What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

Got some Kato poured concrete double viaduct supports plus more catenary. Sorry, no photo since I'm a bit sick today. Hope to be well again next weekend to set everything up.

Try searching for models on Amazon's US site. If I type Kato into the UK one I get loads of marketplace results from Japan. Delivery usually by SAL, never had a problem with customs and prices are pretty good.

Really? I always felt that most of those marketplace results from Japan on western Amazon are ludicrously overpriced.

Also I think it's possible to buy model trains from Amazon.co.jp if they're sold and shipped directly by Amazon.

Edited by Suica

I've seen a wide range of sellers on Amazon.com from Japan, but rarely anything as good as our usual sources and shipping can be more. DHL with Amazon.jp is a good source if you need it fast and the Amazon has it as usually decent shipping price if not bulky.

I got a tomytec mech I wanted for a show (sold out at all the usual sources) in 3 days for $9 shipping a year or two back and got a few packs of tomytec figures in there w,o changing shipping price at a good sale price.

Jeff

Really? I always felt that most of those marketplace results from Japan on western Amazon are ludicrously overpriced.

Also I think it's possible to buy model trains from Amazon.co.jp if they're sold and shipped directly by Amazon.

Amazon UK marketplace direct from Japan offer free postage mostly, so it worked out cheaper for me to get some stuff from them rather than hobby search (as their postage costs for heavier items are ludicrous) plus I had no customs charge, but did with items from hs.

Yes the DHL is great for dense stuff as from what folks have said it's more on volume pricing rather than weight. Books come cheaper to the us thru DHL Amazon than Sal.

Jeff

I have ordered things on German Amazon, and also had no problems. Relatively fast delivery too. Even had a return to Japan without any issue. However, the selection is quite small and the prices can quickly inflate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you haven't already, really check out Amazon Japan site. You can even view it in English. Search for items by typing in Kato or Tomix followed by item number. The deals are pretty darn good.

If you haven't already, really check out Amazon Japan site. You can even view it in English. Search for items by typing in Kato or Tomix followed by item number. The deals are pretty darn good.

Yeah, prices are often around 8% lower than amiami (and amiami is no slouch when it comes to pricing). What I like the most about amazon.co.jp is that you know the shipping charge before paying and that you aren't forced to use EMS for orders over 2kg.

4 car E5 expansion set finally arrived. This brings me up to the full ten. Can't wait to run it coupled up to the E6.

Tomix cleaner too.

IstB5jv.jpg

• Like 5

My obsession continues a Hankyu 9300 arrived yesterday and whilst I already love the detailing on Kato products this really takes the cake, to the naked eye I can't read the back lit destinations. Amazing detail. Also this model is a lot heavier than the 6300 so it runs a little slower but slot smoother. I understand this model was released last year and it seem kato keep on trying harder to deliver detail. The signs light up which just makes me jump for joy.

post-4121-0-99105800-1486558509_thumb.jpg

post-4121-0-86003200-1486558530_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thankyu6300
  • Like 2

Three parcels from HS arrived today.

Unitram Electric Turnouts (L and R)

Pre-cut Sandpaper 600 & 1000

Kato N Gauge Structure Guidebook

post-75-0-76291900-1486585659_thumb.jpg

Unitram Quarter Circle Inner Road Plates x 6

Unitram Expansion Set Streetscape 

Unitram Tram Stop

Tomytec Building Collection 044-4 Post Office Drug Store

Car Collection Set G3

Car Collection Set K4

All Japan Bus Collection Nagasaki Prefectural Bus

post-75-0-91067100-1486585888_thumb.jpg

Third parcel was a book: N Gauge Catalog 2016-2017.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 3

I love my Shinkansen chopsticks! Always makes me smile when I pull out a pair to use. Even fun choosing which train to use!

Jeff

• Like 2

I love my Shinkansen chopsticks! Always makes me smile when I pull out a pair to use. Even fun choosing which train to use!

Jeff

Yeh I love them too! The only problem is, after using much, the color faded through many washings... So I stopped using them altogether as I wanted to preserve the looks of it...

• Like 1

My first order from Mandarake came in this morning (thank you guys for pointing me out to this company).

IMG_20170209_100900.jpg

Yes, I have the Tōbu 6050 Series fever. This time not a Tomytec version, but Greenmax Cat. No. 4553. Rebuilt version with old 6000 Series bogies, new logo and thus very contemporary! I'm planning to upgrade these trains soon with TN couplers (Tomix JC25) on the front ends and tighter couplers in between the cars (not sure which yet). At the moment, I'm also eyeballing a double pantograph 6050 (new version), a standard new version, and of course the Skytree Train (634 Series). In due time these trains will all get directional and interior lights.

And here is a little bonus of the exact same number of one of the formations I received today, departing from Aizu-tajima, the northernmost station that Tōbu trains are able to reach:

• Like 6

Jeff

Dumb question and totally off topic, but am I the only one who think these Shinkansen chopsticks are too slippery compared to the old, plain wood ones? I eat with chopsticks rarely due to that it is not common here in Hungary (therefore my technic is soooo bad :) ) and I also have some of these chopsticks and found them harder to use.

Dumb question and totally off topic, but am I the only one who think these Shinkansen chopsticks are too slippery compared to the old, plain wood ones? I eat with chopsticks rarely due to that it is not common here in Hungary (therefore my technic is soooo bad :) ) and I also have some of these chopsticks and found them harder to use.

I guess they might be a little harder. Not sure. I've been using sticks for a long time. Maybe you just need more practice. Find a local asian supermarket - seems like there's one everywhere on earth - even in Hungary if you search. 

Or maybe you could cut/glue them onto a fork :)

Classic Shinkansen (both prototype and model) :D

32691528801_979a345316_z.jpg

endou-shinkansen by Rail Squid, on Flickr

There's one of those on ebay UK at the moment, asking £89. Wouldn't match my lone Series O car though as mine is from a later production with bogie frames (as opposed to inside bearings).

Ordered a Kato Kumoyuni 72 dummy from Amazon marketplace for £35, lowest price on ebay was £42 last time I looked.

Some recent purchases from our German forums meeting.

MicroAce 100 Series Shinkansen X1 set

post-3895-0-43661200-1486943450_thumb.jpg

post-3895-0-56078600-1486943468_thumb.jpg

Man, I love these bi-level cars~

Greenmax KiHa 200 (4 car set)

post-3895-0-18023300-1486943462_thumb.jpg

Kato JNR class 9600

post-3895-0-71885300-1486943463_thumb.jpg

MicroAce JNR C50-66 Zebra

post-3895-0-80797700-1486943464_thumb.jpgpost-3895-0-97003900-1486943465_thumb.jpg

• Like 9