Ugliest Trains?

Guest keio6000

I've always found the very low Talgo coaches combined with the very high American diesels to be looking very strange, but this is something completely different. I have to agree with you that it is a winner.

Here's a video:

• Like 1

This train type normally looks like this:

http://www.railwayage.com/media/k2/items/cache/47e2b22d69a7922304424628c752f180_L.jpg

(it's a rather boring european high speed nose on the front of the single axle articulated cars)

However, if you add FRA compliance requirements, you get the dino head on your link...

http://www.talgo.com/img_montaje/trenes_ficha/ilustracion/Serie8_USA.jpg

(side view drawing)

it could be compared with the european variant:

http://www.talgo.com/img_montaje/trenes_ficha/ilustracion/txxiG.jpg

(the driver is seated around 2 meters closer to the tip of the much lighter nose)

On the other side of the world in Russia, the same train is used without the power head:

http://www.train-photo.ru/data/media/159/IMG_0446_.jpg

(it's the loco hauled rake variant, with flat end cars)

Err, kvp, you know that is an artist impression of how a Talgo train could be build? The Amtrak Cascades Talgo sets are also loco hauled consists, but apparently Amtrak ordered two new sets in 2013 with a driving cab at one side instead of a standard generator car. (Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amtrak_Cascades#Rolling_stock )

This video shows Amtrak Cascades consists without driving cabs:

The difference is not beween using two power heads on a standalone railcar or a generator/cab car on a push pull set, but between the two cab designs. The russian and cabless US variants look almost the same (except the cosmetic batcar wings added to the US sets), but the US cab car has a much bulkier front than the european variants that doesn't have to follow FRA collision standards. I would say the cab/baggage (cabbage) units on the cabless sets look way better than the new, integrated cab variant. A non FRA compliant light weight (euro) nose would be even better.

kevsmiththai

No question for me. The GE class 70s acquired by Freightliner well justify their 'Fuglies' nickname

7-12-2014_003%202_zpsatfz7ub8.jpg

Although they do seem to have stopped bursting onto flames now!

03-19-2014_1009302_zpsd83toqtq.jpg

Contrast them with the Class 68s we have put into service at the rail company I work for. I think these look distinctly cat like

IMG_1834_zpsmyw50wee.jpg

Kev

• Like 1

Ok, if we are talking about north america, how about these:

http://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2921/14496522536_af102bbde3_b.jpg

They are called railbuses and serve several native communities in British Columbia, Canada. They are the extremly high floor, very few axles type and also rather short. In the past, these lines had 3-5 car budd rdc-s. I can't figure out the trail of thought of the designer if there was any.

The Talgo I is not just ugly but downright CREEPY.

dUSlPCZ.jpg

Every post prior to this is irrelevant. NOW this thread is getting somewhere. Well done, Suica.

• Like 4

Jeez, that's hideous. Reminds me of the fish that live at the very bottom of the ocean.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2

Reminds me of the fish that live at the very bottom of the ocean.

...which is used in the delicacy kaiteizushi 海底寿司*.  Doubly on-topic!

*I may have made this up.

• Like 1
Davo Dentetsu

Those nekomimi Talgo baggage cars... my god.

KLVhbm6.jpg

The Talgo I is not just ugly but downright CREEPY.

dUSlPCZ.jpg

How the bloody hell are we meant to top this?  Man... Totoro's Catbus face sure is creepy in metal form... :S

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Perhaps not technically a train, but it does have couplers.

This 1962 image shows a "switcher" the PRR used for industrial street trackage in Baltimore.

gallery_941_135_21267.jpg

• Like 1

That's just a skid steer road rail tractor. Similar ones are still in use around the world. Not ugly at all and very useful.

Imho that talgo 1 would make a pretty good end boss in most japanese video games...

• Like 1

Those nekomimi Talgo baggage cars... my god.

KLVhbm6.jpg

To be fair, the fins really do help the look when paired with an F59phi.

Cascades

That talgo 1 really is atrocious though, I can't believe someone thought that a decorative cowcatcher would improve the look.

• Like 1

I can't believe someone thought that a decorative cowcatcher would improve the look.

I have to think that it wasn't part of the original design, but was added for pragmatic reasons after the train was put in service - and had nothing at all to do with looks.

No doubt over the strenuous objections of the outraged designer.

For my taste it's more strange than ugly.

Now those Talgo baggage cars are strange AND ugly.

For the talgo prototype:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1777719

(the back with the main passenger door looks similarly strange, like a theme park ride)

The european version of the non streamlined cab:

320px-Bf_Linares-Baeza%2C_Talgo7-Endwage

(imho it would never pass any american crash safety regulation, not even for trams)

The high speed batwing variant from Spain:

320px-Talgo_350.jpg

(it combines ugly with impractical, but at least it's fast)

To be fair, the fins really do help the look when paired with an F59phi.

No, they don't. But then an FP59whatsit is hardly a thing of beauty either. It amazes me that in a country that produced such timeless classics of design such as E-units, F-units and the Alco FAs/PAs, ugly, bland and derivative things like this are what passes for good industrial design these days.

Then I look at the ugly rubbish we run on our railway now, and just sigh in resignation.

Sydney_Trains_A_set_%28Waratah%29_depart

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton

Here's my candidate for the ugliest photoshopped train.

At lease - I sure hope it is !

gallery_941_192_20554.jpg

Hello,

Ugly?  Yes!

Real?  No!  This is a well-known fake image, although it is fun to look at!

Surely this is a well-known image. 

But can we find out the original image or atleast the company that operates the non-photoshopped units?

And the original creepy Talgo ranks first on my list of the ugliest trains ever made.

(the second is the Nankai 5000 "Rapi:t")

Edited by DavideTreni

But can we find out the original image or atleast the company that operates the non-photoshopped units?

It's the Yokkaichi Asunarou Railway, formerly operated by Kintetsu. They operate two 762mm narrow gauge lines in Mie prefecture.

5Qbv955.jpg

Edited by Suica
  • Like 1