The Introduction Thread...

Darren Jeffries

Hmm.. if the signup process is that confusing, I guess we should take a look at making it a bit easier ;)

Nah... it's more like if you do stupid things like me, u won't get a go for registration... untill you can think clear again and see the light and yes... it keeps the trolls out, but how did you guys find out i was a gnome?  :grin(that was a joke of course)

Guest JRF-1935

Hmm.. if the signup process is that confusing, I guess we should take a look at making it a bit easier ;)

Nah... it's more like if you do stupid things like me, u won't get a go for registration... untill you can think clear again and see the light and yes... it keeps the trolls out, but how did you guys find out i was a gnome?  :grin(that was a joke of course)

I agree - Keep the "Trolls" OUT !  I had some trouble - but I'm Polish  :grin

Rich C

Hello everyone!  My name is Jon, I live near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, not Japan, nor have I ever been to Japan.  My grandfather, on the other hand, did visit Japan in the early '70s while working for the Westinghouse Air Brake Company.  While scanning hundreds of Kodak slides of family photos taken by my grandparents, I stumbled across an entire box of slides that show several of his business trips.  The few photos taken in Japan show three well-remembered trains:  the Tobu 1700 'Kegon' Limited Express, the JNR Kuha 181, and what I think is a Tobu 8000 series, in the original orange and beige livery.  Among the many photos taken from his trip to China in early 1978, there are two shots of JS 5604, decorated in a way that I have not seen on any of the JS and QJ models that are available, as well as DF4B 0215, looking rather new at the time.  Before seeing these slides, I knew nothing about Japanese or Chinese trains whatsoever, but I had been looking into getting a few American models, such as the East Broad Top line, where my maternal grandfather worked selling papers when he was 7 years old.  I'd like to find a model of the 1700 'Kegon', though preferrably larger than an N scale, if one has ever been made; I'm also interested in a Jian She model, if I could find one that looks like that.  Anyway, have a look through the photos, which I've uploaded onto Flickr:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/53998873@N02/sets/72157625864097753/with/5420348801/.  Any details about any of the trains pictured, or even any of the locations where these photos were taken, would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, and enjoy!

post-513-13569927096556_thumb.jpg

post-513-13569927097388_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the board.

I don't know anything about that era, but Micro Ace apparently made a model of the "Kegon" (set A0874), which was re-released about  a year ago. Like most MA products it was a limited edition that sold out.  But you might be able to find one somewhere (or wait, and they may re-run it in a year or two).

Hello Everyone,

Been lurking here in the forums for the past month or so, but I finally want to say hi. This site has been a great resource since I've started to take up N-scale model railroading. I've been a train nut since I was a little kid, but kinda waned a little for a few years. But now it's back!

I've always been interested in Shinkansens and high speed rail in general, so my first set I got was the Kato N700 track set. I'm quite fond of it and have been really bitten by the N-scale bug. The last month or so I've been picking up Kato Unitrack packs to make my layout just a bit more interesting than the standard oval. I've also added a Blue 6-car Kato 103 Series commuter train to the mix. There's so many more interesting trains out there that I wanna get. This could really put a dent in the wallet haha.

I'm not really out to model a particular era or country, my layout would probably be a mix of trains that I find interesting.

With that, I just wanna say nice to meet you all. 

worldflyer - Welcome to the forum and I'm glad you decided to join. The N700 is a nice train.... and once you get started with Japanese trains, it can become addicting.  :cheesy

maybe i'm wrong but is the kegon express the same train they used in final fantasy 8.

i love this train and i will buy it the second it pops up again if it does... it screams oldskewl japan

Guest JRF-1935

Hello Everyone,

Been lurking here in the forums for the past month or so, but I finally want to say hi. This site has been a great resource since I've started to take up N-scale model railroading. I've been a train nut since I was a little kid, but kinda waned a little for a few years. But now it's back!

I've always been interested in Shinkansens and high speed rail in general, so my first set I got was the Kato N700 track set. I'm quite fond of it and have been really bitten by the N-scale bug. The last month or so I've been picking up Kato Unitrack packs to make my layout just a bit more interesting than the standard oval. I've also added a Blue 6-car Kato 103 Series commuter train to the mix. There's so many more interesting trains out there that I wanna get. This could really put a dent in the wallet haha.

I'm not really out to model a particular era or country, my layout would probably be a mix of trains that I find interesting.

With that, I just wanna say nice to meet you all.   

Worldflyer,

Great to have another member who loves N scale and Japanese trains.  Hey - it's your RR - do what you like.  But your right , IT will put a dent in your wallet! :grin  As long as it makes you happy, I don't see a problem - unless you don't pay your CC bill :laugh:

Welcome,

Rich C

Worldflyer,

welcome to the group! sounds like japanese trains can fit well and interesting mix you desire! there are literally hundreds and hundreds to choose from! sleek trains, old trains, funny looking trains, interesting looking trains, painted trains, and trams, lets not forget the variety of trams! so i think your wallet will be tugged on more and more as you find things! good news is that the japanese trains are usually a pretty good bang for the buck on quality and what you get. keep us posted on what you do, its always interesting to see the variety of things folks do out there! also helps stimulate another newbie later that may have similar itches to yours!

cheers

jeff

Thanks everyone for the warm greeting!

Yes, I shall post pics of my layout as soon as I get it all set up. This has become a joint hobby with my dad who's also gotten into model railroading. He's mainly an O-scaler but has gotten a couple of N-scales (the Bachmann Acela and a Freight Train) since he saw my N700. We're actually planning to merge both scales on the same layout just to shake things up haha.

I've also purchased a Kato Amtrak Superliner Set (just waiting for a good price on the Genesis Locomotive to go with it). So I'm on my way to getting that mix of trains for my layout. As for the Japanese side of things, the E259 Narita Express has caught my eye. Tempting...though I have to lock away the credit card in a vault for a while haha. 

Guest JRF-1935

Worldflyer,

There are a lot of Kato Genesis engines on ebay now.  Keep them in your watch list and look for relistings.  If your patient, after the site has been flooded with these, you'll find a good one for minimum bid.  Probably about the time you let your CC card out of the vault !  :laugh:

Again, Welcome,

Rich C

catcliffedemon

Hello all,

After many years of casual interest in Japanese railways I thought I'd join up and try and learn a bit more.

I've been to Japan a couple of times and I plan a third visit later this year. I'm mainly interested in JR Freight activities, but I also enjoy the incredible variety of JR and private railway multiple units. Some of my photos can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lastarial/collections/72157605584568402/

Although I am an active railway modeller, I've never actually bought any Japanese models. How I've managed to resist the temptation up until now I have no idea.

Cheers, Gareth

Gareth - Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your photo album. (Nice photos of the Kamome, one of my favorite trains) As for buying Japanese trains.....after the first one it's real easy to buy more!

Bareth,

Welcome! hey great picts, great sunlight! some nice reference things in there i can see! always appreciated! lots of japan freight lovers in the forum.

careful, once temptation on japanese train models is breached its hard to ever stop...

cheers

jeff

catcliffedemon

Thanks, it is certainly just a matter of time before I relent. I was really impressed with the selection of HO models available both new and pre-owned in the model shops I visited in Akihabara and elsewhere so I think 1:80 is the way I would go.

Just for references purposes, obviously, I was just having a wonder around Hobby Search and I was surprised by the range of HO models in stock, and at pretty decent prices. Dangerous stuff.

Guest JRF-1935

Gareth,

Welcome - thanks for all the Great JRF freight pictures.  Don't worry about buying your first train, Like Bernard said "it will be easy to buy more"  :laugh:  This is a "very" addictive hobby!

Rich C

Hello all,

I am new to the N-Scale world and to Japanese modeling. In the past I have been involved with OO for years.

Recently, work brought me to Australia. Because a move back is certain and space at my rental a constraint, I decided to switch to N Scale. Recently, I obtained two sets of (pre-owned but looks and functions like new!) Unitram starter sets, several Kato / Tomix buildings and other accessories. Prefect start and enjoying every minute of it. I have added to the collection new structures and the expansion packs. I intend to expand around the Tram / City layout with a double track (part of it viaduct). Since I am no expert on Japanese trains, I  rely on the experience of others and information they have kindly posted on forums such as this, while building my own layout.

I would like to add that I have found this forum very useful and have been learning a lot. Thanks everyone!

John

• Like 1

John - Welcome to the forum and you are going to find that there are a lot of members from Australia. It seems that you got a good deal on the Unitram set since it hasn't been on the market that long and there are plenty of people who model tram lines. Have fun at the forum!

Welcome john!

you found the way to get started with japanese n scale. you can get going so quickly like that, before you know it you are planning the layout! untrak and finetrak (tomix track) makes it so easy to fiddle with and rearrange things and have fun right away. you can do a lot with perceived scenery, especially with more urban settings that you can have quite a fun layout w/o fastening anything down. one of our club members here in DC has a really impressive 20' x 15' unitrak layout in his basement with nothing fastened down or no permanent scenery. of course at any point you can move over to the traditional layout as well!

have fun and please post what you are doing with some pictures, its great for other newcomers to see and get inspired to do it themselves and show them how easy it can be to get going (and then keep going as well!)

cheers

jeff

Welcome, John,

You've certainly come to the right place to learn about Japanese trains. No matter the question, there always seems to be someone here with either an answer or good ideas for where to look for them.  I've learned quite a lot in my time here. I've also found the members friendly, and interested in other peoples layouts and in helping, rather than showing off their own knowledge. It's very different from other forums I've been on.

Ken

Hello.  Came across this site in searching for some info regarding Kato's Pocket Line.  After reading some of the topics, I figured it would be a good place to hang around.

Live just outside of Tucson, AZ.  Never been to Japan, although had a couple opportunities the last few years to move there for work that, unfortunately, never panned out.  Still, have been fascinated by Japanese railroads for several years now.  Had planned on patterning my G-scale garden railroad after the Motoyama Branch Line, but never got past some of the technical issues of outdoor modeling.  But, I finally ordered me a set of Tomytec Machinami buildings that I've looked at for several years, and am looking at doing a small tram layout/diorama.  Need to do some more research, but really hoping I can find a way to do the Motoyama in N-scale.

• Like 1