What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

Not steam engines, too many roddy-valvey bits on the sides which look like they will come apart in interesting and unreproducible ways.

• Haha 3
18 hours ago, Arctic said:

As you can see I also picked up a Kiha 54 in Lupin paint from Buyee. It was a £50 buyout and advertised as mostly unused (only run once when bought then in storage) so I snapped it up as I thought this was a good price for something out of production.

image.thumb.png.53f5c7122c4e143f4c59dd46b2f7c6e1.png

It arrived looking in good condition, it runs well except that the motor is very screechy. I'm guessing that something happened in transit, the packaging seemed good enough but I didn't get buyee protective packaging and these things can happen anyway.

No that's how it is new, mines behaves exactly the same. I am considering remotoring it, if I feel like running it more

• Thanks 1

I received my package from HobbySearch yesterday. 

I got the Kato E233-1000 3-car and A-set… I’ve already consolidated the cars into the A-set case. I also got the E235 B-set, so now I’ve (finally) finished my full consist. And finally I got two Koki106’s and some NRS Corp tanks.

8C5476A2-055B-4E19-A9F4-D78BDBF2FEF7.thumb.jpeg.55c471ba8e5e56eb39671b965f90518e.jpeg 

• Like 6

My most recent additions to the collection:

A Casco Taki1000 Mini Book Case that I modified for my Taki3000 and EF15, a Casco Urethane for 6 Kato locos, a Kato EF200 in it's old livery (for the WaMu80000 released in May) and just today I got a Kato 9600 steam locomotive gifted for my birthday 🙂 Tokonami-San also found an old Kato News magazine in his shop that he sent me for free.

5B57514F-72D4-4A63-A38E-7476F3BA7C86.jpg

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

• Like 9
8 hours ago, Englehart said:

^^ maybe not so ancient since it has headlights 😅

It's 3-digit product-era old, with the old "raised block" mechanism, so pretty ancient (though not quite polystyrene-case-insert ancient).

The headlight is only at one end; looking at the mess of wires inside, I suspect that was added by a previous owner.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, railsquid said:

It's 3-digit product-era old, with the old "raised block" mechanism, so pretty ancient (though not quite polystyrene-case-insert ancient).

The headlight is only at one end; looking at the mess of wires inside, I suspect that was added by a previous owner.

addidng headlights on that is a pain i ahve the Kihayuni 26 good thing on the kihayunis they hide the motor blocks 😅

• Like 1

Picked up at the customs office at 8 o'clock this morning...

Something to retrofit my trains and a pair of spare parts for Kato KiHa 110 and ED79. I want to use the pantographs for a modification of a Kato ED79. But  more about it in the corresponding topic soon. And a set of KoKi 50000 of the JNR to finally extend my vintage container train to 20 cars.

A miniature version of a "Kendama", a Japanese wooden toy, was also included. Perhaps another load for the sushi train in the future 😅

471954250_Bild07022022.thumb.jpg.98108535343086f57e4ba8e039892557.jpg

• Like 5
6 hours ago, lighthouse said:

Perhaps another load for the sushi train in the future

That would be a cute load. Like some sculpture going to an exhibit or a toy for son of Goji!

jeff

20220208_094613122_iOS.thumb.jpg.3da36b41df9c1e2506bae038ab9632e7.jpgMy last package from Zenmarket has just arrived. The Czech Post kept it for a full week after customs were cleared, maybe because I used IOSS and Customs Office system to clear the package so they were not able to collect their ransom. They still managed to damage the package 🤦‍♀️ Fortunately the content was ok.

At the end of December I got the two new container cars from Train Box. As usual when I'm having something sitting at Zenmarket, I fell down the rabbit hole of both YAJ and Hobbyland Pochi, and got several other freight cars for my collection. The sheep container got me closer to my goal of getting all ICOCA Zodiac-themed container cars, the last two missing containers are gonna be problematic though as I still don't own the first one (2012, dragon) that was not sold online, and the 2017 one (roost) that was limited to 100 pieces. DE10 is my first non-shorty loco and oh gosh it's so beautiful compared to them.

Edit: There is Tomix 8701 car in that Tomix 8702 box 😄 First minus for Hobbyland Pochi…

20220208_101555464_iOS.thumb.jpg.1ea9eb7b674693939566bfc703b505ae.jpg

Edited by katem
  • Like 12
7 hours ago, katem said:

The Czech Post kept it for a full week after customs were cleared, maybe because I used IOSS and Customs Office system to clear the package so they were not able to collect their ransom. They still managed to damage the package 🤦‍♀️ Fortunately the content was ok.

Maybe the dented corner was a warning from the Czech Post? Just be glad they didn’t cut a corner off and send it thru the post to you as a warning! 😜 

glad contents made it through undamaged.

jeff

• Haha 1

Small order from Hobbysearch.  The Tomytec temple is for my train show layout project and I thought the Sanriku DMUs would be nice to run on that small layout as the color scheme should catch people's attention.

The Tomytec students are for one of my 34 layout ideas - one based on a Miyazaki movie and the Tora is for another layout idea based on the Shimabara Railway.  A converted Tora is used on their Happy Train.  Thought starting from a kit might allow me to do the conversion.  Though I did not realized it did not come with wheels.  Not that I am likely to move too fast on that project anyway since I can't focus on anything for too long ...

Thinking of trying my first Rokko-RG order as I found some DMUs that would also work well on the train show layout - hopefully I can get that going this week as well.

Ciao,

Tony

HS Order February 2022.jpg

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Tony Galiani said:

Thinking of trying my first Rokko-RG order as I found some DMUs that would also work well on the train show layout - hopefully I can get that going this week as well.

And you'll never look back 😉 Tokonami-san is great. Otherwise, great haul.

• Thanks 1

Ordered Today 6 units of DE29x3K2_16V replacement boards for my Kato EH200 and EH500 because I literally broke one trying to solder a dcc decoder in there 😕

Besides these, waiting for shippment of

Kato M250 (8car set)

Kato EF510 loco

Tomix Kitty 500

in order of expected delivery.

I have been ordering from Tokonami-san now for well over a year and his service and communication is just the best. He is my absolute go to shop!

Best regards,

Cliff

• Like 1

@Tony Galiani@cteno4, *Ahem*

As someone with a keen interest in Shintō, and Japanese religion in general (mainly from a cultural point of view, but also somewhat spiritual), the mixing of temple (Buddhist) and shrine (Shintō) when referring to places of worship in Japan (to a lot of people in the west they are all just temples) has always been one of my pet peeves.

This is actually a shrine, which incidentally is also what is written on the box (神社B (Jinja B)shinto shrine set b)😉.

Though it would be easy to just keep it at that, after all the box already spilled it's secrets, but that wouldn't remove all the fun for me!

Even without the title on the box, there are multiple aspects which allow us to identify this structure as shrine, as opposed to a temple, the structures themself, general layout, architecture, and some cultural aspects.

When looking over the building, the first clue is actually the presence of a torii, the gate through which you enter a shrine. A torii functions as a barrier/dividing line between our own world and the sanctuary, and though there are a handful of torii found at temples (excluding those leading to a (small(er) shrine "within" temple grounds), torii are exclusively linked to Shintō, and therefore a shrine. All paths leading into the sanctuary are straddled by a torii, with (smaller) sub-shrines having their own torii in most cases.

Moving on from the torii and to the left, we can see the chōzuya. A chōzuya is a basin (covered at most shrines), which is where the purification ritual takes place. By cleaning both hands as well as rinsing your mouth with water, you purify yourself before proceeding further into the shrine. While chōzuya can occasionally be found near temples (usually when there's a shrine within, or adjacent to the temple), chōzuya and the ritual of purification originated in Shintō practices.

The large building in the center is the haiden, or hall of worship (also known as the outer hall), this is the place where worshipers can interact with the Kami (deity(s)), prayers are made, ritual dances are performed etc. The large bell, which can be seen near the entrance of the haiden, and above the offering box, is used to signal to the Kami prior to a prayer (bow, place offer in offering box, ring bell, bow twice, clap twice (with the right hand slightly lower than the left hand), pray and a final bow)

The smaller structure behind the haiden, is the honden, or main hall. This is where the divine object(s) are actually housed, and as such is regarded as the place where the Kami dwell. This section is usually off limits for the general public.

On the box art we can also clearly see a miko, or shrine maiden, which without going into too much detail (ha!), is another custom exclusive to Shintō

Outside of this, there's also the architecture. Though the architecture can vary from shrine to shrine, with a variety of different architectural styles being used depending on the time of establishment, shrines usually employ more traditional Japanese architecture compared to temples. Which isn't all that surprising, as Shintō is indigenous to Japan, while Buddhism came to Japan through Korea and China in the 6th century, and even though Buddhist architecture in Japan would evolve into it's own distinct style, the original Korean and Chinese influences can still be seen in the way most temples are decorated. Shrines on the other hand, are usually more sober and subdued, which is intentional.

Anyway my apologies for going a bit of topic, however I sincerely hope this information is of value.

So speaketh the encyclopedia

Cheers!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, 200系 said:

As someone with a keen interest in Shintō, and Japanese religion in general (mainly from a cultural point of view, but also somewhat spiritual), the mixing of temple (Buddhist) and shrine (Shintō) when referring to places of worship in Japan (to a lot of people in the west they are all just temples) has always been one of my pet peeves.

Sorry I’m dyslexic and trying to remember which is which is like flipping a coin. 

jeff

@cteno4My apologies, Jeff, it was never my intention to put either Tony or you on the spot, it is more of a general pet peeve of mine. In hindsight I should've worded that paragraph a bit more clearly...

And as a fellow (very mild) dyslexic, I can certainly empathize with your plight.

So as far as I'm concerned, there's no need for you to apologize, rather the other way around.

Sander

Edited by 200系
  • Like 1

@200系  No problem.  I really appreciate all the info - I plan to take a copy with me to the train show.  There always seems to be a few people who ask questions about the layouts I have displayed so it will an interesting topic for discussion.  And there is at least one Japanese owned manufacturing plant in Mebane so there may be some interest due to that as well.

One of the best things about this forum, for me at least, is how much I learn.

Thanks,

Tony

• Like 2

@200系 no worries! I’ve spent my life going around this tree and should have just looked it up to make sure. It actually looked wrong to me, but I’ve learned not to trust my gut on these things as it’s wrong 50% of the time (their I’m up to may 75% correct, but that at least gets caught by autocorrect) and just figured it was correct. 

thanks this a great shrine summary. I’ve learned those many times but they just go poof with a bit of time, so nice reference!

jeff