Ugliest Trains?

Guest keio6000

SuRoNeFu 25-501

Oh god, I'm almost having fatigue when seeing that monster!  :toothy12:

Pretty sure they've registered their marriage certificate that night  :laughing6:

Personally I find the Siemens Inspiro trains of the Warsaw Metro very eye-offending.

Innotrans_07.jpg

The old Metrowagonmash cars are so much nicer.

I totally agree.

The inspiro is the worst design for a subway train.

And this was the planned version for the London Underground.

screen-shot-2013-10-20-at-19-37-27.png

"the futuristic design will kill trains" (quote from myself)

• Like 1

"the futuristic design will kill trains" (quote from myself)

CAUH7oU.png

I hate the future. It can go back to where it came from.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

It looks like TfL would like to buy something like this instead:

Ntfl-exterior-platform.jpg

(it looks like an actual train with a train like front)

SuRoNeFu 25-501

It looks like TfL would like to buy something like this instead:

Ntfl-exterior-platform.jpg

(it looks like an actual train with a train like front)

At least this would be much better than the planned version...

SuRoNeFu 25-501

(snipped)

Seriosly Denmark, what the...   Is that an Airplane tire in front of it?

At least I could think that someone "slaps" a large amount of rubber tire into the train's front end  :grin  :grin

Those are made like that to make it easy to couple multiple sets together. When they couple, the rubber serves as a diaphragm. Then the complete cab slides away, after which it is possible to walk between both sets. EMU versions of these also run in Belgium by the way.

I feel the ugliest looking train is the new Yamagata Shinkansen Tsubasa scheme.... It looks like Ultraman put his underpants on his head!

Ewan

I missed the fact you said 'new' there and thought you were saying the best livery ever was the ugliest.

Shinkansen-e3-tsubasa_colour.jpg

2) You buy new rolling stock.

9828286_orig.jpg

Please, not again....

Damnit New Zealand!

Hmm, some years ago when I was in New Zealand the only reason I flew from Auckland to Wellington was to travel with these EMUs as these were made in Hungary by Ganz. It was so shocking that somebody could sell these trains for a country far-far away.

Ganz was able to make working equipment for nonstandard railways running on exotic gauges from bosnian to soviet wide gauge and sell them from Argentine to New Zealand and in the past to Spain and even rolling stock for the London tube electrification. If you look at the profile of the NZ EMU, it's clear that the train follows the standard british prewar emu outline but uses sliding door instead of the classic slamdoor type.

The Ganz's in Wellington are still running today although they're slowly being recplaced by the Korean units... They look quite good in their refurbished livery

post-921-0-02566500-1457208552_thumb.jpg

Edited by Eurostar25
  • Like 1

Didn't NZ buy a load of old British Rail MK2 coaches and convert them into loco hauled push-pull sets? I remember seeing photos of them in battered Anglia livery, after the metalwork had been done but before the repaint.

They sure did. They ran for about 10 years and only just have been retired from service as the new Spanish machines take over. They were made up of 4 car sets, one of which was converted into a drivers car to control the DC class loco pushing from the rear. There were a few that were used as 6 car services on the more busier routes. They filled the gap well at a time when Auckland transport was growing well.

They were nicknamed the purple people eaters.

post-921-0-43606100-1457233448_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-75127300-1457233462_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Ganz was able to make working equipment for nonstandard railways running on exotic gauges from bosnian to soviet wide gauge and sell them from Argentine to New Zealand and in the past to Spain and even rolling stock for the London tube electrification. If you look at the profile of the NZ EMU, it's clear that the train follows the standard british prewar emu outline but uses sliding door instead of the classic slamdoor type.

Looks similar to a Class 502 or a class 503 to me.

They sure did. They ran for about 10 years and only just have been retired from service as the new Spanish machines take over. They were made up of 4 car sets, one of which was converted into a drivers car to control the DC class loco pushing from the rear. There were a few that were used as 6 car services on the more busier routes. They filled the gap well at a time when Auckland transport was growing well.

They were nicknamed the purple people eaters.

When I visited NZ in 2005 I saw a set of the British Mk2s next to the ex Queensland SX set and was surprised to note the SX cars were larger than the Mk2s.  British rollingstock is very small for standard gauge.

I may be wrong (other kiwis on here feel free to correct me) but I think the Queensland SX set was sold off to South Africa? Either that it's its wrapped up in storage in a rural siding awaiting its fate. Kiwirail have moved about 20 or so of the SA/SD cars (Ex BR) to the middle of the North Island here in small town NZ away from vandals, awaiting sale or scrap I believe. South Africa seem to take a few of our old locomotives.

Or you could just put a real bus on the tracks with a wheel change and by adding a steering lock:

n09.jpg

(the ikarus 260 series bus on the picture was later converted back to road running and is still in use)

• Like 2
SuRoNeFu 25-501

Or you could just put a real bus on the tracks with a wheel change and by adding a steering lock:

(snipped)

(the ikarus 260 series bus on the picture was later converted back to road running and is still in use)

At least it does not went into too much fails like DMV does in the past  :grin