Bandai B-Train Shorty

Welshbloke

There are kato 8 wheel and 4 wheel drive mechs just like bandai. Main deference is that the kato have the fixed bogie side frames, the bandai you can pop the btrain side frames on.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10032823

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10032821

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10030554

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10067127

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10003598

Cheers

Jeff

Edited by cteno4
There are kato 8 wheel and 4 wheel drive mechs just like bandai. Main deference is that the kato have the fixed bogie side frames, the bandai you can pop the btrain side frames on.

Cheers

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Sorry, the kato bogie power units are only driven at one end on 2 axles.  Electrical power is picked up at both ends.  Only the Bandai bogie chassis 3 and 4 are powered on all axles. 

Cheers

Nick

Nick,

Mean culpa! I never looked at the 4 axle unit and you are so right only 2 axles powered! Glad I only got one of them and have a bandai coming to compare! Was also hoping the bandai one is a bit heavier as the kato is very light weight.

Cheers

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

Hi,

Just a quick note that my first B-Train Shorty package arrived last week. I also took the opportunity to order some track, and off course, a motorised chassis and bogie kits, from Hobby Search Japan:

B Train Shorty Nankai Electric Railway Series 10000 Late Color (4-Car Set) (Model Train) [i liked the look of this model, and they had it in stock]

Power Unit 3 for B Train Shorty Electric Car & Diesel Car (Model Train)

Bogie For Small Train : Express Train 1 (1pair) (B Train Shorty Support Parts) (Model Train) x 3

Unitrack Compact [CV1] Unitrack Compact Oval Set (Model Train)

Unitrack Straight Track 248mm (9 3/4``) < S248 > (4pcs.) (Model Train)

Unitrack Snap Track Conversion Track 62mm (2 7/16``) < S62J > (2pcs.) (Model Train) x 2 [i have some old non-ballasted n-scale track that I might still want to use]

Other vendors had individual items cheaper, but Hobby Search had all the items I wanted in stock, and I probably saved on paying one lot of shipping (1,080 YEN).

I already have a 12v DC Life-Like controller from a HO set, which I'll be using with this set.

Below is a photograph of the purchase (I need to get a better digital camera before setting it all up and making a video):

amz5h4.jpg

Edited by j_doug
  • Like 1

Does anyone know if it is possible to use a 4 axle power unit with a B-Train shorty locomotive that has been designed for the 2 axle unit?

Alright, as promised.

eJDk5Cb.png

UOwiP9h.png

Does anyone know if it is possible to use a 4 axle power unit with a B-Train shorty locomotive that has been designed for the 2 axle unit?

I'm sure it is, I have seen some pictures of people doing it.

iphone_20120125160229.jpg

I'm not entirely sure how they do it unfortunately.

hello, nice to meet you all

Alright, as promised.

eJDk5Cb.png

UOwiP9h.png

I'm sure it is, I have seen some pictures of people doing it.

iphone_20120125160229.jpg

I'm not entirely sure how they do it unfortunately.

I modified bandai power unit #3 to fit b-train loco chasis. Modification was made ​​by cutting and gluing some parts of the chassis, but not perfectly fit in the chassis.

Modification example using EF64-1000 akebono train set

swo3.jpg

Edited by a3g1s
  • Like 1
hello, nice to meet you all

I modified bandai power unit #3 to fit b-train loco chasis. Modification was made ​​by cutting and gluing some parts of the chassis, but not perfectly fit in the chassis.

Modification example using EF64-1000 akebono train set

Thanks! So it's doable but not trivial and requires way more modifications than the motorisation of a tomytec train. Actually I was thinking along the lines of having a small boxcab loco that matches my older full length (12 meter) emus. If I can find a nice brown or blue engine I'll try it.

Krackel Hopper

One option often overlooked for B-Train Power Units:

Make the Loco a dummy.  Place the power unit inside the passenger car consist.

Of course that only works if you plan to run that loco with a powered consist behind.

I plan on doing this with all my sleeper sets (Hokutosei, Twilight & Cassiopeia) because I have a pair of Hokkaido DD51s that I'd like to swap in and out with the EF81 & EF510s.  Unfortunately, do to the way the B-Train DD51 is made, there is no room for a power unit.

One option often overlooked for B-Train Power Units:

Make the Loco a dummy.  Place the power unit inside the passenger car consist.

Of course that only works if you plan to run that loco with a powered consist behind.

I plan on doing this with all my sleeper sets (Hokutosei, Twilight & Cassiopeia) because I have a pair of Hokkaido DD51s that I'd like to swap in and out with the EF81 & EF510s.  Unfortunately, do to the way the B-Train DD51 is made, there is no room for a power unit.

Yes that works fine. We've done that with many different trains.

Unfortunately, do to the way the B-Train DD51 is made, there is no room for a power unit.

The DD51 does have room for the Bandai Power Unit.  In the 10th anniversary B Train book there is a section showing how to install it and the instructions probably do too, though I can't remember since it has been a while since I built mine and put a power chassis 3 in it...

Take a look at this very cool Naruto design B-train, which was released on the 13/12/13.

Yes that's very nice! Wish there was a N scale for that...

Here's the video of the real train... It seems there are two variations, the Kiha-40 and the Kiha-120? 

I love painted trains!

• Like 3
Yes that's very nice! Wish there was a N scale for that...

Here's the video of the real train... It seems there are two variations, the Kiha-40 and the Kiha-120? 

I love painted trains!

That's a great video. The B-Train is a the kiha-120 version. Tomytec really need to release this in either the kiha-40 or kiha-120 versions.

:)

The Jyoshin DEKI 1 is actually one of the few B trains that work well with standard N-gauge trains.

Gawd, I'm so glad I bought one!

The Deki 1 looks great!! Is that the pantograph that came with the model? (it looks pretty good) Or did you you fit a replacement?

I have Tomix PS13 I was thinking about using.

Edited by dabsan
The Deki 1 looks great!! Is that the pantograph that came with the model? (it looks pretty good) Or did you you fit a replacement?

I have Tomix PS13 I was thinking about using.

Not my video, but the pantograph you have to buy separately. I'd recommend the biggest double arm for the best atmosphere ;)

Grr, my B-Train order for December has been held up by the Panzer train. I didn't really care for the painted train, but the mini tank on the flatcar was way too neat to pass on. But it's releasing after the rest of the ones I ordered so I have to wait a while for all of them.

Thanks Tony for the video. I gambled on ordering this from HS so was pleased to see it can be used with normal N gauge rolling stock.

Malcolm