What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

I bought the Kato E217 10-843/4/5/6 on Yahoo for ¥24,000.  Vendor claimed it had been used for display only and never run.  I confirm it never run.  RRP: ¥36,200.  My saving was 33%.  I'm very happy about that purchase.  So sorry to boast.

• Like 1
I looked into it just in case I can get one and from the photos I've found online and in Japan Railfan Magazine the emblem appears to be gold and three dimensional so something other than decals might be in order.  You'd also need the emblem and crossed Japanese flags for the front of the train.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Gw8vfu7H16A/0.jpg

http://kura1.photozou.jp/pub/353/230353/photo/158686986_624.jpg

Ahh now I remember seeing the gold emblem. Should be doable with some gold foil and a little embossing. I looked to be only 3mm in diameter scale so going to be tiny. Front flags can be made pretty easily.

Jeff

Ahh now I remember seeing the gold emblem. Should be doable with some gold foil and a little embossing. I looked to be only 3mm in diameter scale so going to be tiny. Front flags can be made pretty easily.

Jeff

Check out this website: http://j-power.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2013-08-28

Unfortunately my Japanese is atrocious, but the auto-translate seems to indicate that it came from an older Kato set... Hmmm...

West, Ooh a rare beast! You should start selling decals! Fmodels had the emperior's car as of last week. Jeff

Fmodels replied that they had one left and I could have it if I wanted.  I said yes of course.

Finally bit the bullet and bought the train that started my obsession with the shinkansen.  :)

My Favorite Shinkansen! That was exactly what got me into N scale! Welcome to the shinkansen world!

Was in camp training for the last week and got disconnected from the forum... And the postman!

Collected my parcel(s) today from the post office, courtesy of Loco1 !

Love my Zipangu and the bus collection 18 with case! 

post-819-0-16515200-1379152166_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-96679100-1379152169_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-42751300-1379152173_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-54822700-1379152175_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-98177800-1379152177_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-44525100-1379152179_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-46360900-1379152181_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-07431200-1379152183_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-06325300-1379152187_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-53151300-1379152188_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-23288000-1379152383_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-89600700-1379152386_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-78421000-1379152387_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-89385900-1379152389_thumb.jpg

I always find it nice to see how you can recognize the 485 series in those joyful train conversions. Especially the Moha cars look untouched except for the livery.

And nice bus station! I've liked that model for quite a while.

Just arrived: two Tomytec Tetsudou Musume Portrams (red and blue) with motor units (which apparently sold out yet again, but not until after I got mine, phew). Haven't even unboxed them yet, but I should have them running on the layout tonight to see how they work.  These are ultimately going on my small One Point Five Meter Line layout (I really need to think up a better name).

• Like 1
Just arrived: two Tomytec Tetsudou Musume Portrams (red and blue) with motor units (which apparently sold out yet again, but not until after I got mine, phew). Haven't even unboxed them yet, but I should have them running on the layout tonight to see how they work.  These are ultimately going on my small One Point Five Meter Line layout (I really need to think up a better name).

Received mine from Loco1Hobby as well.  While they look very nice, to be honest, I think the Kato trams are a much better unit.  Because of the need to drop out the floor, wheels and interiors for the motor units, I can't help feeling that I have paid $$$ for two basic shells and a panto (OK, the printing IS very nice).

Received mine from Loco1Hobby as well.  While they look very nice, to be honest, I think the Kato trams are a much better unit.  Because of the need to drop out the floor, wheels and interiors for the motor units, I can't help feeling that I have paid $$$ for two basic shells and a panto (OK, the printing IS very nice).

Well, that's true. But I look at it as US$45-50 for Tomytec vs US$85 for Kato (HS pricing with motor). For almost half-again more you get half an interior (window level and up), head/tail lights and interior lighting. You also get a tram that rides a little lower and looks more realistic in operation.  There's certainly value in Kato's version.

But on the flip side, the Tomytec (at least in my experience) is MUCH more forgiving of poor trackwork.  My Kato Centram derails if I look at it cross-eyed. The Tomytec's just run, and run, and run...

And in terms of appearance, while Kato might have a small edge in molded detail (its pantographs look finer and more realistic, for example, to the extent that plastic ones can), the two are really very close in quality of printing and shell detail.

I spent a couple of hours running mine last night, and wrote up a comparison for my blog, and I have to say I'm very happy with them.

Ken,

good points, i agree with my experience with the kato and tomytec portams and what we have observed with the club. Other big difference is repairability of them. Tomix is pretty easy to pull apart, kato not easy at all.

Always trade offs, just have to figure out what your priorities are and realize you rarely can have it all!

Cheers

Jeff

Edited by cteno4
Martijn Meerts

Only thing I've been ordering lately are toys for the parrot.. He's chewing through them like they're free :)

I do need to get some occupancy detectors soon though, considering the first section of my hidden yard is (finally) close to being wired up.

• Like 1
Only thing I've been ordering lately are toys for the parrot.. He's chewing through them like they're free :).

To him they are!

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

True enough :)

He's actually shown some interest in the wiring of my hidden yard, but I'm fairly certain all the wires and terminal blocks and whatnot are very chewable in his mind. He's terrified of the trains themselves though, especially once they start moving ..

Anyway, ordered a bunch of occupancy detectors for the 2nd section of the yard. Only 3 turnouts left to wire on the first section, and then some additional wiring and the main power bus. I may actually get the thing done after all, imagine that ;)

What do you use for occupancy detection, Martijn? I ask because I'm rethinking my approach (feel free to post on your project thread rather than replying here)?

Martijn Meerts

I'm using the S88 bus occupancy detectors from Littfinski (http://www.ldt-infocenter.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:rm-gb-8-n) Buying them in kit form considering building the things is straight forward and I save quite a bit like that considering I need lots of them. They should also be pretty solid considering they use them on the huge layout at Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg.

Obviously, you need a command station that supports the S88 bus :)

My emperor's car showed up yesterday! very nice. now to work on the tiny seals and flags! trying to make flags that will move a little when the train does.

someone should print up a scad of them at shapeways, they could make a quick buck!

cheers

jeff

Guest keio6000
I bought the Kato E217 10-843/4/5/6 on Yahoo for ¥24,000.  Vendor claimed it had been used for display only and never run.  I confirm it never run.  RRP: ¥36,200.  My saving was 33%.  I'm very happy about that purchase.  So sorry to boast.

Congratulations!  Can you help me understand something?  Maybe I just didnt notice recently, but do the E217s that run to Yokosuka now have the lighter blue stripe?   Why did they change it?  I liked the dark blue and it was consistent with the old blue/beige EMUs better, too.

I don't yet have an E217--not really sure if i should - but if I do I think I will find the old dark blue stripe one on Yahoo.  One thing I love about Japanese collectors is how when a new livery is introduced the old one (for Kato and Tomix, not so much for Microace) goes cheaply on Yahoo and in shops.   Good examples of this include the old Super View Odoriko livery, E1, E3 and 400 series shinkansen... and even N700 series shinkansen where collectors are selling off their N700s to buy N700As.. basically a new decal!  (of course, I bought my N700 just before the As came out.. but I got a good golden week price anyway).

Not much interesting ordered, just a Greenmax motor for my Keikyu 1000 (...).

Keikyu 1000 or N1000? ;)

Also, if a 1000, economy kit or pre-painted (if Greenmax as well)

• Like 1