The Introduction Thread...

Darren Jeffries

Hi Chris!

I also started Jtrains when I was living in Fukuoka a couple of months ago!

I know the beggining is full of questions I was there (also physically :p) some months ago! The first thing I'd say is: don't focus on the brand for the trains, they are compatible. Focus on the tracks because it will be harder (not impossible) to switch later.

No problem running a Kato train on Tomix rails but more problems if you want to extend your Kato layout with Tomix Tracks. With a permanent layout, this seems to be simplier though...

Quality of both (Kato & Tomix) are equal. Tomix has a wider range of curves and tracks available but Kato has already a lot. One thing to know is that Kato will be easier to get overseas.

I will tell you what people here told me: listen to your heart and take what seems to be more appealing! :-)

On my side I started with a Tomix Shinkansen 0 series set. It was the only set that has more than a 4 cars train (in my opinion, 6 is a minimum for Shinkansen). I bought it at Yodobashi Akiba and I'm really happy with it as it has a small station included.

I bought another tracks and power set later and 3 more trains (Tomix Shinkansen 300 -6 cars set-, Kato Relay Tsubame and Kato Yamanote 231 Yamanote -4 cars set-) just before leaving Japan.

So I'd say what brought me to Tomix was purely the starter set even if I knew Tomix tracks are harder to find outside Japan.

I hope it helps...

When you say you want to buy the local train you have next to your house, is it a Nishitetsu train? If yes, do you have a link?

I'm desperately trying to find some Nishitetsu 5000 series (the pale blue one) that I rode almost every day for 10 weeks.

I lived next to Minami-Fukuoka station and took the Nishitetsu Tenjin-Omuta line at Zasshonokuma every morning.

Hi Kumo. Thanks for your help..

I have decided to go with the Tomix starter set purely for the Kyushu Shinkansen 800 "Tsumabe" set... I have lived here for nearly 10 years and wanted to keep everything local.....

As for the local train, I saw a poster at the Hobby Shop at Diamond City (Aeon Mall Lucle) near the airport of a Micro Ace release of the Hakata Nogata/Orio service that runs through my city Iizuka. A6292

I have driven ever since I lived here, so never caught too much public transport to know all of the different ones around town....

http://www.microace-arii.co.jp/poster/img/10_03_3.jpg

My local is the A6292... Is yours A0386?

I think they will be released in October some time?

Hope that helps?

Chris

Welcome to another Aussie. I spent a few nights in Kokura a couple of weeks ago, but just passing through on holidays. Whatever brand of track you choose it can easily be ordered from Japan when you get home from online dealers like Hobby Search, Hobby World or Plaza Japan.

Chris - Welcome to the forum and already you've gotten a lot of good advice from members here. I always go by this rule of modeling a layout, "it's your layout, do what you want and most important of all, enjoy it."

I think it's a great idea that you want to create memories for your children. The Tomix 800 Tsumabe is a nice set Kato also makes it. The big advantage you have over most of us it that you live in Japan for the time being... so at the moment you have easy access to Japanese Prototype trains and accessories that most of us have to wait for plus we pay shipping. My suggestion, get what you want before you move back to Australia. There are even places in Japan that sell used trains at a fraction of the cost and are in mint condition.(one of our members, SubwayHypes did a thread on what he got when he went back to Japan for a visit)

Again, glad to have you here! 

In a similar vein, I am also modelling Japan as it existed when I lived in Tokyo.  Just before we relocated to Hong Kong in 1991 I went to my local Tokyo hobby shop and bought more or less one of everything!  It has taken nearly 20 years, but most of those kits and freight cars are now on my layout or t-trak modules.  I have always favored Kato trains, but I've run them on Kato, Tomix, Atlas and now Peco track.

Welcome to the forum, Chris.

The one thing I'd add to the advice others have given is to put in a reservation on that Micro Ace train soon, as MA sets may sell out, and unlike Kato and Tomix they don't re-run things all that often.  So if it's a must-have, move quickly.  You do have the advantage of being closer to the shops, so even if the big retailers most of us use sell out, you have a much better chance of finding one.

It's a nice-looking train. You might also want to buy a couple of the G series lighting kits for it (most likely the G0003, which looks more like fluorescent light than the G0001).

Welcome Chris!

I have the very throttle that comes packaged in the Tomix Tsubame starter set (although not in that fetching red color), and I can confirm that not only does it work with all N-scale trains across the board (because it does NOT have the love/hate CL constant lighting function), but it's quite a good smooth-DC throttle generally.

Since you are getting a Tomix starter set, and it comes with a small amount of FineTrack, I would take the time to carefully evaluate it. Kato track is perhaps slightly more durable (because the connectors can be replaced, unlike with Tomix track where the connectors are molded in) and more readily available outside of Japan, but Finetrack has a smaller profile and comes in a far wider variety of pieces (curved turnouts, double-slips, very tight and very broad radius track, and the new PC Wide Rail pieces are particularly exciting). You can't go wrong either way, but I'd recommend buying into one system only, to reduce complexity and frustration down the road. But others here have successfully mixed Tomix, Kato, Minitrix, Atlas, and Peco in the same layout (hello Quinntopia!), so take my advice with the grain of salt that it is due.

Gentlemen. All of you. Thank you for your welcome, and super advice!! I will definitely be listening intently on what you all suggest.. It's all great advice..

The reason I have decided to go the way I am is purely because as a hobbyist I have a very addictive nature when it comes to what I do.. So in saying that. Unless I stick to one simple theme. I tend to go crazy and usually end up with a room full of stuff that never gets built. (ala my plastic model stash). I build mainly display aircraft, and the odd diorama. But over the years, I have accumulated so many kits that I am now finding that it a very expensive hobby to have.. Plus the fact that I always say to myself. I will save this until we move back to Australia.. So the kits just add up when something new takes my fancy.. I am a stickler for detail that it takes me 3 months to build one model...

As for my railroad idea, I got hooked by a friend that is into it. But I have deliberately held off because I knew that unless I had a plan, and an end goal. And furthermore a reason for building that plan. Then I could get lost in this hobby as well.. Just yesterday. I spent 3 hours at my local hobby store just looking at all the different resources that are available..

Bernard, yes. I thought it would be a great thing for the family to have a memory of Japan, as once they are older, those memories will fade with time.. I know that we will return to visit our family and friends every year or two. But to just have something cool in the garage to go to and play with and remember all the fun we had would be something that I know I would have enjoyed if my dad did that for me!

KenS, Thank you for your ordering advice and those great links.. I am familiar with most online shops here, but have never been game enough to enter the railway sections until now.. I will definitely pre-order, because that set was actually released a few months ago, and was sold out.. So the next batch must be on its way. Don't want to miss out this time...

Chris

Hi Chris,

I'm also pretty new to the game.  I lived in Kofu, Yamanashi-Ken in 1984-85.  Until now I haven't had the opportunity to get into model railways (apart from the old Hornby set I had as a kid).  Anyway, strangely enough, a trip to Europe earlier in the year got me going ... and of course, it HAS to be Japanese!

Right now the Aussie dollar is as strong as dog-shit in the sun, so I'm buying up a fair bit of stock out of Japan and DCC out of the US.  I've built baseboards 1400mm x 580mm - they work well with the Tomix track modules of 280mm.  I'll be using Tomix track for all surface track but I'm actually starting with a 4 platform subway loop using Peco track.  I'm in the process of laying out track and will start a thread in a few weeks.

I'm in Sydney, BTW.

Cheers,

The_Ghan

Hi Chris,

I'm also pretty new to the game.  I lived in Kofu, Yamanashi-Ken in 1984-85.  Until now I haven't had the opportunity to get into model railways (apart from the old Hornby set I had as a kid).  Anyway, strangely enough, a trip to Europe earlier in the year got me going ... and of course, it HAS to be Japanese!

Right now the Aussie dollar is as strong as dog-shit in the sun, so I'm buying up a fair bit of stock out of Japan and DCC out of the US.  I've built baseboards 1400mm x 580mm - they work well with the Tomix track modules of 280mm.  I'll be using Tomix track for all surface track but I'm actually starting with a 4 platform subway loop using Peco track.  I'm in the process of laying out track and will start a thread in a few weeks.

I'm in Sydney, BTW.

Cheers,

The_Ghan

Wow, 84-85... All I can say is that it probably hasn't changed all that much then..

After ten years. As much as I love the all night shopping, and 24 hour convenience stores. It's only now that credit cards have started to be readily accepted as currency. But the up side is, it stops me from spending so much when a store doesn't have EFTPOS...

I still go to my City Office to pay my medical Insurance and Taxes, and the buildings and interiors always look 30 years old.. Kinda how I remember Australia as a child!... But other than that. I enjoy the convenience of being a modeler/hobbyist living in the mother ship of Hobbies...

Anyways. Thanks for your reply!

Hi everyone!

I'm happy to have found such a big and active forum about Japanese railroad model. My name is Andrea and I must admit that I'm quite a bit a rookie to Japanese railroad. I been in japan many times and I love their trains but never come to my mind that I could find some models, until last month when I was in Osaka and I found my self casually in a model trains shop.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to buy nothing because of luggage limitations, but as soon I've been back I've started searching for a nice shinkansen starter set. thanks to your help I've bought a kit from Tomix with track, controller and a beautiful 6 cars series 0.

I must say that I may be new to japan train but when I was 14 I made a very big layout with my father in H0 scale, mainly Germans trains from Fleischmann. I still have the trains but the layout is gone for space reson.

Now I would like to build a very small diorama with a piece of track and some buildings, we will see.

Cheers

Andrea

Martijn Meerts

Ah, so the model train bug has found you again =)

Welcome to the forum, lots of helpful people around here should you have any questions about anything at all.

Ciao Andrea!

the second italian in this forum, so now I'm a little less alone  :grin

p.s. ask to the people in this forum before buy japanese train on italian market  :thumbsup:

ciao

Massimo

Ah, so the model train bug has found you again =)

Well. I think, once you've been bitten you're never free from this disease.

Welcome Andrea! I hope you'll enjoy being with us. :)

What a warm welcome! Thanks to everyone! I think the bug never left, he was unaware that such beautiful trains exist.

Hi, my name is Edgardo and I live in Kurashiki, Okayama-ken west Japan.

I don't have much experience with this hobby, though I started three years ago with a Tomix 500 shinkansen starter set. More than running trains and setting layouts I have been collecting structures and trains for a future display. Also, I think I have more than 40 sets plus 15 diesel and steam locos.

I collected from the main three brands and  I use Tomix Fine Track. As I said, I collect trains more than running them; one friend of mine saw my collection recently and said it was a crime to have them storaged in my closet. Being a bit of a maniac with order and perfection I keep the trains in pristine condition and don' allow friends to touch them while eating or running them at high speed... I even have many trains that have been used a couple of times or never used at all.

Finally, I'd like to know if there is anybody living in Shugoku or Kansai area that is also interested in trains. Thanks everybody.

Hi, my name is Edgardo and I live in Kurashiki, Okayama-ken west Japan.

I don't have much experience with this hobby, though I started three years ago with a Tomix 500 shinkansen starter set. More than running trains and setting layouts I have been collecting structures and trains for a future display. Also, I think I have more than 40 sets plus 15 diesel and steam locos.

I collected from the main three brands and  I use Tomix Fine Track. As I said, I collect trains more than running them; one friend of mine saw my collection recently and said it was a crime to have them storaged in my closet. Being a bit of a maniac with order and perfection I keep the trains in pristine condition and don' allow friends to touch them while eating or running them at high speed... I even have many trains that have been used a couple of times or never used at all.

Finally, I'd like to know if there is anybody living in Shugoku or Kansai area that is also interested in trains. Thanks everybody.

Hello there! Welcome to the forums!! Well there is a person staying in Kyushu at this moment on this forum. If I am not wrong , it 's user Samurai_Chris . You can contact him on his profile. Enjoy this forum! :)

Hello there! I am Chan from Singapore. My railroad hobby was first started in 1996 when I had Bachmann trains complete with tracks and controller. My first apartment was large enough to have a big loop round the large table. Then 4 years later, my trains collection are upgraded to the Piko brand range.Even the tracks are rather fragile, I used it till 2005 when I start buying my first batch of Kato trains. They are really small but they are really reliable. A year later, I bought my first batch of Marklin. It was love at first sight. I love their range of C-track which involves easy clicking which is good for me. Until now , I still use my Marklin trains and Kato trains frequently because they are really reliable. Besides that, I love traveling to many places and I have visited Japan 6 times! My other hobbies are playing Yamanote-sen , Chuo-sen Densha De Go Pocket on my PSP , Aviation, looking at cruise ships and of course eating. I have been to many places in Singapore for food and I am glad to give lots of suggestions if you need it. I hope you enjoy my short introduction! Thanks for reading!  :grin

Hi Calvin,

Welcome to the group.  I also have plenty of trains, which don't get run.  Just a little piece of advice: make sure your storage area is dry and well ventilated.  The cardboard covers will deteriorate quickly if mould gets in.

Cheers

The_Ghan

"Just a little piece of advice: make sure your storage area is dry and well ventilated. "

Thanks a lot , my trains are well protected from the Japanese humid sumers or worse -roaches. The closet contains small packets of silica gel placed around the boxes.

CaptOblivious

Welcome, Chan! I'm actually applying for a job in Singapore. Its a long shot, but my wife and I have been reading quite a lot about you country the past couple of days. even if I don't get the job, I would love to be able to visit someday.

Chan - Welcome to the Forum! That is an interesting mix of Marklin and Kato trains. The Marklin trains are beautifully detailed but in the USA they are very expensive. Are the Marklins HO or Z scale? Have you come across the Kato Chinese Shanksen trains?

Calvin - Welcome to the Forum!

Besides the temp. conditions, it's not a bad idea to run your trains one in a while. Sometime the grease, oil or dirt, can bind the gears inside the train. Just yesterday I finally got to work on my layout after 6 months and to my shock....everything ran, I wasn't expecting that.