Ugliest Trains?

Guest keio6000

Takahama Trainwatcher

2617.jpg

Did they make it out of a bunch of spare parts?

Awww, that's a bit harsh. Admittedly, the red box around the white side is somewhat unsophisticated. I recall being struck by the ugliness of Melbourne's Seimans Nexas train, especially the first one used in testing. Ugh. I think someone in Railway Digest magazine at the time described it as "3rd World". Still, somebody probably likes it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SiemensFrankston.jpg

• Like 1

I don't think it's too bad, also the JR Shikoku 0 Series Shinkansen KiHa 32 is just a bit weird.

I feel the ugliest looking train is the new Yamagata Shinkansen Tsubasa scheme.... It looks like Ultraman put his underpants on his head!

Ewan

2617.jpg

Did they make it out of a bunch of spare parts?

Oh no !

I like it.  Actually!  There is harmony and balance between the mustard, pink and green. Don't you think?

Darklighter

According to wikipedia the livery was designed by Masuo Ikeda (池田 満寿夫). You shouldn't check his paintings.  :icon_biggrin:

BTW my "like" for the above post is expressing thanks to HantuBlauLOL for posting the picture, and does not represent my feelings towards the picture's subject.

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 1

I quite like it, but then I'm very partial to EF65s whatever livery they carry!

Actually i like that yellow warning panel livery. Also it's actually pretty much a standard electric locomotive paint:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b0/MAV_V43-1103_02.JPG/640px-MAV_V43-1103_02.JPG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ja/thumb/8/89/Jre-matsudo-kumoya143-20.jpg/640px-Jre-matsudo-kumoya143-20.jpg

Edited by kvp
Takahama Trainwatcher

They tried to slap a Siemens Velaro cab on a Toei 6000, it didn't ends well.

KRL+Toei6000+Djokolelono2.png

Nice "Photoshopping".... because this can't be real, can it? Surely?

Claude_Dreyfus

Rewind a couple of years (thanks to the threads being merged), but I do happen to like this livery...

Nah, it appears to actually be used by JR Freight

PICT3288_EF65-1059.jpg

...for much the same reasons as Dave.

Leave it alone, it's the only thing I can tie together with my beloved Large Logo BR trains. :P

50015%20Ramsbottom_zpsovwcpcue.jpg

There...that's better!

• Like 1

They tried to slap a Siemens Velaro cab on a Toei 6000, it didn't ends well.

KRL+Toei6000+Djokolelono2.png

Are those sunglasses he is wearing? Fashion eyewear still does not make him look good! haha

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

I would like to point out that if you removed the black paint and the side windows from the front of a JRC 383 series train, you would get something really similar. They were apparently trying to copy the stainless steel side with normal steel front painted white with an orange line color scheme of the JR Central.

post-1969-0-11757800-1437254392.jpg

post-1969-0-11757800-1437254392_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
HantuBlauLOL

Nice "Photoshopping".... because this can't be real, can it? Surely?

It's real.

67z-00701.jpg

There are some different cabs used for Toei 6000 in Indonesia, check my instagram @irfangf , I've posted their pictures.

Also another one.. This train is actually beautiful, but when its black paint wasn't painted yet..

5329098163_e56b4bdb25_b.jpg

Haloween pumpkin lol.

Edited by HantuBlauLOL
  • Like 1

Rewind a couple of years (thanks to the threads being merged), but I do happen to like this livery...

...for much the same reasons as Dave.

50015%20Ramsbottom_zpsovwcpcue.jpg

There...that's better!

Mmmh, a Hoover with some Mk2s! Nice.

Funnily enough, among many of my ambitious ambitions is to repaint a few British locos I have into proper (i.e. blue) livery, and as I have zero skills it occurred to me while pondering the issue some time ago that junk Japanese locos (available by the bucketload for peanuts) would make ideal practice testbeds, and moreover that Large Logo blue would look very fetching on an EF65.

No offence to Nankai Rapit fans but I really feel the Nankai Rapit to be the ugliest train for me... I mean, the shape of its nose and everything is just...  X_X

But maybe the winner for me:

30000.jpg

Odakyu 30000 EXE

I call it "The Brown Flash". It's maybe the fact that I have to deal with this train every time I ride Odakyu, which is a lot. Still, it reminds me of the lyrics of a Linkin Park song "I tried so hard, and go so far. In the end it doesn't even matter." I try to like this train, because it runs on my line. I try to like it because it's a convenient design (6+4 cars), but damn... It's just not getting in! No matter how I push myself to like it! Odakyu had/has some great designs, but this is just the epitome of uninspired corporate boredom. If the livery were different, the train would be a bit better, but no. This is maybe the most boring, ugly piece of excrement that runs on the Japanese networks of today. This train isn't even trying to look nice. It's not even functional in its front design. So much potential. So little achieved.

The only time I've been on a Romance Car, it was one of these. Worse, it was a non-smoking car (can't remember if they're all non-smoking now) which had evidently previously been a smoking car. And they say romance is dead... it certainly is on the Odakyu line... checks the Interwebs... yup, I remember those when they first came out in 1996 and a student commuting on the Odakyu...

• Like 1
HantuBlauLOL

No offence to Nankai Rapit fans but I really feel the Nankai Rapit to be the ugliest train for me... I mean, the shape of its nose and everything is just...  X_X

..just awsome.