the warm welcome!

It seems that you got a good deal on the Unitram set since it hasn't been on the market that long and there are plenty of people who model tram lines. Have fun at the forum!

Yes. I was able to obtain the following for about $700.

Unitram - 2 sets. (I am not sure if the Green Tram was part of the set. It may as well have been the starter set with the Green Tram a later addition)

DioTown Boutique and Office Building  (23-438) - 1 no.

Office Building 2(beige) (23-434B) - 1 no.

Shopping Complex 1 (Ivory) (23-433B) - 1 no.

Office Building 2 (Gray) (23-435B) - 1 no.

DioTown Metro Series 4 Floor Office Building, Brick (23-431A) - 1 no.

House (2258 Seaver Lane) (23-405B) - 1 no.

Cars – 6 pcs

I will have some images posted soon. My favorite structure on the layout is actually a Kibri one. I have been trying my hand at weathering it the last few days. Should have that completed over the coming weekend. And hopefully will have the first set of pictures taken.

I have been also playing with AnyRail trying to fit a viaduct into the layout. Actually, more like around the tram layout.

Thanks again and will be coming back often. Pardon if the post seems out of place in the intro thread. I will move to the myprojects (if I am right) about my layout in the making.

John

This is a little late as I have joined the forum a few weeks ago but here it goes.

My name is Jason, I am 35 years old and live in Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, which is named after the same Lord Sydney as Sydney, Australia. My interest in trains started when I was a very small boy. My grandfather worked for Canadian National and took me to the rail yard and shops every weekend. He also bought me my first Ho scale train set when I was 4 years old. I have been actively modeling HO scale for over 15 years. My HO prototype railways are the Canadian National Railway, Devco Railway (a local coal hauling railway), and Via Rail set around the mid 1980's. My roster consists of over 50 locomotives for CN, 5 for Devco, 5 for VIA and 10 various roads, most are MLW (ALCO) units as these were the main power in the 1980's in my area.

My interest in CN's narrow gauge (Cape gauge) Newfoundland Railway (shut down in 1989) and my interest in anime and other aspects in Japanese culture started me to develop and interest in Japanese railways. I always wanted to model a Japanese railway but with a limited income and constant HO scale Canadian prototypes released over the past few years I had to focus on my primary interest.  Things have once again changed in my life, as my wife and I decided we would like to move to a newer/bigger house in a couple years.  With that in mind I decided to put my permanent HO scale layout on hold until after the move. Trains being my *drug* I can't have no operating layout for another 2-3 years so a hold me over smaller N scale layout will be my fix, but I don't want to duplicate CN in N scale so I am finally going to start my smaller Japanese layout.

This forum is great resource, I have learned so much already from it. I hope to get to know everyone better and thanks for having me.

• Like 3

keiichi!!!

I'm in Dartmouth just down south of you!  This is an amazing forum and I've learned loads!  I guess there are now two Japanese modellers in Nova Scotia!.  Incidentally, I model Canadian and European n scale too and I find that Japanese N is by far the most economical, you just have to wait a few weeks for orders to arrive. 

Are you using Unitrack?

Graham

TheHeadSage

Hello!

My name is Sage, I'm 24 and I live in Australia. I've only just gotten back into modeling, as I've got a steady job in IT which allows me to pay for all this. I was originally going to model mostly US/UK stuff, which I did when I was around 10-12 with my Dad, but then I saw this really nice city layout done by someone at a train show and I just fell in love with the thought of running a Shinkansen around a layout.

I signed up because this seemed like a great place to learn more about modeling with the Japanese stuff.

Hey Sage,

Welcome.  The layout you saw in Australia was, most likely, Doug Costa's Enoshima layout: http://japanese-trains.com/2sides/.  Doug is a top guy and has plenty of down-to-earth advice about modelling.

Some of those shinkansen are pretty sexy, but I suggest you don't restrict yourself too much there.  Japan has some amazing express and local trains.  You'll find Tomix manufactures a great range of electric locos and MicroAce, in my opinion, has some of the best steam around.  Take a look at the Hobby Search Website: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/rail/.  You'll find this site reasonably priced and easy to navigate. It will give you the opportunity to explore what different manufacturers have to offer.

You'll find good threads here about track, scenery and DCC too.  If you look on the map in the Location Location thread you might find some members in your area.  Good luck and enjoy your trains.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Sage,

I forgot to mention that the Kato and Tomix catalogs are available from HS here: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/book/.  The first thing I did starting out was pick up the latest edition of each.  These catalogs will give you a basic understanding of how the track systems etc. work.  Kato and Tomix track have different types of joiners and can't be mixed without a special joining part.

For me, I chose to go with Tomix track.  There are various reasons for the decision, which I won't go into in this thread.  As I'm doing a digital layout my first train purchases were Kato that accommodate proprietary digital decoders.  More recently, I've purchased some Tomix and MicroAce rolling stock and plan to do more complicated DCC installs later.  I've selected the Digitrax DCC system, mainly because Digitrax manufacture the Kato decoders and therefore both have similar features, but also I liked the range of stuff they have on offer.

If there is anything I can help you with just drop me a line.

Cheers, again,

The_Ghan

Hi

I'm Mark and have recently joined the forum.

Decided to give n gauge Japanese railway modelling a go.

I did at one point purchase some n gauge stock some years ago but sold it on as I didn't get around to building a layout, something I now regret!!

I did recently purchase a model from Japan and was shocked at how much VAT and import charges British customs leveled at me £25, one very expensive purchase!!

Looking forward to completing a small layout and will try and post info on how well or bad I'm progressing with it.

Thanks

Mark

United Kingdom

Hi I'm Deano and this N Gauge stuff is new to me but love the look of Kato so selling my 00 stock on eBay to raise cash for a layout - Big motorcycle racing fan hence KATO 74 - RIP (Dajiro Kato) 74 was his race number.

Have seen a few track plans and one I really like is West Coal but may have to modify it.

Anyway high to all and any pointers would be appreciated

Cheers for now

Deano

Hatfield

Hertfordshire

UK

Mark & Deano - Also welcome to the forum.....wow that is high on the VAT to UK....I wonder how other UK members deal with this? 

Mark and Deano,

Welcome to the group! you'll find quite a few other brits here! The VAT and customs fees have been mentioned here a few times and do sound like a big ouch, does put a crimp in the budget unfortunately...

cheers

jeff

Mark and Deano,

Welcome to the group! you'll find quite a few other brits here! The VAT and customs fees have been mentioned here a few times and do sound like a big ouch, does put a crimp in the budget unfortunately...

cheers

jeff

Just remember  order under £18.00 and you don't get any duties, I have found anything shipped EMS tends to get picked up on. SAL from the likes of Plaza have got away with £35.00 .Think a lot of it is dependant on who you order from.

HS usually gets stopped, the most duty I have paid was about £50.00

sportinglife

Hello, I'm fresh fan of japanese railway. I like most trams, interurban, vintage DMU/EMU and ordinary consist (loco+cars) and I'm less interested in steam, shinkansen and high-speed in general. I've just bought several N scale Tomytec model including Sangi 607, Niigata Moha 11, Kiha 41000 (both black and red/cream) just to name a few. My Del Prado 1/160 N scale models are here;

http://digilander.libero.it/sportinglife/Giappone.htm

these models are now out production but can be found on ebay.

Regards

Marco

Hey Marco,

Welcome to the site.  I saw your link ... I really love the old Series 80 trains and the Kiha 81.  I looked further into your webpage and found you have the NSW GR 3801.  Wow!  Very nice.  Did you know it is still running today?

Cheers

The_Ghan

sportinglife

Hi Ghan,

I don't know too much about australian railway :grin but I think it might run; I think I spotted a picture somewhere recently. In case, I will let you know.

M

I looked further into your webpage and found you have the NSW GR 3801.  Wow!  Very nice.  Did you know it is still running today?

She isn't running at the moment. '01 is nearing the end of a major rebuild at Chullora, but it's unlikely she'll be finished before the end of 2011.

http://www.heritageexpress.com.au/pages/legendsofsteam/3801/updates/3801update-2011-01-17.htm

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

Ah .... good one Mark!  What a top site.  They're obviously working hard on the old girl.  I rode years ago on a one-off trip to Kiama to raise money for a local Scout group.  I'm looking forward to her return.

Cheers

The_Ghan

I must admit to having mixed feelings about what's happened with '01, but I will be very happy to see her back in traffic.

Cheers,

Mark.