What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

5 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

Are you sure about the lighting not working?  The listings for the train seem to say it has LED head and tail lights.
https://www.katomodels.com/product/n/y500

The tail lights are working, but the head lights don't. I looked at videos, and there the head lights aren't working either. You can also see it on the pictures of the link you shared!!

That's weird. I wonder if there's a "dummy/switch" to turn the lights off for the train to be linked in a consist?

This from the hobbysearch page

7) head / taillight, front display lit. Adopted white LED.

Edited by gavino200

The link (at least as translated by Google) says it should work:

• Head / taillight, front display lit. Adopted white LED. 

3 minutes ago, katoftw said:

The headlight are only small next to the destination board.

Ohh. Thats whats going on. I thought the head and tail lights are the same. Its still weird.

Edited by Sascha
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The point of headlights on some of these modern trains is more that others can see the train (and direction) rather than the train itself seeing whats ahead.  Many modern rolling stock have less focused LEDs which fulfill this purpose but don't act or look like traditional headlights of the past.

Edited by Kiha66
  • Like 1

Some older British diesels did not have headlights at all.

I've been told that the reason America had beam-throwing headlights was due to having many unprotected grade crossings. From what I can tell, nearly all of Japan's grade crossings are protected and therefor, beam headlights are not super nessesary.

Indeed. But in the case of the Y500 it will encounter very few crossings, and all of those will be protected. There are IIRC a couple on the Toyoko line, and maybe a couple on the Seibu Ikebukuro and Tobu Tojo lines, depending on how far west they actually go.

All of the Tokyu 5050 series have the same light arrangement, in fact, come to think about it, all the E233s also have the same light arrangement; i.e. only small LED head and tail lights right next to the destination board on the top of the train... All E233s except for one, the E233-2000, which seemingly, seems to be the one that runs in a tunnel like a subway train?  ??? 

The other advantage of having headlights which are markers rather than powerful beams is that train crews keep their night vision. Made it easier to spot the old oil lamps used to illuminate  signal aspects in the semaphore days.

• Like 1

The last of the pre-orders (except the ICE4) has arrived around lunch today.  My daughter tried to abscond with it already.  This one is technically mine (the Sumikko Gurashi, Kitty-Chan 500, and Gudetama trains are her possessions).

IMG_0457.thumb.jpg.70dfa60284dc3404b30eda5e7acbe052.jpgIMG_0458.thumb.jpg.963b33c9b1928db62390394c29d84b22.jpg

Edited by chadbag
Auto correct screwups
  • Like 9
  • Haha 2

Man one of my favs from high school! A friend had one and we zinged all over the place in it! Had to have the seats all the way back flush with the rear bench for us to fit in at both 6’ 4”. We looked like a clown car when we got out.

jeff

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

This may be relevant:

There's an annual Mini Run near me, didn't go last year as it's getting too big for the location IMO. Did film this the year before though.

Edited by Welshbloke
Added video
  • Like 1
On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 3:21 PM, gavino200 said:

I picked up this little old style Mini Cooper today at a train show. 

Mighty cute! Now you need to stick a sofa armchair to the roof and there you have it!

• Haha 2

Ordered, from Reynaulds.com: one 110mm straight and one buffer stop, Z gauge.

The company gave me a gift card for my birthday, and I decided to splash out... on some accessories to sell the idea of a mine-working in the corner of my layout. These two pieces should be enough to create the impression of a narrow gauge railway going into the mine. (I actually looked for a simple small hopper car to put on the track, but couldn't find one.)

• Like 1