What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

Today I did a test run with the Keihan 800 and it is not as smooth as the other MA trains I own, but it's okayish. The motor makes a little bit more noise than the motors of my other trains, but apart from that it doesn't perform badly.

It's my first MA model, so wasn't sure what to expect. Mine does sound a bit rough at slower speeds; the guy in the shop mentioned it might improve after running in a bit. I'll give it a run later today. It did take a dislike to one of the Kato #4 points in one direction, but as it only seems to be that particular one, the point itself might be the issue.

The second link of yours, does that show the rest of the lights working is the interior light is added? The photo was a very poor low light photo and made it really difficult to see.

And yes prototype would be all lighting on at all times.

No, it doesn't. Because as you can see the light conducting plastic is not attached to the interior lightning in that way. I just meant that if you look at those photos you can see that there is actually a light conductor, but that it is not attached to anything. It looks like it was prepared for full skirt lightning but that they just took out the functionality in the end. We'll have to wait for someone who creates a good solution.

Well, not really so far I've seen on pictures and video. Usually it's just the two lights above the windows and the skirt lightning on, that's also what the models does as you can see in my picture.

It's my first MA model, so wasn't sure what to expect. Mine does sound a bit rough at slower speeds; the guy in the shop mentioned it might improve after running in a bit. I'll give it a run later today. It did take a dislike to one of the Kato #4 points in one direction, but as it only seems to be that particular one, the point itself might be the issue.

I personally didn't have any issues with new MA trains, but this one particularly makes quite a bit of noise and it also a bit rougher with running in general. I have only run it very shortly to check if it worked though so I can't tell you more than this.

My MA train is also runs roughly at first, but it will run smoother after you ran it for several times.

Well, my MA steamer (JNR class 9600) runs smoother than my Tomix EF81 after 5 years lol :D

• Like 1

I took delivery of an N Gauge rolling road yesterday.  Because my layout is only at the planning stage this enables me to run in locos that I keep buying, maybe I should concentrate on buying wood and track??

Good little product with an allen key supplied so you can rotate the spacer for the other gauges listed.

http://www.directtrainspares-burnley.co.uk/page2.html

I took delivery of an N Gauge rolling road yesterday.  Because my layout is only at the planning stage this enables me to run in locos that I keep buying, maybe I should concentrate on buying wood and track??

Good little product with an allen key supplied so you can rotate the spacer for the other gauges listed.

http://www.directtrainspares-burnley.co.uk/page2.html

What is the point of the product?

It's a set of wheels so you can test your engine statically as a test bed. Used a lot when fiddling with articulation issues on steam locos.

Jeff

• Like 1

Just ordered some stuff from Nariichi-san:-

Tomytec TM-LRT01

Kato 22-012-Power pack

Kato 20-004-Unitrack WS248PC x2

Kato 20-043-Unitrack WS62FPC

Kato 20-183-Unitrack WR315/282-45PC x3

Kato 20-184-Unitrack WR315/282-22.5PCAL/AR x2

Kato 10-848-Narita Express add-on set

Kato 20-890-Unitrack CV1

And an Australian 100-240V input, 15V 1.5A output transformer from Jaycar Australia to go with the Kato power pack.

A treadmill for you trains.

Also useful for those without a continuous loop who need to run their motive power units for extended periods.

Edited by railsquid

All my Micro Ace trains were a little rough running out of the box the first time. And slow speeds were jumpy. I just run them at full speed (in the red) for about 5 minutes, they loosen up and perform better after that.

That does seem to help somewhat, thanks. It doesn't sound quite so much like there's a diesel engine in there when running at slow speeds.

My MA train is also runs roughly at first, but it will run smoother after you ran it for several times.

Well, my MA steamer (JNR class 9600) runs smoother than my Tomix EF81 after 5 years lol :D

And your Tomix EF81 probably runs smoother than most of my new British locos  (heck, even the 20~25 year old Tomix EF60 I bought from the junk pile beats the pants off most of them...)

That does seem to help somewhat, thanks. It doesn't sound quite so much like there's a diesel engine in there when running at slow speeds.

And your Tomix EF81 probably runs smoother than most of my new British locos  (heck, even the 20~25 year old Tomix EF60 I bought from the junk pile beats the pants off most of them...)

those very expensive locos? (comparing to Japanese locos)

Claude_Dreyfus

those very expensive locos? (comparing to Japanese locos)

There isn't a perfect comparison, but the Farish class 60 (£93.00) vs Kato DF200 (£34.00) is pretty good... The 60 is a great model, but is it 3x better than the DF200? I think not.

I hope they'll use that to solve their split gear problem once and for all...

Comparision is always tricky because of exchange rates, but I'd say British stuff is easily 2 or 3 times more expensive than in Japan; while the cosmetic quality has certainly improved compared to the older British N-gauge items I've seen, the running quality of powered units is very variable.

On the other hand (something I keep forgetting), British N-gauge is still a bit of a minority so I suppose it hasn't benefitted from concentrated investment and development the way the market has in Japan.

I had to go out again and visit TamTam. Didn't get much.

- Greenmax Seibu 5000 Red Arrow Economy Kit. Maybe I'll get one more for extra cars, since I'm planning on making a fantasy Sagamihara Development Railway Ltd. Express oriented train. The build is interesting, since the front of the train is easily replaceable with a different design.

- Casco 12-car case foam, because more cars in a box is better. You know, for meetings and stuff.

post-188-0-18197900-1417160750_thumb.jpg

YEEEEEEEH!

• Like 1

4 parcels in past 48 hours:-

8800 yen from yahoo!

post-1782-0-73927400-1417216310_thumb.jpg

Thank you Nariichi-san!

post-1782-0-19058800-1417216357_thumb.jpg

post-1782-0-89179000-1417216480_thumb.jpg

post-1782-0-19279000-1417216266_thumb.jpg

Plaza Japan

post-1782-0-76612900-1417216397_thumb.jpg

Jaycar

post-1782-0-79794900-1417216438_thumb.jpg

Also have the new Kato double crossovers and Tomix 19D 50th containers in transit from Asakusa.

Edited by katoftw

I ordered a JR Kiha48-500 Umineko (2-Car Set) from Plamoya for 5500 JPY.  It will be my first Tomix Kiha. 

There are still some left, if anyone is interested. 

http://plamoya.com/en/limited-edition-jr-kiha48500-umineko-2car-set-p-97069.html

Good call! Thanks!

The Umineko is not high on my list, in fact, it isn't even in my list to get, but at that price, that's a different story...

Here's another at 42% off:

http://plamoya.com/en/series-1831500perseries-189-limited-express-hamakaiji-6car-set-m-p-63143.html

MicroAce A0581 Series 183-1500/Series 189 Limited Express [Hamakaiji] (6-Car Set)

Too good to resist. So I went ahead to order the umineko ~~ :)

Together with the Tomytec 1/2000 scale Sky Tree model with blinking LED lights that I've been searching for a long time as it is highly sold out at most places. Thought that will 'light-up' the layout a little ~~ 

Here's something weird about the shipping on Plamoya. It seems quite cheap as compared to other retail shops, and the strange thing is that EMS is actually cheaper than SAL! Please see attached screenshot of the shipping rates for my order (just the Umineko and the Sky Tree)

Other than the sales, the store has very 'weird' pricing on the train models... Some as high as $900! But there are some rare models that are available that is usually sold out elsewhere...

post-819-0-37778000-1417220454_thumb.jpg

This is what pops up when I access the plamoya site from in Japan:

post-1206-0-69131900-1417225035_thumb.gif

(Nothing that can't be circumvented but when this kind of thing happnes, usually it's the other round)

It seems they are targeted at sales OUTSIDE Japan, which explains some of the really high prices for common items.

*Just found out the Umineko is no longer in stock... Did I happen to take the last one? :)

Edited by JR500 のぞみ

Had a fail with this.  One of the couplers attached to the motor car is broken.  Luckily it is the common TN couple found on many Kato models.  Just have to order a replacement.

I thought the set was brand new?

Not too large a miss though, and at the price it's still a steal.

I got a recent bigger miss on Yahoo Auction. An Odakyu 20000 RSE Asagiri without ANY couplers at all on ALL 7 carriages....