The Introduction Thread...

Darren Jeffries

CaptOblivious

And I am using DCC on the Christmas layout and Selectrix on my main layout. The Kato starter set I have ordered is analog. I havent been able to find a Digital Japanese starter set. Which I find rather strange. Running analog is no option for me so I really hope it is possible to put a decoder of some kind in the D51 that comes with the set.  

Not so strange: Digital control is not very popular in Japan, and only Kato even acknowledges that it exists (among the model makers). Converting the D51 is likely to be an unpleasant chore, I'm afraid!

But, welcome to the forum! And there are a lot of long-suffering DCC users on this forum to help you out!

Not so strange: Digital control is not very popular in Japan

But isn't that strange?

Converting the D51 is likely to be an unpleasant chore, I'm afraid!

That was bad news. Well I might have to learn something new then, the old technique of running the track instead of the locos :-).

/Magnus M

CaptOblivious

Not so strange: Digital control is not very popular in Japan

But isn't that strange?

Well, look at it this way: How many headaches has DCC given us, collectively? I can't count that high. Now, consider that most Japanese layouts are temporary Unitrack/FineTrack ovals on the floor. Imagine what you would need to do to set up anything more than the simplest DCC wiring scheme on a temporary basis. More headaches! The Japanese industry has found ingenious ways to achieve most of what DCC can achieve (but not nearly all, of course) in incredibly simple package. Tomix has their CL system for constant lighting, and a computerized throttle for automating trains, and a big fancy console for running trains with sound and realistic braking. The only thing they haven't done is allow you to run two train independently on the same rails. But when it's just you at home, who needs that?

Kato has been pushing DCC in Japan, and they take a different tack. The release a couple of years ago of the JNR Asama train set and EF63 sherpa locos (for assisting the Asama and other trains through the very steep Usui Pass) was meant to be an object demonstration of the power of DCC. Here's Kato's demonstration of how to operate a layout of the Usui Pass that requires DCC to work (EF63 waits on siding, approaches stopped Asama, couples, and the unit moves off)

Don't know how well this bit of marketing worked, though.

Well, look at it this way: How many headaches has DCC given us, collectively? I can't count that high. Now, consider that most Japanese layouts are temporary Unitrack/FineTrack ovals on the floor. Imagine what you would need to do to set up anything more than the simplest DCC wiring scheme on a temporary basis. More headaches!

This is pehaps a topic for another thread but I am curious, what sort of problems have you had with DCC? I have only been in this hobby for a year but I have had very little or no problems with DCC and even less wlth Selectrix :-). The only problem I have had has been putting a decoder in non digital locos. But that can hardly be counted as a DCC problem can it?

And for temporary ovals, doesn't a digital system make it even more simple to setup and operate them? Making it possible to run several locos at once using a single pair of wires?  And in Kato's turnouts, with built in motors, a DCC decoder could also be built in, making it possible to control both locos and turnouts from a single device and a single pair of wires.

/Magnus M

Magnus - You pose an interesting topic which will produce engaging responses from members. I for one would be interested to read what others have to say about this topic.

So Magnus, you're the author, start your thread.  :icon_thumleft:

(I know I have a few thoughts on the subject.)  

Magnus I'll PM you.

Hello everybody!!

My namy si Jean-Marie and I'm from france.

I'm back from Japan since yesterday and I I have fall in love of shinkansen...

Since I'm back in my home, I've discovered that some manufacturers make some very good models of recent shinkansen.

I'd like very much to start with models I've been into like the 700 or N700 series.

So I will post some questions in the appropriate section to request your help ;)

Thank you for reading me!!

:cheesy

CaptOblivious

Jamy, NozomiFan, welcome!

NozomiFan, do you already have a layout? What eras and locations do you model? What brought you to Japanese modeling?

Hi all

I thought I had introduced myself a while ago, but when I posted today, someone pointed out I had not :icon_scratch: Well, here we go:

I'm Andreas, living in England and for 3 years modelling (after having had a layout in my teens well over 20 years ago), but only recently got a little bit into Japanese models. I started off with a (sort of) Bavarian layout, it is my only layout. A small branch line with terminus, no roundy-round at all. Initially I had a few bavarian locos and it was meant to stay like that, then branched out to Prussian as I found good bargains. From there I found an interest in "unusual" locos, so got into American locos (Shay, Galopping Goose), supplemented by more standard locos if they were cheap. Into Japanese models I came by chance as I came across the Class 9800 when looking for logging mallets. From there I got myself a C57, because she is a beauty and very recently a DEKI 1, because she is soooooo small. I also have a few UK locos that to my eye are not "normal" looking.

All this runs on my good Bavarian layout (not often enough), which is not really ideal, but hey, it's meant to be fun.

Overall I always look for some unusual looking locos and may start to scratchbuilt something easy in the nearer future....

Andreas

Hi Andreas!!

Welcome!, It seems to me that many people on this forum have fairly eclectic taste in railways with Japanese rail as thier focus.  Thats certainly the case with me, having recently migrated to a Japanese themed layout (but like you I wont restrict the layout to just Japanese prototype stuff)

anyhow, welcome, this is the only forum I really bother with anymore, its just great

Graham

CaptOblivious

Hello, andreas, and welcome!

(BTW, I merged your thread into the already extant "introduction thread", no need to worry!)

Hi all

I thought I had introduced myself a while ago, but when I posted today, someone pointed out I had not :icon_scratch: Well, here we go:

I'm Andreas, living in England and for 3 years modelling (after having had a layout in my teens well over 20 years ago), but only recently got a little bit into Japanese models. I started off with a (sort of) Bavarian layout, it is my only layout. A small branch line with terminus, no roundy-round at all. Initially I had a few bavarian locos and it was meant to stay like that, then branched out to Prussian as I found good bargains. From there I found an interest in "unusual" locos, so got into American locos (Shay, Galopping Goose), supplemented by more standard locos if they were cheap. Into Japanese models I came by chance as I came across the Class 9800 when looking for logging mallets. From there I got myself a C57, because she is a beauty and very recently a DEKI 1, because she is soooooo small. I also have a few UK locos that to my eye are not "normal" looking.

All this runs on my good Bavarian layout (not often enough), which is not really ideal, but hey, it's meant to be fun.

Overall I always look for some unusual looking locos and may start to scratchbuilt something easy in the nearer future....

Andreas

Andreas - I started with British trains and went to Japanese. I like most of the members are probably interested in seeing photos of your layout, if you don't mind. We have a platform called "Personal Projects" that you can post it in.

Hi, my name is Ken, and I'm addicted to Japanese trains, is there a twelve-step program for me.  :grin

I got hooked about a year and a half ago, starting out with a Yamanote E231 (still my favorite), and after a year of running them on a loop on the dining table I started construction of a real layout last summer.  I've been lurking on this board since about then, and learning quite a lot, but always seemed to be too busy to introduce myself.  I've decided to rectify that.

I'm new to n-scale and Japanese trains, but not to model railroading, having been an HO railroader for a long time, but not a terribly energetic one, and my old layout had been gathering dust for several years. Now I'm fired up about model trains for the first time in too long, and quite enjoying learning about a whole new area.  My interests right now are specific to the urban trains of Tokyo, and particularly the JR East ones, although recently I've started getting interested in the Limited Express trains.

I also decided to keep my notes and related material online, and set up an "online notebook" website, which you can see at www.sumidacrossing.org (Sumida Crossing is the name of my layout) if you're interested.  Right now it's just wood and pink foam, and the beginnings of the first track. I don't have much time to work on it, and I tend to go slowly and probably overthink things, so it's taking much longer than I first expected to get it to a minimally operational state.

Nice to meet you all.

Ken

CaptOblivious

Ken, welcome! Several of us here have similar tastes...8ve been enjoying my most recent purchases a lot: two JRE limited expresses that run north out of Tokyo on the Joban Line, the Fresh Hitachi and the Super Hitachi. From your site, I'm guessing your interest runs to the Chuo Line? Great site, BTW!

Thanks.

I seem to have homed in on the Chuo line, haven't I?  I actually started off interested in the Sobu line, railfanning via Google Earth, but after stumbling across Ochanomizu station I found the line along the Kanda very inspirational. And I keep going back to the Yamanote Line. I've watched the video of that line on Skyscraper City (http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=44813706&postcount=444), the full hour of it, too many times to count.

CaptOblivious

I just saw that you had a nice looking track plan drawn up for Ochanomizu station. Very ambitious, but very exciting. I especially like how you managed to get the subway line tucked in there. I've been waiting for someone to model this station for a long time!

Mudkip Orange

which you can see at www.sumidacrossing.org

VERY NICE track plan! Would you mind posting it in personal projects? You can attach photos to posts by clicking on "additional options"...

Hi, Ken--I'm one of the weirdos who isn't into big-city modelling  :grin , but your track plan looks really interesting--I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes out. Bigger pictures of the track plan would be great.

Also--thanks for the "material safety" section on your site. It answered a lot of questions I had, and cemented (ha) my determination not to buy regular model glue.

FrictionShifter

Hi. Thought I should post an intro since I have posted a couple times on this forum.

New to finding this forum, and new to Japanese model trains. I have been "modeling" in N and Z for a couple years. I say "modeling" because, due to lack of space, I mainly collect trains and run them on a small loop / figure 8. My main interests have been completely sentimental - German lines (as I have spent some time over there), local freight lines from my home (Cape Cod), PRR passenger cars (just cuz), and now Japanese prototypes. I traveled to Tokyo a couple years back, but I am mainly interested in smaller lines like Hisatsu and the isolated Hikyo stations. I have some models on order from Plaza Japan and will post some pics of my trains when I can!

FS  - Real Estate is one of the biggest issues in Model Railroading. Usually the dream layout takes up a whole room, so we manage with what is available to each one of us but we all have a common interest here, the Japanese RR. So welcome to the forum and keep posting!

Also--thanks for the "material safety" section on your site. It answered a lot of questions I had, and cemented (ha) my determination not to buy regular model glue.

Yeah, that stuff is nasty. It's surprising how toxic some things are that people (including me) use without thinking about them. I've certainly taken the warnings about "good ventilation" more seriously since reading the Material Safety Data Sheets when I was researching that page (which I started after reading how some "non-toxic" glues actually were toxic to touch during curing).

On the other hand, I've used styrene glue for years, with no apparent harm, usually bent over a desk in a closed room.  I think you have to take the material safety data sheets for chemicals with a grain of salt, since they seem to be written assuming occupational exposure (frequent and for long periods), rather than being aimed at hobbyists whose exposure is infrequent and of limited duration. Nonetheless, I'm much more careful now.

I will post larger pictures of the track plan on the project thread I started, although I'll probably wait until I finish re-drawing the track plan in RM4 with actual elevations and grades.