Ugliest Trains?

Guest keio6000

I'd be hard pressed to say there are any Japanese trains or locos I find ugly. I agree with Ochanomizu, not knowing the brief or design requirements might make it harder for us to to appreciate the appearance of a particular train. As I'm traincrew, I tend to look more at the practical/functional aspects of a design first, and give that greater priority than the aesthetics, but that's just me. On my railway, the trains that most people think are ugly are my favourites to work, because they are very functional. 

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1
In a way this whole thread is very disrespectful of our Japanese partners on the board.

Yes, I hope the Japanese forum members do not think that we are commenting on Japan in any way, I always look forward to reading their posts.  I don't think keio6000 meant the thread to be offensive.

In a way this whole thread is very disrespectful of our Japanese partners on the board.

Hey, I did say the ugliest train I ever saw was French. :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

I'm Japanese and did not find the post offensive at all. I've participated in numerous conversations with my Japanese friends about "ugly" trains, Japanese ones included.

• Like 1

You should see how they go down on the internet and tv about things in general. ;)

I think this is very interesting thread for Japanese train fans on the contrary. Over a good drink, I also have these discussions with my friends here in Japanland. As Minelayer said, this is maybe even fun, because it's a recognisable discussion.

1024px-Toei_E5003_Magome.jpg

Looks like someone took a brick and gave it wheels.

jrfEF65-11h-doriken.jpg

Not the train, but I think that is a grotesque livery. Just looks like an eyesore.

• Like 1

I think we need to exclude work trains :) .  As for that EF65, is that one used outside the yard?  I wonder if it's only used for switching, it looks a bit like a "safety" livery.

I think we need to exclude work trains :) .  As for that EF65, is that one used outside the yard?  I wonder if it's only used for switching, it looks a bit like a "safety" livery.

Nah, it appears to actually be used by JR Freight

PICT3288_EF65-1059.jpg

ef65-1059-042.jpg

I think it got taken out of service though

EF65-1059 was used by JRF. but that livery is a JRF's test livery.
It's a unique one. so in Japan, It's called "センゴック". that means "1059".
I think, that livery is inspired by work trains. 

Normally, EF65 is other few livery.

EF65-1059 was scrapped in 2009. That livery is not used now.

ahh...

For me, "Ugly" train is seems like interesting and characteristic.
So I think "Ugly " is not "disparage". It's a expression of love. 
  • Like 1
Davo Dentetsu
jrfEF65-11h-doriken.jpg

Not the train, but I think that is a grotesque livery. Just looks like an eyesore.

Leave it alone, it's the only thing I can tie together with my beloved Large Logo BR trains. :P

Edited by Azumanga Davo
  • Like 2

Leave it alone, it's the only thing I can tie together with my beloved Large Logo BR trains. :P

Sorry  :sad7:

That's a bit odd though, now that you mention it I have no issue with the BR trains with the large logo on it but I can't stand that JR Livery at all. I don't understand that

Somehow I also agree with the viewpoint of practical vs design. While I dislike the looks of modern rail vehicles where I live they are even less practical too! The old high-floor square trams were the best among all for example considering comfort and silence for people on the street. I thought we were mainly going on about design here in first instance but it is surely interesting to read all those different opinions! :)

Davo Dentetsu
Sorry  :sad7:

That's a bit odd though, now that you mention it I have no issue with the BR trains with the large logo on it but I can't stand that JR Livery at all. I don't understand that

Heh, no worries.  Different strokes for different folks, right? ;)

Just by coincidence I stumbled across these (former Hanshin?) trains that were once active on the Takamatsu Kotohira Electric Railway (Kotoden):

http://ameblo.jp/b1hanabusa/entry-11281760399.html

http://ameblo.jp/b1hanabusa/entry-11175562097.html

Mainly the one in the first pictures looks hideous; as if there's no driver cab at all and with those type doors you wouldn't expect at the front of a train at all. Much worse than those converted 113 series units mentioned before.

The one on the second picture of the second link is quite ugly as well and the one on the last picture of the page looks so weird I don't know how to comment on it. :S

• Like 1
Nah, it appears to actually be used by JR Freight

PICT3288_EF65-1059.jpg

ef65-1059-042.jpg

I think it got taken out of service though

On a Tam Tam layout.

jrfEF65-11h-doriken.jpg

You reckon? I quite like it, but then I'm very partial to EF65s whatever livery they carry!

Cheers,

Mark.

Yes, I hope the Japanese forum members do not think that we are commenting on Japan in any way, I always look forward to reading their posts.  I don't think keio6000 meant the thread to be offensive.

Does one berate a child for an erroneous remark said with innocence?

It was not my intent to change the direction of the thread in this manner. 

I am not offended by the topic or the responses and did not make such representations.

When the aesthetic is not pleasing to the eye one must look for beauty elsewhere,  That is my claim.

Edited by Ochanomizu
Mudkip Orange

Nominating both the BART A-units *and* the Meitetsu 7k? Minelayer's gotta be smokin' some of that crack rock.

A-units are awesome provided they've had a pressure washer taken to them recently.

That EF65 with the yellow nose is pretty bad. But I'd really have to nominate the JNR 63 series, both for its looks and for its ridiculous firetrap construction.

Guest keio6000

Sorry I must have been napping, but I just found out about this one.  This is horrible.

7480698988_840e4c1520_z.jpg

The reverse(err.. or different train - both going to ikebukuro)  is not as bad, but still...

8037274736_35d3b09a54_z.jpg

so to show that my taste doesnt account for much, the upcoming microace release of this is selling well..

plus bonus points for ugliness for starting with a pretty good looking train.

5926419744_b4da23490f.jpg

and before somebody accuses me of being too old, yes i get that this is galaxy express 999...

Edited by keio6000
Nick_Burman
Good call on the Sotetsu 5000/7000.  I was going to post this too, and also the Tosa Kuroshio Railway 9640, but the system was giving me trouble posting images for a while.

But I agree, say it ain't so Meitetsu 7000!  Classic train.

Furano Express probably is not bad from a passenger experience, what with the big windows.  It's just the exterior.. ugg..

Fukushima Kotsu have taken some decent enough Tokyu 7000s and, while their basic scheme is boring but "ok", they have made a few quite ugly indeed:

fukusima7000.jpg

At least they have a good reason for being like that...Tokyu built them from the middle cars of retired 7000s. The end cars were much nicer...

Cheers NB

I think I have to revise my vision on the Sōtetsu 7000 Series... I saw one the other day, in good nick, shiny and polished. They're actually very beautiful trains...

• Like 1
Claude_Dreyfus

Maybe not the cutest train in the world, but the model is a cracking little runner!

• Like 1

It's just a bad paint. Here is a paintbrushed fantasy version:

post-1969-0-65928400-1437174446.png

Only orange was added in two basic shades and the front door color was changed to match the side doors. Everything else is left as is.

post-1969-0-65928400-1437174446_thumb.png

Edited by kvp
  • Like 3