Bandai B-Train Shorty

Welshbloke

Hi,

I've got a question for you btrain experts : I've got some tramway (I guess) 2 cars trains I'd like to motorize, but their chassis seems to be very specific, with a central bogey :

I don't understand what kind of boggey or motor assembly I should use for this typical kind of trains. Maybe it's just impossible ?

Another question, concerning the Btrain oval track set (available on hobby search for example) : it seems really cheap, is it compatible with other brands of N track ?

thank you !

I've never seen a central bogey for the B Trains. Nothing's impossible though and just because I've never seen one doesn't mean it's not out there. You can buy one motorized chassis for the first car and bogeys for the second car. Bandai and Kato make both.

The Bandai track that I have is all plastic. Won't conduct electricity, so not so hot for a layout I'd think.

Todd

sundaytrain

Hi,

Concerning track, I was refering this set :

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10036351

seems to be metal. Very cheap indeed.

Concerning the central boggey trains, I have to see if I can "cheat" using a standard motorized chassis (2 boggeys) and hide it under the plastic dummy plate of the train...I don't know.

Or...Perhaps I should keep these trains in their box forever...lol

thanks

edit : oups I just answered during your posting, Densha. Thank you for the help, I'll take a look on the link and come back here.

Edited by sundaytrain

Densha, that would work. It's got the foam idea for the diaphragms. Sunday, maybe you could use a motorized chassis and take off one of the bogies and use two more unpowered bogies on the others.

Todd

sundaytrain

typical 2 bogeys/8 wheels btrain motor chassis 's got one dummy boggey, and one with traction wheels ?

On densha link, it seems that some wire goes from one car to the other one...Weird. I even don't understand where is the motor chassis (center, front, rear ?)...

On the Post-Pet Enoden 500 (I have 2 sets!) I don't see a way to retain the central bogey - the cars are standard shorty length so your only option would be to go with a power chassis in one car and trailing trucks in the other with a total of 4 bogeys...

My 2 motors seem to be struggling a bit now despite me cleaning off my track. Like the one specifically for electric and diesel locomotives is really jerky, and while my emu and dmu one is chugging along alright, it's not really going as well as it used to.

I think the one in my link has two motorized cars (the yellow block on the scheme), and the middle bogie isn't powered. The text with the arrow pointing to the two wires says "リード線" which I think means lead wire.

Maybe only one of the two powered bogies can pick up current so it has to give current to the other power unit as well?

I'm wondering about the connection of the middle bogie to the two cars though, how's that done with the static bogie you have?

sundaytrain

It's not really a bogey, just two plastic plates simulating a central bogey. In fact, it's just and extra long cars connection.

The BandaI power unit 3 chassis is 8 wheel drive and I think the Kato powered chassis only has one set of driven wheels. It's 4 wheel drive but has 8 wheel pickup. Looks like what the fellow in Densha's link has done is taken off one bogie from each of two Kato powered motorized chassis. The driven bogies are the front and rear. He may have wired the middle bogie as another pickup. 

3bogie.png

sundaytrain

It makes sense, I'm not sure how it would be difficult. I never had any motor chassis for now.

I'll take detailed pics of the train tonight, to show you how it is.

thanks !

I gotta say, you've got a good taste! I spot trains from the Keihan Ōtsu lines, Shikoku stuff (2000 series and DF50+coaches), and all other JNR/JR/Odakyu stuff is a very good choice IMO too! I'm only not a fan of Hankyu, but that's just my fault. :P

Of course since Hankyu is the best private railway :P

And yeah, quite an array there. I'm not trying to show them off, but my last attempts at showing all of them was in bad lighting. Our kitchen area has better lighting so i decided to redo the pictures.

What's with that tank car?? That so not happened on the real railway.

I'm glad it's a b-train shorty though, now I don't have to spend more money. :P

I found this video of the train on youtube, I had no idea this train had these ads:

Thanks for the video Densha :)

Here is a video featuring the 2 car unit. It would be very nice if Tomytec released a full size version of this in the future.

On the video I was looking for the tank at the back of the train but I guess they maybe left it behind on that day :laughing6:

I think it's a lot of fun and I am looking forward to it's release.

Hankyu is my new favorite, it is the line my daughter is using to get to school at the moment.  She is also using the JR line to get to Kyoto and Osaka...  So I had to buy some Hankyu trains for my layout!  The JR 223 -2000 and 321 that they use for the JR line I already had...

Edited by nickhp

Those couplers that you can slot in to the shorty trucks.

I know they come in the tight locking things, but do they make ones that would fit in the knuckle style?

Heh Heh ~

An Ibaraki Girls & Panzer train? Interesting! There was a bus before: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10226751

And now a B-train? http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10235406

Anyone saw the anime before? I was can't get the relationship between the girls, and the Panzer tank... Discover the logo on the train very very similar to the previous 'Nazi' logo, which was printed on Panzer tanks. I reckon the train is a Kiha, from the sound and the absence of pantagraph and all...

So far I know the anime is about girls using historic tanks to battle each other in some sort of weird thought-up school setting. I didn't really like the idea so I didn't watch it, but apparently it's popular if it's getting both a Tomytec bus and a b-train shorty.

Actually I see now that the Rinkai railway is also located in Ibaraki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashima_Rinkai_Railway

Edited by Densha

Keikyu, if you are asking if you can get knuckle style couplers to fit in the Kato b train trucks, the answer is yes!  Part number 11-721 is black and includes the air hoses, part number 11-702 is black without the air hoses.

• Like 1