What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

3 hours ago, disturbman said:

I thought we had agreed that the "problem" started when you had more than four of the same train, or eight of the same locomotive. You still have some room to play.

And you should definitely buy more.

Does three of the same locomotive count? As in the exact same locomotive, not multiple models of the same class.

50999485661_fdb7255c47_z.jpg

MicroAce DF91-1 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

• Like 5
20 minutes ago, Dinosbacsi said:

That's a nice load of Shorties! Is the 4 full orange cars a set of 201 series? Looks really nice.

Yes, the 4 loose orange ones are 201 series.  But they are earmarked for potential use for conversion parts; I have a number of different parts options under consideration to use for the ends to make E131 & E132 for the Suigun Line using 223-1000 parts to splice side panels.  Junk cars and parts are cheap enough at YAJ that it's easiest just to buy a pile of optional parts to have on hand for direct study and pondering.

***edit***
There are many Shorty treasures to be had amongst the so-called 'junk' listings on YAJ.  Just go to the B-Train listings, sort by price low to high and start scrolling.  Left-over parts are often listed too, including sheets of stickers.  So if you find a nice set but without stickers, odds are good you can find them separately.

That's how we wound up with the 4-car orange Fresh Hitachi.  Last year, we scooped up a full 7-car red set with power unit and Kato bogies, but I failed to think to go hunting for stickers.  So this time, I went hunting for stickers for the red set, and the best option to acquire them came with the 4 orange cars and more than enough stickers for both; and the 7 red & 4 orange combo is a legit consist!  We'll run the 4 cars at home, and the 7 or full 11 at T-Trak shows when there will be much more mainline track to run on.

Edited by Cat
  • Like 3

This is probably where I admit to having an entire class of Swiss electric locos in HO...

All four of them. The Re 4/4 IV was a prototype for a new SBB loco, but for whatever reason they abandoned it after building four and went for the Re460s instead. I have 10101-04 from Marklin.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, Cat said:

Yes, the 4 loose orange ones are 201 series.  But they are earmarked for potential use for conversion parts;

Understandable, but make a few nice pictures of them at least, the 201 is such a nice looking unit!

2 hours ago, Cat said:

There are many Shorty treasures to be had amongst the so-called 'junk' listings on YAJ.  Just go to the B-Train listings, sort by price low to high and start scrolling.  Left-over parts are often listed too, including sheets of stickers.  So if you find a nice set but without stickers, odds are good you can find them separately.

True. I also ordered a similar 4 car set 201 series recently, in Chuo-Sobu Line colors. Maybe I will try to look for a sticker sheet for it as well, or see if I can use some of the stickers from the 205 series set I have.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, railsquid said:

Does three of the same locomotive count? As in the exact same locomotive, not multiple models of the same class.

50999485661_fdb7255c47_z.jpg

MicroAce DF91-1 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

The one on the right is clearly different, Squid. You're safe for now!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just for the record, from left to right:

- DF40-1 (later renumbered to DF91-1)

- DF91-1

- DF91-1 (as rebuilt to work with DF50s)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Those are very interesting!  So are these prototypes that didn't go into production before the DF50/DD54 became the first big production diesels?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, railsquid said:

- DF91-1

Ok, I admit it. You have a problem, Squid 🤣

• Haha 2
16 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

They were probably all crappy or broken runners that needed a 5 min fix found in the bargain bin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, disturbman said:

I thought we had agreed that the "problem" started when you had more than four of the same train, or eight of the same locomotive. You still have some room to play.

No one would ever buy that many models of the same type/series right? That would be preposterous an totally uncouth, I mean who would even think of such a thing!

Not me no, no! There's nothing to see over here, absolutely nothing! But.. just asking for a friend, we don't count different formations, variations within the same series right? I mean, not that there's anything to count even in that case, no like I said there's nothing to see here *walks away slowly*

12 hours ago, marknewton said:

Oh. I've got eight D51s, and a ninth on order. 😳

With around 1,135 locomotives built, I'd say you're still around 1,126 units short of the ideal prototype to model ratio of 1:1* (as hereby declared by decree, by me of course, any opposition to this rule will be considered "fake news" and can be ignored, coffeve), so I'd say you barely got started!😉

Seriously though, especially considering you're modeling in H0, that is quite impressive. Though as the D51形 is a beautiful machine, can't say I blame ya.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, this conversation totally hasn't made posting my latest additions more embarrassing or anything, nope not at all.

Early last month, I received both of the new Tomix 0系 releases, a 1974~1976/1978 16 car H formation (H1~H30 sub-group) (98730/98732) and a 1972~1979 16 car K formation (98731/98732):

DSC_0165

DSC_0167

DSC_0164

Ever since I started researching the 0系 shinkansen I've been particularly fascinated by the development/changes this series underwent during the 1970's, and especially the period between December 1969 and the same month in 1976. With the 0系 formations going through a number of reformations, the addition of new car types and the retirement of the earliest cars.

The Hikari formations in particular (of which this H formation is one of them) went through a number of significant changes.

The Tomix model represents one of the formations which were part of the H1~H30 sub-group. This group, though in terms of composition (almost) exactly the same as the H41~96 group (H31~H40 were slightly different, but that's a story for another time, *hint* *wink* *wink* 😉), what set apart this group of formations is that they were composed primarily of batch 1 and 2 cars, the very first 0系 cars to be built.

The batch 1 and 2 cars had been built for the opening of the Tōkaidō shinkansen, between March and September of 1964. With the batch 1 cars originally used to compose 6 car formations (as was the original proposal) and the batch 2 cars ordered during the construction of the batch 1 cars, as J.N.R. realised quite early that they would be better served by forming fixed 12 car formations, as opposed to coupling two six car formations together during the busier periods, as originally intended. As such, 30 twelve car formations would be available when the Tōkaidō Shinkansen opened on the 1st of October 1964. Using the original classification system for the Shinkansen, they were classified as formations: N1~N6, R1~R6, K1~K6, S1~S6 and H1~H6. As they were originally intended as general purpose formations (i.e. all formations were used for both Hikari and Kodama services) there was no difference whatsoever between the formations. In 1966, after J.N.R. had decided to start forming specific Hikari and Kodama formations, the 30 oldest formations were kept as Hikari formations, while the 20 newer formations (as had been built as part of batches 3~7 between 1965~1966) were reorganised into Kodama formations (split evenly into two distinct groups, though this will be, once again, a story for another time).

With the upcoming Ōsaka Expo, in 1970, and the rising passenger numbers on the Shinkansen, it was decided to extend the Hikari formations from 12 to 16 car formations.

Between December 1969 and February 1970, 120 additional cars (30 25形700番台, 60 26形700番台 and 30 25形500番台 cars) would be built. They were added as cars 7, 8, 13 and 14, with the rest of the formation staying unchanged. All of the additional cars were part of production batch 10.

In 1972, the formation symbols would change for the first time since the opening of the Shinkansen. The new system would change from a system based on the manufacturer of the specific formation, to one based on the intended use of the formation (as the additional cars added as part of batch 10 to the mentioned Hikari formation, as well as the Kodama formations to a lesser extend, were often not produced by the same manufacturer as the original formation, this system started to become unattainable by 1970). As such formations N1~N6 became H1~H6, R1~R6 became H7~H12, K1~K6 became H13~H18, S1~S6 became H19~H24 and H1~H6 became H25~H30, together forming the H1~H30 group of formations.

The upcoming opening of the final section of the Sanyō Shinkansen, in March of 1975 meant another change for the H formations.

As even the fastest proposed services for the combined Tōkaidō/Sanyō Shinkansen between Tōkyō and Hakata would still take around 7 hours to complete the entire trip, the two, 35形, buffet cars (combined buffet and normal car seating) were no longer enough for such a long journey.

As such, a 36形 dining car was developed, which would be combined with an accompanying 27形 car. They would be inserted as cars 7 and 8, which after some reorganising of both the green cars (15形 and 16形, from car 9/10 to cars 11/12), a number of the normal cars (26形 cars 7/8->5/6 and car 6->10) as well as one of the 35形 cars (car 5->9) resulted in the following composition:

<-Hakata 21形(1) - 26形0番台(2) - 25形0番台(3) - 26形200番台(4) - 25形700番台(5) - 26形700番台(6) - 27形(7) - 36形(8) - 35形(9) - 26形200番台(10) - 15形(11) - 16形(12) - 25形500番台(13) - 26形0番台(14) - 25形0番台(15) - 22形 Tōkyō->

After this reorganisation the two remaining surplus cars, cars 11 (an even numbered 35形 buffet car) and 14 (a 26形700番台 normal car) were to be used, combined with new built, batch 16~19 cars, to form formations H44~H86 between 1974 and 1975.

As such, formations H1~H30 were reorganised between May and August of 1974, all new cars were part of batch 17. At the same time, the pre batch 14 cars (February 1972) which were a part of the H formations were modified with the same continuous ventilation system introduced by the batch 14 cars. This was to allow all of the H formations to operate services west of Okayama on the Sanyō Shinkansen (this was needed because of the many (long) tunnels on this section of the Sanyō Shinkansen, the older cars would simply close the ventilation vents when entering a tunnel to ease the pressure differential in the passenger cabin, however, with the longer tunnels this would obviously not be the best solution. As there would be no Kodama services on the Sanyō Shinkansen (a number of Hikari services would stop at all stations) only the older H formation cars would receive the mentioned modifications, the K formations would stay unchanged).

During the same period, it was noticed that the oldest 0系 cars were aging faster than originally anticipated (a 20 year service life was originally envisioned). This was particularly noticeable at the oldest cars in the H formations, with their exclusive use on Hikari services ever since the first revision in 1966, they were traveling, on average, a lot more kilometres per day than their K formation sisters did. As the aging process was already manifesting it self with technical issues (cracks caused by metal fatigue were starting compromise the air tightness of some cars) and may lead to further operational problems (possibly higher chances for mechanical failure in the future) in 1974 it was decided to retire and scrap the oldest cars after they reached around 13 years of service (which corresponded to around  ~6.000.000 Km for the H formations).

Starting in the second half of 1976, the first of the Batch 1/2 cars would be retired and scrapped. The retired cars were replaced by the first, small window, batch 22 cars (the 0系1000番台 cars, built between 1976~1980 as batches 22~29.), which for the oldest H formations meant that cars 1~4, 9~12, 15 and 16 would be replaced by 0系 1000番台 cars, with the 35形 buffet car being replaced by a new type of buffet car, the 37形 (which would be only produced for the 0系1000番台, and later the 0系2000番台 cars). The resulting formations would receive the Nh formation designation if the 21形/22形 end cars were replaced by a 0系1000番台 car (or later the 0系2000番台 cars), though for the newer H formations, where only the older 35形 or a 26形 was to be replaced they would retain their H formation designation.

The batch 1/2 cars of the formations H1~H30 would be retired and scrapped between the 21st of October 1976 (formation H20->Nh20) and the 12th of September 1978 (formation H28->Nh28)*

DSC_0159

- With the introduction of the batch 7 cars in February of 1968, grab irons were installed above the cab windows. Though this is a small detail, the 2014 Tomix releases still had the grab irons as part of the mold. Though it's not really that big of a deal, it is nonetheless incorrect for any model portraying the earlier production batches of the 0系.

With the latest release they have rectified this, as both formations lack the grab irons. It is really nice to see Tomix making small improvements to their 0系 models, even though they have the market more or less cornered. The blue/green molding on the windscreen pillars adds to the overall impression as well, as does the (printed) destination sabot (those were originally used to insert the destination/train boards, they were eliminated for new built cars from batch 11 (March 1970~) and replaced by destination displays from batch 14 (February 1973~) onward).

unfortunately, the louvers in the roof cover (the silver "roof" is actually a roof cover, the structural roof is situated below this cover) are still incorrect for a batch 1/2 car, and is actually based on the form used from batch 6 (June 1967~) onward. The same goes for the bonnet cover, which had visible attachment screws prior to batch 14. Can't win them all I guess, though to me it doesn't distract from the fact that it's still an excellent representation of the early 0系0番台 cars.

DSC_0154

- 35形

DSC_0155

- 36形

DSC_0156

- The 36形 was unique among shinkansen cars, as it was one of the few cars with a corridor layout. The dining section of the car was located on the sea-side while there was a corridor on the mountain side for passengers/personal wishing/needing to cross this car. Because of this corridor, guests who were dining didn't have to be disturbed by people walking around. Originally, the partition wall between the dining section and the passenger passageway was windowless. However, as the partition wall was on the Fujisan side, passengers complained that they couldn't watch Fujisan while dining, so by 1979 windows were fitted to the partition walls of all 36形 cars.

As the model represents a formation before this work was done, it should have a solid partition, which Tomix has actually modeled accurately, which pleasantly surprised me.

DSC_0157

- 27形

DSC_0158

- Starting from batch 16 (September 1973~), the emergency exit hatches of new built cars were replaced by unitised versions. This was done to make the manufacturing process simpler, and therefore cheaper (the emergency exit + surrounding structure is constructed as a single unit). This design would be used on all batch 16~29 cars (the late 0系0番台 cars (minus all 36形 cars) and all of the 0系1000番台 (minus the 3, 36形 cars)) with the emergency exit hatches being abolished entirely with the introduction the batch 30 cars (batch 30~38, the 0系2000番台 cars) in 1981.

The destination/reserved/unreserved seat display windows, as mentioned before, can be clearly seen.

DSC_0152

DSC_0175

- 16 car 0系 formations group portrait (plus one sneaky invader)

DSC_0176

- Someone once mentioned something about large collections and storage...

DSC_0174

-Sander

• Like 8
1 hour ago, gavino200 said:

Worst thing is, Ive had the DF50-esque one on the right for quite a while (was a random early purchase), and had a "WTF? I'm sure I had a DF91-1 already, but not like this" moment when cataloguing the middle one.

45 minutes ago, chadbag said:

They were probably all crappy or broken runners that needed a 5 min fix found in the bargain bin.

The two on the left were certainly discounted enough to make it worth a "what the hell Rule 1 purchase", the middle one needed a bit of cleaning and running in, the blue one on the left shorts the controller out, so will need to look at that.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, 200系 said:

DSC_0176

Thanks for the great write up!  Since you seem to be the expert, what would you say is the best 0 series model to pick up?  Assuming someone was only going to get one.

• Haha 1
21 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

Thanks for the great write up!  Since you seem to be the expert, what would you say is the best 0 series model to pick up?  Assuming someone was only going to get one.

aww common kiha, its like potato chips you cant just have one!

jeff

• Haha 2

I had 3, now I'm back down to one kato set but I wasn't aware there were so many options out there!

20 hours ago, railsquid said:

4 hours ago, 200系 said:

No one would ever buy that many models of the same type/series right? That would be preposterous an totally uncouth, I mean who would even think of such a thing!

Not me no, no! There's nothing to see over here, absolutely nothing! But.. just asking for a friend, we don't count different formations, variations within the same series right? I mean, not that there's anything to count even in that case, no like I said there's nothing to see here *walks away slowly*

I had to pull out the Japan Model Railroader bylaws:

"You shall not possess more than four (4) of same train type or specific subseries and formations, as well as more than eight (8) of the same locomotive design, or collect in excess of prototypical fleet numbers. Allowances are made for variations in liveries and for single passenger or freight cars, as well single or two-car electrical multiple units (EMU) and diesel multiple units (DMU), of which one shall not be allowed to collect more than sixty-four (64) individual cars, as long as the number of cars in collection is not in excess of prototypical fleet numbers. Individual exceptions can be applied for by submitting form JR1987 to the competent authorities."

• Haha 4
9 hours ago, railsquid said:

- DF91-1

I’ve seen illustrations of it painted in brown too but not sure if it was or not. They are nice additions even for the historical significance. Is it you Squid that had the DF90 as well?  

Anyway, today I received a Sendai Rinkai SD55 from Tomix. I need to test run it before I do the Kato knuckle replacement but looks nicely produced. Got the usual silver wheels from Tomix but it’s only the rims showing so I can live with it. The wasp stripes are nicely produced and for ¥5500 it’s a bit of a bargain too. It comes with an additional weight for better traction if needed. 

Also in the box was my last Ohane 25 100 for my Fuji Formation of 14 cars. (HO gauge) I’ll post some pics of the full formation once i get around to lay some track out. Interested to see how long it’ll be.

B3A7C38E-52E1-46CB-952B-AF7DA28CA09E.jpeg

6905629B-FAD7-48A9-B732-B5D9CF203A09.jpeg

A469792F-AFC6-4898-B0A5-CDB74617FC84.jpeg

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, Kamome said:

I’ve seen illustrations of it painted in brown too but not sure if it was or not. They are nice additions even for the historical significance. Is it you Squid that had the DF90 as well?  

This one 😄

49574325547_1ab2f3607e_z.jpg

MicroAce DF90 (DF90-1) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

(another 10 years of this and I'll be able to open the Railsquid Museum of MicroAce 😉 )

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
7 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Yeah i agree that is an impressive write up! And i really AM thinking of getting one since the 0 series seems to be the only one i am missing in the roster ....  the 923-3000 technically is a 0 series but i think i need one in the iconic white and blue... That or i am simply finding an excuse to get something amidst this 'rather low purchases' period to calm my inter demon...  😛

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, railsquid said:

This one 😄

49574325547_1ab2f3607e_z.jpg

MicroAce DF90 (DF90-1) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

(another 10 years of this and I'll be able to open the Railsquid Museum of MicroAce 😉 )

I wish I had Akiba model shops close to me. I’d like a DD50 too but these seem to retain a high used price.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, disturbman said:

I had to pull out the Japan Model Railroader bylaws:

"You shall not possess more than four (4) of same train type or specific subseries and formations, as well as more than eight (8) of the same locomotive design, or collect in excess of prototypical fleet numbers. Allowances are made for variations in liveries and for single passenger or freight cars, as well single or two-car electrical multiple units (EMU) and diesel multiple units (DMU), of which one shall not be allowed to collect more than sixty-four (64) individual cars, as long as the number of cars in collection is not in excess of prototypical fleet numbers. Individual exceptions can be applied for by submitting form JR1987 to the competent authorities."

so... what can I do after Shinkansen number 87? resign? too many modules to compile, another 6 Shinkansen on the way...I'm ruined if also the junk sets for kitbashing required to be listing..  ..🙈    

1 hour ago, Kamome said:

I wish I had Akiba model shops close to me. I’d like a DD50 too but these seem to retain a high used price.

If it's any help, most of this stuff comes via Yahoo Auctions, hang around long enough and something will come up at at an acceptably reasonable price that no-one happens to want too much at that particular time. I was after a DD50 for ages too but not desperate enough to pay the going price, but one came up late last year with the beautiful "junk" label from one of those bigger auction houses who prefer a quick sale and it was mine in almost perfect condition for (checks records) 6,495 yen including postage :D.

• Like 3