What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

I can’t see any reason it could not be lit. It is a smaller space so want to keep things cool. Shouldn’t be a problem if you use multiple small smd leds and run them at low amperage. You could run a power buss wire along the inside of the roof peak and then just wire a smd led and smd resistor between the two wires. Use uninsulated wires with the smd led and resistors soldered between then and glue into the roof sections and just solder little flexible insulated jumper wires at the two corners. 

jeff

• Like 1
18 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Small parcel with pre-orders and some bargin items

20220218_141559.thumb.jpg.3d946bf8081cd19d2983d27d686d3d80.jpg

You are the one that stole this? I was waiting for it to hit the sales but then it was gone 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, disturbman said:

You are the one that stole this? I was waiting for it to hit the sales but then it was gone 🙂

You snooze, you lose!!!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, cteno4 said:

I can’t see any reason it could not be lit. It is a smaller space so want to keep things cool. Shouldn’t be a problem if you use multiple small smd leds and run them at low amperage. You could run a power buss wire along the inside of the roof peak and then just wire a smd led and smd resistor between the two wires. Use uninsulated wires with the smd led and resistors soldered between then and glue into the roof sections and just solder little flexible insulated jumper wires at the two corners. 

I suspect that's the generic "don't sue us, we did tell you" warning which is on the back of these kind of kits, which states the kit is not designed for lighting and Bad Things may happen (plastic melting/burning) if lighting is added. Like you say, small LEDs should be fine.

On 2/17/2022 at 2:24 PM, Wolf said:

Finally received my 6 Units of DE29x3K2 replacement DCC Boards for the Kato EH200/EH500 (wich I am too stupid to solder myself XD) from snjpn.

Yay more DCC Trains. XD

1645104071302.JPEG

I would be interested if you can make a clear how-to install in a EH500

• Like 1

A long awaited extension to my Chichibu cement train in need of a coupler replacement. Kato 10-1460.

Kind of wish they’d use their own knuckles and sell replacement rapidos for those that want them.

FCAF565C-BE0F-4128-AE4D-1442510220F3.jpeg

• Like 5

A short Tsubame-esque rake consisting of five Kato models of an older vintage (4-digit product code, silver/blue case inserts):

51889994487_bea2886cf3_z.jpg

Kato "Tsubame" ad-hoc rake by Rail Squid, on Flickr

as I wanted something to gainfully employ my EF58s in period livery, but wasn't in the mood to track down a more recent set, and these are actually pretty decent for their age and price. No working taillights on the Maite (will see if I can at least improve what's there), and I need to track down an appropriate train mark.

• Like 6
8 hours ago, disturbman said:

Build kit, glue LEDs on top, take out blowtorch. Voilà.

Well if you use the bridge as the heat sink for the 10w led you can skip the blowtorch…

jeff

22 hours ago, disturbman said:

Sorry mate! I really had to immediately click it at my fastest speed and check out... ONLY to realise LATER that it doesnt come with a motor X_X 

Oh well... Luckily it still has directional lighting and a little adjustments to couple it with existing Kintetsu commuter cars ~

22 hours ago, gavino200 said:

You snooze, you lose!!!

So very true, but DO take a few moments to check details and if you really want it! Sometimes, i find myself buying just because they're in the bargains bin X_X 

• Haha 1
25 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

So very true, but DO take a few moments to check details and if you really want it! Sometimes, i find myself buying just because they're in the bargains bin X_X 

True that. Beware the middle-of-the-night buying spree. 😱 I have so many items bought, I don't know when I'm going to get around to using them all.

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Sorry mate! I really had to immediately click it at my fastest speed and check out... ONLY to realise LATER that it doesnt come with a motor X_X 

Oh well... Luckily it still has directional lighting and a little adjustments to couple it with existing Kintetsu commuter cars ~

No, it didn't 😄 I wanted to couple it with my other Ise/Toba 1440. Maybe I'll get one from YJA at one point.

3 hours ago, gavino200 said:

True that. Beware the middle-of-the-night buying spree. 😱 I have so many items bought, I don't know when I'm going to get around to using them all.

So relatable to this... Often, we are so mesmorised by the price that we often forget to do some research, in the fear of missing a good bargain.... 

1 hour ago, Yavianice said:

@JR 500系 don’t forget to pre-order the door parts! Refer to my post in KATO new releases to find out which one you need.

Thanks! I already pre-ordered quite a few of them, probably even more than i should need hahaha ~ I do want a light unit though, as the Kuha 680-509 doesnt come with a light unit.... 

20220220_180435.thumb.jpg.6b8f36a58a6422541f50885759f319be.jpg

The one on the left is the Kumoha 681-508 from the 6 car basic set, the one on the right is the Kuha 680-509 from the add-on 3-car set. Didnt figure Kato to actually follow GreenMax style to dis-clude a light unit on a connecting cab car....  X_X 

1 hour ago, disturbman said:

No, it didn't 😄 I wanted to couple it with my other Ise/Toba 1440. Maybe I'll get one from YJA at one point.

I'll continue to hawkeye Ami, and will let u know 1st hand if i see one in the bargains! 

55 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

So relatable to this... Often, we are so mesmorised by the price that we often forget to do some research, in the fear of missing a good bargain.... 

Thanks! I already pre-ordered quite a few of them, probably even more than i should need hahaha ~ I do want a light unit though, as the Kuha 680-509 doesnt come with a light unit.... 

20220220_180435.thumb.jpg.6b8f36a58a6422541f50885759f319be.jpg

The one on the left is the Kumoha 681-508 from the 6 car basic set, the one on the right is the Kuha 680-509 from the add-on 3-car set. Didnt figure Kato to actually follow GreenMax style to dis-clude a light unit on a connecting cab car....  X_X 

I'll continue to hawkeye Ami, and will let u know 1st hand if i see one in the bargains! 

Wasn't HobbySearch selling an aftermarket LED upgrade kit for the cab cars? I remember seeing something a week or two ago, but can't find it at the moment...

1 hour ago, comeng84 said:

Wasn't HobbySearch selling an aftermarket LED upgrade kit for the cab cars? I remember seeing something a week or two ago, but can't find it at the moment...

They have it for the E353 Azusa, E351 Super Azusa and the 651 series, but not sure i saw one for the 681/ 683s... 

Edited by JR 500系
Yavaris Forge
On 2/19/2022 at 4:08 AM, Szdfan said:

has anyone successfully added lighting?

i have, but i don't have a picture of it built on the layout yet. It works if you hide the wires under the roof. You have to use very dark LEDs, they tend to shine through the walls as they are quite thin. Alternatively you could try to light-proof the walls somehow

• Like 1

Turn the leds down a lot and use more of them. Don’t need much light in this tiny space at all. nicer effect if bright and dim spaces along the run as even with fluorescent lighting they usually had gaps between the lights, so chain of dimmer and brighter bits.

Back the leds with a small piece of foil with some tape over it to insulate it. Or use hotdog wrapper, it’s got a very thin layer of foil and one of white paper.

jeff

• Like 2

Today my first “big” purchase arrived — a powered and unpowered Tomix Kiha 22 that I ordered from RG-Rokko. This is my first Hokkaido specific purchase and I’m excited.

7B833E4B-033C-4497-8502-EE46EB622240.thumb.jpeg.0eab8d28bfc88a66119696e30ab3a5a1.jpeg

Edited by disturbman
  • Like 5