The Introduction Thread...

Darren Jeffries

Hi there,

Although I have already posted some lines here I  feel that I should formaly introduce myself.

Well my real name is christian and my Japanese modelling virus started september last year with THIS:

http://shop.kodansha.jp/bc/shonenjidai/

I spend a year in Japan (studying and dooing my mandatory intership)  and the collection (which started like 3 weeks into my stay) kept my interest going, but I jumped of the train after release 2 and began on my one buying spree.

My current project is a 50 * 120 cm Layout (that small in order to be fully transportational )

A post of a construction report might soon follow . But university is taking its heavy toll.

A few lines to myself , I am a software engineering student, currently writing my degree paper.

'till the next post...

Christian - Welcome to the forum. Once you get the 1st train it sets the mood as to whether you're going to continue in the hobby....that's what happened to me. Whenever I see a good price on an Japanese train or one that I really like the design of, it's hard to pass up.

Enjoy the forum, are you still in Japan?

No not any more I got back in the last summer.

I am currently in Waiblingen west of Stuttgart , Modell railroad (and Car) Country.

Speaking of prices , the Japanese Pricing policy is nothing compared to German modell railroads.

plus for me Japanese railroads are a kind of rememberance for a nice time spend abroad.

-> see the Volmer kit section ...

Welcome to the forum.

And if you can take time from your studies, many of us would be interested in seeing what you have done, and what you have planned.  Start a thread on the Personal Projects forum when you're ready.

Mudkip Orange

many of us would be interested in seeing what you have done, and what you have planned.  Start a thread on the Personal Projects forum when you're ready.

Yeah, small layouts are awesome. Traction = <3.

Cumber,

welcome to the forum! do you know about IG nippoN? its a japanese train club in germany. they get together a few times a year to build a temporary layout and run trains for the weekend! there is a member here on the forum. a thread on the club is here

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,1530.0.html

keep us posted on your layout. im starting to think about doing a small layout as planning on the big layout keeps getting put off!

cheers

jeff

Hi,

I'm Chris from Hull, England.

Mostly I model in British N-Gauge and OO (1/76).

However, I also have a couple of Micro Ace Ichi-Go 2-4-0 locos and coaches, plus a Kato 9600 and three clerestory coaches.

I am particularly interested in Japan's Meiji era railways and would like to model a small rural layout for the Ichi-Go's to run round. I'm very tempted by some of the TomyTec farmhouses and country station with agricultural warehouse kits.

Can anyone suggest a 'typical' layout design suitable for a small passing station, about 2'x4' -ish ?

Are there any other Meiji era locomotives or rolling stock available ?

Regards,

Chris

(Black Hat)

Hi!

My name is Sascha from Germany. I'm living in a small town named Rimbach near Heidelberg.

My interests are High Speed Rail, model railways and photography.

At home I've a H0 scale model railway with German and French trains like ICE or TGV trains.

Now I want to begin with a modular N scale railway with Japanese trains, mostly Shinkansen. Some weeks ago I bought a starter set from KATO which contains the E2 Hayate Shinkansen. Really a nice model.

Regards,

Sascha

Thanks Cap'n,

:grin

Having had a chance to look over the forum, I think I might be better off posing my questions on one of the other platforms...

Regards,

Chris

(Black Hat)

Guest JRF-1935

Hi

Am new to forum and still navigating site - but learning "very" fast!  Sorry I didn't introduce myself so here goes.

Rich C, Morton, Pa., Addicted to N scale and Japanese Freight since March 2010.  Great site and Great Members !

Good evening, (at least... thats what it is over here....)

Ok, i'm kinda new here (just signed up after like 100 tries because of those answers u need to give... after 100 times, i noticed the last question didn't like the '!' after the 'yes' :icon_scratch: but i finally made it :D

I'm from the largest town without a Railway(station) in The Netherlands and no, Akiyuki is not my real name :). My real name is Leendert. I personaly like Japanese and dutch trains and still want to travel to Japan... (it's just so expensive... :sad:). I own some Marklin H0 stuff together with my dad. (still need to make a layout... but that seems like it's not gonna happen any soon :S)

Well, if u guys still have questions, just ask :) I hope to have lots op fun at this forum and maybe make some new Friends?

Greetz

Leendert

Martijn Meerts

Leendert, we seem to have a lot in common ;) I also have a bunch of Marklin, although I'm not planning a Marklin layout anymore. I also live in the Netherlands, although the town I live does have a train station. A pretty crappy one, but the nearby storage tracks and engine shed are pretty cool. And I also want to go to Japan, and have wanted to go for a while, but while I do have the money, I don't feel like going alone ;)

Leendert, we seem to have a lot in common ;) I also have a bunch of Marklin, although I'm not planning a Marklin layout anymore. I also live in the Netherlands, although the town I live does have a train station. A pretty crappy one, but the nearby storage tracks and engine shed are pretty cool. And I also want to go to Japan, and have wanted to go for a while, but while I do have the money, I don't feel like going alone ;)

same over here... I got the money... just nobody to go with...

Leendert - Welcome to the forum, sorry you had trouble registering. I think you're going to find a lot of common interests with the members here. I look forward to reading your posts!

You know, you don't really need anyone to travel. You'll always meet people on the "road", share a day or a night and then move on until the next destination. Actually traveling alone alows you to make more encounters and to mix better with the locals. In Japan, if you show up alone in some places (bars, small restaurants and Izakyas) you are quite sure to find some new drinking buddies.

If neither of you want to go, give me the money, I'll gladly go back there.  :grin:laugh:

By the way, welcome Leendert!

Martijn Meerts

You know, you don't really need anyone to travel. You'll always meet people on the "road", share a day or a night and then move on until the next destination. Actually traveling alone alows you to make more encounters and to mix better with the locals. In Japan, if you show up alone in some places (bars, small restaurants and Izakyas) you are quite sure to find some new drinking buddies.

If neither of you want to go, give me the money, I'll gladly go back there.  :grin:laugh:

By the way, welcome Leendert!

Well, not everyone likes to travel alone. I've traveled alone several times, and I've actually never met anyone who I then hang out with. Of course, the fact that I don't go to bars, and hardly ever drink certainly doesn't help.

And well, it's not like I don't want to go, it's just taking that first step that's the problem ;)

Martin,

There are people in Japan who would be glad to show you around their stomping grounds, I guess you can be passed around like a bucket brigade. Or you can coordinate it with someone trawling from another country. I'm probably not good company, but tolerable as a nonspeaking guide. Unfortunately, I have much free time but need some advance warning to save up traveling money.

Best wishes,

Grant

P.S. I don't usually introduce myself on boards.

But belatedly, here goes; I'm 58 and mostly take photos of trains. I don't have a track as it is beyond my budget, save the Thomas set that I got for my students. Although I would like a Big Boy or an Amtrak Cascade, and looked at getting the MIcro Ace Orange 201. Shooting at Shinjuku, I've become interested in the 185 and 189 series. I used to groan when having to ride from Ueda to Tokyo on the Asama many years ago but would love to ride one now. Loved the look of that train but hated riding for three hours or so, I forget exactly how long it was.

I first visited Japan in 1977 for five days. I was then in the Air Force. I was later at Yokota from 80-83, met my Japanese wife and after finishing my degree, came back to live (Ueda, Nagano Prefecture) in 87. Moved to Tokyo and been here ever since. I took some slides of trains back in the days but when my camera broke, I stopped taking photos. I mostly took aircraft photos and still am into the military modeling side. That means that I buy kits and start but never finish them. I got into trains because I used to go everywhere by bicycle and waiting and waiting and waiting for trains at crossings, you can't help but admire some of them, save the Odakyu Line. There is a place in Hell for those guys for making me wait so many times at Shimokitazawa and Kyodo when I'm trying to get to work on time.

If you visit Tokyo and want a guide or companion, give a call. You guys probably know the train shops better that I do and my Japanese is basic but other than that I try my best.

Again,

Grant

Martijn Meerts

Grant, I hear it quite often that Japanese people are friendly and very helpful, some (in the countryside especially) even allowing you to spend the night if you take the effort of introducing yourself in Japanese :)

Sooner or later I WILL visit Japan though, even if I have to go alone. I definitively want to learn some basic Japanese first though, so I can at least get around in the towns where they don't speak English ... And those towns are probably where I want to go mainly, not much of a big city person myself :)

Guest JRF-1935

Good evening, (at least... thats what it is over here....)

Ok, i'm kinda new here (just signed up after like 100 tries because of those answers u need to give... after 100 times, i noticed the last question didn't like the '!' after the 'yes' :icon_scratch: but i finally made it :D

I'm from the largest town without a Railway(station) in The Netherlands and no, Akiyuki is not my real name :). My real name is Leendert. I personaly like Japanese and dutch trains and still want to travel to Japan... (it's just so expensive... :sad:). I own some Marklin H0 stuff together with my dad. (still need to make a layout... but that seems like it's not gonna happen any soon :S)

Well, if u guys still have questions, just ask :) I hope to have lots op fun at this forum and maybe make some new Friends?

Greetz

Leendert

Hi Leendert,

Welcome to the group - I'm a relative newbie and had some trouble with the questions also but had an in with a friend who explained the process to me.  This is the best forum I've ever belonged to.  Every one is friendly, helpful, and all have a good sense of humor.

Rich C

Martijn Meerts

Hmm.. if the signup process is that confusing, I guess we should take a look at making it a bit easier ;)