Hobby Search

bill937ca

Das Steinkopf

The Tomix Koki 106 and 50000 w/ lights got me more excited than the sale items.

Looks like you will have a good source of numbers for your Koki 50000's and you can also renumber the Koki 106's as well.

I wasn't happy with the number sheet Tomix provided with the Koki 106.  It is more of a decal than a dry transfer.  I'm doubtful it will match the look of the pre-printed 106s already available.  I packed it away and totally forgot about it.  I will have to get the sheet out and do a test one day.

Das Steinkopf

I used them to renumber one of the 8703's and a 2769, the results are pretty good with no real visible variation in the colouring showing, if there is it is very subtle as I have a pretty sharp eye especially when it comes to colours.

Any change you could take a photo when you have the time please to compare original and modified?

Edited by katoftw
Das Steinkopf

Here they all are for a comparison, the colour matching is pretty good and you can see that there is only a very subtle difference on one of the wagons, this is more due to a light sheen on the decal that gives it a clean look compared with the matt finish of the wagon. I probably won't get any more Koki 106's to redecal as I already have a decent number of them in my fleet, if I was to get more I would be after the blue versions as I want more blue Koki's mainly 104's and 106's as I already have 100's, 101's, 102's and 103's. That said I more likely to extend my Koki fever to Koki 50000's to add more colour and variety into my fleet.

post-3083-0-17149000-1465522249_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Das Steinkopf
  • Like 1

Water slide decals on matte paint does that sheen usually due to the rough surface and the decal has tiny bubbles under there that will make it stand out more glossy overall. Solution can be using some clear gloss acrylic spot applied where the decal goes, but then that can make that area different colored and finish some.

Using decal prep solution on the area of the decal first can help the decal better adhere to the matte surface and thus blend in better. also using some decal sol on the decal afterwards can also sometime help get rid of this by mushing out the decal membrane. Coat of dulcoat can also help make it go away.

Rub offs of course don't have this issue! But usually a coat of dulcoat is good over them as they can easily be dinged.

Cheers

Jeff

Das Steinkopf

I still have to do detail painting and weathering on these wagons, I find that when using rub on decals such as the ones used on the Koki's weathering tends to take care of the issues with sheen, if I am using waterslide transfers I use a clear matt decal coat which takes off the sheen as well as helps protect the decals from flaking.

Totally missed this sale, though glad there wasn't anything that I would have jumped at...

The MA East-I is still available... I guess they stocked up too much on this set...

• Like 2

Below is part of a message I sent to HS yesterday.  It reflects a common frustration of mine, but don't know if this is also a problem for others on the forum.

/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/

I do not know the HS process, and just why you do not allow customers to
combine reserve and in-stock items.  I can imagine that part of it is not
wanting to create an "order box" for a customer, when the in-stock items may
need to wait many months for the reserve items to arrive.

However, I feel there is a real problem with the Tomytec Railway Collection
series.  You suggest recommended additional parts (for obvious reasons), but
for future Tomytec releases, customers cannot order the additional parts to
be shipped with the body.  If we wait for the body to arrive, the additional
parts can be sold out.  This may not be an issue for customers who live in
Japan, but for those who live elsewhere it means an additional ~ $10-20 in
shipping costs.  Since these parts are necessary to make the Railway
Collection body operational, this doesn't seem right.  No doubt there are
some in Japan who just buy these as static models, and don't require the
additional parts, but I'm certain that is not true for the people on the JNS
Forum.

==>>  I'd like to suggest something.  For all new / announced Tomytec
Railway Collection models, instead of just "suggesting" additional parts,
Hobby Search create an "Operations package" for each model, containing the
appropriate power unit, trailer sets, and pantograph upgrade(s).  Offer a
combined price for all of these, or maybe even bundle it into the cost of
the Railway Collection body - perhaps at an additional small discount for
ordering all of them together.  For myself, it is essential that this can be
done such that the "Operations package" can be shipped with the Tomytec body
when it is released.  What you might do is create an inventory of these
"Operations package" sets for each announced Railway Collection model -
based on sales expectations, and store them together for when the bodies are
released.  You would need to assign them (electronically) based on sales, to
make sure that the correct number are available for when the model is
released.  Then, this could be added to the shipment for each customer who
ordered the Railway Collection model along with the matching "Operations
package".

/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/

If this idea appeals to you, let Hobby Search know by sending a message to them at:

hs-support@1999.co.jp

Das Steinkopf

Hence one of the reasons why I do not deal with Hobby Search, I can generally get whatever I want from a variety of other retailers that offer better service.

I agree, but:

I'll often see the Railway Collection models listed in the HS newsletter, and react to that.  I do realize I could use that info to request the item elsewhere.

While the other dealers generally have lower prices, the RC stuff is generally cheap enough that I don't think it makes much difference.

I tend to always have a smidgeon of guilt asking the other guys to order stuff they don't normally carry, not knowing how much extra effort it is for them and if their costs are covered.  I suppose I should just take the attitude that they will say no if they don't want to do something.

Maybe part of this is a feeling that Tomytec should do this themselves, so those of us who do intend to power the Railway Collection models don't need to source additional parts - which are sometimes unavailable.

The problem is that each person needs different parts. For example, the Eidan 2000 series ran in 6 car sets. This means that most people who want a prototypical set would need 3 body sets and 1 motor. Now it's possible to use the trailer kits (2.5 half of them), but if you are converting to body mounted couplers, then you are better off with two 6 pieces close coupler sets and 5 boxes of conventional power collection wheels, either in silver or blackened. (i would suggest silver to match the motor) This would make a set of 6 cars with working close couplers and wheels that can be used to pick up power for each car. If they were sold as a package, you would need to buy 3 motors and 3 trailer kits, add the close couplers and end up with 2 motors and 12 rapidos surplus (+4 TT03 axles and no power pickup in the trailers).

Another case i had was the baggage/parcel units. Half of the units i have are trailer ones, since they either ran in pairs or with other emu-s, so adding more than one motor would just cause problems.

Third case was the chuo line 5 car sets that i found for 2000 yen at a sale. (bought all boxes in stock) These have working plastic pantographs, but it was recommended to swap them for metal ones. Also the basic full plastic rapido couplers have the right spacing for 20 meter stock, so they are like the spring loaded TT ones with the right extensions added. This means, i only had to get motors and wheels (the 300 yen old silver type) for them, but only need motors for every second set as A and B sets could be run together, so no need to motorise both. The result is a few 10 car sets that were relatively cheap (4700 yen + motor), but still come with preprinted, swappable destination signs and could take the old style Tomix interior lighting kits.

Creating packages for all of these models in all combinations would be too complex and would create a rather large inventory problem as how many parts to order from each type. The result would be full kits waiting to be sold, while people would be asking for parts only. Not to mention the logistics when the body arrives months before/after the motor, trailer or pantograph sets. This is one of the reasons why HS doesn't part out blind box sets as they would just end up with a bunch of unsellable cars.

Adding available parts to a preorder works fine as long as you don't pay your preorder, you can combine the newly purchased, in stock items with the preordered stuff. Monthly shipments also ship together, so if they are released together, they will ship together.

For smaller sellers, who would do personal shopping, putting together customised kits is easier and they can ask a higher price for the extra work.

I think an assembly service could be rather popular, where the seller would get all parts and make a set that could be run right out of the box, even with working headlights or even get the right custom packaging for it, like putting it into a bookcase. The prices would be higher than off the shelf high grade sets, but it would allow foreign buyers to get ready to run Tomytec sets for a little extra money.

The problem I see with what you are proposing is that they'll have you stock sitting around doing nothing for months and not being paid for until the model arrives.

If I have ordered a Railway collection model, I normally separately order the parts for it when I pre-order the model.  Or it just gets combined with the monthly order I have at AmiAmi.  I currently have a TM-23 sitting in the cupboard awaiting the Shimabara Kiha 2550 2 car set to arrive in sept/oct.

Personally I like AmiAmi's ordering system better a lot better.  They allow you to combine stuff within the whole month, even if the product has been released, and it is 7-12% cheaper than HobbySearch.  So you could potentially get a email to say you model has arrived, then go and order and combine all the parts you need.  But you run the risk of them not being available at that time, which is why I order them like the above example.

• Like 3

Yes I think them stocking the kits all in one will not fly off the shelves and require them to make sure they have all the parts at one time. The whole idea behind the kits is to let you slowly add parts as needed. Some just buy the basic model for display. I usually try to pick up the motor and detail bits later and just add them to other orders. I always check what I may need when buying from any of the usual suspects to get what they have in stock for my finishing Tomytec trains.

The private warehouse function that hobby link Japan has is really nice. Anything can sit there for up to 60 days and you can combine any of the items into a shipment anytime. But this requires a sophisticated shopping cart and tracking system to keep track of this and a lot of room to store the stuff with the personal bins!

Why not ship the little bits Sal? Much much cheaper.

Jeff

I put on reserve some Koki 106 and they initially were listed for 750y and now there listed as 850y with a Nov. ship date. I'm probably going to just ignore their request for payment as they should have said something about the price increase. Hence, like so many people here over the years have questioned why one can get model railroad stuff cheaper elsewhere vs the 10% mark up in price. And look at all the odd crap they sale. Granted people love stuff. But, I suppose one day they'll look at who consistently buys from them and figure out. It's a really bad idea to bump up prices without telling the person as those Koki 106 aren't the tail lighted versions. Hence, buying from 100% model railroad dealers makes the best sense verse buying from some hacks. Who have a lot of unsold stuff in their store room/warehouse. (Future eBay salers with lofty prices at their eBay store).

Have you looked at your order to see if the price was bumped up there? Hobbysearch will do lower preorder prices (not as much as they use to) and the price will be higher when the item is released or the preorder period is over. Contact them with the concern,mi think they will probably stick by the price you ordered it at, I've never seen them increase the price of anything already ordered. Give them a chance.

Jeff

HS have never had it listed for 750 yen.  It has always been 850 yen since the pre-order started.  There regular offering is 10%, and 15% on pre-orders.  The item's full retail is 1000 yen without tax.

AmiAmi have it listed for 760 as a pre-order.

Oh, I'll pay them. Wonder if they'd match AmiAmi price? Since, we have to wait till November.

Say anybody else here a Ham Operator?

That Icom 5100 is a pretty sweet digital radio which with the right connections one can call up hams in other countries full quieting. And cross band repeating... A few cool video on YouTube about it.

Edited by Kb4iuj

Hello,

I do not see it as a problem, but a limitation.  HS and other retailers must draw the line somewhere.  Larger retailers like HS draw a lot of international business.  Cheap retailers like Ami Ami do to.  Unfortunately, in both cases, these retailers must continue to be frustrated by international customers who place pre-orders that are never paid for, cancel orders, won't pay shipping with tracking but demand replacement product when the one shipped goes astray, demand the retailer pay return international shipping on faulty product, etc.  I do not mean to accuse, but only to point out the difficulties of retailers dealing with international customers.  Such issues eat away at profit and make international trading untenable for many retailers.

HS offers Waiting List.  Waiting List is a way of pre-ordering an item that has already been released.  It will generate a re-order with the supplier and HS will get the product, if it is available.  But how many times has HS been caught with a customer not following through on the purchase of an item they had Wait Listed, I wonder?

For many years I have had an excellent relationship with BigMan in Gifu.  They are not too big to care for individual customer.  More recently I have been purchasing from Loco1.  The service is equally as good and reliable.  Both are pleasant to deal with.  MTP also has a good following here.  I cannot comment personally, but other customers post favorable reviews.

Mr Charles, my best advice to solve your problem is align yourself with a smaller retailer who offers the personalised service.  Several have a presence on JNS.  Pick one.  Buy everything from them, regardless of the price.  Don't cancel, haggle, or barter.  Forge a sound relationship and then ask the retailer to get the accessories for you.  I am sure, for the regular customer, even if he is located in Timbuktu, the smaller retailer will go out of their way to be of service.

• Like 3
Darklighter

HS offers Waiting List.  Waiting List is a way of pre-ordering an item that has already been released.  It will generate a re-order with the supplier and HS will get the product, if it is available.  But how many times has HS been caught with a customer not following through on the purchase of an item they had Wait Listed, I wonder?

Hello,

According to http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/faq/104#wtgatwlmf "The 'Waiting List Mail' function is designed to inform you of item availability by e-mail, so that an email will be sent if the item comes into stock or opens for reservations.

This function is not considered an order, and does not secure an item for you. If the item becomes available, and you wish to purchase the item, you must place an order separately."

I guess you are thinking about "Back-orders". ( http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/faq/104#odrabp )

I've had the email about something 18 months after I originally requested to be on the mailing list.  Most of the time it is too late as I have already purchased it from yahoo.

HS wait list I think is not a back order, but just a notification if and when it does come back in stock. HS has no requirements of ordering if you use it. I do think they may look at as a way to see if there is interest in restocking an item though. It's been handy in the past for me at times.

Jeff

Mr Charles, my best advice to solve your problem is align yourself with a smaller retailer who offers the personalised service.  Several have a presence on JNS.  Pick one.  Buy everything from them, regardless of the price.  Don't cancel, haggle, or barter.  Forge a sound relationship and then ask the retailer to get the accessories for you.  I am sure, for the regular customer, even if he is located in Timbuktu, the smaller retailer will go out of their way to be of service.

Mr. Ochanomizu - as I wrote before:

I'll often see the Railway Collection models listed in the HS newsletter, and react to that.  I do realize I could use that info to request the item elsewhere.

While the other dealers generally have lower prices, the RC stuff is generally cheap enough that I don't think it makes much difference.

I tend to always have a smidgeon of guilt asking the other guys to order stuff they don't normally carry, not knowing how much extra effort it is for them and if their costs are covered.  I suppose I should just take the attitude that they will say no if they don't want to do something.

/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/

I regularly do business with L1H and MTP, and both David and Nariichi can confirm that I don't "cancel, haggle, or barter".  They have both located items for me that were difficult to find at other stores.

Amiami may have somewhat lower prices than these dealers, but I don't care for their site.  I find the response time very slow, the photos are tiny, and the search function is even more poor than that of HS.  We all have our own criteria for determining how we do things, and I am not swayed by the lowest price alone.

I understand what you are saying, but I have determined my own preferences.

• Like 1