Hobby Search

bill937ca

2 hours ago, serotta1972 said:

Yeah probably, gonna start checking at 12:01 am Japan time. 😀

They normally update their lists between 6-9pm Japan time.

HS must have found an old box in the warehouse or something.  Lots of old stuff like MA koki 50000s and ltd ed goodbye 300-0 shinkansen box sets.  I haven't seen a MA koki 50000 in forever.

Edited by katoftw
7 hours ago, katoftw said:

They normally update their lists between 6-9pm Japan time.

HS must have found an old box in the warehouse or something.  Lots of old stuff like MA koki 50000s and ltd ed goodbye 300-0 shinkansen box sets.  I haven't seen a MA koki 50000 in forever.

I saw the koki set and though I was going to get lucky...no dice. Also I'm kind of glad this was sold out because it would've been definite impulse-buy territory:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10195956

Edited by nah00

Hobby Search is absolutely evil...

They make it too easy to find stuff you don't need and to order it.   It is pretty well organized and I have found things I did not know existed :)

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, chadbag said:

They make it too easy to find stuff you don't need and to order it.

Actually sometimes i still find them not easy enough due to mismatching translations. I just don't buy what i don't want. But having a good catalog is important if you want to be reliable as a supplier. Throwing stuff out and expecting everyone to look through everything ever made for finding stuff would be unusable. Even ebay has a similar good category system and that made them better than their competition.

JR 500ç³»
17 hours ago, Das Steinkopf said:

I presume that this is no longer the case!

Indeed!  now all I need is a motor... otherwise it will always be dragged along by the Seaside Liner....

15 hours ago, Yavianice said:

The Resort Shirikami released, stocked and immediately sold out

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10495227

She is so pretty!

The Sonic has also been released and stocked.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10501384

The Buna is so pretty! Glad I ordered!

The Sonic is really amazing too.... Man Kato knows their models well!

• Like 1

4500 yen for a motor.  although i got a GM 18M coreless motor for 36 USD off ebay the other day.  you can see the empty cavity space for the motor inside the under car parts.

20 hours ago, JR 500ç³» said:

Indeed!  now all I need is a motor... otherwise it will always be dragged along by the Seaside Liner....

If you have a red kiha220  with a motor you can run them as a 3 car train it using that, I rode such a set back from Nagasaki in 2015.

5abc285a707dc_IMG_6676(2).thumb.JPG.edce965c790a3ae8de5043b2a586a0d8.JPG

• Like 1
JR 500ç³»
16 hours ago, katoftw said:

4500 yen for a motor.  although i got a GM 18M coreless motor for 36 USD off ebay the other day.  you can see the empty cavity space for the motor inside the under car parts.

Thanks! 18M chassis, noted on that. the problem is, installing a motor chassis on the front cabs aint exactly easy, due to the lighting modules... different case for middle trailer cars which are very easy, but the cab cars, need to think of how to connect up to the light module....

1 hour ago, Kiha66 said:

If you have a red kiha220  with a motor you can run them as a 3 car train it using that, I rode such a set back from Nagasaki in 2015.

yap... I was looking so hard for a Kiha-220 to no avail... either the Red Rapid or the Sea Side Liner is fine, but really wanted a Kiha-220 to complete the fleet.... 

Now I can try to run a really funny formation; a Kiha-66/67 HTB colour joining with the Kiha-200 HTB as a 4 car formation haha@!

12 minutes ago, JR 500ç³» said:

Now I can try to run a really funny formation; a Kiha-66/67 HTB colour joining with the Kiha-200 HTB as a 4 car formation haha@!

That would be pretty impressive, as the Kiha200/220s use the EMU type coupler while the Kiha66/67 series uses the classic Knuckle coupler system.  :grin

17 minutes ago, JR 500ç³» said:

Thanks! 18M chassis, noted on that. the problem is, installing a motor chassis on the front cabs aint exactly easy, due to the lighting modules... different case for middle trailer cars which are very easy, but the cab cars, need to think of how to connect up to the light module....

18m motor was just an example.  I'm pretty sure Kida 200s and 220s use 20m motor.  But you'd need to confirm.

JR 500ç³»
44 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

That would be pretty impressive, as the Kiha200/220s use the EMU type coupler while the Kiha66/67 series uses the classic Knuckle coupler system.  :grin

Do they? For the Kiha 200 models I have so far, they use the Rapido ones, and the front couplers are just dummies... but since I bought them as a used set from Yahoo, some of them had already been installed with Tomix couplers on the front ends, but i'm not sure if they are the EMU type... I did order the JC6326, which was the successor for the JC41 coupler which was the one GM suggested for the front cars, along with the HTB Kiha 200 I got from HS....

43 minutes ago, katoftw said:

18m motor was just an example.  I'm pretty sure Kida 200s and 220s use 20m motor.  But you'd need to confirm.

You know, i'm always uncertain how to get the correct motor for the cars... 18m doesn't mean 18mm on the car body, right?  

17 minutes ago, JR 500ç³» said:

Do they? For the Kiha 200 models I have so far, they use the Rapido ones, and the front couplers are just dummies... but since I bought them as a used set from Yahoo, some of them had already been installed with Tomix couplers on the front ends, but i'm not sure if they are the EMU type... I did order the JC6326, which was the successor for the JC41 coupler which was the one GM suggested for the front cars, along with the HTB Kiha 200 I got from HS....

You know, i'm always uncertain how to get the correct motor for the cars... 18m doesn't mean 18mm on the car body, right?  

They do, the Kiha 66 are a JNR design that was supposed to be the high powered replacement for the 58 series which never got more than 30 units due to the higher cost of manufacture and the ending of JNR.  They are designed to operate in tandem with other JNR stock so they have knuckles.  The Kiha 200 series is a very new design and have automatic couplers with the air hose connections built in, so are not compatible with older designs.  As an interesting aside JR's new engine house and yard at Haiki (built to replace the now being torn up Nagasaki and long gone Sasebo yards) has s turntable for turning extra kiha 200 series so they can operate as a odd numbered sets while each unit only has one end with a cab. 

I believe the 18m/20m ect designation is for the length of the car body in real life, ie. 20 meters, 18 meters ect.  This is used so each motor unit is sized to fit a car of a certain length. 

1 hour ago, Kiha66 said:

As an interesting aside JR's new engine house and yard at Haiki (built to replace the now being torn up Nagasaki and long gone Sasebo yards) has s turntable for turning extra kiha 200 series so they can operate as a odd numbered sets while each unit only has one end with a cab. 

Like a kiha 47 or 48 attached to a kiha 40.

3 minutes ago, katoftw said:

Like a kiha 47 or 48 attached to a kiha 40.

Yep, the interesting part for me was the installation of a new turntable in a totally new engine facility.  I haven't seen any other places install them other than for heritage steam programs, and even then they are usually restorations.  

I had to google map it to find out.  Turntables aren't that uncommon in Kyushu.  Hitoyoshi, Kumamoto, Kagoshima, Oita and now Haiki.  And must be a few I missed also.  Legacy left by old KiHas still running round.

JR 500ç³»

Sale started... nothing much, not that great a bargain pricing... But the Tomix Camera car is at a good price!

A surprising amount of full kato sets at pretty good pricing, but I've already spent more than I should have in the last few weeks.  That kato 80 series set is pretty tempting though.

Anyone else having a problem connecting to Hobby Search today?   Keeps saying "cannot make a secure connection to 1999.co.jp..."  (or very similar message)

Every time a sale starts my ability to control myself and only buy stuff I need for my Aizu project is tested.

This is compounded by the fact that the more I learn about Japanese railways, the more I find is interesting...

But no. Only 1960s Aizu stuff, and eventually a JNR EF66, because I love those.

And maybe a 485ç³»... and maybe something Enoden. And, well... Taisho and early Showa JGR is really nifty too... and Hokkaido... and....